As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GODDAMNED MOTHER FUCKING FOX NEWS

• Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BYToady wrote: »
    To be fair, I agree with a lot of what was said there. The "self-esteem" movement is pretty dumb.

The Geek: remember that scene in The Incredibles?

Mom: everybody's special
    Dash: Which is another way of saying that nobody is

Self-esteem is not a birthright. It's something which has to be earned.

:roll:

So, you're saying that someone who has actually done a lot with their life should be no more or less proud of themselves than a bum sleeping in a gutter?

Only if you're saying that a person's sense of self worth should be directly linked to material possessions.

Generally, if somebody has a lot of material possessions, they have a lot of money which, in turn, generally means that they have done something which is of value to a lot of other people.

I would not say that material possessions are determinative of an individual's worth, but they're at least indicative.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    by what other standard should a person's worth be judged, besides their achievements?

A bum who has squandered whatever potential he may have had has not done anything that warrants pride, by any sane standard.

Other peoples assessment of your own worth is irrelevant, a persons own feeling of self worth is all that matters, obviously arguing on behalf of a fucking bum who has achieved nothing and saying he should be proud is stupid, as stupid as saying that a dictator who butchered his way to the top should be proud, is stupid.

what i'm saying is success and pride don't have to be tied together unless you've got no self esteem

FAQ on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Indicative of their worth to other people. That says nothing about self-worth, which was Mr Rogers preached.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin, you're not allowed to be happy unless you make 150,000 a year and are 2 million in debt. Suffering from ulcers from your terrible diet and have a harpy of a wife nagging at you every day because the Johnsons just bought a new pool, and you didn't get her that diamond necklace she wanted for her birthday.

See, when you have a majestic life like that, THEN you can have a good feeling of self-esteem. Homeless people only get to feel miserable, ever. If you ever see a happy homeless person, kick them. Otherwise they might start to feel good about themselves. And if they feel happy about themselves, why, they might forget to lurk in alleyways. Then we'll have to SEE them, ugh.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, fuck me running. Guess I'll never be happy, then.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FAQ wrote: »
    by what other standard should a person's worth be judged, besides their achievements?

A bum who has squandered whatever potential he may have had has not done anything that warrants pride, by any sane standard.

Other peoples assessment of your own worth is irrelevant, a persons own feeling of self worth is all that matters, obviously arguing on behalf of a fucking bum who has achieved nothing and saying he should be proud is stupid, as stupid as saying that a dictator who butchered his way to the top should be proud, is stupid.

what i'm saying is success and pride don't have to be tied together unless you've got no self esteem

And I'm saying that being proud of yourself when you've done nothing of any value is wrong. It strikes me as claiming the unearned.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »

Oh but Wiggin, theres hope for us yet! If we cry to a psychiatrist we can get pills that'll give us great self-esteem.

Remember, self-esteem is only valid to have as long as someone, or something else is giving it to you.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007

And I'm saying that being proud of yourself when you've done nothing of any value is wrong. It strikes me as claiming the unearned.

And we're all saying that you're wrong.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Good thing in the land of self-esteem your opinion doesn't mean shit.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Nobody's saying you have to be proud of building the Pyramids of Giza, you can just be proud of not spitting in that hooker's mouth.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No we aren't.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »

Oh but Wiggin, theres hope for us yet! If we cry to a psychiatrist we can get pills that'll give us great self-esteem.

Remember, self-esteem is only valid to have as long as someone, or something else is giving it to you.

I'm not going to say anything about meds, because I believe that, in some cases, they are needed.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    NekroNekro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    I like Captain Heavystein.

Rock on Captain Heavystein.

Rock on.

Seconded. That picture was marvelous.

Also, to get back on track, just not fucking cool Fox news. Not cool.

Nekro on
    gantclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Which is exactly the problem.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

define value, is it strictly monetary. Because it seems as long as you're not really fucked up, most people do lots of things of real value

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's fine if you have self esteem and believe you are capable of anything and deserve respect, etc.

But if all you do is smoke pot and play your guitar all day, you have very very low expectations of yourself, and absolutely no motivation to improve yourself, which is what self-esteem is all about.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So assholes? How does an infant or young child get some self-esteem in your wonderful merit based system? Or do they just have to exist in some sort of limbo state until they can start bringing in the A's at school?

"Timmy, that drawing is terrible. I hope you feel bad about the terrible job you did drawing that firetruck."

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So assholes? How does an infant or young child get some self-esteem in your wonderful merit based system? Or do they just have to exist in some sort of limbo state until they can start bringing in the A's at school?

"Timmy, that drawing is terrible. I hope you feel bad about the terrible job you did drawing that firetruck."

"I'm afraid i'm going to have to take away two pride stars off the self worth chart Timmy, I don't think I need to tell you how disappointed you're mother and i are"

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

"I'm afraid i'm going to have to take away two pride stars off the self worth chart Timmy, I don't think I need to tell you how disappointed you're mother and i are"

"But daddy, I'm only 3 stars away from cutting and goth music." :(

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Don't even joke about that shit.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    I like Captain Heavystein.

Rock on Captain Heavystein.

Rock on.

Yes sir!

*commences mad rockery*

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dumb Hero wrote: »

Which is exactly the problem.

I'm glad there's another sane person here.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am absolutely amazed at this.

Instead of asking citizens to take responsibility for their own actions, live within their means, start punishing their children beyond giving them "time-outs", teach their children the Golden Rule, and stop worshipping American Idols and Paris Hiltons (both sponsored/promoted by Fox), they blame the ills of society on Mr. Rogers?

Fuck you Fox, you hypocritical piece of shit. Fox is infinitely more responsible than Mr. Rogers for influencing children negatively.

If anything, what the world needs now more than anything else is another Mr. Rogers. I know what you're thinking Fox, but an XXXTREME, big-tittied, sponsored by Coke Mr. Rogers that sells cell phones while riding on his Simpsons skateboard isn't what I'm asking for.

Motherfuckers. Next thing you know, they'll blame Jim Henson for all the rampant drug abuse.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Don't worry Wiggin, 3 year old Timmy can earn extra stars on his Self-Esteem board by keeping his toys put away, not drawing on the walls, and by learning a new vocabulary word each day.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't worry Wiggin, 3 year old Timmy can earn extra stars on his Self-Esteem board by keeping his toys put away, not drawing on the walls, and by learning a new vocabulary word each day.

Don't forget the sister-flogging. If he forgets to flog his sister, she will never learn her place.

She might even think she gets shoes.

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You know what really helps the self worth of the ladies? Foot binding. Makes them feel beautiful from what I've heard.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You could power a city on the straw men that you're burning.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Can I teach him to say "cocksucker" while pointing at Fox News?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fuck, my lack of debate skills has left me with a horrible sense of self-esteem.

Time for the booze!

Wiggin: Pointing at anything on FOX news and yelling Cocksucker! is 5 bonus stars.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fuck, my lack of debate skills has left me with a horrible sense of self-esteem.

Time for the booze!

Wiggin: Pointing at anything on FOX news and yelling Cocksucker! is 5 bonus stars.

Dude, I do that anyways. I have so much pride going on!

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes I'll go out and murder a bunch of people, then watch FOX news while screaming COCKSUCKER so I can get back all the lost stars.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am getting much enjoyment from Fox News being channel 69 on my cable network.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    toady if you're even remotely serious in your last few posts you just become the dumbest fuck in this thread.

remember, wiggin is posting in here.

I'm not looking for a merit-based system of self-esteem.

I'm looking for kids, which in turn grow into young adults, to have self-worth, motivation, and a desire to be useful members of society.

If a child needs a physical reward early on in their "training" to curb negative behaviors and encourage positive ones, then so be it. The problem is when they aren't weaned off of the material reward based system to be replaced with their own internal "good" feeling they give themselves when being useful or helpful on accomplishing a task or learning something new.

In a recent article in, I believe, Wired Magazine they learned that 'gifted' children who are constantly praised and told they're "smart" oftentimes do worse or become unmotivated because they decide that any task that provides a moderate challenge isn't worth doing or is beneath them.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not completely sure what the argument is, but DH seems spot on in his last post.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In a recent article in, I believe, Wired Magazine they learned that 'gifted' children who are constantly praised and told they're "smart" oftentimes do worse or become unmotivated because they decide that any task that provides a moderate challenge isn't worth doing or is beneath them.

I'd agree with this quite a bit after some firsthand experience.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ANJIN-SAN IS GIFTED

EVERYONE BULLY HIM

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

I'd agree with this quite a bit after some firsthand experience.

Same here. I've been in various gifted programs through school from 4th grade up, and I'll admit to falling into that "eh, it's not worth trying" mentality at times in the past.

It mostly spawns from an internal fear that they won't be considered "smart" or will be a disappointment to the people who give them the constant praise.

It's a really cool article, I'll have to see if I can track it down.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I got the "gifted" label in grade school. It kinda sucked when I went to high school because I became frustrated with concepts I wasn't able to immediately learn or understand. I always had a problem with studying because of it.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DUMB HERO IS GIFTED

EVERYONE BULLY HIM

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Damnit The Geek, you're killin' me here.

SpongeCake on