As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero 2, 360 or PS2

klokklok Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Was wondering what I should pick up GH2 for, right now I am leaning towards the PS2 since I might pick up GH1 in the future. But is there any real differences between the two? Does the 360 version have more songs (besides the ones you buy off live)?

klok on

• Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    klok wrote: »
    Was wondering what I should pick up GH2 for, right now I am leaning towards the PS2 since I might pick up GH1 in the future. But is there any real differences between the two? Does the 360 version have more songs (besides the ones you buy off live)?

GH2 For 360 has one new song for each set, so about... 10 new songs I think. They're also releasing GH1 songs as DLC.

Quintile on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It has ten more songs available right off the bat, but only two (Rock and Roll Hoochie-Koo and The Trooper) are worth a shit.

Couple this with the bad controller (compared to the PS2's), and if you really don't care about Rock Band at all, get the PS2 version. GHIII will be on PS2 anyway, and cheaper to boot.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like the 360 controller better actually.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So the controllers are different?

klok on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It has ten more songs available right off the bat, but only two (Rock and Roll Hoochie-Koo and The Trooper) are worth a shit.

Don't let this one's opinion sour you on the new tracks available on the 360. Possum Kingdom, Hush, Billion Dollar Babies, and Dead! are all fun songs to play. IMHO one of the biggest draws for the 360 version is that you can download GH1 songs (for a fee) and play them using GH2's improved HO/PO system.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I like the 360 controller better actually.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    IMHO one of the biggest draws for the 360 version is that you can download GH1 songs (for a fee) and play them using GH2's improved HO/PO system.

Yet the songs that would benefit the most from this (Cowboys from Hell, Texas Flood, Godzilla) are absent. Of the 12 songs that have been re-released, the only one that's been fun to play with the new HO/PO system is Frankenstein.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So what's the difference between the console's controllers?

klok on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    IMHO one of the biggest draws for the 360 version is that you can download GH1 songs (for a fee) and play them using GH2's improved HO/PO system.

Yet the songs that would benefit the most from this (Cowboys from Hell, Texas Flood, Godzilla) are absent. Of the 12 songs that have been re-released, the only one that's been fun to play with the new HO/PO system is Frankenstein.

Absent for now. They're obviously still releasing content. And that's not even including other features that the 360 version offers like achievement related dick waving.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited July 2007
    The 360 controller is smaller and the buttons are closer together. I really don't like it.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Absent for now. They're obviously still releasing content. And that's not even including other features that the 360 version offers like achievement related dick waving.

At 500 points for 3 songs, it hardly seems worth buying them anyway.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ashcroft wrote: »

Which is exactly why they're not selling.
    They're selling very well

What's not worth it to you may be of value to someone else. To discount an optional feature because you don't want to shell out the $6.25 has no bearing here whatsoever.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Or, you could just get the PS2 version of GH1, with all the GH1 songs, for less than the cost of buying the points for the 4 three track GH1 packs released on the 360 so far.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Which is exactly why they're not selling.
    They're selling very well

What's not worth it to you may be of value to someone else. To discount an optional feature because you don't want to shell out the $6.25 has no bearing here whatsoever.
    I think it's a very valid complaint. They force you to buy three songs. What if you're not interested in one or two of the songs in a pack that has one song you're dying for? It's a hard pill to swallow to be forced to purchase the goddamn Donnas song in order to get Frankenstein.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I actually started another thread before I saw this one so I'll ask my question here:

I currently own the following:

Xbox 360
    PS2
    PS3

Guitar Hero 2 & Controller for Xbox 360

This week I'd like to buy Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s for PS2. I realize that I'm going to have to buy a new guitar controller since I don't think the 360 one will work with the PS2. I don't mind doing this as I don't think having 2 controllers is a bad idea. However, I have a few questions:

1) Is there a controller (3rd party is OK) that could work with both my PS2 and my 360?

2) Is there any way to get a Ps2 controller working on the PS3? If I remember correctly the PS2 controllers use the standard PS2 controller interface, not USB. Is there a USB controller that will work?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Or, you could just get the PS2 version of GH1, with all the GH1 songs, for less than the cost of buying the points for the 4 three track GH1 packs released on the 360 so far.

See, that would bring into the play the differences between the PS2 version and the 360 version which you have failed to mention. When placed side by side, the 360 version is clearly superior. There are only 2 pros to the PS2 versions. One of which is price but the difference is $10-15 (new) and the other is the controller which is purely subjective anyway.

So he could buy GH1 for the PS2 and possbily save a few bucks but was that even his question in the first place? He wants to know which version of GH2 better and the 360 version boasts more features than the PS2 version.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    He said he might want to get GH1 in the future. GH1 only costs about £18 on its own. If they release all the songs on the 360 at the current price rate, they will cost 5000 points, or 7500 with the bonus songs. 500 points are £4.25, so you're looking at trebling the cost of GH1. Plus, GH2 itself is cheaper on the PS2. Having slighty better versions of the GH1 songs to download is hardly worth trebling the cost if you have the option to get a cheaper version.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It seems like he's not even going to bother with DLC content from his original post, so side by side, the only difference between the two is ten extra songs, Leaderboards (big whoop), and the controller. I would say the controller preference has a lot to do with that decision. Of course, we don't know his preference, but so far people either love or hate the 360 controller.

I'm not pissed at my purchase of GHII for 360. But I knew that I was basically paying $90 to play The Trooper, and Rock and Roll Hoochie-Koo was a nice perk.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    He said he might want to get GH1 in the future. GH1 only costs about £18 on its own. If they release all the songs on the 360 at the current price rate, they will cost 5000 points, or 7500 with the bonus songs. 500 points are £4.25, so you're looking at trebling the cost of GH1. Plus, GH2 itself is cheaper on the PS2. Having slighty better versions of the GH1 songs to download is hardly worth trebling the cost if you have the option to get a cheaper version.

IF he gets all the songs. And I can't believe that I forgot this the first time but the multiplayer in GH1 sucks. There's nothing to it. Once I got GH2 I just about stopped playing GH1 completely except for once in a while when I wanted to play a few songs from the first game. Now with the DLC I don't have to make the choice between playing Infected or playing coop with my friends. I can do both.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's also the fact that you can use the controller from the 360 in GH3 and Rock Band as well.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    With 80's comming out I suppose your taste in music might also come into play. As of now I think its still a PS2 only release.

I wonder if Guitar Hero 3 for PS3 will allow you to use the guitar for 80's and Guitar Hero 1.

powersurge on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I bought GH2 for a friend for her birthday because she only owns a PS2 and that'll probably the only thing she owns unless she picks up a Wii someday.

I won't be buying GH2 for myself until I pick up a 360. Some people feel cheated by the DLC on the 360 version but I really don't because I'm not paying to play GH1 songs again, which I could just pop GH1 into my PS2 to do anytime. I'm paying to play GH1 songs in co-op with my friends so to me $6.25/3 songs is just fine since I'll only buy the song packs that I want anyways.

See, the fact that you seem to like Rock and Roll Hoochie-Koo really makes me wonder if I wouldn't love the other additional songs. :P

Does anyone have a list of the additional songs in the 360 version handy? I had no idea Possum Kingdom was in it and I'm wondering if there's anything else I didn't know about that may speed up my purchase of a 360.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

See, the fact that you seem to like Rock and Roll Hoochie-Koo really makes me wonder if I wouldn't love the other additional songs. :P

Zuh?

And I'm not discounting the quality of the other songs; I like Possum Kingdom and Dead. But they're simply repetitive, and not fun to play if you're at all good at the game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    hahaha

Yeah that's what I assumed, just making a bad joke ;-)

But it's like I've said before I love the repetative and more simplistic songs just as much as the more challenging ones because for one it gives me an option for a nice break when I need one and two it helps make the game more appealing to my friends who don't actually own the game themselves.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    1. "Dead!" - My Chemical Romance (The Black Parade, 2006) http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3KnDvG0L10

2. "The Trooper" - Iron Maiden (Piece of Mind, 1983) http://youtube.com/watch?v=m-reSN0KVXI

3. "Billion Dollar Babies" - Alice Cooper (Billion Dollar Babies, 1973) http://youtube.com/watch?v=fchUH5YCZKc

4. "Hush" - Deep Purple (Shades of Deep Purple, 1968) http://youtube.com/watch?v=L58M88CweFg

5. "Life Wasted" - Pearl Jam (Pearl Jam, 2006) http://youtube.com/watch?v=NoFbDtGo-JM

6. "Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo" - Rick Derringer (King Biscuit Flower Hour, 1973) http://youtube.com/watch?v=3IXe6A3iq7Q

7. "Possum Kingdom" - The Toadies (Rubberneck, 1994) http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dpgh1MSRung

8. "Salvation" - Rancid (Let's Go, 1994) http://youtube.com/watch?v=mg-MrqIjqxo

I got this off of some old blog, so none of the Youtube links work anymore.

Edit: Also, Bonus tracks
    "Kicked to the Curb" - Noble Rot
    "Drink Up" - Ounce of Self

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Awesome, thanks for the list :)

Also you're a bastard. I'm supposed to be saving money/paying off debt right now, not itching to go drop a few hundred dollars on another console :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's no way I could justify buying Guitar Hero 2 for 360 at this point in time, what with 80s right around the corner, and Rock Band not long after that with spiffy new guitars.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'll be getting Rock Band on launch day but I might skip the 80s since I have at least one friend who will probably buy it almost as soon as it comes out.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're getting Rock Band then I'd hang on for that to be released, buy the guitar edition and then buy Guitar Hero 2 (360) as Game only. If you can wait.

The PS2 does have:

Guitar Hero #1
    Guitar Hero #2
    Guitar Hero 80's
    Guitar Hero #3

Whereas 360:

Guitar Hero #2 (+ 10 songs over ps2)
    Guitar Hero #3
    Rock Band
    DLC - Expensive Guitar Hero #1 songs.

From that you should be able to figure out what you want more.

And nope, no guitar for use on 360 AND PS2, which is a shame.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    bluemaggitbluemaggit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i really find the 360 controller alot easier to function so i say go with the 360 version! plus the extra songs..i mean why not

bluemaggit on
    .deftones.bluemaggit.banner.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you already have a 360, then I would probably suggest the 360 version. You do get 10 more songs, but it is 10 bucks more. I cant say how the guitar feels compared to the PS2 version, but it cant be that bad. And trust me, you probably wont be playing GH1 too much anyways once you get used to GH2. Its almost like playing an entirely new game in itself. Also, the DLC wont seem that expensive when you realize that they are charging you full price for a 30 song expansion pack for the 80's version (which I am probably not going to pick up).

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah but, and this is totally a personal preference thing, the option for not only Possum Kingdom but the ability to get songs I want from GH1 in order to play them GH2 co-op style makes me lean much more towards the 360 version.

So basically at this point my persoinal prefernces are killing my save money plan. Damnit >_<

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, even though I own GHI & GHII (with multiple guitars) for PS2, I broke down and picked up a copy for the 360 last night. Was it a waste of money? Yeah. Am I still happy with the purchase? Yeah. The PS2 stays hooked up to the main TV downstairs, so this lets me play on the 360 upstairs in my study. The extra songs are nice so far, and plugged into my LCD things look so much clearer I actually think it's easier to play.

shrouded on
    Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Something else to consider is that GHII has the lag calibrator, while GHI does not. This shouldn't make a difference for everybody, but depending on your TV set-up it might. Me, when I calibrate GHII on my TV (Samsung DLP) I get about a 65 milisecond callibration. This synchs everything up nicely for me, however, since GHI doesn't have this feature, it makes GHI almost impossible to play anymore. I haven't gone back to it in months.

Also, dunno if anyone mentioned it, but the GHI DLC songs for the 360 also have the co-op parts to them, don't they? That's something they did not have in GHI...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    The bonus songs in the 360 version are some of the best and most fun in the game, for me. My one disappointment is Hoochie Koo - I love the song, but playing it is a bitch. Hush and Possum Kingdom, though, are joy.

And Billion Dollar Babies.

And Life Waster.

And The Trooper.

If you have an HDTV and surround sound, it adds a lot to the experience, as well. GH1 and GH2 on PS2 are... pretty ugly. The graphics on the 360 are much crisper (which isn't a huge deal, but it's nice), and the audio is fantastic (which is a huge deal, to me). Crank up the sound in Detroit and listen to the crowd going wild around you... It's incredible.

Also, I'm an achievement whore. :)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, the 360 version is just a much better game overall. The improved sound helps tremendously. The only problem I've found is that the X-Plorer is really, really badly made. My whammy bar is completely limp, you have to actually hold it in place while you're playing or swivel it back up every time you want to use it, and the strum bar feels really flimsy and actually squeaks now. I'm not even rough with it, and I've used it less than my PS2 guitar that's still in near-mint condition.

Blakout on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So? My whammy bar and strum bar are exactly like that on my PS2 one.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Even though Guitar Hero II on the 360 looks GREAT with all the updated visuals on a HDTV, the controller kills the deal with me. I would go straight through songs on expert on the ps2 version easily, but when I played the 360 version the controller would stab my stomach and my arm making strumming more difficult and overall more annoying.

RCagent on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My dream is a guitar that allows me to do rediculous windmilling without breaking combos due to bounce back of the strum bar.

I know this isn't going to happen but, damn, that'd be fucking awesome since that's the extent of my rocking out. I actually refuse to play Hey You on anything harder than Medium because the long holds on Medium (as opposed to the multiple notes required on higher difficulties) allow me to do this without fucking up on notes.

HappylilElf on