As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Trade In

Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I picked up a new computer, a laptop. My problem is a was fooled by the tech-jerk. I was lead to believe this poor thing could run Oblivion, Supreme Commander, AOE3, etc. It has 945GM Intel Chipset. I've learned, after the fact, that it is utter garbage. Now I "know" I need a computer with a better card.

Unfortunately, I've also learned all sales are final, unless I trade up. Which seems like my only option. Now I "know" I need an ATI or nVidia to play said games.

So, I suppose, I am asking for a little video card advice. I'd really appreciate it, you know, so I don't get screwed a second time. Live and learn, eh?

Cucco Leader on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did you ask the guy if it would play those games, and he told you it would?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I do know he said it would play Oblivion, I forget everything he said.

Cucco Leader on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If he said it would play Oblivion and it won't, you should go back and ask to speak to the manager, and explain the situation. I realize they have a "no refund" policy, but really, that's illegal; it's "fraud" or "misrepresentation." Technically, you can sue them for it in small claims court, but don't go up there and threaten that. Talk to them reasonably, rationally, and, above all, politely. Explain that you were unhappy to discover that the laptop would not, in fact, play Oblivion, and that you were told it would. Tell them that this was one of the big selling points of the laptop for you, and that if it won't do that, you're not interested. Ask them to either give you your money back, or give you a substantial discount on a trade-in.

If they won't do either, I'd start doing things like filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and talking to the cops to see what your options are. That's a seriously bullshit thing to do, and they shouldn't be rewarded for it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it a chain retailer?

If the answer is yes, then I am 99% sure they can return the laptop if you really want to do that.

Did they actually show you on a reciept or PAPER that there is no returns? Most likely no. Here's the deal, the store is there to make money, returning laptops because a person they pay $6 an hour isn't a computer guru wouldn't be cost effective.

You got a few options, depending on where your at on the return policy (usually 30 days but check your reciept):

1. Get a different computer with them- expect to shell out some dough. Oblivion is a great looking game so your looking at a laptop that has a good amount of ram, a good processor, and graphics by nvidia or ati (there will be a sticker on the keyboard for the graphics card). Walk in, talk to a manager, be courteous, and most importantly TELL HIM WHAT YOU WANT. Seriously, managers don't listen to a word you say except for the part where you tell them what you want. Be brief, explain the situation, and tell him " I just want to get a laptop that can handle this game (+ whatever else it needs to do). You may even get them to install the game for free if they have a tech shop to show you that it does indeed work on a new machine. On that note, leave the laptop with them and give them the afternoon to do it, that way your not being an extreme pain to their tech dept. (obvious where i work yet?)

2. If you do not want to shop with them anymore, try talking to a manager, once again be courteous but direct. Point out that your within the return policy "30 days" "It doesn't do what it is supposed to do." Store managers are generally easier to get things from then a sales or dept manager. If they still say no, give their corporate number a call and complain about the situation. This results in the GM's boss calling him, and if your complaint is legit, forcing him to do what you want.

Honestly, unless their prices are high or something, swap it out for a new one, and get Oblivion installed at the store, the fee shouldn't be more than $20 -$30, they may even comp it for you.

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Eat_Fire wrote: »
    Is it a chain retailer?

If the answer is yes, then I am 99% sure they can return the laptop if you really want to do that.

Did they actually show you on a reciept or PAPER that there is no returns? Most likely no. Here's the deal, the store is there to make money, returning laptops because a person they pay $6 an hour isn't a computer guru wouldn't be cost effective.

You got a few options, depending on where your at on the return policy (usually 30 days but check your reciept):

1. Get a different computer with them- expect to shell out some dough. Oblivion is a great looking game so your looking at a laptop that has a good amount of ram, a good processor, and graphics by nvidia or ati (there will be a sticker on the keyboard for the graphics card). Walk in, talk to a manager, be courteous, and most importantly TELL HIM WHAT YOU WANT. Seriously, managers don't listen to a word you say except for the part where you tell them what you want. Be brief, explain the situation, and tell him " I just want to get a laptop that can handle this game (+ whatever else it needs to do). You may even get them to install the game for free if they have a tech shop to show you that it does indeed work on a new machine. On that note, leave the laptop with them and give them the afternoon to do it, that way your not being an extreme pain to their tech dept. (obvious where i work yet?)

2. If you do not want to shop with them anymore, try talking to a manager, once again be courteous but direct. Point out that your within the return policy "30 days" "It doesn't do what it is supposed to do." Store managers are generally easier to get things from then a sales or dept manager. If they still say no, give their corporate number a call and complain about the situation. This results in the GM's boss calling him, and if your complaint is legit, forcing him to do what you want.

Honestly, unless their prices are high or something, swap it out for a new one, and get Oblivion installed at the store, the fee shouldn't be more than $20 -$30, they may even comp it for you.
    This is a scam. Unless they're going to give you a substantial discount, do not do business with them again. It's rewarding unethical and illegal behavior.

Here's the deal: they get you to come in, you give them a price range, and tell them "I need a computer to do X." They tell you "oh, this computer, which is well within your price range, will totally do X." You get the computer, find out it doesn't do X. You try to take it back, they tell you, "oh, no, we don't give cash back on returns. However, you can trade up to this computer that does X, that is 1.5-10 times your price range." You feel fucked because they're fucking you.

Thanatos on