As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Birthday Present Decision

CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So I'm thinking of getting either New Super Mario Bros or Mario 64 DS for my brother for his birthday, but I know next to nothing about either game, other than they're both pretty good. He's still pretty new to video games, but he's played stuff like Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country and had fun.

I've played the old Mario 64 and think that might be a bit too much for him, how does it compare to New Super Mario Bros?

Craigopogo on

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If he's never played a game in 3 dimensions before, Mario 64 might be a little much. I had a little trouble getting used to navigating that game on the DS.

I had fun with New SMB, and if he's really young, he'll dig it.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New Super Mario Bros is basically the classic Mario 2D movement/sidescrolling platformer with 3D graphics and some moves/enemies from newer Mario games.

It's the best of both Mario game styles, and is the pinnacle of modern Mario games, in my opinion.

Kriz on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mario 64 is a bit harder to control, with either a touchscreen joystick or a clumsy d-pad scheme. It's an important and tremendously fun game, but I think it'd be better to play on VC (it is out, right?) or on N64.

NSMB is fantastic, and pretty long for a platformer. He should like it a lot.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Mario 64 is a bit harder to control, with either a touchscreen joystick or a clumsy d-pad scheme. It's an important and tremendously fun game, but I think it'd be better to play on VC (it is out, right?) or on N64.

Agreed... Mario 64 was meant to be played with an analog stick. The DS Pad doesn't work nearly as well. And yeah, it's on the Virtual Console.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll third(or fourth?) the New Super Mario Bros. suggestion. Much better game on the DS, I have both, and haven't touched 64 DS in like, 18 months.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I wasn't expecting it to be quite so unanimous. Thanks for the advice.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here is another birthday question. My sister's husband's bday is on Saturday. I was thinking either Bomberman, Resident Evil, or something else we already don't have. Basically, I am looking for a new multiplayer game for us besides our main Mario Kart DS. All games are DS.

Basically, last year on a cruise we had a Mario Kart tournament at every country we went to. (just had 1 race per place) I figure Bomberman is my best bet. Does it have any customization on your character in that one?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bomberman doesn't have too much customization (if you're talking about Bomber Land Touch) but it's pretty much my favorite DS game (only for the battle mode!) that's come out yet.

You get to choose one of 8 colors pretty much.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah ok. I will probably buy myself that and him as well. Question about it, can you play just againt the computer if you have no one else to play with?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85