As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Money, selling blood... Yay or Nay

Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I need a couple of dollars and I've thought about selling blood. Is this a good thing to do or no? If it's an okay thing to do, what should I know before doing it?

pasigfa7.jpg
Kewop Decam on

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nay.

Sell plasma instead you can donate more often.

Blake T on
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure what country you're in but in the USA its illegal to sell blood (exceptions are made for stuff like clinical research). Unless you mean selling plasma, in which case I don't think there are many reasons not to besides it being time consuming. I've sold my plasma a few times and the biggest reason I can think of not to is that you can make better money at anything but a minimum wage job. Though you do essentially get paid for lying down for a few hours.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Friend of mine used to work in a plasma donation center.

You make just about as much if you work - might be better to get a part-time job.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're, like, between jobs, there's no reason not to.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sperm is a better deal in general, if you're over 5'11 and haven't had any incurable STDs. A college degree helps too.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How much does Plasma go for? Anyone have a general ballpark?

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    $20-$30 with a limit of twice per week.

Considering it takes 45 mins just to give it, you're likely to be there 2-3 hours once you factor in recovery time, paperwork, etc.

If you really want money getting a decent part time job for 8 hours a week is probably a better deal.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Considering it takes 45 mins just to give it, you're likely to be there 2-3 hours once you factor in recovery time, paperwork, etc.

If you really want money getting a decent part time job for 8 hours a week is probably a better deal.

There's no reason to need to do paperwork beyond the first time, and I never needed any recovery time. So I'd say 45 minutes plus the wait to get in and out. Meanwhile you can read, though a bit awkwardly and with only one hand.

As for selling sperm, my impression is that there's quite a bit of demand to sell and not nearly enough need on the part of the banks to accept any sizeable portion of the demand. But if you do get accepted, then yeah, it can be $120-150, once a week, for 6 weeks(6 months? I forget).

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, the thing with selling sperm is, I wouldn't want a kid showing up at my door ten years down the road. I'd feel terrible.

tardcore on
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meh. $20 for 2 hours of plasma while in an uncomfortable position while watching a movie on the ceiling.

Well, you can try it once or twice, and if it doesn't work out, no skin off your back, right?

If you really only "need a couple of dollars" soon it'll work for you. Remember they may take their sweet time in processing the pay, so if immediacy is an issue, make sure to ask them before you spend the time doing so.

Etelmik on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Etelmik wrote: »
    ...if it doesn't work out, no skin off your back, right?

I find something humorous about using that phrase in a thread about donating aspects of your body.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    sorry, I meant Plasma and there's no way I'm selling sperm. There's this place here that gives you like $120, but I have no idea how much they take out of you.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've gone back and forth on the sperm thing. I don't pretty much because my girlfriend threatens to break up with me if I do. As far as the kid thing goes, afaik you have the option of your identity remaining private or available to them at a certain point. Yeah, you could end up in a "Made in America" situation where the kid breaks into the sperm bank office to track you down, but you have no legal responsibility to them (whether or not you have a moral responsibility to them depends on your philosophies regarding family).

A friend of mine who donates (medical researcher with a PhD) justifies it like so: the people who use these banks are going to use them whether your sperm is there or not. If you believe you have good genes, why not help propogate your good genes over some other random moron? It's for the good of the human race.

Plus it's decent money just for wanking.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Septus wrote: »

There's no reason to need to do paperwork beyond the first time, and I never needed any recovery time. So I'd say 45 minutes plus the wait to get in and out. Meanwhile you can read, though a bit awkwardly and with only one hand.

As for selling sperm, my impression is that there's quite a bit of demand to sell and not nearly enough need on the part of the banks to accept any sizeable portion of the demand. But if you do get accepted, then yeah, it can be $120-150, once a week, for 6 weeks(6 months? I forget).

I have a friend who donates sperm (high SATs, college education, really good-looking, no diseases) - after a VERY rigorous screening process, they let you do it up to 3 times per week, $125 per visit. No sex/masturbation 24 hours beforehand tho (i think). Also you can only do it for a year, tops, although YMMV depending on the clinic.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You need to sell plasma or platelettes to make money. Do they even pay for plain old blood anymore?

Fellhand on
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    At Taximes:

8-)

Etelmik on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Etelmik wrote: »
    Meh. $20 for 2 hours of plasma while in an uncomfortable position while watching a movie on the ceiling.

Again, my experience with two different clinics was a maximum of about 45 minutes spent actually donating. I was also not uncomfortable(from the bed), except for when one of the two clinics used saline to replace the lost plasma, but it was room temperature, so it felt pretty cold inside my arm.

The biggest deterrent for a college student with time to kill, would be the nutrition requirements. You can't just eat crap all day and expect to be able to sell. They'll do a small pinprick blood test each time you go, and turn you down that day if your nutrition is too far out of whack making the plasma undesirable.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

I have a friend who donates sperm (high SATs, college education, really good-looking, no diseases) - after a VERY rigorous screening process, they let you do it up to 3 times per week, $125 per visit. No sex/masturbation 24 hours beforehand tho (i think). Also you can only do it for a year, tops, although YMMV depending on the clinic.

Yeah, the screening process is hardcore, only between 5-10% of applicants are accepted. If you can get it though, it's essentially free money. Donations are considered protected health information and donors are absolved of any legal responsibilities towards the children, in most states it's actually illegal for a bank to disclose names of donors to recipients. Most places I think now let you do it 6 months or so.

And generally the rules are that you must wait 5 days after masturbation or sex to donate, which might be a bit inconvenient for some people.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    You need to sell plasma or platelettes to make money. Do they even pay for plain old blood anymore?

I believe it's illegal. Which is too bad, because I think a small amount of money would go a long way towards reducing our blood shortage.

Fats on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fats wrote: »

I believe it's illegal. Which is too bad, because I think a small amount of money would go a long way towards reducing our blood shortage.
    Not to turn this into a D&D thread, but the law was passed because of the results of this kind of reasoning. More blood gets donated, sure, but the trend is that much more of it is tainted with STDs or drugs and has to be thrown out because of the demographics that are influenced by the relatively small amount of money they would be able to pay per donation.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JHunz wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »

Not to turn this into a D&D thread, but the law was passed because of the results of this kind of reasoning. More blood gets donated, sure, but the trend is that much more of it is tainted with STDs or drugs and has to be thrown out because of the demographics that are influenced by the relatively small amount of money they would be able to pay per donation.

I do understand why it's illegal, but we need to figure something out. Blood use is only going to go up as trauma and critical care technology improves, and the synthetic blood we've come up with has been less than effective. (Everyone here donates, right?)

Anyway, OP, it's a painless process that doesn't take that long. Go for it.

Fats on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've heard it said in previous threads that if you do sperm, you're pretty much required to come in 1-2 times a week for a couple months? I guess because they spend so much effort screening people, that when they get someone decent they want to be sure to get what they can from you.

Which I can understand, but it is a bit more of a commitment than just walking in for some extra cash one day. If it's true.

Scooter on