As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Employee Lounge - where-in we discuss awful customers AND co-workers

• RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    This conversation was pretty funny, I'm no IT guy but still:

Mom's friend: Alan (me), my work blocked me from visiting anything but my company e-mail, they warned us a few weeks ago that productivity is down and now they blocked it completely. How can I get to google and stuff?!
    Me: Um, you can use a proxy server *I give her some links* to try to get past it, but don't you work for a bank?
    Mom's friend: Yeah, why?
    Me: Um, banks are pretty secure, they probably watch everything you do anyway, sneaking to use the internet is probably going to get you in trouble
    Mom's friend: Why?
    Me: Because it's a bank, they have a lot of money. They want you making more money and they want to make sure that money is safe, so you probably shouldn't be doing proxy servers or installing stuff.
    Mom's friend: But then what am I going to do?!?!
    Me: Um, do your work and use the internet at home?
    Mom's friend: Annoyed gasp/yaulp
    Hahahaha, fools :D

See, most companies don't mind you browsing on your downtime, but some people take the piss and ruin it for the casual browsers.

Rohaq on
  • ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I want to post about work today, but I can't manage it without doing nothung but degenerating into a long string of swears 2 sentences in.

In short: Fuck you customers who refuse to troubleshoot. I can't get your precious internet working if you refuse to help me see why it isn't working in the first place.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had to stay 3 hours late today, and I got there an hour early by accident (Schedule mix-up).
    I am wiped out and still haven't gotten to go buy Bioshock yet...
    But I've had worse days.

Local H Jay on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    so ya, I'm working on a machine that hat a mobo die. the dell tech came and replaced it today. since the user was off sick today anyway, I figure I'd clean up his machine, defrag, updates, all that kind of stuff.

I log onto the machine, and find that he has installed pretty much everything he can get his hands on onto this machine. Even fucking bitcomet. You know, our company is pretty relaxed in our IT policies. If you want to install something, just run it by IT first, if we ok it, fine you can install it. There are people with a fair amount of personal things on their machines that are sanctioned by IT.

But there are some things on this machine.....fucking idiot. Bitcomet, a dvd ripping program, a program for converting avi to DVD, ebay toolbars, mywebsearch, spyware coming out his ass. some common spyware programs from like, a year ago are sitting on this machine.

So now I get to spend half a day cleaning it up, all because this guy is being a fucknut and taking advantage of an IT department that doesn't believe in Nazi-ism to the users. Well guess what buddy, you're free reign is over!
    Shitcan the employee(ie tell the boss.) and run a date of purchase system restore, problem solved.

minigunwielder on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kind of a wash at work today.

Slow in the morning, but the boss had a meeting at 1:30. I was busy doing simple deliveries. I then get a call telling me to go pick up my boss, because he was in an accident. He drives an '06 Tundra four-door. Very nice truck. Well, he got sandwiched between a Ford Ranger who changed lanes and then hit the brakes and an F-250 that was loaded for bear with lumber. Basically, the boss tapped the bumper of the Ranger, and the F-250 rammed the back of the Tundra, pushed the frame of the Tundra forward, then hit the brakes, so the Tundra came back and hit the F-250 again. The Ranger had slight bumper damage, the F-250 had a Grill guard on it that was bent on one side, but the Tundra is looking at nearly 5k in damages. No justice in that at all.

Needless to say, he couldn't get to the meeting. What makes me sad is that the truck had no problems with it, but even after it gets repaired I know shits going to linger with it.

TexiKen on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »

Slow in the morning, but the boss had a meeting at 1:30. I was busy doing simple deliveries. I then get a call telling me to go pick up my boss, because he was in an accident. He drives an '06 Tundra four-door. Very nice truck. Well, he got sandwiched between a Ford Ranger who changed lanes and then hit the brakes and an F-250 that was loaded for bear with lumber. Basically, the boss tapped the bumper of the Ranger, and the F-250 rammed the back of the Tundra, pushed the frame of the Tundra forward, then hit the brakes, so the Tundra came back and hit the F-250 again. The Ranger had slight bumper damage, the F-250 had a Grill guard on it that was bent on one side, but the Tundra is looking at nearly 5k in damages. No justice in that at all.

Needless to say, he couldn't get to the meeting. What makes me sad is that the truck had no problems with it, but even after it gets repaired I know shits going to linger with it.

Sucks because the Ranger caused the accident but it's going to be the F250's insurance that is going to get all the blame unless a police officer actually considers the situation. Ranger probably won't have to pay a dime for his idiotic move. I hate people who cut in front of me. Fortunately the police are more lenient and listen to you when these things happen because of all the insurance fraud from it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Sucks because the Ranger caused the accident but it's going to be the F250's insurance that is going to get all the blame unless a police officer actually considers the situation. Ranger probably won't have to pay a dime for his idiotic move. I hate people who cut in front of me. Fortunately the police are more lenient and listen to you when these things happen because of all the insurance fraud from it.

Yeah, the boss got a ticket for running into the Ranger and the F-250 got a ticket for running into the Tundra. No one is screaming for a backbrace, and even thought I got there 15 minutes after the accident occurred it all looked like no one was contesting what happened, it just sucks for us because the Tundra is out of commission for a minimum of two weeks. The constable was just being a dick about it. He didn't have to write a ticket but I guess he was short on his quota for the month.

Seriously, the truck is right between "wrecked" and "totaled" as far as the insurance adjuster is concerned from what we can see. Hopefully the guy from Nationwide will be in a good mood and realize that the engine was knocked out of place, the front doors were pushed off their hinges, the transmission has to be f'ed in the a, and the tailgate is smashed up and just write it off as totaled. It's not like there is a record of accidents with the insurance policy.

TexiKen on
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    so ya, I'm working on a machine that hat a mobo die. the dell tech came and replaced it today. since the user was off sick today anyway, I figure I'd clean up his machine, defrag, updates, all that kind of stuff.

I log onto the machine, and find that he has installed pretty much everything he can get his hands on onto this machine. Even fucking bitcomet. You know, our company is pretty relaxed in our IT policies. If you want to install something, just run it by IT first, if we ok it, fine you can install it. There are people with a fair amount of personal things on their machines that are sanctioned by IT.

But there are some things on this machine.....fucking idiot. Bitcomet, a dvd ripping program, a program for converting avi to DVD, ebay toolbars, mywebsearch, spyware coming out his ass. some common spyware programs from like, a year ago are sitting on this machine.

So now I get to spend half a day cleaning it up, all because this guy is being a fucknut and taking advantage of an IT department that doesn't believe in Nazi-ism to the users. Well guess what buddy, you're free reign is over!

Time to apply the principal of least privilege.

I, for one, support IT Nazi-ism.

Are you sure you'd feel that way if you were on the receiving end of the iron fist?

I used to work for a company in *cough* IT/tech support *cough*. Myself and two other people were the team who assisted our clients via phone and on-site help. Problem was, there was a separate IT staff to support the infrastructure of our company (i.e. anyone who worked for us called them if their workstations ever went belly up).

What did this mean? Our internet access was on complete lockdown, just like everyone else in the company. They pretty much treated us like the rest of the employees, complete with hand holding and fucking babysitting, even though we were doing pretty much the same thing they were. Now, I can understand wanting to keep everything on the homefront safe and problem free, but this severely limited how we were able to do our jobs for our customers. It was pathetic.

Needless to say, I jumped ship the first chance I got.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Time to apply the principal of least privilege.

I, for one, support IT Nazi-ism.

Are you sure you'd feel that way if you were on the receiving end of the iron fist?

I used to work for a company in *cough* IT/tech support *cough*. Myself and two other people were the team who assisted our clients via phone and on-site help. Problem was, there was a separate IT staff to support the infrastructure of our company (i.e. anyone who worked for us called them if their workstations ever went belly up).

What did this mean? Our internet access was on complete lockdown, just like everyone else in the company. They pretty much treated us like the rest of the employees, complete with hand holding and fucking babysitting, even though we were doing pretty much the same thing they were. Now, I can understand wanting to keep everything on the homefront safe and problem free, but this severely limited how we were able to do our jobs for our customers. It was pathetic.

Needless to say, I jumped ship the first chance I got.
    Monkey, I work on the corporate side of that situation.
    After a few months of dealing with people who should know better, you start at the bottom with every call.
    It doesn't matter if the guy is the head of the IT department or some brain-bricked mail room clerk kept on because the company needs to fill a quota for morons. Everyone gets treated like an idiot, because 95 percent of the time that's the only thing they'll understand.
    We understand that 5 percent of the time we'll be wrong, and we'll actually be talking down to a person who does know better. But at that point we just don't care. Because if we ever assume that the guy on the other end of the phone is as smart as he believes he is we'll be wrong in that and his problem will be an unplugged PC.

see317 on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, the boss got a ticket for running into the Ranger and the F-250 got a ticket for running into the Tundra. No one is screaming for a backbrace, and even thought I got there 15 minutes after the accident occurred it all looked like no one was contesting what happened, it just sucks for us because the Tundra is out of commission for a minimum of two weeks. The constable was just being a dick about it. He didn't have to write a ticket but I guess he was short on his quota for the month.

Seriously, the truck is right between "wrecked" and "totaled" as far as the insurance adjuster is concerned from what we can see. Hopefully the guy from Nationwide will be in a good mood and realize that the engine was knocked out of place, the front doors were pushed off their hinges, the transmission has to be f'ed in the a, and the tailgate is smashed up and just write it off as totaled. It's not like there is a record of accidents with the insurance policy.

He shouldn't have gotten a ticket at all... I'd be yelling "swoop 'n' swap" all the way to court. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My cashiers told me of a guy that drove "50 gawddamn miles" to get his FIFTY CENTS returned that he was overcharged. He threw a fit about it until he got his fifty cents back. Then he had the balls to ask for $5 to pay for the gas he wasted driving all the way down here.

Oh, Mid-Westerners.

Another one from long ago about a shoplifter.

Lady in clothing sees a guy go into the dressing room with a white tshirt on and leave with a yellow collared button down thing. She calls the big guy from Lawn and Garden (lets call him Brian) and follows him out, he comes back claiming that someone stole his black shirt from the dressing room. By this point I noticed he was being led back the dressing room by Brian and I intervened. I asked him nicely to come with me to the back and we'll get this all figured out.

He didn't want any of that until Brian (I'm 6' 4", 250 lbs. and Brian is bigger than me. He also has long hair and a big beard) leaned down right in front of his face and said "Get to the back room. Now."

So we lead him back there, get the shirt back and tell him to sit down while we file a report and wait on the cops. We ask him if he has another else on him "No." Ok fine, the cops will search him for us. I leave to get a form and come back, he's dropped a load of various items on the floor for the other managers in there with him. I chuckle to myself then go to get the video footage burned to a CD. I come back and he's dropped A SECOND load of various crap, and is looking rather glum.

Finally, the officer arrives. I've seen this guy before, he's something else. Must've been military before; clean shaven, cropped hair, hands behind his back which is straightened up. Very nice and civil to us, but hell to the guy.

The first thing he does is stand the guy up and handcuff him then does a body patdown to look for other items. He eventually reaches the crotch, feeling around. The guy jerks and starts to protest. Cop tells him to stop moving around. "Well sorry man, I get jumpy when guys start grabbing my cock." Cop says "That's too big to be your cock."

The officer pushes something in the guys pants and starts moving them around, until the object falls out. It's a god damned plastic toy elephant. His only response after a second of being stunned is "What the fuck!"

Proceeds to get all his info and leads him out the door, the guy asking if he's going to jail.

Cop says "I sure as hell hope so."
    "Man why you gotta be like that I didn't do anything to you!"
    "You lied to me."
    "Everybody lies!"
    Cop stops and looks at him, then says "Contributing members of society don't."

The managers had a good chuckle about that as he was being led out. After he's in the car, we're all out there discussing it and someone asks how long he'll be in jail. I don't remember the details, but basically the cop "accidentally" wrote him up for a higher amount of $ in shoplifting then he actually had. In essence, it meant that he had to spend the entire weekend (it was friday) in jail before even being allowed bail instead of getting bail that day, all because he was a lying asshole and pissed the cop off.

Joeslop on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    During the Christmas hell at our store a couple years back, I saw a dude white as a sheet being led by the police to our back room, with a manager in tow carrying some sort of large white rectangle.

Turns out the guy had ripped open a bundle of Depends and tried to smuggle a couple pairs out by stuffing them down his jeans.

He was also wearing women's underwear stolen from a nearby department store.

DarkPrimus on
  • CylaranaCylarana Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "that's too big to be your cock"
    I laughed in real life.

Cylarana on
  • ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited August 2007
    Toy's R US interview

I arrived at about 2:00 pm, went up to the front desk and said I was here for the interview. The woman behind the desk told me to walk around and that they would call me back when they were ready. I had just started to "walk around" and woman approached me asking if I was here for the interview to and I politely said yes and joked that having all the potential employees walking around (you could obviously tell who was there too shop and who wasn't) was definitely not nerve racking.

So after talking to her ended ( about 2-3 minutes) I walked around for about 20 minutes and eventually a voice came over the intercom and asked us to come back to the break room. But where is this "break room" all mighty voice? WHERE?

After walking around for a bit I met up with that same woman from before and said I'd just follow you too it and she said I was hoping I could follow you. Great. Well eventually we all met up and all 7 of us were looking for it and then decided hey why not ask some one who works there, so we all walk up to cashier because the front desk woman had disappeared. We ask where the break room is and she points towards the back of the store so we all walk back there and can't find it for the life of us. Just as we were about to walk back a lady drops her purse and bends down to pick it up and looks to the right as she picks it up. "Hey! over there!" she says and we all look and I barely make out a door behind the large and filled to the brim racks of baby clothes.

We all head to the break room and have a seat on a nice wooden bench. I felt like I was being interrogated at first, but then the manager walks in and introduces her self and things started to get slightly better. Next we had to introduce our selves which for me was kind of hard, as I was the last person and the most nervous there for sure. I had to go up against 2 divorced women with kids who had no job, 1 woman with kids that had a husband over in Iraq and didn't have enough money to support their family and a man who had just left the military who had been to Iraq twice and Afghanistan once. Needless to say they needed that job more than me.

So, while waiting on the...wait a second what happen to the 7th guy? Some where between the walking from the front desk to the break room he had escaped! Curse him!

Anyway, so while waiting on the second manager to come in this blonde one here kept looking at me, I would catch her looking at me when other people were talking about them selves or role playing (I'll get too that in second). She was cute but had a little to much baggage (a kid and husband) for me. So I had her keeping a close eye on me and then the second manager came in and was pretty average looking woman who also looked at me a little more than I am comfortable with and told us that this would take about 2 hours.

I wanted leave right then and there but I unfortunately stuck around and we had to intro our selves again for her. Afterwards we had to listen about the service plans and credit card they sold. That took about 15-20 minutes and overall wasn't too bad just a little mind numbing. She then says we need to tell her what our favorite super hero, villain or what ever tv show person is and why.

I knew I should of left.

No one in that room could really come up with an answer. I know I didn't have one, however I knew that I needed to think up one fast. Everyones answer started with "Uhhh I didn't really have one" and I'm sure that's the honest truth but she insisted, the names power rangers and wonder woman came up and when it was my turn I said I always wanted to be spider man and swing threw the city with the wind hitting me and then being able to scale buildings and going all the way to the top just to jump down with the wind in my face and at the last moment flinging my web out and swinging so close the ground that the people would feel my breeze hitting them.

So after that was over, she brings in toys for us to sell to her in a role playing manner. Since I was at the start of the table I got to pass the toys down and I ended up with spiderman 3 for the 360. I couldn't believe it. I guess the managers thought it was kind of unfair for me to have something I oh so adored when I was a kid and being able to easily sell it. So they say, oh pass to the right once.

I got a Barbie scooter. Fuck.

That right there was practically the end of it, I was going to get up and walk out when it was my turn as I had absolutely no idea what I was going to say and was damn sure I was going to embarrass my self. Not like it's a bad thing, I just don't like it and it has made me throw up at times, there are other things that I have done but I'd rather not discuss them and I'm seeing a therapist about it so no worries.

So they go threw 1 person before they reach the military guy, he says, I just can't do this thanks anyway and bye. I hadn't noticed what he had gotten. A Fairy princess costume.

I then said "right there with ya man" and we walked out.

If this had been a full time job I might have stayed, but this was a part time job with a max of 20 hours a week and most likely getting about 12-14.

I also understand that we would have to learn how to sell those items if a person came in looking for some thing for their daughter or son but that some how seems easier than that interview.

Oh and I know my grammar is bad but just deal with it.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Is that really how tickets work, like every cop has to get at least a certain amount? I know its whats commonly believed, and it makes some sense, but I've never talked with anyone who could say for certain. Like, asked a cop or something.

Sepah on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It is more than likely an 'encouraged' amount to reach. After having recently recieved a ticket for driving a very solid 81 on a California highway with no one else there but a cop who managed to sneak up behind me and having to pay $300 to get it off my record.. fuck that. I wasn't even changing lanes or anything. Bastard.

JAEF on
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    It is more than likely an 'encouraged' amount to reach. After having recently recieved a ticket for driving a very solid 81 on a California highway with no one else there but a cop who managed to sneak up behind me and having to pay $300 to get it off my record.. fuck that. I wasn't even changing lanes or anything. Bastard.

It's more or less a system of averages. The number of tickets given out on average for a certain time frame is known, and if an officer is getting a much lower number than other officers on that stretch, he is seen as being too lenient.

Then there are the wonderful rushes, where they're sent out to get 10 speeding tickets or one drug/dui citation before they're let off. Freeways around here are so much fun when those happen.

Pjstelford on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yesterday I helped my boss give a lecture class called Internet Tips & Tricks. I have to teach it next month, which is something I am not looking forward to. When these people ask computer questions, it's very difficult to understand exactly what they mean. I can't really think of an example right now, but I'm sure it's similar (on a lesser scale) to what tech support deals with.

Also, on my way home I got pulled over by a cop who claimed I was going 65 in a 50 zone. He reduced it to 59, which cuts the fine in half, but I know that I was going 54 at the most because I was watching the speedometer the whole time. I've been very paranoid about watching my speed since I got my first ticket back in November. I think he was hoping to catch a drunk (he said something about them doing a DUI sweep that night), but if so, he was definitely going for the wrong guy. Anyway, now I'm even more paranoid about driving, which sucks because my job is 25 miles away. This has ruined my week.

SteevL on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Toys r' Us interview story made me think of another interview screw up I experienced. I was working at a major Canadian Telco on their ADSL helpdesk. At the time we were on strike/lockout and I was happily picketing (I fucking hated this job and the way they treated their employees and could understand why a union was necessary). The picket pay was enough to cover my expenses with some help from my parents. However I had a spur of the moment inspiration (I guess you could call it that) to get some part time employment and supplement my income further. I headed to the local Best Buy to apply for a tech position, you know something laughable to kill time.

This was the 3rd time I had applied for a Best Buy store here in Edmonton. Incidentally this was also the third time I was HIRED by them. However I have yet to actually work a single hour for the company. Third time is a charm, and I came VERY close to putting some time in with them.

Anyhow I was fast tracked through the interview process due to my wealth of experience. I was to be started in the middle bracket for their techs at $13/hr. It was a trifle compared to what I made at the telco, but meh. My final interview with the store manager went very smoothly, and she understood fully that there was a good chance she would be loosing me when the labour dispute was over. The paperwork was signed, and I was given my assignment. This is where things got confusing.

She told me to report to the store at 5 to 8 for my training shift. She said this so fast that it sounded like she meant 7:55 on the clock, be it AM or PM. I asked her to clarify that point, and she clearly and snidely (keep in mind she was a fast talker) said to me morning. We parted ways and I went to chat a couple co-workers from my other job that had found work there. However I was still confused at the seemingly arbitrary and overtly specific time my training was to start. I sought out the manager and very specifically confirmed with her that I was to arrive at 7:55AM the next day. She acknowledged this.

Fast forward to the next day. I begrudgingly drag myself out of bed and get ready (I'm a night owl and don't do mornings well). I drive up to the store, and there is very little sign of life. I wait around a little while, and it's getting past 8AM. Someone finally lets me into the store, and this is the point I find out the manager woman meant 5 - 8, as in my training shift was to be 5PM - 8PM. I was not amused. I smiled and left the store. Dude that let me in was some assistant manager, and he said to me "see you tonight." My response was "I doubt it." I then grabbed some much needed coffee from Second Cup (caffeine really doesn't do anything for me, it's more just a habit) and headed back to my house to enjoy the silence before my roommates woke up.

To ad insult to injury, some girl from the store I was hired for called me and asked me if I wanted to go for a second interview. I made her aware of the fact that I was already hired. I then asked her to inform the manager I would not be showing up for work there. I made up some horse shit about family emergency and I had to leave town today. I was thoroughly pissed that I had wasted time, money, and resources for some rinky-dink company who can't seem to get their fucking act together. So what did I do? I decided it was early enough and a great day to go tour some of the picketing sites I hadn't been to around the city, and take out my frustration on another rinky-dink company who couldn't seem to get their fucking act together.

What a vicious circle, eh?

Oh and to further sweeten the deal, I ran into the manager a month later and she had asked me what happened. Apparently he subordinate didn't tell her anything I had told them to tell her. She thought I just abandoned it. I apologized profusely, and made some remark about it being hard to find good help these days. The manager chuckled a hearty chuckle. Oh the woes of working at a big box store.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Decius wrote: »
    Anyhow I was fast tracked through the interview process due to my wealth of experience. I was to be started in the middle bracket for their techs at $13/hr. It was a trifle compared to what I made at the telco, but meh. My final interview with the store manager went very smoothly, and she understood fully that there was a good chance she would be loosing me when the labour dispute was over. The paperwork was signed, and I was given my assignment. This is where things got confusing.

Man, I would have killed to be paid $13/hour. They pay/paid me a pittance of $10.25/hr (a dime and nickel more than I was making at my previous job, but still peanuts in the IT world) and called the wage "competitive." When I hit the pavement due to not getting any hours (then getting an insulting 4 or 5 for the entire week when I complained), I discovered that starting salary for what I was doing was closer to $15 - 20/hr. And the managers I interviewed with could not believe I was getting paid so little, which I quickly countered with "Why do you think I'm looking?" ;-)

Right now I'm being paid $15/hr via a temp agency, so I can't imagine what the company I'm working at is paying them.

And after the complete bullshit one of the managers pulled last night, I'm so not sorry that I'm quitting next week. Long story short, this douchebag, knowing full well that both my co-worker and I have day jobs that we have to get up for in the morning, made both of us stay a full hour after we were supposed to go home to vacuum every nook and cranny of the counters, sweep three times and straighten every DVD/CD stack with a ruler. After we were done an hour later, you really couldn't tell we did anything, but he was apparently satisfied. As it was, I didn't get home until almost 11.

This was after everyone and his brother decided that right before close would be the perfect time to have their computer looked at. Once 9 pm hit, my co-worker made the mad dash to get everything shipped out and I ran around trying to get the influx of work locked away. We had a bunch of stuff to put away, only to be pulled out again in the morning, so I just locked it to the counter. Which my manager didn't like. We should have had everything shipped out by close of business, dontcherknow. And he wants the counter to look like it's never been touched by human hands.

But he didn't tell us this. Just that we weren't done. He didn't tell us to vacuum or clean. Just that our department wasn't done. And asking us why computers were still out. (The same reason as always: We're letting them run overnight.) Or if we sweeped. (Yes, I make sure to do that whenever I close.) Am I suuuuuuuuuuuuuure? All kinds of passive-agressive BS.

Now, if this was a one-time thing or an occasional flare of his anal-retentive nature, I wouldn't be as pissed. But this guy pulls this shit every single night he closes and finds every excuse to make people stay well beyond their shifts, no matter how asinine it is. And he was in rare form last night, probably because he knows we have other sources of income and no longer depend on Best Buy for our livelihoods.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
    edited August 2007
    Tigress wrote: »
    Now, if this was a one-time thing or an occasional flare of his anal-retentive nature, I wouldn't be as pissed. But this guy pulls this shit every single night he closes and finds every excuse to make people stay well beyond their shifts, no matter how asinine it is. And he was in rare form last night, probably because he knows we have other sources of income and no longer depend on Best Buy for our livelihoods.
    So tell him where to go.

You're quitting anyway, you're working the hours originally requested already, working outside of those hours, I assume unpaid, is simply not on.

Rohaq on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »
    Tigress wrote: »
    So tell him where to go.

You're quitting anyway, you're working the hours originally requested already, working outside of those hours, I assume unpaid, is simply not on.

Yes... and of course... just don't stay. Does he make you clock out beforehand? If so, that's horseshit, and as soon as you clock out, you should be leaving.

If not, make a point of how much of a waste of payroll he's causing. I mean, really, he has a budget to watch...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That Toys R' Us interview story is the funniest thing I've heard this week. Thank you, that just made my fucking day.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sepah wrote: »
    Is that really how tickets work, like every cop has to get at least a certain amount? I know its whats commonly believed, and it makes some sense, but I've never talked with anyone who could say for certain. Like, asked a cop or something.

Yes indeed, that is how it works. However, if you're ever stupid enough to ASK a cop that, you will be immediately given the biggest ticket they can possibly find reason to give you.

KiTA on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The much safer way is to have a friend whose father is a sheriff, and be around when he bitches about quotas.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This conversation was pretty funny, I'm no IT guy but still:

Mom's friend: Alan (me), my work blocked me from visiting anything but my company e-mail, they warned us a few weeks ago that productivity is down and now they blocked it completely. How can I get to google and stuff?!
    Me: Um, you can use a proxy server *I give her some links* to try to get past it, but don't you work for a bank?
    Mom's friend: Yeah, why?
    Me: Um, banks are pretty secure, they probably watch everything you do anyway, sneaking to use the internet is probably going to get you in trouble
    Mom's friend: Why?
    Me: Because it's a bank, they have a lot of money. They want you making more money and they want to make sure that money is safe, so you probably shouldn't be doing proxy servers or installing stuff.
    Mom's friend: But then what am I going to do?!?!

See, most companies don't mind you browsing on your downtime, but some people take the piss and ruin it for the casual browsers.

I think I'm online a lot more than I should be...

brandotheninjamaster on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Me too actually. Damn these forums.

urahonky on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Me three, it gets pretty boring chain feeding a scanner ;_;

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I sneak on here at work, but I'm terrified of it. If they were going to find an excuse to fire me that would probably be it.

KiTA on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Working IT can get kinda dull. So if I'm not working on something I have to wait until someone calls.

I'm kinda worried that they will block this site eventually. I used to visit the 2nd unholiest grounds in the world (Joystiq) daily at work, but one day they blocked it.

I have a feeling they'll do that to this site too... unless the sys admin actually visits this site, and doesn't want to block it lol.

urahonky on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I think I'm online a lot more than I should be...

I also work for a bank, but doing insurance claims, and we have access to the internet without restriction (as in no content filters, etc.) just because it's so damn handy sometimes when taking calls:

"What kind of carpet is it?"
    "It's not a carpet, it's sisal floor covering"
    *google*
    "I see..."

(incidentally, holy shit is that stuff expensive)

Having said that, there are some incredibly strict rules, the breaking of which will get you fired (no webmail, no social networking sites, no youtube, etc.), and you better believe that they go through the logs with a fine-tooth comb.

japan on
  • StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So yesterday the phone system for the entire store went out. No calls in or out, and no intercom or pager. This afternoon they finally get around to sending someone over to look at it and the guy finds a fried MOUSE lodged inside the powersupply for the system.

Stregone on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Stregone wrote: »
    So yesterday the phone system for the entire store went out. No calls in or out, and no intercom or pager. This afternoon they finally get around to sending someone over to look at it and the guy finds a fried MOUSE lodged inside the powersupply for the system.

LUNCH!!

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That Toys R' Us interview story is the funniest thing I've heard this week. Thank you, that just made my fucking day.

Same.
    That story also makes me realise how great my assistant manager is. Easily the friendliest laid back person person I have ever worked with, and I had to fuck him over today by leaving a 8am to start my first day of school when I was scheduled till 1pm. To be fair I have been telling HR for over two weeks now that I will be starting school soon but I will not know my schedule until the 20th of this month, so they are going to have to be flexible with me. I told her exact times on the 21st and she said "oh just tell the manager." What the fuck is her job?

Also, my interview was so damn easy. Walked in and had the interview with the assistant manager, discussed taking a background check for two minutes and had to fill out a piece of paper, and time for orientation. My interview lasted all of 5 minutes.

Sanders on
    edited August 2007
    You know what's funny? When someone sends a letter of complaint in refusing to pay and asking for a refund because we expect them to pay their bills when their service is down.

Why's the service down?

Because their router is broken, and they're currently awaiting a replacement from the manufacturer.

Yah, you still have to pay your bills, whilst you can't access your broadband, it's still there waiting for you, and your router is your own responsibility. You don't stop paying road tax just because your car's broken down. I mean, you can cancel it, but you sure as hell don't get a refund for the time your car wasn't working.

Rohaq on
  • lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok, so here's a weird one...

Has anyone heard of a retail store that doesn't take cash?

My fiance is currently managing a retail shop that only takes debit/credit.

I'm not sure what kind of insanity would cause such a policy....or if its even legal.

lessthanpi on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Its not legal in the US. I believe you have to accept all forms of legal tender (cash) but can refuse to accept a large amount of coins (paying $20 with just pennies).

Veevee on
  • NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Its not legal in the US. I believe you have to accept all forms of legal tender (cash) but can refuse to accept a large amount of coins (paying $20 with just pennies).
    What about the ability to refuse service to anyone for any reason?

I'm just curious as to how that fits into the whole "legal tender" argument.

Neelix on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Neelix wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    What about the ability to refuse service to anyone for any reason?

I'm just curious as to how that fits into the whole "legal tender" argument.

I believe federal law trumps corporate policy.

Veevee on
  • supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Refusing cash isn't legal in Canada either.

supertall on