Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dual Monitor Resolution

khainkhain Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm thinking about getting a second monitor and I can't seem to find any info about running the monitors at different resolutions. My main monitor is a 24" and runs at 1920x1200 and I was thinking of buying either a 17" or a 19" neither of which would run at that resolution. Is that fine and each monitor just runs at whatever resolution you want? Also are there any applications or anything, I'm a bit clueless here if anyone can point anything else out.

khain on

• embrikembrik Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Should be fine, as long as your video card is decent enough to handle it. I run a 24" @ 1920x1200 and a 17" @ 1280x1024. They're both hooked up via DVI cables to my nVidia 7900GT, and I have no problems at all.

Edit: Your video card drivers should be able to handle the stuff with dual displays. I also use a program called UltraMon, which allows for extending the taskbar, easy setup of different wallpapers and screensavers per monitor, etc.

"Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Assuming you're running Windows, there's built-in support for multiple displays. After you plug in your second monitor (and install whatever necessary drivers), you just have to go into Display settings (one way is to right-click on your desktop and selection Properties) and go to the Setting tab, select the new monitor in the drop-down menu, and check the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." The resolution of one has no bearing on the resolution of the other.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kevbotkevbot Registered User
    edited July 2007
    You should be fine... I believe that older nVidia cards couldn't handle multiple monitors at different resolutions / refresh rates / colour depths, while almost any dual-head ATI card can. I run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 (60Hz) along with a 20" widescreen at 1680x1050 (75Hz) without any problems on an X800XL.

Also, as mentioned, Ultramon is awesome.

Your music is bad, and you should feel bad!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    UltraMon is a very slick program for handling multiple monitors. My 1680x1050 screen is sitting next to my 1280x1024 screen right as we speak. Works fine.