As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bush bans Iraq protest?

2»

• ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    This is really just the whole frog in a warming pot thing.

It's just kind of weird that they're doing this considering how high a chance the democrats have of taking over next election.

But democrats want to bring the troops home. That emboldens the terrorists.

Therefore, voting for a democrat becomes "providing services for or to the benefit of" and gets you locked up. Far more efficient than the caging lists and provisional ballots were.

Yeah, but then Gordon Brown breaks through the prison wall with his bare fists and saves us all.

Shinto on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This bugs me the most because of Bush's mindset.

You know, that whole "Either you're with us, or you're with the terrorists" bit.

jungleroomx on
    edited July 2007
    You know what really bothers me about this story though? It seems to originate in Russian state controlled media, for the purpose of blunting any criticism of the regime there by making the America look hypocritical when we criticise Putin. And it gets over here and people eat it up.

Shinto on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    You know what really bothers me about this story though? It seems to originate in Russian state controlled media, for the purpose of blunting any criticism of the regime there by making the America look hypocritical when we criticise Putin. And it gets over here and people eat it up.

Why wouldn't we? Bush's administration is kind of known for this kind of shit. I just read the executive order in its entirety and it does seem fishy as hell.

It SAYS they freeze funding or property to those who support terrorists through whatever means, but lowering the support for the war effort could easily be construed as endangering our troops and backing up terrorist regimes morale.

At least with these wackos in office.

jungleroomx on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well I'm not surprised at all that Putin's mouthpieces would jump at any opportunity to critisize Bush.

Wow, the site in the OP has some crazy ass articles.
    t was suggested a year ago, that the USS Enterprise was a likely “false flag” target to provide the Bush administration with an excuse to attack Iran. The ship’s last spell in the Gulf passed without incident (let’s hope it will again), but it is now returning to apparently replace the USS Nimitz.

The USS Enterprise is due to be decommissioned in 2014-2015 and is the oldest aircraft carrier in the fleet (launched in 1960), so one could say it is “expendable” on the grounds of age. But what other reasons are there to believe that a carrier might be a possible target for a “new” 9/11?

As many already know, the US government carried out a number of exercises just before the original 9/11, to prepare for a possible air attack by terrorists on buildings within the United States (like the WTC for example), and such an exercise was underway on the day of the attack. In May 2005, the carrier USS America was deliberately sunk after a number of tests using explosives (lasting 25 days). These explosions were designed to simulate attacks by torpedoes, cruise missiles and perhaps a suicide attack with a small boat (like the one that damaged the destroyer USS Cole in Yemen in 2000).

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2007

Why wouldn't we? Bush's administration is kind of known for this kind of shit. I just read the executive order in its entirety and it does seem fishy as hell.

It SAYS they freeze funding or property to those who support terrorists through whatever means, but lowering the support for the war effort could easily be construed as endangering our troops and backing up terrorist regimes morale.

Yes, I'm very concerned that 63% of the population will have their assetts frozen.

Shinto on
    edited July 2007

Yes, I'm very concerned that 63% of the population will have their assetts frozen.

Don't need the masses to have their assets frozen.

All they need to find out is who organized it and nail the ringleader (so to speak). Hell, they could go after government funded institutions like universities with this, and easily.

If nobody is willing to organize it, it won't happen.

jungleroomx on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's just kind of weird that they're doing this considering how high a chance the democrats have of taking over next election.

Therefore, voting for a democrat becomes "providing services for or to the benefit of" and gets you locked up. Far more efficient than the caging lists and provisional ballots were.

Yeah, but then Gordon Brown breaks through the prison wall with his bare fists and saves us all.

But you know he's going to whack a "Freedom Tax" on it. ;-)

Gorak on
    edited July 2007
    How plausible.

Shinto on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    saggio wrote: »
    Wait, isn't whitehouse.gov the joke site?

Yes, but it's also actually a legitimate website for our government.

ZING!

Hachface on
    edited July 2007

But you know he's going to whack a "Freedom Tax" on it. ;-)

Well yeah. Those Scottish orphans aren't going to feed themselves. Gruel costs money.

Shinto on
    edited July 2007
    Addendum: Until Snow Job or another government official actually declare (in lucid, everyday speech) that they will not go after protestors (which they HAVEN'T), then I will continue to believe they are out to silence those pesky little other-thinkers.

I'm not much on big ol' conspiracy theories, I'm also not huge on political rhetoric and bullshit. I've read this thing, though, and I've judged this administration based solely on their previous track record... as such I've come to my conclusion on this. It would NOT surprise me to see the worst-case scenario right out of Orwell's doesn't-need-to-be-named-at-this-point classic from these guys.

jungleroomx on
    edited July 2007
    How plausible.

Nothing these people have done yet has been plausible.

jungleroomx on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Addendum: Until Snow Job or another government official actually declare (in lucid, everyday speech) that they will not go after protestors (which they HAVEN'T), then I will continue to believe they are out to silence those pesky little other-thinkers.

Any power a government is given it will eventually use.

Gorak on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Was it Cheney or Rumsfield who said that we needed to have a good hard look at the Bill of Rights or Constitution soon.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2007

I'm not much on big ol' conspiracy theories, I'm also not huge on political rhetoric and bullshit. I've read this thing, though, and I've judged this administration based solely on their previous track record... as such I've come to my conclusion on this. It would NOT surprise me to see the worst-case scenario right out of Orwell's doesn't-need-to-be-named-at-this-point classic from these guys.

Their track record? They haven't moved to shut down the federal funding of universities with anti-war organizations and academics. They wouldn't even need this executive order to do that.

What is this track record that suggests to you the imminent seizure of the property of any prominent anti-war leaders at all? Has the IRS been harrassing them? Have security services done more than surveil protest groups?

Please.

Shinto on
    edited July 2007
    The US Government already had the power to freeze the assets and sieze property of people supporting terrorist organizations, didn't they?

So why the EO? Friendly reminder?

jungleroomx on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Constitution > Executive Order.

I'm not worried.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Coincidentally, remember that directive establishing Executive control over all the government in the event of a significant, disruptive terrorist attack?

They just denied Congress the ability to look at materials related to its implementation.

Professor Phobos on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    "services for or to the benefit of" (emphasis mine) can reasonably be used to freeze the assets of protestors.
    Not really.

Because they would have to show somehow that Joe Protester and his sign on fifth avenue gave a service or benefit to a specific person committing or about to commit an act of violence in Iraq. Which is, of course, impossible.
    Or to a given organization. It is far from an unreasonable claim that undermining the morale of both the American military and the civilian population's support of the war provides a service to organizations who wish to destabilize Iraq.
    This whole idea that protests undermine troop morale strikes me as sheer idiocy. Surely their morale is more threatened by having to serve 11-month tours in an increasingly hostile war zone while being led by incompetent Bush cronies, than by a bunch of people with signs who are lucky to get a passing mention in the back section of the local daily.

Azio on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    "services for or to the benefit of" (emphasis mine) can reasonably be used to freeze the assets of protestors.
    Not really.

Because they would have to show somehow that Joe Protester and his sign on fifth avenue gave a service or benefit to a specific person committing or about to commit an act of violence in Iraq. Which is, of course, impossible.
    Or to a given organization. It is far from an unreasonable claim that undermining the morale of both the American military and the civilian population's support of the war provides a service to organizations who wish to destabilize Iraq.
    This whole idea that protests undermine troop morale strikes me as sheer idiocy. Surely their morale is more threatened by having to serve 11-month tours in an increasingly hostile war zone while being led by incompetent Bush cronies, than by a bunch of people with signs who are lucky to get a passing mention in the back section of the local daily.

I rather enjoy when people form protests; it's nice to see people exercising their Constitutional rights.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As long as they have the proper permits.

Pesky hippies.

Tach on
  • Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Not to support Bush in any way, shape or form...

But suppose the DOHS had intercepted a slew of incredibly violent terrorist attacks in the last few weeks that were given zero publicity.

Would calling for what amounts to financial martial law be justified if it became obvious that the terror attacks were being orchestrated to coincide with public demonstrations?

Che Guevara on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Not really.

15. 15 month tours.

Doc on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Not really.

15. 15 month tours.
    Not to mention the whole operation is run by Zapp Brannigan.

Quid knows what I'm talking about.

Hacksaw on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

But suppose the DOHS had intercepted a slew of incredibly violent terrorist attacks in the last few weeks that were given zero publicity.

Would calling for what amounts to financial martial law be justified if it became obvious that the terror attacks were being orchestrated to coincide with public demonstrations?
    That sounds an awful lot like giving into terrorist demands to me.

SniperGuy on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    man, I didn't realize until halfway into this thread that the OP linked a Winnipeg "media" site. Winnipeg is a small, small city and I've never even HEARD of them, although I'm pretty certain that the "favoured downtown cafe" mentioned in the FAQ is Mondragon, a bullshit hippie joint.

That said, this is powerfully fucked up stuff. Was this one of those things that people you elected were supposed to vote against, or is this pretty much just Bush writing down a memo that says "I can take whatever I like if I want to" and then calling that law?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not really.

15. 15 month tours.
    Christ

Azio on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    man, I didn't realize until halfway into this thread that the OP linked a Winnipeg "media" site. Winnipeg is a small, small city and I've never even HEARD of them, although I'm pretty certain that the "favoured downtown cafe" mentioned in the FAQ is Mondragon, a bullshit hippie joint.

That said, this is powerfully fucked up stuff. Was this one of those things that people you elected were supposed to vote against, or is this pretty much just Bush writing down a memo that says "I can take whatever I like if I want to" and then calling that law?

Pretty much Bush writing a memo.
    If they try to use it against simple protestors, it won't hold up in court. Our court system isn't totally fucktarded, yet.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Not really.

15. 15 month tours.
    Not to mention the whole operation is run by Zapp Brannigan.

Quid knows what I'm talking about.
    He sent wave after wave of his own men at the terrorists until they got sad and gave up?

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whoever wrote that article doesn't seem to know about the a href tag...those long links are distracting...

thundercake on
  • Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

That sounds an awful lot like giving into terrorist demands to me.

Wouldn't the alternative be real martial law? Right now they're just threatening everyone's wallets.

That would be a considerable step down in terms of how they moderate their response to terrorist activity.

Are they worried about homegrown terrorists rioting in the streets?

Che Guevara on
  • DisenchanterDisenchanter Magnolia, DERegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Theoretically, yes, such an executive order could be used to stop many types of protests. But if he actually tried to enforce it against protesters, I'm fairly certain he'd be struck down by the Supreme Court. That whole, "freedom of speech" nonsense.

you would think, but very few people remember that toward the beginning of this war, Bush had a group of peaceful protestors arrested for protesting this war. There has never been any repercussion for that action. His justification was that they were comitting treason by going against his orders and decisions. Since you know, he is the US dictator.

Disenchanter on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »

If they try to use it against simple protestors, it won't hold up in court. Our court system isn't totally fucktarded, yet.

I'd Google "Federalist Society" if I were you.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I do not see where, in the actual text quoted, it outlaws protests.

I see outlawing behaviour that supports actions against the USA overseas. As in, funding insurgents in Iraq. Am I missing something?

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    strakha_7 wrote: »
    I do not see where, in the actual text quoted, it outlaws protests.

I see outlawing behaviour that supports actions against the USA overseas. As in, funding insurgents in Iraq. Am I missing something?

The elasticity of the term 'supporting actions against the US overseas.' Although it would take a hell of a lot of work to stretch that out to protestors. I mean, the definition of treason more or less coincides with this. Who cares, though. Damn hippies never really do anything. They just block traffic for a few hours and stink up the place.

moniker on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »

I'd Google "Federalist Society" if I were you.

That a significant proportion of judges are conservative does not imply that they are also fucktarded. I'm not so kneejerk liberal to suggest that believing in strict constructionism makes one inherently corrupt.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The real thing isn't protests but the ability of the President to declare someone financially annihilated by fiat, with little hope for review.

Like much of the abuses of this administration, it isn't so much what they want to do that is bad, it's that they want to do it without any checks on their power or oversight over their decisions.

Professor Phobos on