As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows Vista Installation DVD

freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Having copies of the Windows XP installation CDs has been a huge help in computer repair. As long as the computer has the license sticker on it, I can reinstall Windows XP Home or Pro without having to wait for the owner to try to find their install disc and without having to deal with SP2 or all the extra crap most computer resellers like to include. I got my copies of Windows XP Home and Pro while I was working at a computer repair shop, but now that I am working on my own for family and friends, I don't have access to such things.

My Grandpa just got a laptop with Vista on it, and after installing Windows XP only to find absolutely no driver support, I had to reinstall from his Toshiba recovery DVDs. There were about twenty programs I had to uninstall, and while in this case I was able to install Vista and the hardware drivers in one shot, sooner or later he is going to lose the disc or it will become outdated, and I will have to install Vista from scratch on another computer.

I vaguely remember reading that all of the various forms of Windows Vista are all contained on one DVD and differentiated with key codes. If this is true it will make my life substantially easier, but getting that disc image still presents somewhat of a problem. I don't trust pirated copies for this sort of thing, and I don't want to buy a copy of Vista.

If anybody can suggest a good way to get a copy of Windows Vista or answer whether or not there are different install discs for each flavor of Vista, please do.

happysig.png
freshmasterfresh on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not only are all the install discs the same, but (one of) the "pirate" image that is floating around is identical (as in, I ran an md5sum and checked) with the downloadable version that college CS students like me get from MSDN.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Any idea how I might be able to acquire the more legitimate downloadable version available through your college? I don't doubt your checksum verification, but there are so many Vista torrents around, and I don't want to take the chance of getting a bunk disc.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Lines: crossed.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.