As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A reliable cell phone?

BallmanBallman Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
About a week ago, the battery in my phone started dying from a full charge twice a day on average. I called cingular (The NEW AT&T! :|), and even though my phone is only ~3 weeks out of warranty, they refuse to help me out without making me spend around $50 for a new battery or $110 for a replacement phone. Well, if I'm going to start spending money, I'll just go get a new phone. However, I'm going for simplicity this time. I got this razr on a promotional special, and not only do I not care about the gimmicks, I actually believe they make my phone harder to use. I was looking at the Nokia 2610, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone knew of a better phone that combines simplicity with good reception, battery life, and durability.

Ballman on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I admit I don't know anything about that Nokia, but I have a Motorola C139 that's worked out pretty well for me.

Two week battery life, I've never had reception problems, and the thing seems to be indestructible.

japan on
  • Options
    Sky DemonSky Demon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know much about the Nokia 2610, but another phone to look at is the Nokia 6030. It's a pretty damned reliable phone with great reception.

Sky Demon on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Check out the Motorola motofone F3.

Simple, sleek, sexy.
    I have no idea how it handles however. It is cheap as fuck here though, my buddy got one with shipping for <40€.

varland on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    See if you can find a Sony Ericsson in your price range. They are awesome phones. Built like tanks, incredibly intuitive UI, and they get good reception.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PookiePookie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Nokia 6265. It slides open, has a 2 MP camera, Mini-SD slot, supports MP3 and video playback, and it has Bluetooth. I've had mine for a year with absolutely no complaints whatsoever, and I think it's an absolute fucking steal, especially compared to the Chocolate and all the other sliders that have come out since.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    See if you can find a Sony Ericsson in your price range. They are awesome phones. Built like tanks, incredibly intuitive UI, and they get good reception.

T68. Joystick stopped working in 6 months, repaired it, stopped working in 2 weeks. Said fuck it and ditched the phone.

T610. Screen scratched to infinity in a few months, incredibly slow, joystick stopped responding after a year.

K750i. Slow, good designed, camera positioning is clever, but the joystick stopped responding after a few months. Had it repaired, stopped working again. Had it repaired and a few weeks later it stopped working again. My friend with the same phone had his joystick stop working as well, but he bought another phone vowing never to buy something with a joystick again.

K800i. Screen scratched BEYOND infinity in a year, decent speed, great performance, horribly designed (the case is bulky and the camera sticks out on the back making it fat as an american pancake), joystick stopped working in a year and last week the fucking ear-speaker stopped working so now I have to use a) a piece of shit headset that falls out of my ears every minute or when I turn my head. I actually carved the earpieces with a knife to make them stay in my ears thanks to the new jagged edges. Or b) use the speaker phone, which works remarkably well, but it's not really a private conversation.

Another friend of mine that got his K800i the same time I did has the same problem with the ear-speaker, but he send it for repairs and the first time they changed the functional rear speaker, but upon sending it back they replaced the right one. It still works, save for the joystick UP motion.

So now I have a 450€ phone that fails to perform it's sole task, in just under a year. Built like a tank my fucking ass. Not to mention the older pre-sony phones I have had, also, shit.

But as long as they work (~1 year) they are good. On the inside. Too bad I'm a shallow motherfucker that prefers pleasing to the eye in front of "personality".

varland on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I must admit that since I switched from Nokia to Sony Ericsson, I haven't looked back even once.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    About a week ago, the battery in my phone started dying from a full charge twice a day on average. I called cingular (The NEW AT&T! :|), and even though my phone is only ~3 weeks out of warranty, they refuse to help me out without making me spend around $50 for a new battery or $110 for a replacement phone. Well, if I'm going to start spending money, I'll just go get a new phone. However, I'm going for simplicity this time. I got this razr on a promotional special, and not only do I not care about the gimmicks, I actually believe they make my phone harder to use. I was looking at the Nokia 2610, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone knew of a better phone that combines simplicity with good reception, battery life, and durability.

I have a Nokia phone that looks just like that phone (I bought it for a pay-by-minute thing) and it is very simplistic, but reliable. Very basic, but usable.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, my girlfriend had a Sony Ericsson for a while, and it was pretty horrible. Granted, this was about 2 years ago, but it was pretty horrible about reception as well as battery life. I'm definitely going to take all of these suggestions into consideration, though. It sounds like I'll look at Nokia, Sony Ericsson (even though I don't think I'll end up with one), and Motorola. Thanks, folks.

Ballman on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you want simple and reliable...

I had a Nokia 3585 for a few years. It was nigh indestructible. It hit multiple walls and floors at high velocities (even fell out a car window at 35 mph) and the most that was needed in the area of repairs was putting the battery back in, and snapping the faceplates back on. Never once had a reception problem with it. Could always coax just a few more minutes out of the battery. Usually if it shut itself off, I could turn it back on and get a few more minutes out of it.

That phone was a tank. It even got rained on and kept on trucking. Best was that it only cost me $0.99! I only switched phones when I got a new one as a gift. Nokia definitely makes solid phones.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, those old dot-matrix nokias were beasts. I don't know how easy they'd be to come by now, though.

HadjiQuest on