As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killer System Apps

SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
What are some really good games (e.g "Must-Have Games"), for the PS3 and Wii. I find my library underwhelmingly stocked for both of my systems.

Wii:
Legend of Zelda
Dragonball Z
Trauma Center (My sister wanted it :))

PS2/3:
Okami
Need for Speed
Call of Duty

I think I could use a few games, no?

If you can chill, chill.
Steam ID
Saaruto on

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did you have a PS2 before hand? Cause theres about a billion great ones for the PS3 if you're listing titles such as Okami.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the PS2 the Ratchet&Clank series (play in order, ignore Deadlock/Gladiator) and the Sly Cooper series (likewise play in order) are awesome. Platform shooters and platform sneakers, respectively.

Many also swear on the Jak&Daxter series; if you don't mind collecting zillions of objects they're good fun.

ICO and Shadow of The Colossus for some alternative fun?

Glal on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would also recommend both the Katamari's and for some good actions games I'd suggest Devil May Cry 1&3 God of War 1&2 and God Hand if those games are your style.

That said I really wanna buy Super Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4 Wii, and in 9 days Super Mario Strikers Charged.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Metal Gear Series
    Ace Combat Series
    Onimusha 1, 2, 3
    Genji 1. I can't vouch for 2
    Shadow Hearts Series
    Final Fantasy is always solid
    You should at least try Shadow of the Colossus and ICO

Devil May Cry 3 and God of War 1 and 2, yes

Renzo on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, R+C: Deadlocked is worth a rent.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Expo'86Expo'86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    if i were you i would go to IGN and check out their list of editors choice games. You can check out the reader reviews that way and see some vids or whatever.

editors choice

Expo'86 on
    "We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've rented and beat GOW 1 and 2, and I've played Shadow of the Colossus extensively, because which I borrowed it from a friend for like...2 months. So from what I'm hearing, try some of the platforming series, as well and Metal Gear/Devil May Cry. For the record, I didn't own a Playstation 2 prior to this. What about Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Any Playstation 3 games? I'm patiently waiting for Lair on August 14th, but I these games seems pretty good to tide me over :).

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've only played Ninja Gaiden Black, but it is a superb action game. The bosses can be really frustrating though.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Final Fantasy X

Probably the strongest final fantasy that still uses menu based combat.....
    which leads to

Final Fantasy XII

Probably the strongest final fantasy period.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Wii:
    Legend of Zelda
    Dragonball Z
    Trauma Center (My sister wanted it :))
    List is desperately missing Super Paper Mario and WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

bruin on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Final Fantasy X

which leads to

Final Fantasy XII

Would be if FFVI already didn't own both those titles.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Final Fantasy X

which leads to

Final Fantasy XII

Would be if FFVI already didn't own both those titles.

VI is good But the GBA version is easier to get your hands on and significantly cheaper, and while I REALLY dig it, the newer ones just seem to be better games when you take out the nostalgia factor.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For PS2.

God Hand

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My favorite PS3 games right now are Ninja Gaiden Black and The Darkness, and Rainbow Six Vegas is quite solid as well. Ninja Gaiden is a great action game, and a beautiful remake of the original.

As far as the Wii goes, I really enjoy RE4 and SSX Blur. The Godfather is also fun on the Wii if you haven't played it yet on another system, and Harry Potter is surprisingly awesome if you like that series.

Also, Oblivion is a must buy for PS3 if you haven't played it yet.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Valkyrie Profile 2 and Odin Sphere are gorgeous as RPGs go(PS2). Magna Carta also has some nice environments, but the gameplay and story are meh at best.

Wii, I'd put my money on RE4. GC visuals were already beautiful, and the Wii's must be even better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Valkyrie Profile 2 and Odin Sphere are gorgeous as RPGs go(PS2). Magna Carta also has some nice environments, but the gameplay and story are meh at best.

Wii, I'd put my money on RE4. GC visuals were already beautiful, and the Wii's must be even better.

I agree 100 Percent about VP 2 and Odin Sphere, though I think Odin Sphere is just as much a brawler as it is an RPG. RE4 does look a little bit better on the Wii than on the Gamecube, but the real reason to play it is the silky smooth control.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Final Fantasy XII

Just because JRPG plots suck, that doesn't mean that a JRPG with no plot is good.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII

Just because JRPG plots suck, that doesn't mean that a JRPG with no plot is good.

No plot? XII had a plot that actually made sense and consisted of more then "you there, androgynous thing, off you go...go save the world now"

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There are a ton of game recommendations in the accumulated forum knowledge forum. Here is the PS2 thread and anyone here could start a Wii or PS3 recommendation thread. In fact, I am strongly considering adding an XBox thread right now.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Only a couple must have PS3 titles that are PS3 only but I'd say Resistance and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

More comming later this fall though like Stranglehold (w/ movie), Uncharted, etc.. Then Killzone2 in the spring.

powersurge on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Hey, R+C: Deadlocked is worth a rent.
    I stopped playing it after a few hours, and I 100%ed the arenas in the previous games. It just felt... soulless.

Glal on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII

No plot? XII had a plot that actually made sense and consisted of more then "you there, androgynous thing, off you go...go save the world now"

That's already stronger than FFXII's plot.

Renzo on