As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wing Commander ARENA: IT'S OUT NOW!!1

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would doubt Privateer 2 was that rare, with copies going for $5ish on eBay...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I would doubt Privateer 2 was that rare, with copies going for $5ish on eBay...

Well, that's good news, then.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thinking about it, maybe it's because it would have required a second computer altogether to run just Priv2?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's quite possible that they don't even consider it a Wing Commander game anymore.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »
    Every Wing Commander? LIES!!!! Where is Prophecy!!!

It's on the right hand side of the table. Along with Privateer which are both unlisted for the PC...

I actually meant Prophecy Gold, which I've been looking for, for ages D:

Oh, and slightly off topic, the article linked to earlier in the thread for Privateer Online depresses the hell out of me. Severely. It just sounds like my damned dream game.

Aoi on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i would love for someone to make a space-trading game for Live Arcade. Looking at the original incarnations of Elite, it could easily be done, and probably still look half-decent.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So what do you guys think? It's...not what I expected.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's not bad as long as you're looking for a little arcade action. I like it, and I'm up for online whenever I'm on. Send an invite guys.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Haven't bought it yet...I'm waiting to see if I might get a review code for it. *crosses fingers*

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I bought it, and I got 5 ships for Humans, and 4 Ships for the Kilrathi. Kilraths tend to have better hulls and shields, humans are quicker. Still haven't figured out all the devices, but still is pretty fun.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have no xobxe!

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have no xobxe!

Must you scream?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I went in with a completely open mind, totally willing to give it a chance. Since I have to leave for work in a few moments, I'll express the change of emotion this game left me with as such:

:? D::| :x :cry:

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    I have no xobxe!

Must you scream?

He has no mouth!
    I went in with a completely open mind, totally willing to give it a chance. Since I have to leave for work in a few moments, I'll express the change of emotion this game left me with as such:

Mine was more like this:

:!: :?: O_o :...: D: :x :|:cry:

I'm a pretty emotional guy...

Anyway, I'll wait to get the full version to pass judgment on it.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've been enjoying it alot guys. The ships are different enough that it makes it fun, and offline is entertaining. I've played exactly 1 game online, and it was... different. Kilrathi vs Terran, I was Terran. Ran on of the Vanguards, and had about 10-12 kills. My teammate has about 13-15, the other team has about 8 total. We wrecked em.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    I have no xobxe!

Must you scream?

He has no mouth!

Mine was more like this:

But why did you people fell like that, and what did you expect from the game?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have no xobxe!

Must you scream?

He has no mouth!

Mine was more like this:

I didn't read anything about it...I thought it was going to be Armada-like or something.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have no xobxe!

Must you scream?

He has no mouth!

Mine was more like this:

To put it bluntly, I thought it felt like someones computer science project. I expected simplistic, but for what the game is, and how the controls feel, and how the ships move, you might as well be playing bumper cars with power ups. I really really went into this with an open mind, I mean hell man, I'm one of the biggest defenders of Shadowrun. But this game? It's an overly simplistic top down arena shooter that really feels like nothing more than bumper cars with a Wing Commander theme tacked on. I really did want to like it, but really really didn't.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, it's supposed to be a Subspace-like pretty arcade game.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have no xobxe!

Must you scream?

He has no mouth!

Mine was more like this:

To put it bluntly, I thought it felt like someones computer science project. I expected simplistic, but for what the game is, and how the controls feel, and how the ships move, you might as well be playing bumper cars with power ups. I really really went into this with an open mind, I mean hell man, I'm one of the biggest defenders of Shadowrun. But this game? It's an overly simplistic top down arena shooter that really feels like nothing more than bumper cars with a Wing Commander theme tacked on. I really did want to like it, but really really didn't.

Yall on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is this the part of the thread where everyone backpedals and says:

"Gee, I don't see how anyone could play WING COMMANDER Arena and expect it to be anything like Wing Commander. Wing Commander and Wing Commander Arena are two completely different things people, don't be stupid."

Maybe they should have called it Subspace Arena w/Wing Commander Skins

UFO Aftershock did the same thing. All the while they were promoting it, They couldn't stop saying about how they were the spiritual successor to X-Com. X-Com this, X-Com that. Then the game comes out and people find out that it really is nothing like X-Com. Suddenly the developers start backpedaling, talking about how UFO and X-Com are two completely different games and they don't know why people would link the two.

Still expecting this to lead to a revival of the space sim Wing Commander, are we?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure expecting it.. Asshole.
    Once again your lame ass anaglogies have nothing to do with the issue at hand. I'm certainly not backpedaling, and so aren't the developers at EA. Nothing has changes, everyone who cares about Wing Commander always knew that Arena was going to be exactly what it is: a really arcadey multiplayer 2d shooter. Lots of people seem to be loving it, judging by comments going around.

Arena is most definitely a real Wing Commander game because 1) it's set in the same universe, with the same background and storyline, and 2) because the developers say so.

You should remember that EA not only funded most Wing Commander games released in the past, but they are also the owners of the IP. You should also remember that lots of people bitched about Wing Commander3, 4 and Prophecy, when they were released, spouting the same crap as you do now "Oh it's not Wing Commander because it's full 3D and it has FMV instead of computer graphics, it's not WC because the Kilrathi are not in it, it's not WC because Blair is not the hero".

So yeah, the dogs bark while the caravan moves by.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah, maybe could've been a bit less of a bell-end there. Me, i wasn't expecting a 'classic' Wing Commander experience from it, as it seems others weren't, but i'm gonna give it a shot tonight and see how it plays. And hey, if i don't enjoy it, i'll try not to be a dick to those that do.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    yeah, maybe could've been a bit less of a bell-end there. Me, i wasn't expecting a 'classic' Wing Commander experience from it, as it seems others weren't, but i'm gonna give it a shot tonight and see how it plays. And hey, if i don't enjoy it, i'll try not to be a dick to those that do.

My point isn't even that Arena is good or not. My point is that it's Wing Commander, and that I believe EA is about to revive the franchise.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I haven't played this, yet. But am I correct in assuming that the game feels like someone had a pretty decent idea for an arcade shooter, but couldn't think of a style or backstory so they just tacked on the Wing Commander license? It sounds like this has nothing in common with a proper Wing Commander game.

Lach on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

My point isn't even that Arena is good or not. My point is that it's Wing Commander, and that I believe EA is about to revive the franchise.

yeah, i just mean someone coming in here going "WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW? AHAHAHAHAH" is, frankly, pathetic.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    don't make ridiculous claims that a top down shooter is going to lead to a space simulator then? Especially when its been shown in the past that when a company does that, they're just trying to bait you into buying their current game.

I never said Arena would be bad, just made the argument that you might be jumping the gun that EA is just itching to make a space sim, and they're just waiting on the "faithful" to buy their current game. You're the ones getting overly defensive in the face of criticism.

Penny Arcade is known for calling people on their bullshit...consider yourself called out.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    but we've know for a while now that it's played on a 2d plane in an arena. When i first heard that, i was a bit disappointed that it wasn't something closer to what we expect from Wing Commander, but hey. And sure, it may not be a sign that EA are itching to make a new space sim or whatever, but that's not what you were 'calling people out' on before.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    don't make ridiculous claims that a top down shooter is going to lead to a space simulator then? Especially when its been shown in the past that when a company does that, they're just trying to bait you into buying their current game.

I never said Arena would be bad, just made the argument that you might be jumping the gun that EA is just itching to make a space sim, and they're just waiting on the "faithful" to buy their current game. You're the ones getting overly defensive in the face of criticism.

Penny Arcade is known for calling people on their bullshit...consider yourself called out.

Nothing has been shown out, WTF.
    Why would EA invest time and money making a really cool 64 page book filled with pure background material like STAR*SOLDIER and then give it away for free, if all they wanted was selling a silly 800 points game on XBLA? EA even printed a lot of hardcopies and sent them to Fan sites.

They could have thrown together a crummy 8 page leaflet and called the day. Of course, it's advertising, but Arena costs a mere 800 points. Even if Arena is a overwhelming success, it won't make much money for EA.

If Arena is an end in itself, instead of a means to something else, then EA forgot everything they've ever know about making money.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I don't disagree, and wasn't really meaning to bash the game. It's just not my thing. Why Voodoo decided that this would mean backpedaling as far as whether or not EA was using this as a jumping off point is silly. Dude is just trying to get a rise out of you man, ignore him.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I don't disagree, and wasn't really meaning to bash the game. It's just not my thing. Why Voodoo decided that this would mean backpedaling as far as whether or not EA was using this as a jumping off point is silly. Dude is just trying to get a rise out of you man, ignore him.

Ehehe, Ok then :D

Anyways, I'm accepting donations for my "I have no Xbox and I must Arena" fund. I take cash, paypal and chicken.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Ehehe, Ok then :D

Anyways, I'm accepting donations for my "I have no Xbox and I must Arena" fund. I take cash, paypal and chicken.

You could always try one of those "OMG 10 REFERENCES AND I GET A 360!11!1!!" sites ;)

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm not an US resident :S

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

you could always try one of those "GIVE ME A 360 AND NOBODY GETS SHOT" schemes?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All right people, more impressions. I'm without my 360 and need to live vicariously.

I'm expecting Subsapce lite. Is that what I'm gonna get?

Valernos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

you could always try one of those "GIVE ME A 360 AND NOBODY GETS SHOT" schemes?

Yeah, but then I'm gonna get shot. I'd rather not have a xbox and stay alive...

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Valernos wrote: »
    All right people, more impressions. I'm without my 360 and need to live vicariously.

I'm expecting Subsapce lite. Is that what I'm gonna get?

AFAIK, that's what you'll get, with pretty graphics and cool ships.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a very open mind going in.

'Meh' is about all I can say. Perhaps after I've invested more time into it that will change but initial impressions are less than stellar.

And what is up with the ship colors in the free-for-all stuff? It's like they randomly pick the most butt-fucking ugly ass colors to slap onto your ship.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Finally played for a bit.

Meh is about right. Average mindless shooter. Not terrible by any means, but it would get old quick. Would it have killed them to add SOME depth other than "ooo I unlocked another Arrow, cept beefier!" Or more ships than just the 6x3

It would have at least been pretty neat if you earned points in XBL matches and could buy upgrades so then maybe you'd be forced to make a choice according to your playstyle, etc.

I've never dug the rock paper scissors mentality that they're trying to go for here. Newsflash: if you want to play rock paper scissors. you don't need Microsoft Points to do it.

There is nothing that inherently ties this game to Wing Commander. Nothing that makes you go "wow, I'm in the WC universe" If they really "got" Wing Commander, they would have gotten some voice actor to spout some classic Maniac or Paladin lines or SOMETHING. Defend the Satellite should have been "Defend the Bonnie Heather or Defend the Midway. granted I didn't buy the full game, but there should have been some basic cameos or tie-ins to known characters or events other than just the manual/background story

Basically, what Needle said earlier is right. Someone took "Generic 2D Shooter #42" and slapped some WC skins on it, changed the weapons names and wrote a sweet manual and called it a day.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    MausMaus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    love wing commander

Maus on
    If this was a bomb, you'd be dead
    o I ain't a killer but don't pust me
    fuckin kid
    btfbazooka256.gif