As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a free program to convert midis to mp3s

ZeonZeon Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Anyone know? Ive spent about 2 hours looking for a free program, i can find lots of paid programs, and trial versions that will only let me save 10-60 seconds of a midi file, but i need something that will use the microsoft midi table (my soundcard sucks ass at midi decoding) and save to either wav or mp3 files.

Can anyone help me?

btworbanner.jpg
Check out my band, click the banner.
Zeon on

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe iTunes will do this.

change your encoding options to MP3.

Add the midis to the iTunes library.

Then right click and select "Convert to MP3"

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    well i was going to suggest Audacity, but it looks to me like it doesn't actually take midi files. Anyone know if it does or not?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    well i was going to suggest Audacity, but it looks to me like it doesn't actually take midi files. Anyone know if it does or not?

Project>Import MIDI?

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Project>Import MIDI?

you know, i didn't actually look at that, because i'm actually retarded.

:(

edit: and i've been using it for editing music this week, too. Although i could still do with a clue as to how i'm actually meant to do anything with it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, audacity wont play the files (gives me an error about my output device), but itunes will... still uses my soundcard to process the midis but i guess thats as good as im going to get for free... Thanks guys.

If anyone has any other suggestions too, id still like something better.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Use Winamp to play the midi with the output being a .wav file (Set that in the output section, you can choose a hard drive instead of audio device). Then use any MP3 encoder to turn the .wav into an MP3.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Use Winamp to play the midi with the output being a .wav file (Set that in the output section, you can choose a hard drive instead of audio device). Then use any MP3 encoder to turn the .wav into an MP3.

You know you can just go straight to mp3 right?

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

You know you can just go straight to mp3 right?

Oh? Then they've added that since I last used the hard drive output option. Well, then, there's the easy way.

EDIT: Just had a look. Yep, it has MP3 output. So, play the MIDI in Winamp using the Disk_Out plugin with MP3 set and voila.

Nova_C on