As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Universities don't care about students

Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm starting to see that every establishment that has ever been built only cares about money. I wouldn't be surprised if non-profit organizations seem to only care about money after what I've seen with hospitals, churches, and most recently, universities.

I enrolled in a chemistry class this summer, and seeing that it would be too much for me, I dropped the class with no-record status. Everything seemed fine and dandy, and I assumed that I would receive at least some of my money back for the class. I was enrolled in the class for about a week and a half, so that would entitle me to some money, right?

Apparently I'm way off-base in thinking that the university would refund me any money. I called the business office of my university this morning, and I was told that I missed the 100% refund by four days. I asked if I was entitled to any money at all, and I was told that it's either all or nothing.

This leads me to believe that universities do not care about education. I've been lead to believe that all that the university cares about is receiving a paycheck. Are all universities like this? Why does everything always boil down to money? Hospitals, churches, now universities? What's next, charging money for reading the forums?

Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
Buddy Lee on

• Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I sympathize, but that's the way the world is. We are a capitalist economy which means that everyone requires money to survive and universities are no exceptions to that rule.

furiousNU on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    I'm starting to see that every establishment that has ever been built only cares about money. I wouldn't be surprised if non-profit organizations seem to only care about money after what I've seen with hospitals, churches, and most recently, universities.

It's ok, you'll move swiftly via that thought to student communism, wear a Che T-shirt and sit around talking about Marx a lot, then quickly disown it all next year. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, any institution which relies on money to operate is going to be concerned with money. That doesn't mean every professor or member of that institution is a greenback grubbing whore. Where big establishments are concerned, the parts are often more than their sum.

(that will be £5 please)

Fawkes on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I kinda know what you mean. My brother had an on-campus job, and thanks to us getting a new chancellor and budget cuts that he wants to make, he was basically fired without any warning. And he worked for two weeks without pay. I later found out that all students with on-campus jobs were fired for the rest of the summer. Part of this was to pay for a multimillion dollar parking garage that was built here last fall.

I guess they gotta pay for the garage, but he wasn't given any notice at all that he might be getting canned, and now he has to find a retail job that might hire him for another month or so.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I go to a reputable but non-Ivy league school. I'm visiting my girlfriend at her Ivy league school and can't help but notice how shitty the facilities are. Shitty (but old-looking) classrooms & buildings, shitty gym, shitty music practice rooms... while my less prestigious school has much better facilities. I guess it makes sense from a business point of view - Ivy Leagues know that they're going to get a buttload of great applicants from their name alone, so they don't need to sell their facilities as much. From what I've heard, pretty much the only way that a school like this can get a new gym or something is if a rich alumnus donates a bunch of money specifically for a new gym. That just seems really shitty to me.

Apparently I like the word "shitty."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Navigating University buracracy should be a course all it's own. i learned how to maniuplate it pretty well(like for example I got credit for 4 classes literally two days befroe graduation to get my degree on time). This was becasue the graduation dept was actively fucking with me to get me to stay another semester.

Key is the lackys know nothing or will actively mislead you. Take everything to Dept heads or consult the rules yourself.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorta reminds me of the debate I had back when I was at SAIT (Tech college).

The students were complaining that the guy in charge of SAIT made $500,000 a year. They were saying that we're paying all this tuition so he can make all that money. I told them to think about that.

20K students enrolled. Cut his pay cheque in half. $250,000 a year is saved. Each student gets back $13 a year, or $4 a semester. Just how much does that save you?

Sure, it seems wasteful and sure post secondary is expensive and sure it's a business that runs on money. But like any business, if you don't approve, don't give them your business. There's lots of good work for someone with a high school diploma.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »

The students were complaining that the guy in charge of SAIT made $500,000 a year. They were saying that we're paying all this tuition so he can make all that money. I told them to think about that.

20K students enrolled. Cut his pay cheque in half. $250,000 a year is saved. Each student gets back $13 a year, or $4 a semester. Just how much does that save you?

Sure, it seems wasteful and sure post secondary is expensive and sure it's a business that runs on money. But like any business, if you don't approve, don't give them your business. There's lots of good work for someone with a high school diploma.

Actually, since $4 a semester for all the students is still $4 a semester, they had a point. What you should have asked is what you are getting for that extra $250,000 for this guy. In the case of university provosts and such, you are probably getting quite a bit, as they try to headhunt impressive resumes / political contacts / leaders in some field somewhere. Largely the reason they do this is a) prestige, b) to directly attract funding / contacts through that person, but a combination of a) and b) is c) to attract good department staff. Since research staff in the departments constitute the largest amount of funding that universities recieve, paying that extra £250,000 for the guy at the top may be netting the university not only a large amount of research funding, but individual financial contributions & of course prestige, which then attracts more and richer students, thus lowering the financial burden for all students a lot more than $4 per semester.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry, but people are just now figuring this out? I thought this was pretty well-known.

As nexus said,
    Navigating University buracracy should be a course all it's own.

Edit: This isn't a sweeping condemnation of every university employee, just the average university administration. I'm at a pretty sweet school right now, I'm treated well, and shit that needs to get done gets done, but that's mainly because pretty much everything is handled internally by my department. Lord help me when I need to deal with university administration, though, and I shudder to think back on when I was an undergrad at a state school and had to deal with administration on a regular basis.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fawkes, I did say something like that, but not nearly as in depth. :P Looking back, though, I think they were getting good value for their money. SAIT is booming - there are ALWAYS cranes in it's compound. Lots of expansion going on and the computer network there is badass. Every student has a laptop and every desk has an outlet/network jack.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Sure, it bothers me that the president of my university is fucking loaded while I pay a lot of money in tuition, but I knew about the tuition prices when I enrolled in the class. I'm just getting ripped off, though. I expected to get at least half of my money back. The fact that I don't get refunded at all after a few days of being enrolled in a class is just ridiculous. I'm not getting educated at all... I could understand if they kept 9% of what I paid, hell, I could live with them having half of the money. I just want to receive something back... I was enrolled in the class for a week and a half.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Navigating University buracracy should be a course all it's own. i learned how to maniuplate it pretty well(like for example I got credit for 4 classes literally two days befroe graduation to get my degree on time). This was becasue the graduation dept was actively fucking with me to get me to stay another semester.

Key is the lackys know nothing or will actively mislead you. Take everything to Dept heads or consult the rules yourself.
    Ain't that the truth.

Actually, I was always amazingly lucky, in that the secretaries at my departments were always both amazingly competent and amazingly helpful. I did my part too (getting paperwork filled in, signed, and hand-delivered to them well before the deadlines), but they always were happy to help, propose solutions and administrative tricks I didn't know of, even take special care of my paperwork. This includes them taking my paperwork to the dean to get him to sign it right now and process it right away. I <3 them.

The rest of the university bureaucracy though, not so much love for them. And I've heard some horror stories. My brother had two exams scheduled at the same time, and his secretary (in another department) just put his paperwork at the bottom of the pile. The day before the deadline she had not even come close to getting to it, and when pressured by us she just dismissed it as "meh, he can always take the exam again next time the course is offered".

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Sure, it bothers me that the president of my university is fucking loaded while I pay a lot of money in tuition, but I knew about the tuition prices when I enrolled in the class. I'm just getting ripped off, though. I expected to get at least half of my money back. The fact that I don't get refunded at all after a few days of being enrolled in a class is just ridiculous. I'm not getting educated at all... I could understand if they kept 9% of what I paid, hell, I could live with them having half of the money. I just want to receive something back... I was enrolled in the class for a week and a half.

However, if the class was full, you were taking up a slot that could have been filled by someone else who would have completed the course. By the time you dropped, it would have been too late for someone else to start the class. Thus, you paid for the space you "took up" in the class even though you dropped it.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »
    However, if the class was full, you were taking up a slot that could have been filled by someone else who would have completed the course. By the time you dropped, it would have been too late for someone else to start the class. Thus, you paid for the space you "took up" in the class even though you dropped it.

That's really the crux of it right there. Most uni's can't afford to accommodate every student who would drop a class in the first week or two, and by then it's too late for anyone who isn't waitlisted for the class.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A university that closes due to lack of funds isn't doing anyone any good.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, gonna jump in with the "some people just realized this now?"

The larger universities have budgets of over a billion dollars. Tell me that's just for public academia and I'll tell you to soak your head.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not to pick on you, but I don't think this is a situation where the university deserves all of the blame. Seems like this situation could have been avoided if you were more knowledgeable about your school's policy in regards to dropping classes.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My school used to let people audit into classes until like the 2nd or 3rd class

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    Nerissa wrote: »

That's really the crux of it right there. Most uni's can't afford to accommodate every student who would drop a class in the first week or two, and by then it's too late for anyone who isn't waitlisted for the class.

So why would I be refunded for withdrawing from the semester completely?
    kaz67 wrote: »
    Not to pick on you, but I don't think this is a situation where the university deserves all of the blame. Seems like this situation could have been avoided if you were more knowledgeable about your school's policy in regards to dropping classes.

I thought I understood the policy, but I misread it. The wording of the policy seems so dodgy that it's easy to get confused. The way I understood it would have given me a percentage of the tuition back based on how much of the class I had already taken. However, that only applies if I withdraw from all classes in that semester. If it's anything less than every class, I get nothing.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    This leads me to believe that universities do not care about education. I've been lead to believe that all that the university cares about is receiving a paycheck. Are all universities like this? Why does everything always boil down to money? Hospitals, churches, now universities? What's next, charging money for reading the forums?

Extrapolating from a particular to a universal is a silly thing to do.

The College I attended was awesome. Maybe you just went to a shitty one.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've never had any problems, and everyone has been very nice and upfront with me.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    The day before the deadline she had not even come close to getting to it, and when pressured by us she just dismissed it as "meh, he can always take the exam again next time the course is offered".
    Around here that would be grounds for Justifiable Homicide.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I enrolled in a chemistry class this summer, and seeing that it would be too much for me, I dropped the class with no-record status. Everything seemed fine and dandy, and I assumed that I would receive at least some of my money back for the class. I was enrolled in the class for about a week and a half, so that would entitle me to some money, right?

Apparently I'm way off-base in thinking that the university would refund me any money. I called the business office of my university this morning, and I was told that I missed the 100% refund by four days. I asked if I was entitled to any money at all, and I was told that it's either all or nothing.

I dont know why you expected your money when you didn't look at what the cutoff date was. Are you insane?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've never had any problems, and everyone has been very nice and upfront with me.

pretty much same here.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The "not for profit" university is a myth.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    While attending my college I spent 3 summers out of 4 in the Financial Aid Office fighting for a least a week to get the money awarded to me. Then again, I never went into college thinking that this would be some kind of great, world altering experience. When the only place to eat on campus charges 5 dollars for a crappy slice of pizza and you have to pay a shipping and handling fee for your diploma you don't expect much.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Everyone should go to Michigan State. They basically threw money at me. They didn't hold my hand the entire way, but at least up to today, I have had essentially zero problems with the stuff you people are talking about.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Everyone should go to Georgia Tech. Then you'll be too busy crying into your vodka to worry about money.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    OK, so I'm pretty annoyed with conservative stereotypes about universities, and this is just as annoying. I'm treated pretty well by people at my university, but it's a university not high school. You're an adult, and should take responsibility for yourself. So you missed a deadline; terrible! What needs to be implemented to fix this? A PA system announcing every upcoming deadline over and over?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    OK, so I'm pretty annoyed with conservative stereotypes about universities, and this is just as annoying. I'm treated pretty well by people at my university, but it's a university not high school. You're an adult, and should take responsibility for yourself. So you missed a deadline; terrible! What needs to be implemented to fix this? A PA system announcing every upcoming deadline over and over?

Yeah.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I agree with Elkamil. Read the Calendar next time, dood.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is really just people in general.

Most people really don't give a shit about you or anyone else who does not immediately benefit them. In a government job where they aren't elected or individually responsible, you'll be lucky if they aren't -malicious- in their stupidity.

The good work ethic does not exist at present, if it ever existed. Most people do not care if they help anyone, they only care that they make their paycheck. They also tend to consider additional work a personal attack, so if you throw anything not purely routine at them, be aware that they make consider you an enemy.

That said, if you DO find someone who is helpful? Make sure they know you appreciate the hell out of'em.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Your inability to pay attention to a calendar of key dates and the rules of the university doesn't make them evil, it just makes you a bit dim. Seriously, who doesn't read the fine print when throwing around large sums of money?

If you want dodgy for-profit maneuverings to help you realise that the adult world isn't all flowers and kittens, my university is closing its entire humanities department, moving most of the taught subjects into areas like health, but entirely ditching ethics, sociology, and history. They could have easily scored the research grants necessary to keep the school afloat but decided they'd make more money by renting that subcampus to businesses.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

Yeah.
    Yeah.

Azio on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Dude, what the hell? No one, anywhere, ever is going to give you money back after a certain cut off point where a finite number of enrolled positions are concerned that can only be alotted over a fixed timescale.

You occupied a seat in that class. The university, because you missed the cut off date, is unlikely to find someone else to occupy that seat when they almost certainly could have. Why should they refund you when you have still cost them resources both in terms of opportunity cost and likely course resources that have to be pre-prepared.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    quoting again and saying 'yeah' would be ridiculous.

so instead I'll just say 'yeah'. there is a reason some people complain a lot and some not at all. and it's not their school, it's their willingness to get things done that have to get done.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Holy christ you guys.

Let me explain this whole situation to you again:

-I thought the cutoff date for a 100% refund was the same as the cutoff date for a no-record drop. This is how it is during the normal school year. I just assumed that much, and I was wrong. That's fine, whatever... I can live with not getting a 100% refund.

-I was under the impression that I would get about 75% of my money back. The policy states that if the class is over 9% complete, you do not get a full refund. However, it states that you receive 75% of the cost back if the class is 9% - 35% complete, 50% back if the class is 35% - 60% complete, and nothing if it's over 60% complete.

This part of the policy applies only if you withdraw completely from the whole semester. It isn't flat-out written, and it's pretty confusing. Many of my peers are under the impression that this refunding system applies to dropping individual classes, too, and just from hearing them talk, I assumed that's how it was. When I did my own research, I didn't catch the part about it being a complete withdrawal of classes.

So, no, I didn't just decide not to look at a fucking calendar. But anyways, the point of the whole matter is not that I missed the date, it's that the whole refunding system just seems ridiculously focused on making money for the university.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a little late but Mr. OP man I will tell you what one of my better professors told me:

A university is, above all else, a business first; it is a school second.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This is a little late but Mr. OP man I will tell you what one of my better professors told me:

A university is, above all else, a business first; it is a school second.

I've heard this before, and I'll just say that it's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Universities should be schools first. Always.

It's just like saying that a hospital is a business first, a healthcare facility second. Which sadly is probably true in most cases.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly, count yourself lucky if your university is a business first, and not a charity for its administration before all else.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Honestly, count yourself lucky if your university is a business first, and not a charity for its administration before all else.

Why should I consider myself lucky with a university is a business first and a school second?! I believe that any university is truly not for the students first is a bad university, hands down.

Buddy Lee on