As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Employee Lounge - where-in we discuss awful customers AND co-workers

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
New thread time! This is the place where we kick back, pop a beer (because this employee lounge is that awesome), and talk about the horrors of working video game retail, IT, fast food, whatever... discuss retarded customers, asshole co-workers, stupid managers, or idiot employees (for those of us who are managers).

A couple rules for the new thread:

There will be no debating of tips
We derailed the last thread with about 12 pages of tip ranting. No more, please. There is a new thread for that here.

We don't give a shit that you don't like gutted games, reservations, or Game Informer.
Many of us do, but some don't like it either. This is not the place.
Cockteasing makes baby Jesus cry... don't say "that's a long story" or the like, especially when in regards to a shitty customer. The whole story is required, damnit!

Discuss!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
Shadowfire on

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    but, cockteasing is fun.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You bastard

Also, to the one guy who never shared his story because he was in a legal battle, tell us already, Jesus

ronzo on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Thank god. Was sick of hearing about missing Wii's outback.

DarkWarrior on
  • MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Wow, this thread has really grown...

.. but you know what's worse than terrible, arrogant, rude customers? Terrible, arrogant, rude co-workers. At least the customers leave after a while, but the co-workers will always be there.

When I joined my current company they were firing and hiring a lot of people, seems like the old work force wasn't all that great and they had no problems with firing you if you didn't pull your weight.

This woman gets hired on as the executive assistant to the CFO. She was a little odd in the head, would try and impress people by speaking foreign languages with really, really bad accents, and some other weird things.

One day myself and the guy next to me were talking about how funy it is how in New York when you meet people the question of what country your family is from always comes up. This girl walks into the tail end of the discussion and starts regaling us with stories of how her ancestors were native americans and whatnot. She asks me where my family was from and my response was something like 'I don't know, straight off the mayflower or something...'

She looks at me and says 'Your ancestors murdered my ancestors' with this accusing tone in her voice. The guy next to me chimes in with 'Obviously they didn't kill enough of them.'

The look on her face was priceless. She was fired two weeks later for getting wasted in the office from the flask she kept in her desk.

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
  • BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From the middle of the epic tip derail:

So I have a Gamestop story. I was at one in Green Bay yesterday near close (to look for Settlers DS, only to find out they slipped the release date another month), and there was this asshole there insisting that Final Fantasy XIII was going to be Xbox 360 exclusive. He was keeping both employees captive arguing his point, while I was trying to get one to tell me where Settlers DS was. So my question is, are there a lot of those guys? How do you get rid of them?

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thank god. Was sick of hearing about missing Wii's outback.

Have you got any Wiis?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am still looking for a Wii......

Every day that Arcath doesn't get his Wii, an angel gets its wings.

Its fucked up and shit.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I'm a clinical engineer at our university's medical center. We're responsible for FIXING equipment that has somehow failed. It's cool because I'm studying Materials Science and Engineering, so material failure is important to know.

Unfortunately, the freaking nurses claim to not know anything about technology, so they figure that yanking the power cords of various "gizmos" by the cord itself qualifies as "it just broke". Also when we get stuff to fix, a lot of the description of problem comes to us as "it's broken." That doesn't help us at all. We also get a lot of "broken" devices sent down to us that just need the batteries replaced. Some things are difficult to get the batteries out of, but some things use AA's, and nurses should be able to do that themselves.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Materly wrote: »
    Wow, this thread has really grown...

.. but you know what's worse than terrible, arrogant, rude customers? Terrible, arrogant, rude co-workers. At least the customers leave after a while, but the co-workers will always be there.

When I joined my current company they were firing and hiring a lot of people, seems like the old work force wasn't all that great and they had no problems with firing you if you didn't pull your weight.

This woman gets hired on as the executive assistant to the CFO. She was a little odd in the head, would try and impress people by speaking foreign languages with really, really bad accents, and some other weird things.

One day myself and the guy next to me were talking about how funy it is how in New York when you meet people the question of what country your family is from always comes up. This girl walks into the tail end of the discussion and starts regaling us with stories of how her ancestors were native americans and whatnot. She asks me where my family was from and my response was something like 'I don't know, straight off the mayflower or something...'

She looks at me and says 'Your ancestors murdered my ancestors' with this accusing tone in her voice. The guy next to me chimes in with 'Obviously they didn't kill enough of them.'

The look on her face was priceless. She was fired two weeks later for getting wasted in the office from the flask she kept in her desk.
    I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

I can't stand people who say 'Your ancestors killed my ancestors, therefore I don't like you.', seriously. I don't hate the Germans because their ancestors bombed the shit out of England. That would be retarded.

Maybe if some of their elderly were laughing about bombing London, and they were there, sure, but anyone who wasn't actually involved and didn't care or know about it? That just makes no sense.

Rohaq on
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quick question concerning Game Informer for Gamestop peoplez. I was trading in a lot of games that I didn't give 2 shits about, that none of my friends wanted, and decided 'What the hell, I'll just get a subscription, I like getting magazines'. Only problem? It's been a long time, and I still have no magazine. Do I need to complain to the store that I ordered from, or to Game Informer, or what? I think something might have gone wrong, considering the guy who was working the register was obviously new and confused....

Mr Peepers on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    You bastard

Also, to the one guy who never shared his story because he was in a legal battle, tell us already, Jesus

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    So I'm a clinical engineer at our university's medical center. We're responsible for FIXING equipment that has somehow failed. It's cool because I'm studying Materials Science and Engineering, so material failure is important to know.

Unfortunately, the freaking nurses claim to not know anything about technology, so they figure that yanking the power cords of various "gizmos" by the cord itself qualifies as "it just broke". Also when we get stuff to fix, a lot of the description of problem comes to us as "it's broken." That doesn't help us at all. We also get a lot of "broken" devices sent down to us that just need the batteries replaced. Some things are difficult to get the batteries out of, but some things use AA's, and nurses should be able to do that themselves.

Point out that it isn't plugged in the outlet so it's not broken and they can do that themselves then say you have more important stuff and leave. Same for stuff with dead batteries just send it back with a note saying to change the batteries and claim you were to busy to do that but any incompetent employee should be able to do that by themselves.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Point out that it isn't plugged in the outlet so it's not broken and they can do that themselves then say you have more important stuff and leave. Same for stuff with dead batteries just send it back with a note saying to change the batteries and claim you were to busy to do that but any incompetent employee should be able to do that by themselves.

Yeah well, we're all pretty much kiss-ass people to the nurses because no one likes a pissed off nurse. It's basically like, "we replaced the batteries for you. Here you go and have a nice day!"

But we don't find out that the problem is dead batteries immediately, because by then the device is already down in the workshop and we've been performing all the other tests to find out that everything ELSE is still okay. Remember, they don't tell us "the batteries are dead". They just tell us, "it's broken".

And naturally, being engineers, the simplest solution does not come to mind immediately.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok I'm going for my second testing at my local (5min walk) Kent. First time I had to go do Naval training for a month two days after the testing since I originally didn't think I was going anywhere. At least now I'll have a job and I can actually do something in the afternoons cept play Pokémon.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So uh.. we are missing a Wii. No, it is not outback.
    We had 36 in sunday, and we sold 35, and the remaining is missing. Nobody had access to them except for the three people in r zone and the manager.

Also, a Zune is gone. All on the same weekend.

Sanders on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Sanders wrote: »
    We had 36 in sunday, and we sold 35, and the remaining is missing. Nobody had access to them except for the three people in r zone and the manager.

No security cameras?

DarkWarrior on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    Quick question concerning Game Informer for Gamestop peoplez. I was trading in a lot of games that I didn't give 2 shits about, that none of my friends wanted, and decided 'What the hell, I'll just get a subscription, I like getting magazines'. Only problem? It's been a long time, and I still have no magazine. Do I need to complain to the store that I ordered from, or to Game Informer, or what? I think something might have gone wrong, considering the guy who was working the register was obviously new and confused....

It takes six to eight weeks to get your first magazine. If you haven't gotten yours yet, call Game Informer, because all we do is forward your address to them, so if the address got typed in wrong or something, Game Informer has that database, not GameStop.

YodaTuna on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Interesting, we have two Employee Lounge threads. Which will win?

Truly it will be an epic battle for the ages.

Edit: Bah, Captain K locked the other one while I was typing.

In work related news, I found myself completely unmotivated today. I sat there, looking at Visual Studio .NET and wished my new project would code itself.

Then I went to wikipedia and read random stuff, since PA is blocked at work.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love the smell of a new Employee Lounge Thread.

SirUltimos on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I got to work today, and for the first time in at least two weeks, there's an actual job for us to do.

In the excitement, another fellow apprentice and I almost dropped a part we were carrying. We laughed and joked about it, and carried on our merry way.

Only an hour later did we realize said piece was worth at LEAST $20,000. Not so funny anymore...god damn I hate aviation sometimes.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Having the computer tell me whether or not we have something in stock can be a wonderful thing. However, when the computer is wrong about whether or not something is in stock, it is a headache for everyone in the department, to say nothing about our customers.

The worst part about it, of course, is that those times where the computer says we have something but we can't find it anywhere (or even if it's definitely not there), it will show as "In Stock" to people who use our website to check availability, and thus they make the drive, only to find out that we don't know where the phantom items in question are.

The PS3 version of NCAA Football '08 is a perfect example. We got far too few copies of the game, and some (wonderful) person decided to use our pre-order copies for web orders. So, we now have names of people who pre-ordered copies but didn't get one on a piece of paper as we're anxiously awaiting the copies so we can put this all behind us. However, we expected them the week the game came out, Thurs/Fri or so, but they didn't arrive then. And today, I look at the drop and find none in there and think to myself "Hopefully tomorrow, when I'm not here."

But then, at about 3pm or so (when I'm alone, thanks to someone being late) someone comes in and says that he came in for a copy of NCAA '08 because it showed on our website that we had some in stock. This was news to me, and I checked the system, and indeed, it said we had 18 in stock. I checked back in inventory to see if it hadn't gotten checked in, I checked through the stuff from the drop again to see if I had just missed it (unlikely since I was on the lookout for it). I even asked the Merchandising supervisor if he had any clues as to where it would be. Nothing. My long-awaited copies of PS3 NCAA '08 arrived without arriving, and we are sure to have people coming in for them until we find them---to say nothing of the people who pre-ordered and have now waited a week for something that should have been guaranteed to them.

The ironic part about all this is that our Physical Inventory results came in and we did really well. Part of what PI is supposed to do is make all of our stock counts accurate in the computer. And then on the first day, we get 18 phantom PS3 games.

I'm just glad I have tomorrow off, personally.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Re-posted because the other thread was locked:

As I said in the previous thread, my library was having its grand opening on Saturday. They had various important people stand outside before we opened and gave speeches. Us employees waited in the lobby, and when they cut the ceremonial ribbon and let people in, our branch manager had us do the Nordstrom thing where we applauded the patrons as they entered the building.

We clapped for well over 5 minutes. We were blown away by the number of people who came in. We checked out over 4,000 items in 3.5 hours. It was crazy.

SteevL on
  • seancseanc Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cycophant wrote: »
    So, I got to work today, and for the first time in at least two weeks, there's an actual job for us to do.

In the excitement, another fellow apprentice and I almost dropped a part we were carrying. We laughed and joked about it, and carried on our merry way.

Only an hour later did we realize said piece was worth at LEAST $20,000. Not so funny anymore...god damn I hate aviation sometimes.

I can relate to dropping things that are super expensive. I work in microchip manufacturing, and the chips come on wafers, 25 to a box. Each of those wafers can be worth up to $9,000 EACH to the company based on how far along in production they are. Luckily I don't suffer from butterfingers, but it is highly frowned upon by management when it happens. If you are a temp, you can pretty much kiss your job goodbye.

seanc on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sanders wrote: »

Our store is missing 21 Wii remotes. No, I don't know where the fuck they are, as I never do Wii Sundays. It's not a Toys R Us thing, but my last job had me working from about 6 am to 3 in the afternoon every single weekend for two years. I now consider Sunday my day of rest, regardless of what may be happening.

Anyway, I almost never put away Wii merchandise when we get it in, and when we do, it all goes into the first storeroom. It never moves, it never gets put out unless we're out of stock on the floor.

So, about a week ago, I get a message on the walkie talkie system for me from the girl who runs the back room. Apparently, the sapphire showed 21 remotes in the back, but we had none on the floor or in the back. Completely gone. None in the storerooms, none in overstock. Since I had been working pretty frequently in the R-Zone that week, I was blamed for the missing remotes and was told to find them, at any cost. Obviously I searched high and low for them, but came up with nothing.

Here comes some genuine TRU bullshit. Basically, my name is being associated with the missing remotes, because I searched and didn't find them, NOT because I was the one who lost them. I get reminded everytime I'm in the store that the remotes are STILL missing, and that I STILL need to find them. It's an LP issue, at first, but I don't see anyone else being interrogated about the whole thing; on the contrary, no one else seems to KNOW about the problem but me.

If this escalates any further, I may just go insane. It's a classic case of "a bunch of you fucked up, but we're just going to blame it on this guy and move on."

Seriously, fuck that. Any ideas for new places to apply for a job?

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From elsewhere:

I just used the term "Jesus effing Christ" to address my officemate. She was complaining, again, that I was 1) typing too loud, 2) Open some envelopes too loud, 3) intentionally annoying her with the new sound I picked to signify new email (a lie. Her annoyance is merely a happy fringe benefit) 4) setting my Pepsi can down too loud 5) clicking too loud with my mouse and 6) moving too much in my chair (I work on two computers).

I finally responded with "Jesus effing Christ Kristina! You made this big deal 7 weeks ago about how you were starting graduate school and older than me and yadda yadda yadda, but most of the campers I've worked with in the last two years are more mature than you are! For fark's (not edited there) grow up and learn how to work in an office environment, because one day you're going to get your ass literally or metaphorically kicked for complaining about other people doing the exact same things you do! I for one have endured your mannerisms this long without saying a word until now, and since you claim to be better than me in every right, you should be able to do the same. Unless you're just full of it."

I then turned back around to the computer, and here I am. She's silent (finally!) and really pounding her mouse with every click.

This can't possibly end well. At least my last day is the 3rd.I just used the term "Jesus effing Christ" to address my officemate. She was complaining, again, that I was 1) typing too loud, 2) Open some envelopes too loud, 3) intentionally annoying her with the new sound I picked to signify new email (a lie. Her annoyance is merely a happy fringe benefit) 4) setting my Pepsi can down too loud 5) clicking too loud with my mouse and 6) moving too much in my chair (I work on two computers).

I finally responded with "Jesus effing Christ Kristina! You made this big deal 7 weeks ago about how you were starting graduate school and older than me and yadda yadda yadda, but most of the campers I've worked with in the last two years are more mature than you are! For fark's (not edited there) grow up and learn how to work in an office environment, because one day you're going to get your ass literally or metaphorically kicked for complaining about other people doing the exact same things you do! I for one have endured your mannerisms this long without saying a word until now, and since you claim to be better than me in every right, you should be able to do the same. Unless you're just full of it."

I then turned back around to the computer, and here I am. She's silent (finally!) and really pounding her mouse with every click.

This can't possibly end well. At least my last day is the 3rd.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OK, Jimmy Two Times, you want me to get the papers, get the papers?

slurpeepoop on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Here comes some genuine TRU bullshit. Basically, my name is being associated with the missing remotes, because I searched and didn't find them, NOT because I was the one who lost them. I get reminded everytime I'm in the store that the remotes are STILL missing, and that I STILL need to find them. It's an LP issue, at first, but I don't see anyone else being interrogated about the whole thing; on the contrary, no one else seems to KNOW about the problem but me.

If this escalates any further, I may just go insane. It's a classic case of "a bunch of you fucked up, but we're just going to blame it on this guy and move on."

Seriously, fuck that. Any ideas for new places to apply for a job?

That's pretty wrong. There's a number of different things that could be at work there in terms of missing items because there are so many places where the missing items could be accounted for.

Someone higher up the ladder checked them in and they never arrived at our store (this actually happened to us once). Some accessories got returned but were never processed for return (and thus the discrepancy). A box was mislabeled and the computer thought there were a ton more in a box than there actually were. Not to mention just plain ol' theft, either internal or by customers. To blame something as complex as that on one employee is extremely crappy and downright wrong.

I mean, we had at one time 200 or so Dane Cook DVD's listed in stock in our store but we sincerely didn't have a single one in stock. Who screwed up on that one I don't know but no one "took the fall for it" because of how complex inventory systems in a store our size can be.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I'm going to say this:

PEOPLE PLEASE DO NOT TALK ON YOUR CELL PHONE WHILE IN LINE TO BUY SOMETHING. IF YOU NEED TO TALK ON THE PHONE, HANG UP WHEN IT'S YOUR TURN!

Story:

I'm standing in line to buy some lean pockets and toilet paper (what else does a college guy need?) and there about 4 people behind me, and only 2 lanes open. So this bitch in front of me talking to some other bitch named "Delilah".

It's her turn to pay for shit and leave. But no... She stays on the phone. The cashier asked how she was going to pay for it, and she seriously said: "Hold up." Then continues her phone conversation with said bitch.

6 minutes later she gets the cash out and pays the cashier. Apparently the things Don (some other person that her "friend" was talking about I suppose) was doing required her full attention, to a point where if she reached in her purse and pulled out the money: She may die.

Also:

The next person who cuts me off in traffic, while talking on the phone... I'll follow them to their house and cut their fucking tires.

Other than that I'm in a good mood. :)

urahonky on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I think I might be burned out.

I cringe every single time the phone beeps at me anymore. The good customers, they're still good, but the bad ones are just... NO.

"Hi, My Internet isn't working and Verizon said to call you?"

"Are you getting an IP Address from your NIC card?"

"Yes."

"Call them back. *Click*"

I haven't played WOW in like, 3 weeks, outside of burning off some rest XP on a L10 newbie. I haven't really done anything gaming-related in a month or so.

Bleh.

Maybe it's time to find a new job. In another month or so the School rush is going to start, and right now we're at max capacity -- when those schools reopen, we're going to be crushed under the weight.

KiTA on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I sat next to a co-worker I have yet to talk to on sunday. A short story will follow.

projectmayhem on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I always apologise if I get a call while I'm at the checkout. But I'll sure as hell pay attention to the cashier and pay for my stuff while I'm on the phone. Calling people while in the line however is kinda rude.

Blake T on
  • datn1ceguydatn1ceguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hehe. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited to go back to Gamestop ::GASP::

I just finished a stint at a hat store, Lids, and managing that sucker was a bitch. Let's just say it was a kiosk in the middle of the mall with every wall filled with hats to the front. The most expensive hats were right in front of the cashwrap, sorta like how a GS or EB would have their games behind their registers. Now imagine those games behind the registers disappearing into thin air row by row in two given weeks. Forty-six $30 hats missing in two weeks time from ONE out of the SIXTEEN walls. And that just one wall. Right smack in front of the friggin' cashwrap. How? I managed to save my sanity, call my two weeks, and hopefully land a Gamestop down the road.

And the one I started at, nonetheless. With people I remember and love to work with. ::sigh:: I'm happy to be back at Gamestop? What has happened to this world? Yeesh.

datn1ceguy on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    seanc wrote: »

I can relate to dropping things that are super expensive. I work in microchip manufacturing, and the chips come on wafers, 25 to a box. Each of those wafers can be worth up to $9,000 EACH to the company based on how far along in production they are. Luckily I don't suffer from butterfingers, but it is highly frowned upon by management when it happens. If you are a temp, you can pretty much kiss your job goodbye.

Ouch, that's bad. I'm not sure what would've happened if we had actually dropped it; probably nothing, considering it was an accident and we weren't goofing off.

Something tells me dropping a box of expensive wafers would be a bit more satisfying though. We were carrying a swashplate for a helicopter. It would've just made a loud thud, immediately drawing the attention of everyone in the hangar. But it wouldn't have exploded or anything; but it's aviation, so they would've had to scrap the part.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2007

Ouch, that's bad. I'm not sure what would've happened if we had actually dropped it; probably nothing, considering it was an accident and we weren't goofing off.

Something tells me dropping a box of expensive wafers would be a bit more satisfying though. We were carrying a swashplate for a helicopter. It would've just made a loud thud, immediately drawing the attention of everyone in the hangar. But it wouldn't have exploded or anything; but it's aviation, so they would've had to scrap the part.

I work IT for my company, and I got a request to help some guy install a new Backup box in our Secret area.

So I head up there, and help him lift this giant computer and try to mount it. It ended up slipping through my hands, and landing right on my foot. Apparently that's a good thing (even though it was bleeding pretty bad) because the computer had 8 backup drives in it, and each drive is worth upwards $10k a piece.

I don't know what they're backing up, and I really don't want to know...

urahonky on
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I work IT for my company, and I got a request to help some guy install a new Backup box in our Secret area.

So I head up there, and help him lift this giant computer and try to mount it. It ended up slipping through my hands, and landing right on my foot. Apparently that's a good thing (even though it was bleeding pretty bad) because the computer had 8 backup drives in it, and each drive is worth upwards $10k a piece.

Backing up scares me. At the law firm I work at, all of our stuff gets shipped offsite....INCLUDING ACTUAL PAPERS. We have special service that picks up and drops off the boxes of files at an attorney's (there are around 300 in my office) request. I'm scared to see what this holding facility looks like. You'd have to like paper an aweful lot.

JLM-AWP on
    edited July 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Backing up scares me. At the law firm I work at, all of our stuff gets shipped offsite....INCLUDING ACTUAL PAPERS. We have special service that picks up and drops off the boxes of files at an attorney's (there are around 300 in my office) request. I'm scared to see what this holding facility looks like. You'd have to like paper an aweful lot.

I'm pretty sure that's what hell would look like, to be honest. :)

urahonky on
  • HelfMyselpHelfMyselp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's like new car smell, only on the internet.

So, I don't believe I've ventured in to one of these threads before, and I don't know why. I work the graveyard shift (11-7) as an emergency dispatcher for a small alarm company. You know those times you stumble home drunk at 2:30AM, open your front door and have sirens blast your face off? I'm the guy who calls you up and gets your password after asking for it four times. Should you not have said password, I will send the cops there to give you a stern talkin' to! And, of course, if you don't answer at all, said cops will be crawling all over your house making damn sure that there's no funny business going down.

Yeah, it's not a glorious job, but base pay + night shift differential = yes, please! :^:

I'm here with a handful of other dispatchers -- all good people. Since we have fuck all to do when no one is setting off alarms, we are able to watch movies and TV, chill online, play games, etc. And yes, my boss actually encourages that (to an extent) because he is paranoid about someone falling asleep. I view it the same way as, say, babysitting a good kid -- 20% of the time you actually have to pay attention, while the remainder is yours to use however you wish. Then again, I never was a great babysitter, but that's for another topic. ;-)

The best part about this job is that I only have to deal with customers over the phone -- none of this face-to-face BS most of you need to deal with daily. The option to hang up the phone at anytime comes in quite handy with the rare problem customer, I'll say that much. Foul language, bad attitude, refusal to listen -- anything like that results in a *click*, occasionally with some extra swearing or screaming at the phone itself.

I've spent over 7 years here (6 part-time weekend shift, on my 2nd full-time), so I've got plenty of stories. I can also answer some questions you guys may have about alarms, the procedure we follow, etc. -- I just can't get too technical/detailed without getting my ass fired.

HelfMyselp on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh, the asshole manager, the one who drove me to put in my leave early, denied my 'new' schedule. Ignoring the fact that he doesn't have the power to deny it, I already talked to HR exec about it over a month ago, I had already changed it to something else and I only have a week and a half left, he also had to dig through her files, see it and decide he was going to go through the process of denying it and then place it in my folder. That's a lot of work just to be spiteful.

Invisible on
  • seancseanc Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Heh yea, wafers make an extremely satisfying glass breaking noise when they are dropped. Sometimes I'll be sitting at my terminal browsing internet, when I hear a faint tinkling noise... Then at that point its pretty much wait and see which tool is going to alarm due to the suddenly absent wafer it just ate.

seanc on
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HelfMyselp wrote: »
    It's like new car smell, only on the internet.

So, I don't believe I've ventured in to one of these threads before, and I don't know why. I work the graveyard shift (11-7) as an emergency dispatcher for a small alarm company. You know those times you stumble home drunk at 2:30AM, open your front door and have sirens blast your face off? I'm the guy who calls you up and gets your password after asking for it four times. Should you not have said password, I will send the cops there to give you a stern talkin' to! And, of course, if you don't answer at all, said cops will be crawling all over your house making damn sure that there's no funny business going down.

Yeah, it's not a glorious job, but base pay + night shift differential = yes, please! :^:

I'm here with a handful of other dispatchers -- all good people. Since we have fuck all to do when no one is setting off alarms, we are able to watch movies and TV, chill online, play games, etc. And yes, my boss actually encourages that (to an extent) because he is paranoid about someone falling asleep. I view it the same way as, say, babysitting a good kid -- 20% of the time you actually have to pay attention, while the remainder is yours to use however you wish. Then again, I never was a great babysitter, but that's for another topic. ;-)

The best part about this job is that I only have to deal with customers over the phone -- none of this face-to-face BS most of you need to deal with daily. The option to hang up the phone at anytime comes in quite handy with the rare problem customer, I'll say that much. Foul language, bad attitude, refusal to listen -- anything like that results in a *click*, occasionally with some extra swearing or screaming at the phone itself.

I've spent over 7 years here (6 part-time weekend shift, on my 2nd full-time), so I've got plenty of stories. I can also answer some questions you guys may have about alarms, the procedure we follow, etc. -- I just can't get too technical/detailed without getting my ass fired.

Probably the polar oposite from where I worked in a T-mobile call center <shudders> I still have nightmares.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png