As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bush Administration to Congress: Screw your "contempt" charges

LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Bush administration officials unveiled a bold new assertion of executive authority yesterday in the dispute over the firing of nine U.S. attorneys, saying that the Justice Department will never be allowed to pursue contempt charges initiated by Congress against White House officials once the president has invoked executive privilege.

The position presents serious legal and political obstacles for congressional Democrats, who have begun laying the groundwork for contempt proceedings against current and former White House officials in order to pry loose information about the dismissals.

Under federal law, a statutory contempt citation by the House or Senate must be submitted to the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, "whose duty it shall be to bring the matter before the grand jury for its action."

But administration officials argued yesterday that Congress has no power to force a U.S. attorney to pursue contempt charges in cases, such as the prosecutor firings, in which the president has declared that testimony or documents are protected from release by executive privilege. Officials pointed to a Justice Department legal opinion during the Reagan administration, which made the same argument in a case that was never resolved by the courts.

"A U.S. attorney would not be permitted to bring contempt charges or convene a grand jury in an executive privilege case," said a senior official, who said his remarks reflect a consensus within the administration. "And a U.S. attorney wouldn't be permitted to argue against the reasoned legal opinion that the Justice Department provided. No one should expect that to happen."

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the issue publicly, added: "It has long been understood that, in circumstances like these, the constitutional prerogatives of the president would make it a futile and purely political act for Congress to refer contempt citations to U.S. attorneys."

Mark J. Rozell, a professor of public policy at George Mason University who has written a book on executive-privilege issues, called the administration's stance "astonishing."

"That's a breathtakingly broad view of the president's role in this system of separation of powers," Rozell said. "What this statement is saying is the president's claim of executive privilege trumps all."

The administration's statement is a dramatic attempt to seize the upper hand in an escalating constitutional battle with Congress, which has been trying for months, without success, to compel White House officials to testify and to turn over documents about their roles in the prosecutor firings last year.

The Justice Department and White House in recent weeks have been discussing when and how to disclose the stance, and the official said he decided yesterday that it was time to highlight it.

Yesterday, a House Judiciary subcommittee voted to lay the groundwork for contempt proceedings against White House chief of staff Joshua B. Bolten, following a similar decision last week against former White House counsel Harriet E. Miers.

The administration has not directly informed Congress of its view. A spokeswoman for Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.), the Judiciary Committee's chairman, declined to comment . But other leading Democrats attacked the argument.

Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) called it "an outrageous abuse of executive privilege" and said: "The White House must stop stonewalling and start being accountable to Congress and the American people. No one, including the president, is above the law."

Sen. Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) said the administration is "hastening a constitutional crisis," and Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.) said the position "makes a mockery of the ideal that no one is above the law."

Waxman added: "I suppose the next step would be just disbanding the Justice Department."

Under long-established procedures and laws, the House and Senate can each pursue two kinds of criminal contempt proceedings, and the Senate also has a civil contempt option. The first, called statutory contempt, has been the avenue most frequently pursued in modern times, and is the one that requires a referral to the U.S. attorney in the District.

Both chambers also have an "inherent contempt" power, allowing either body to hold its own trials and even jail those found in defiance of Congress. Although widely used during the 19th century, the power has not been invoked since 1934 and Democratic lawmakers have not displayed an appetite for reviving the practice.

In defending its argument, administration officials point to a 1984 opinion by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel, headed at the time by Theodore B. Olson, a prominent conservative lawyer who was solicitor general from 2001 to 2004. The opinion centered on a contempt citation issued by the House for Anne Gorsuch Burford, then administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.

It concluded: "The President, through a United States Attorney, need not, indeed may not, prosecute criminally a subordinate for asserting on his behalf a claim of executive privilege. Nor could the Legislative Branch or the courts require or implement the prosecution of such an individual."

In the Burford case, which involved spending on the Superfund program, the White House filed a federal lawsuit to block Congress's contempt action. The conflict subsided when Burford turned over documents to Congress.

The Bush administration has not previously signaled it would forbid a U.S. attorney from pursuing a contempt case in relation to the prosecutor firings. But officials at Justice and elsewhere say it has long held that Congress cannot force such action.

David B. Rifkin, who worked in the Justice Department and White House counsel's office under presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, praised the position and said it is consistent with the idea of a "unitary executive." In practical terms, he said, "U.S. attorneys are emanations of a president's will." And in constitutional terms, he said, "the president has decided, by virtue of invoking executive privilege, that is the correct policy for the entire executive branch."

But Stanley Brand, who was the Democratic House counsel during the Burford case, said the administration's legal view "turns the constitutional enforcement process on its head. They are saying they will always place a claim of presidential privilege without any judicial determination above a congressional demand for evidence -- without any basis in law." Brand said the position is essentially telling Congress: "Because we control the enforcement process, we are going to thumb our nose at you."

Rozell, the George Mason professor and authority on executive privilege, said the administration's stance "is almost Nixonian in its scope and breadth of interpreting its power. Congress has no recourse at all, in the president's view. . . . It's allowing the executive to define the scope and limits of its own powers."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/19/AR2007071902625.html?hpid=topnews

So, at this point, is it really possible to try and hold the administration accountable for any wrongdoings they commit, or do they just get to hide behind "executive privilege" until the end of time? Should they be allowed to do this and is there any possible way to make the administration submit to investigations?

I also wonder what this possibly has done to the systems of checks in the government, when it, in my novice opinion, seems like a further amassing of powers unto the executive.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
Lanz on

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Christ. I think when I graduate from college in December I may be moving to Canada.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The whole "attorney scandal" is a bunch of bullshit. The President can fire any federal employee at any time for any reason, period full stop end of line. It probably was corrupt as fuck, but there's absolutely no legal standing for Congress to give him shit, so it's basically just a dog and pony show to take everyone's attention off the fact that Congress has done fuck-all actual work in the past six months.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The whole "attorney scandal" is a bunch of bullshit. The President can fire any federal employee at any time for any reason, period full stop end of line. It probably was corrupt as fuck, but there's absolutely no legal standing for Congress to give him shit, so it's basically just a dog and pony show to take everyone's attention off the fact that Congress has done fuck-all actual work in the past six months.

just because you can do something for any reason doesnt mean that we dont care about what the actual reason was.

sure, i can fire my at will employees for any number of reasons, but i did fire my employees because they were lazy. this is a big difference from me firing them because i didnt want the public to know that i made a few of them give me bjs under the white house desk.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "U.S. attorneys are emanations of a president's will."

Creepy. As. Fuck.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »

just because you can do something for any reason doesnt mean that we dont care about what the actual reason was.

sure, i can fire my at will employees for any number of reasons, but i did fire my employees because they were lazy. this is a big difference from me firing them because i didnt want the public to know that i made a few of them give me bjs under the white house desk.
    I was under the impression that subpoenas were generally not liberally sprinkled about so as to smear someone for political reasons, but rather to investigate actual crimes. There is no actual crime, ergo Democrat wankery.

This is basically all Bush has been saying. "There is no case here, therefore you cannot compel us to tell you things which you will then use to handcuff our hands to the bed with our pants down and ankles spread." This is an eminently rational and reasonable position to take based on the law, and the law, ideally, is all that Congress is supposed to be interested in.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    "U.S. attorneys are emanations of a president's will."

Creepy. As. Fuck.
    Also true, from a legal standpoint. What, you didn't already know that? Judicial policy (in the context we're speaking of) is very clearly the domain of the Executive.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I was under the impression that subpoenas were generally not liberally sprinkled about so as to smear someone for political reasons, but rather to investigate actual crimes. There is no actual crime, ergo Democrat wankery.

This is basically all Bush has been saying. "There is no case here, therefore you cannot compel us to tell you things which you will then use to handcuff our hands to the bed with our pants down and ankles spread." This is an eminently rational and reasonable position to take based on the law, and the law, ideally, is all that Congress is supposed to be interested in.
    So, no opinion on the horrible precedents this is creating on both sides of the problem?

Just that it's democratic wankery?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007

I don't even care about the attorney firings. The claim that executive privilege cannot be challenged full stop because it has to proceed through the Justice Department, an executive cabinet, is simply breathtaking.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    WHY wrote: »

So, no opinion on the horrible precedents this is creating on both sides of the problem?

Just that it's democratic wankery?
    My opinion is that the whole thing is bullshit invented in no small part to stroke Conyer's ego and that both sides should shut the fuck up and get some kind of meaningful legislation published before the November elections.

Assuming anyone actually follows the law, this will amount to fuck-all. It is an endless thumping of chests, signifying nothing.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

I don't even care about the attorney firings. The claim that executive privilege cannot be challenged full stop because it has to proceed through the Justice Department, an executive cabinet, is simply breathtaking.
    Falls under the heading of "shitty but legit." If you don't like it, change the law (which I'd support.)

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

indeed, I heavily doubt the president has (or if he has the ability, then should) have the power to do this. It allows too much for the executive to go unchecked.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Clinton fired waaaay more attorneys. Nobody gave a shit back then.

This is mostly just the end to this bullshit that the Congress is persuing. I'd wish they'd get some actual balls instead of passing non-binding resolutions and going after things not under their jurisdiction.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thing, Lanz, that you need to understand, is that the GOP had actually planned on utterly destroying any opposition party. That's why you saw things like TRMPAC and the K Street Project. Also, the issue was that these Attorneys were fired for two reasons:
    • They refused to use their positions in a political manner, and
    • They needed the slots to reward loyal cronies.
    Thats where the question of legality comes in.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Clinton fired waaaay more attorneys. Nobody gave a shit back then.
    There's a HUGE difference between housecleaning (what Clinton did) and the targeted firing of attorneys who refused to use their positions in a political manner.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I seem to remember a big point in all of this was, the reasons they gave for firing the attourneys professionally blackballed them inf some fashion, didn't it? in a "Wait, why on earth would we hire you, you were fired from the government for [x reason]"?

if I'm mistaken, someone please correct this.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    That is correct. They were fired, versus being asked to hand in their resignations. The latter is normal Washington practice; the former will potentially damage their careers and worse, have a chilling effect on the civil service at large. I'm going to go ahead and name that "sleazy" and "wrong," even as Salvation boldly treks forth into new vistas of equivocation.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish this countries people were more like the French willing to protest something at a moments notice.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    We had an election; you'd think that would have been protest enough.

Although judging from the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth in certain quarters, apparently there are people for whom that's not enough to suggest that anyone should actually be held to account, oh no.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    We had an election; you'd think that would have been protest enough.

Although judging from the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth in certain quarters, apparently there are people for whom that's not enough to suggest that anyone should actually be held to account, oh no.

The problem is that right now, the GOP is in solidarity mode - don't break ranks and all that. September should be interesting, when some of the "safe" reps start seeing that they could be looking for a job after next year.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's the statute of limitations on this stuff? Simply arrest them all when Bush steps down, if they can't be arrested now. I absolutely hate this administrations purposeful ignorance of precedence and law.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Actually, there are some laws the attorney thing violated. I don't recall the exact names as I am just some dude on the internet and therefore reluctant for some reason to employ Google to even give myself the most basic factual credibility, but firing someone to prevent or impede a lawful investigation is illegal, as is firing someone for solely political reasons. In addition, the Hatch Act, the Presidential Records Act, the Freedom of Information Act and one other minor law have been violated by the Bush administration in the past several months, some of those violations being in connection to the attorney scandal- and if they broke those laws deliberately to cover up another crime, that makes it conspiracy. You can violate the Hatch Act on a small scale by accident and no one cares, but doing it on purpose is serious.

If you look at the administration's track record with "people who publicly disagree", you see a lot of spiteful but counterproductive actions. Outing Valerie Plame to get back at her husband makes no real sense outside of that context, as is firing these guys as opposed to just asking for their resignation.

Bush behaves as if he'd like to be a dictator. He can't throw people in the scorpion pit or have them executed, so he's reduced to the more petty political sniping that most administrations save until they're just about to leave office.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meh whatever. They're all a bunch of corrupt fuck heads with no shame. Atleast Nixon had shame.

They're just in it to cover their asses at this point plain and simple. They use executive priviledge whenever they want and when that doesn't fly "Oh I'm not a member of the executive as vice-president!" bullshit. They can cram it up their ass. I'm sick of hearing about it and wish them to die a very horrible and prolonged death.

That's about my stance on the subject.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Derrick wrote: »
    Meh whatever. They're all a bunch of corrupt fuck heads with no shame. Atleast Nixon had shame.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-watergate8jul08,0,133654,full.story?coll=la-home-center
    The Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace in Yorba Linda has long been the most kicked-around of presidential libraries, and nothing invited more ridicule than the dim, narrow room purporting to describe the scandal that drove its namesake from office.
    Venturing into that room, visitors learned that Watergate, which provoked a constitutional crisis and became an enduring byword for abuses of executive power, was really a "coup" engineered by Nixon enemies. The exhibit accused Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein — without evidence — of "offering bribes" to further their famous coverage.
    Most conspicuous was a heavily edited, innocent-seeming version of the "smoking gun" tape of June 23, 1972, the resignation-clinching piece of evidence in which Nixon and his top aide are heard conspiring to thwart the FBI probe of Watergate.
    This was history as Nixon wanted it remembered, a monument to his decades-long campaign to refurbish his name. Nixon himself approved the exhibit before the library's 1990 opening.

I have nothing to say about this that hasn't been said already though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    It really illustrates some central flaws to our system of checks and balances. I suppose that we've not really had an executive branch in recent memory who really sought to expand executive power so aggressively. I mean, Nixon thrashed about at it when he was on the run and under investigation, but the Bush guys have methodically and purposefully undermined checks and balances during the entire administration, immediate need or no.

Honestly this is always the test of a robust governmental system. Many governments - and not just shitty third world ones - have crumbled into dictatorship, juntas, and fascism because of aggressive executives working to undermine checks and balances, and it bears absolute consideration.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also the thing that started this scandel wasn't that he jsut fired the attorneys it was they cited poor work performance as the reason fro it. That's pretty much agaisnt basic manners for such dismissals even though it was completely unneccessary. It effectively was a way no only getting rid of more liberal attorneys a giant black eye on thier resume to hurt thier careers.

There's no other reasoning for it. Even when they have zilch to gain from it the Bush adminstration goes out of thier way to be bastards.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    At this point, I've resigned myself to the conclusion that the Bush Administration can get away with whatever the hell type of shady "not technically illegal" shit they want, thumbing their noses at everyone and the Dems in Congress will be impotent in their efforts of holding anyone accountable.

Let's just get to January 09, please.

Tach on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude, it's not like this investigation is somehow getting in the way of the Republicans' obstructionism. Stop pretending like Congress can only do one thing at a time.

And I'm sure you were shouting the same stuff when Kenneth Starr was investigating the Lewinski thing, right? :roll:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wouldnt bet any money on it Thanatos.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also the thing that started this scandel wasn't that he jsut fired the attorneys it was they cited poor work performance as the reason fro it. That's pretty much agaisnt basic manners for such dismissals even though it was completely unneccessary. It effectively was a way no only getting rid of more liberal attorneys a giant black eye on thier resume to hurt thier careers.

There's no other reasoning for it. Even when they have zilch to gain from it the Bush adminstration goes out of thier way to be bastards.

The thing was that they weren't even leftovers from the prior administration - they were Bush appointees. But they were also professionals, and would not use their position for gain.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Dude, it's not like this investigation is somehow getting in the way of the Republicans' obstructionism. Stop pretending like Congress can only do one thing at a time.

And I'm sure you were shouting the same stuff when Kenneth Starr was investigating the Lewinski thing, right? :roll:

But...But...When we do it, its okay!

EDIT: Also, this is pretty awesome.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070720/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_terrorism

Basically Bush is saying go ahead and torture people again.

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS HURR HURR HURR.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dubya is like a loophole detector set on maximum.

I wonder if people are taking notes to close them, or to exploit them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    joshuazjoshuaz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I desperately want to believe that, in the end, cooler heads will prevail and President Bush will back down.

I want to believe that he will (just barely) comply with Congress' subpoenas. The investigation will move imperceptibly forward, the election will move closer, and we get to keep the checks and balances that the founders (for the most part) envisioned... where the President gets to claim executive privilege without too much hassle and Congress gets to play the oversight role. The country moves on.

However, this whole scandal has the potential to significantly change the nature of our government for generations. There's two possible extremes. (1) The Legislative branch will assert itself and irrevocably weaken the Executive (through the inherent contempt procedure, most likely). The most damaging aspect, I think, of this outcome is that the Congress will have shot down the President's executive privilege claim without the aid of the courts. Or, (2) the Executive branch will come out of the ordeal strengthened with the ability to operate above Congress' oversight. President Bush has gotten away with a lot of things (domestic spying, torture?) but this scandal has the potential to lock in Executive powers in a legal precedent... if, for instance, Congress takes it to court, and the courts rule that the President indeed has the power to extend executive privilege to all his subordinates.

We live in interesting times.

joshuaz on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    EDIT: Also, this is pretty awesome.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070720/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_terrorism

Basically Bush is saying go ahead and torture people again.

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS HURR HURR HURR.

I like the headline of the BBC's article on that – "Bush bans terror suspect torture", compared with the opening lines of that one – "President Bush breathed new life into the CIA's terror interrogation program [...]".

Linden on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys saw this right?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html

Oh, and this (following link may be bullshit, but scary if real)

http://www.tbrnews.org/Archives/a2720.htm#004

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Well, he seems intent on fucking over the Republicans for the next decade or so. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some more prosecution of parts of the administration once it is gone, since he won't be able to pull the self-pardon trick like Nixon did. That will largely depend on how happy the new guys are with all the executive power he has been claiming lately and how expedient they find retribution to be.

Savant on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sadly, my guess is that the next democratic president will abuse the SHIT out of those loopholes, guaranteeing a swift return of shitty republican power.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Honestly he really doesn't. He doesn't find loopholes in the law he simply ignores the law altogether. It's like arguing with the stupid kid on the playground who sticks his fingers in his ears everytime you say something and goes "NANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOOOUUUUU!" Everyone knew that kid and NOBODY bothered argueing with him.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Wrong. It is a federal felony to interfer in the workings of an investigation or prosecution.

Such, firing for political reasons is a fucking federal felony

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

I was twelve, so, like, not really? But in retrospect, yes, the Kenneth Starr thing was every bit as retarded as this.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

Wrong. It is a federal felony to interfer in the workings of an investigation or prosecution.

Such, firing for political reasons is a fucking federal felony

Not questioning what you said, but in what way did they interfere in either of those with these? that is, I'm trying to understand better what was going on in the background with this whole shameful mess

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1