As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would you play D&D in the Meydenbauer garage?

Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
edited May 2005 in PAX Archive
The PAX D&D sessions were the first to fill up. As a D&D gamer this makes me happy: my fellow D&D dorks will be at PAX in force. As a PAX planner it makes me sad: I'm getting tons of mail from people demanding more D&D sessions.

The problem is space. We've already rented out the entire Meydenbauer Center. There's no more room for additional tabletop/D&D areas.

A solution is designating a floor of the underground parking garage as the PAX D&D lair. We'd block off that floor, fill it with tables, maybe add some decorations.

I was resistant to this idea when Robert first proposed it. Even with the floor blocked off to cars, it's still a garage. It'll be a little dirty. It'll be a little gloomy.

Then I thought: hey, that sounds like the place I game every weekend.

So what do you think? Given that the parking garage is literally the only unused space at the Meydenbauer Center available for tabletop, would you game there?

-Mike

Mike Fehlauer on

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    dude... that sounds like such a bitchin' good idea....

and so fitting!

Cheers!

Small

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2005
    Yes.

Provided someone can run Living Greyhawk. I desperately want an Urnst regional.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    You guys need to larp.

oh please larp

futility on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Hell. Yes.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2005
    futility wrote:
    You guys need to larp.

oh please larp

i would have to set the building on fire if larping was taking place in its walls

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    futility wrote:
    You guys need to larp.

oh please larp

i would have to set the building on fire if larping was taking place in its walls

Red for flaming buildings to exterminate larpers.

Also, I wouldn't mind trying out some D&D in the bottom floor of a garage.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Xieflow wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    futility wrote:
    You guys need to larp.

oh please larp

Red for flaming buildings to exterminate larpers.

Also, I wouldn't mind trying out some D&D in the bottom floor of a garage.

this is why i want the larping.

for the comedic aspect

and so I can just plain feel better about myself

futility on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2005
    Everyone should be allowed to play, with the exception of people like Borfase and futility whose only purpose would be to disrupt things with their extremely fucking unique snowflake brand of humor.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Everyone should be allowed to play, with the exception of people like Borfase and futility whose only purpose would be to disrupt things with their extremely fucking unique snowflake brand of humor.

you mean good?

futility on
  • Options
    edited April 2005

shucks, i'm not allowed to play D&D.

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Borfase wrote:

It's ok borfase. maybe someone will start a riveting game of gurps or shadowrun. or maybe even torg

futility on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    futility wrote:
    Borfase wrote:

It's ok borfase. maybe someone will start a riveting game of gurps or shadowrun. or maybe even torg

oh god yes torg

Borfase on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    I'd play... hell, I even think exhaust fumes would allow is to get more "in character"

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    I think is sounds like a fantastic idea, personally. As long as it's, you know, not cold in there. :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MegaMan AddictMegaMan Addict Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    So how does this all work? Do I bring pre-made characters and join a game fit for them, or roll a new one on the spot?

Will there be enough games to sit in on? Do I have to play the campaign through to the end?

If the D&D pre-registration (which revolved around some contests) was already filled up before I could register, can I still play a regular game?

Questions, questions and more questions. :P

MegaMan Addict on
  • Options
    Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    MegaMan Addict: the garage space would be used for pickup games (freeplay), Living Greyhawk, and (potentially) additional tournaments with registration at the con.

Personally I see the Lair as being devoted mainly to relatively long-term periods of gaming, such as the 4-hour Living Greyhawk slots. Tournaments and tabletop games (like Magic and the miniatures games) will be upstairs in the dedicated tabletop room. The additional garage space is for those who want to hunker down for several hours at a time and focus on rolling dice.

-Mike

Mike Fehlauer on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I'm not going, so my opinion is basically worthless. I'd just like to point out a few things for people to keep in mind. Like Tassia noted, it could be cold. Parking structures are not notorious for their insulation. Wind could also be a factor; and if it isn't, car fumes probably will be. There's also the tilt of the ramps that could play hell with pencils, pens, some of the rounder dice, and eats and drinks. Finally, did anybody bother to check and see if this was even legal? Can you set up tables for potentially hundreds of people to spend 3 days in a parking garage? City/county/state might have something to say about that.

chromdom on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2005
    THREE WORDS, KIDS:

Carbon. Monoxide. Poisoning.

The silent killer.

Squashua on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Squashua wrote:
    THREE WORDS, KIDS:

Silent. But. Deadly.

The silent killer.

with some of the gamers I've met...

Xieflow on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    i'm going to contribute to the CO concern. i doubt i'm going to make it to the con, and if i do make it, i probably won't spend time RPing, but i'd hate to see you guys on the news for gassing nerds.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    KaedisKaedis Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I also am not going, so take this post with that in mind (I really wish I could though). :(

Anyways, I have been to more than my fair share of cons and have even been on staff at my local big con, Dragon-Con out of Atlanta.

I think the idea is cool in theory. Kind of like playing D&D in somebody's parents humungous basement.

However, in practice, I don't think it would work.

First off is the Fire Marshal. I would be amazed if he/she lets this pass. But this isn't Atlanta you’re talking about, so who knows.

Second is security. In general parking garages don't have near as much as a typical convention hall. Be prepared to have things stolen, people walking in who did not pay, bums.... Not to mention the location's concern about vehicles being broken into. I seriously doubt any PAX attendee would stoop to this, but convincing the local security of that may be challenging.

Third is echoes, (echoes, echoes). I don't know about your games, but the ones I have with my friends have gotten a little loud at times. Now multiply that by 100 and put it in a hall that has no sound absorbing materials what-so-ever. Fun. (What?) I said THIS IS FUN!! (WHAT!!??)

Fourth, as has been pointed out, vehicle fumes. True, you are talking about the bottom levels and, in theory, fumes go up right? Trust me, gas fumes and carbon monoxide will be the party favors at this gathering, not to mention BO, but that goes with all gaming. :roll:

Fifth was also pointed out before, temperature. Whether it is hot or cold that parking garage will be less than comfortable. Add in wind and you have a rather unfriendly atmosphere to relax in.

Sixth Oil Stains. What parking garage doesn't have them. Gonna have it on your shoes, any books, book bags, miniature carriers or what-not you set on the ground.

**edit** Seventh, Bathrooms, or lack there of. Now add in gamers with too much soda and too much imagination. Add the scent of urin to gas fumes and carbon-monoxide. Sa-weet..sniff...or is that Sa-weat.

**edit** Eighth Oh and the dank, you can't forget the dank...actually, put together all those smells and it would be like gaming in MOE's Bar on the Simpson's with a couple hundred Barney clones. :lol:

**edit**edit** Ninth, Lighting generaly sucks in parking garages. There are lights here and there, but they will generaly be to little or too much.

**edit**edit** Tenth, Bugs. Lots of them.

I know I am sounding like a real buzz-killer here, but I just gotta point these things out. I think it would be better to look for a more realistic solution.

Just my two cents, take it for what little it's worth.

**edit**edit** Sorry, I'll shut up now. :oops:

Kaedis on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Kaedis wrote:
    First off is the Fire Marshal. I would be amazed if he/she lets this pass. But this isn't Atlanta you’re talking about, so who knows.
    Well, here in Atlanta, they use the Fire Marshall as an enforcer outside the bounds of law. He does all sorts of shit to control elements the city doesn't approve of that are legally ambiguous. Shutting down clubs for suspected serving to minors is a lengthy and involved legal process. Having the Fire Marshall shut them down for whatever perceive infraction he wants and fining the shit out of them is effortless.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Well, here in Atlanta, they use the Fire Marshall as an enforcer outside the bounds of law. He does all sorts of shit to control elements the city doesn't approve of that are legally ambiguous. Shutting down clubs for suspected serving to minors is a lengthy and involved legal process. Having the Fire Marshall shut them down for whatever perceive infraction he wants and fining the shit out of them is effortless.

Amen to that. My friend who was in charge of gaming at Dragon-Con for a year or two had loads of fun with them. :roll:

Kaedis on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Hell yes! Sadly, I won't be able to make it to PAX myself, but tabletop in the garage? I'd be all for it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Does this place have a basement? Cuz, ya know, that might be more appropriate...heh. I mean, it may not be musty like our parents' basements, but you can avoid the CO exposure.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    smilinratsmilinrat Registered User new member
    edited April 2005
    Just so everyone is aware. Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air. It sinks not rises.

Secondly all parking garages are equipped with air exchangers to prevent the build up of carbon monoxide. They don't want to be killing the people who park their cars in there now do they.

smilinrat on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Garage D&D?

Rivers Cuomo would be proud...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Just so everyone is aware. Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air. It sinks not rises.

Excellent points Smilinrat.

My chemistry professor would be strangling me right now.

Also, I forgot about the air exchangers. They would have those I would expect.

Still, I think those would be designed for folks having limited exposure to the fumes, walking to your car and back for instance. However, being in there for an extended time, (playing an extended 40K or D&D game for instance), might become unpleasant even with air exchangers present.

Kaedis on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    It's still not very healthy. I wouldn't think CO would be appreciably that much heavier than air, and would still get to people, even if it's not even close to deadly levels. Also, there are a lot of bad things in car exhaust.
    I'm sure there'll be room elsewheres. Last year, there seemed to be places for games like that, and there's always people's rooms.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DarkphibreDarkphibre Photographer / Programmer / Data Scientist / Gamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    A lot of people are assuming that these would be in-use garages. There are several garage buildings around, I was under the impression that the PA folks would be reserving an entire buliding (or several levels) for this purpose.

I agree, it could be cold. And security would need to be beefed up a bit. But it could be increadibly fun (and I'm not saying that just because I missed out on the D&D signup :) ).

Darkphibre on
    Gamertag: Darkphibre, or Me for Halo! darkphibre.com, flickr

Dark Fibre: Fiberoptic cable placed in anticipation of future demand

7z9qpxgpj3ha.png
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    I have some experience with the whole "event in a garage thing".

I go to a big scientific conference every year, and they have the poster sessions and vendor area in a floor of the parking garage. It's not bad; they take all the cars out, they carpet the floor (for comfort and to protect from road grime), they bring in BIG air conditioning units since thousands of bodies in an enclosed space gets warm pretty quick, they bring in several coffee and ice water stations for when the poster sessions are happening... it's not bad. The acoustics are also a fair bit better than the floor of a large auditorium (since the ceiling helps you hear people near you) although the boards the posters are hung on probably act as baffles and help with that as well.

I bet the space they're talking about isn't a high-traffic garage. If people in expensive suits (the primary food item of the North American Spotted Convention Center) are willing to have their events there, gamers should feel right at home.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Since time immemorial I have played D&D in a garage! Do not ignore the long march of years, from my childhood to older-than-dirt-ness.
    Invader blood runs through my veins like a pair of giant plastic pants!
    You cannot ignore my veins! The pants command me!
    Run it in the garage.
    :twisted:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ibib Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    i think you should do it because i'm not going to be there and it'll be a huge fucking fiasco

ib on
    deltas/demosthenes/fucking retard
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Where's the civil engineers to shoot this down, for health and logistic reasons?

Also I highly doubt the convention center will let you do it, also it's probably illegal (constitutes a fire hazard).

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I think you all bitch way to much.... if you don't like it... DON"T PLAY THERE!!!!!

i'm sure the rest of us will be just fine gaming with out you...

Cheers,

Small

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Wait a minute... the garage is outside, right?

Aren't there Bears outside? :shock:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I think it would be awesome fun to have a giant parking garage tabletop fiesta but I don't actually play D&D so who really cares what I think?

Mainly I want you to do it so I can take lots of nifty pics with my digital camera for the folks back on Tau Ceti Four-and-a-half.

Puny Human on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Ok, the CO worries are really being overblown. Now I'm not going, so maybe what I say doesn't matter, but the catalytic converters in those places are incredibly well suited to removing CO from the air... it's what they do. Thought experiment, you're going to your car, run into someone you haven't seen for a while, stop to chat for 30 minutes, 45 minutes, whatever. Can you imagine if one of those people got CO poisoning? The lawsuit would be insane. Additionally, with minor ventilation it's not THAT big of a threat in a place that size. I worked at an indoor go-kart track years ago, and our convertor was down for months, it was illegal, but nobody got sick.
    I don't know the fire laws of Seattle, but I see no reason why this would be a problem so long as exits are marked... besides, there's room to get CARS out I'm sure there's room to get PEOPLE out in case of a fire. The building would be to code in its entirety.
    I think it sounds like a cool idea.

Edit - I should scroll down before I post, Gabe already nixed it. hehe.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    8) you know CO2 tends to soffocate the brain...and get you extremely high...

I'm just pointing out that you could have several hundred, high, on-the-verge-of-death, nerds... and that be a little hard to control...

Shade on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    If Gabe's worried about cars coming through, perhaps we should make the garage a "Spycraft" gaming site... so when some careless car does come careening around the corner, we can successfully work it into the plotline as a Live-Action cutscene! ;)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095