As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting to Long Island from Philly for a concert

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in Center City Philadelphia and I have tickets to the saturday Rock the Bells concert which is on Randall's Island.

I have no idea how to get there.

There is a little blurb here that says:

"Please use mass transit - Special X80 event buses will leave for Randall’s Island from Lexington Ave and East 125th St., accessible via the Lexington Ave #4, 5 & 6 Subway and from the Metro North 125th St Station. Buses will run at regularly scheduled intervals. Round-trip bus fare is $4.00, payable upon boarding using a Standard or Express Bus MetroCard. For event-specific info log on to www.mta.info"

Basically, I'm thinking, I have to take a greyhound to NYC from Philly, and go from there to one of these bus stops? Do I need a MetroCard or can I pay in caash?

If someone could point me to a map or something with the relevant parts pointed out, that would be appreciated. Or if you have a completely different but better way of getting there, that's good too.

whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
Jinnigan on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Assuming you don't have a car,

Greyhound has a really, really good Philly-NYC roundtrip bus e-ticket ($20). Here it is.

The bus depot here in Philly is at 10th and Filbert... it's pretty much around the corner from the Troc- just about impossible to miss. Where do you live in CC? Which side of Market? If you'd like, I can direct you to the depot via SEPTA.

That bus will drop you at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC, which occupies the blocks between Eighth and Ninth Avenues, from 40th to 42nd Streets. At this point, you will need to buy a MetroCard. It seems that you're not familiar with the MTA, so I'll give you a few hints.

The MetroCard is a slim, flimsy yellow card. Think of it like a TransPass here in Philly- except in NYC, pretty much everyone has a MetroCard, not just regular travelers. There are machines all over to a.) put more money on your M.C., or b.) get a new M.C. A regular ride (bus or subway) will cost you $2... and included in that fare is a transfer within 2 (maybe 3?) hours. That time constraint will rarely come into play. You can get M.C.'s in many increments, so if you only need a few fares, that's fine.

Now to get to 125th and Lexington...

Exit the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and walk a block east to 8th Avenue. Here you can get either the S shuttle or the 7 train eastwards to 42 st./Grand Central Station. I recommend the 7 train because the S doesn't run late at night, and if you get out of the concert late, I don't want you to be confused. I think it's better you take the same route there and back... so I recommend the 7. Once you get off, there are a number of trains you can take northwards. Get on the 4 train. You'll pass several stops, and get off at 125th street.

This is 125th and Lexington Avenue. Hop on your bus, enjoy your concert. :)

Cliffs/tl;dr:

-eticket Greyhound, Philly-NYC roundtrip, $20
    -bus depot in Philly: 10th and Filbert; bus depot in NYC: 8th-9th avenue, 40th-42nd street.
    -if you need directions to 10th and Filbert, ask away.
    -once you get off the bus in NYC, walk a block or two east to Times Square.
    -get on the 7 train eastwards.
    -get off at Grand Central/42nd street.
    -get on the 4 northbound.
    -get off at 125th street/Lexington avenue.

Any additional questions, ask away.

Organichu on