As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Construction Blues (updated, page 2)

littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Here is my attempt at building a new PC. The problem being, of course, is that I know nothing about building a PC, and half the components I chose are either incompatible with one other, or a huge waste of money. This is where I ask help from G+T - I've done my best to select something that makes sense, as not to waste everyone's time with "Hey guys design me a computer lol". Now I just need some knowledgable folks to tell me what mistakes I've made, what money I've wasted, and what I can do. Budget here is about $1000, which should be more than enough.

APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144151)
69.99 (59.99 Rebate)

Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB ATX V2.2 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, UL, TUV, FCC
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182044)
47.99 (32.99 Rebate)

ABIT AB9 QuadGT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127019)
159.99 (119.99 Rebate)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150173
309.99 (279.99 Rebate)

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

985.93 (890.93 with "Rebates")

newsig.png
littwentythree on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude. AMD processors doesn't work with Intel motherboards. After the 25th better Intel CPUs will sell for around that Windsor. Other than that it looks good. Get a better power supply though... I suggest looking at pricewatch.com and other sites to see if you can save a few $$ for those components.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And this is why I've come to ask for help, haha.

How large of a power supply am I going to need to run these components?

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited July 2007
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&CatId=1078

I bought this Thermaltake PSU for my mom when one in the Dell I bought her recently kicked the bucket.

Malkor on
    edited July 2007
    What parts of the 430W power supply are better than the 500W I selected?

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yea, drop the Athlon, and wait for the E6750. The 8800GTS video card is good, but go with evga instead of xfx.

Get a different power supply. I've have not heard good things about Rosewill's reliability. Go with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake or any other of the better brands. They're all more expensive, but for a good reason - they're good. The major thing you should look out for is +12v rails. You want that to be high. This Corsair is very stable and should have sufficient power for you to do whatever.

About your RAM, unless you're going to overclock, it go with something cheaper. Also, make sure your mobo is compatible. Not all motherboards support 1066 mhz.

setrajonas on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FSP is the only cost-effective power supply manufacturer that I would recommend.

FreddyD on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&CatId=1078

I bought this Thermaltake PSU for my mom when one in the Dell I bought her recently kicked the bucket.

Only 18 amps on the 12v rail? I don't know.

Try something with at least 30 amps on the 12v rail if you want to power a 6000+ X2 with an 8800GTS.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • logothesialogothesia Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Both arstechnica.com and anandtech.com have parts guides for building your own computer for various purposes (gaming, general purpose, god box, etc.). They will also explain how the different parts work together and why certain specs are important (as said above, 12v current capacity) and some are not so important (the total wattage number of a power supply).

Both sites also have forums where people offer build suggestions and by reading those you can get a feel for what's quality and what's junk.

And the other posters are right, next week Intel CPUs will drop quite substantially in price, so I'd at least wait until then for a build.

logothesia on
    RootworkSummerCampaignBadge.png
    edited July 2007
    Is my graphics card alright, or is there any way I could save money there/better card choices?

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited July 2007
    You can pick up the evga version of that card for 259.99 after a 20 rebate. I'd recommend sticking with that card unless you're going for like a 30" monitor or something. If so, then get the 640 mb version.

setrajonas on
    edited July 2007
    EVGA?

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited July 2007
    Is my graphics card alright, or is there any way I could save money there/better card choices?

It depends on what you wanna play. Are you willing to spend the extra money to put stuff out at ultra high-rez?

I like Thermaltake, I haven't had any problems with them so far. But victor_26 is right it might be a bit much for the 8800 and a high-end cpu.

edit: EVGA is a company that makes components.

Malkor on
    edited July 2007
    Yea sorry, I should probably give you a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

setrajonas on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't waste that much money on the ram. Just get 2 gigs of, say, corsair value select, or kingston's value ram. You should be able to get either at ~80 for 2 gigs.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited July 2007
    Ultra-High Res isn't really a requirement with me, I'd just like something that can run games like Half-Life and Doom 3 without insanely long load times, and I'd be nice to play a full game of Civ 4, instead of one with just two or three players.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited July 2007
    You could probably go with the 7800gs if you're not playing anything intense. It's much cheaper and will do what you need it to do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130274

setrajonas on
    edited July 2007
    Also the second generation DX10 cards will probably be a better value.

Malkor on
    edited July 2007
    setrajonas wrote: »
    You can pick up the evga version of that card for 259.99 after a 20 rebate. I'd recommend sticking with that card unless you're going for like a 30" monitor or something. If so, then get the 640 mb version.
    These benchmarks did not show a significant difference between the 320MB and the 640Mb version even at 1920*1200 w/4xAA 16xAF. This video memory analysis demonstrates that you would have to be gaming at 2048x1536/4xAA16xAF before you ran out of video memory.

Has anyone heard about PCIe 2.0 yet? I heard that it supports external video cards. The line between PC and console gaming may be getting even thinner in the future.

FreddyD on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A better, more expensive power supply is bullshit. I'm running a Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz), 2GB PC6400, GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB and three internal hard drives, all powered by a NorthQ Godzilla 500w PSU. And that 500w is way more than I need.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited July 2007
    Just something I've been thinking about...

You can now find the 8600GT for 100 dollars on newegg. I've been wondering if it might be worth it to run an SLI config with two of these? Sure, for 50-80 dollars you could get the 320mb 8800, but is the performance that much greater than two 8600GT's? I've seen conflicting reviews

Raslin on

edited July 2007
    Monitor-wise I'll be getting something like a 22". My friend owns a 30", that thing is pain on my eyes after a while.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    These benchmarks did not show a significant difference between the 320MB and the 640Mb version even at 1920*1200 w/4xAA 16xAF. This video memory analysis demonstrates that you would have to be gaming at 2048x1536/4xAA16xAF before you ran out of video memory.

Has anyone heard about PCIe 2.0 yet? I heard that it supports external video cards. The line between PC and console gaming may be getting even thinner in the future.
    Well, it's just semantics really. I figured that 30" is essentially a 2560x1600 resolution monitor. Yea, you're right though.:P

setrajonas on
    edited July 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Just something I've been thinking about...

You can now find the 8600GT for 100 dollars on newegg. I've been wondering if it might be worth it to run an SLI config with two of these? Sure, for 50-80 dollars you could get the 320mb 8800, but is the performance that much greater than two 8600GT's? I've seen conflicting reviews
    The 8800GTS will outperform two 8600GTS cards in every situation by around 10%, so that doesn't bode well for dual 8600GTs. Plus, the heat, noise, driver issues, and case clutter will make you wish you just paid the extra $50.

FreddyD on
    edited July 2007
    As per suggestions:

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590
    113.00 (83.00 Rebate)

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082
    279.00 (259.00 Rebate)

Still having trouble picking a power supply, I don't understand how many Rails or Amperes or Watts or whatever I'm going to need to run my graphics card efficiently.

Also, on the Intel processors - what would the noticeable advantages of the E6850 be over the E6750? Anything for what I'm doing? And when are these officially "out"?

Edit: July 22nd, looks like. Nevermind that.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
    edited July 2007
    Thanks, but why that one? I'm interested in knowing why I'm doing what I'm doing, that way I don't have to come back here in a few years and mooch off you guys for information because I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

Yea, I think it's just an issue of semantics. When I said a 30" monitor, I was figuring a resolution of 2560x1600 :P So we're basically saying the same thing.

setrajonas on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, you need a core 2 duo for that intel mobo. Also, I would suggest the following case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024
    Comes with a power supply and antec is quality.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Yeah, you need a core 2 duo for that intel mobo. Also, I would suggest the following case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024
    Comes with a power supply and antec is quality.
    Heh, the power supply has to be better than the one that came with the Sonata II. I've read numerous reviews of that power supply involving it failing in a month.

setrajonas on
    edited July 2007
    It is. I think the Sonata II came with the NeoHE, which had some problems that were fixed in later revisions.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    Everything has arrived, and everything seems to be working alright. The fans all work, the lights all work, and I'm really rather impressed with myself. Now for the stupid question: The hard drive I have needs to connect to an IDE slot. So does my DVD drive. How am I to do this, if there is only one IDE slot on the Motherboard? I must be missing something. Or I have to pick up a SATA drive tomorrow.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited August 2007
    I think you can find an adapter.

Malkor on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wth malkor?

OP, IDE cables have 3 ends on them, one for the mobo and 2 more for 2 devices.

Deusfaux on
    edited August 2007
    Hey! Some IDE cables have 3 ends. But I did forget that most of them do.

Malkor on
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, you should have an IDE cable that has one end that goes into the motherboard, a connector in the middle, and one at the other end. The hard drive should be on the one at the end (and the DVD drive in the middle,) and set the hard drive jumper to master.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I thought the "slave" was only for a secondary hard drive. Thanks for the help!

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, OP, I apologize for bumping this thread again, I actually have a dumb question that needs to be answered.

Well, it's really something pretty embarrasing.

I just purchased new RAM (x2 1 Gig Sticks) for my desktop, and for some reason, it won't properly secure on my mobo. I've installed RAM countless times, yet for some reason, the RAM won't properly secure. One side at a time will click, yet it'll be angled. I'm applying direct pressure throughout the RAM, yet nothing seems to do the trick.

It really makes me feel like an idiot, too. It's the proper size for my mobo, but I think the problem is caused by the outer shell of the RAM itself. There's no way to remove the outer shell, either, or else I would've already done it.

Any help? Advice? I'm not too sure of what to do, and I'd hate to just stick with the 1 GB of RAM I have at the moment, when I'm staring at 2 GB on my desk.

Kami on
    edited August 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Okay, OP, I apologize for bumping this thread again, I actually have a dumb question that needs to be answered.

I just purchased new RAM (x2 1 Gig Sticks) for my desktop, and for some reason, it won't properly secure on my mobo. I've installed RAM countless times, yet for some reason, the RAM won't properly secure. One side at a time will click, yet it'll be angled. I'm applying direct pressure throughout the RAM, yet nothing seems to do the trick.

It really makes me feel like an idiot, too. It's the proper size for my mobo, but I think the problem is caused by the outer shell of the RAM itself. There's no way to remove the outer shell, either, or else I would've already done it.

Any help? Advice? I'm not too sure of what to do, and I'd hate to just stick with the 1 GB of RAM I have at the moment, when I'm staring at 2 GB on my desk.

Thats... strange. I remember putting the ram in my system, I thought I was going to break it. But I applied a bunch of pressure(damn things put indents in my fingers), and they finally went in.

But I assume you're putting enough, and it still wont go in... so, thats weird. Dunno what to say.

Raslin on

• KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »

Thats... strange. I remember putting the ram in my system, I thought I was going to break it. But I applied a bunch of pressure(damn things put indents in my fingers), and they finally went in.

But I assume you're putting enough, and it still wont go in... so, thats weird. Dunno what to say.

I'd like to think I am, at least. My current RAM went in fine, no problems, clicked down without a hitch.

With the 2 GB though, I was applying enough pressure that I was actually flexing the mobo down, and that made me nervous. :lol:

Kami on