As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Picking up a DS today, need some must-have games to match.

ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write.Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So, after a good deal of delaying, and quite a bit of travel in my future, I've decided it's time to pick up a DS. I'm thinking I'll subscribe to gamefly to play more games, but I'd like to grab one or two with the system itself.

I'm tempted by FF3 (it's the only one of the main series I've not played), and the big-brain games, but I thought a quick post might bring some ideas I might not think of.

Any thoughts?

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
PwH4Ipj.jpg
ResIpsaLoquitur on

• Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pokemon.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Advance Wars DS is an excellent game to kill time during travels.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a ton of good games, I have like 36 DS games. Noteables are Mario Bros, Phoenix Wright, Sonic Rush, Trauma Center, Meteos.

I've been having a bit of fun with the New York Times Crossword Puzzle game. So if you like crossword puzzles, there ya go.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't get FF3 unless you like grind-tacular NES-style (gameplay, not graphics) RPGs.

Definitely get New Super Mario Bros.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Mario Kart DS
    Puzzle Quest
    Trauma Center
    Meteos

These are all games I own and will never give up for any reason.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and will being incurably left-handed prove an impediment to playing DS games? I can't, for the life of me, handle a stylus with my right hand.

edit: I've never played any pokemon before, ever. How should I choose between the pokemon games?

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and will being incurably left-handed prove an impediment to playing DS games? I can't, for the life of me, handle a stylus with my right hand.

There's a zillion games for the DS that don't use the stylus at all, or "use" it, but only in a purely optional fashion. You might want to do a bit of research on particularly stylus-heavy games to be sure you can swing them left-handed, but aside from Metroid Prime: Hunters, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that will prove problematic for you. Most games that are heavily stylus-driven are entirely stylus-driven, so it won't matter which hand you're using--no need for button presses at all.

Captain K on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone know where's the cheapest place to get the Hori screen protectors online? Failing, that, what B&M stores carry them?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dscastle_1.jpg

I'd love to erase my memory of this game and start anew. A huge game, fantastic gameplay, loads of secrets and unlockables, loads of different endings and game modes (Julius mode for the win) great graphics, great music, great bosses, anime intro, etc. My first game for the DS and probably the one I'v sunk the most time into. Sonic Rush is a close second in terms of how much time I'v sunk into it so I'd reccomend that, but SR seems to be a love it or hate it sort of game here on the forums.

EDIT: You know, I'm going to erase my Julius mode save right now and play it again, I'v beaten Julius mode bout 3 times now too

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm left-handed and have only found being left-handed an obstacle while playing SimCity DS (as an aside, it's a rubbish game, avoid it).

Phoenix Wright is a great game, but has no replayability to it. Definitely a GameFly rental.

Puzzle Quest is definitely a must-get. I bought it at the same time I bought my DS and Pokemon. It turned out to be much deeper than I thought so I had set it aside while I played through Pokemon. Since I'm done with Pokemon for now, I've taken the time to really learn the ropes of Puzzle Quest and now I see jewels and skulls every time I close my eyes - generally the sign of a game addiction.

Pokemon is generally always the same, it comes down to picking which pokemon on the cover looks coolest (or is in stock).

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, screw the DS and its kiddie games and rubbish graphics. Join the future and get a PSP instead!

New Super Mario Brothers
    Tetris DS
    Mario Kart DS

all must haves.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm having a lot of fun with Lost in Blue 2 right now. Though the idea of a game where you are stranded and have to survive rubs me the right way for some reason.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Puzzle Quest, Pokemon, FF3. Those ones have gotten the most playtime on my DS.

captaink on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, screw the DS and its kiddie games and rubbish graphics. Join the future and get a PSP instead!

New Super Mario Brothers
    Tetris DS
    Mario Kart DS

all must haves.

does Tetris DS online competition? That would clinch it for me.

I'm only disappointed that I'm not more patient and can't nab a non-US color. Black or white will be fine, indecisive though I am, but it would be neat to get a color most people haven't seen. Ah well.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tetris DS does have online competition. I have some online friends I used to play with on a pc version of Tetris online, I just got an im demanding that I give them my Tetris DS code so we can get the gang back together.

Kind of like the Musketeers but no girly, indecisive kings to protect.

There's also a new color coming out next month - http://kotaku.com/gaming/cherry-ripe/new-two+tone-ds-for-the-us-281200.php

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're into puzzles at all (even if you're not, 'cause I ain't), check out Picross DS. That game has an insane amount of content that just doesn't get old.

Hotel Dusk is also great. Stunningly beautiful, great writing, very competent old-schoolish first person adventure game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New Super Mario Bros
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Meteos
    Advance Wars DS
    Planet Puzzle League
    Kirby Canvas Curse
    Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
    Tetris DS
    Trauma Center
    Yoshi's Island DS
    Megaman ZX
    Brain Age
    Phoenix Wright
    Konami Classics Arcade Series

slash000 on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elite Beat Agents.

Quite possibly the funnest game on the entire system.

Trauma Center as well, though it's sort of hard to find. And it requires either a minor sense of masochism, or a second brain.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nineteen posts and two mentions of EBA without a nod to Ouendan? For shame, Penny Arcade.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    RainZRainZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mmmm my lovely gf and i both recently got Ds's *2nd one for me..* I would have to say:
    Electroplankton
    Mario kart
    EBA
    Meteos

All get my vote..
    There are a ton of good games i still need and am getting asap though soooo...

RainZ on
    RainZ+Aus.png
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Animal Crossing. Let's face it, it's good.

Ah shit, Carl. I forgot to say Rocket Slime. Ah shit.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Nineteen posts and two mentions of EBA without a nod to Ouendan? For shame, Penny Arcade.

No thanks, I like to be able to read the text in my games without learning another language.

That said, EBA gets a gigantic thumbs up.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Knowing the language is probably the least important part of Ouendan.

Some might say it's actually a plus.

But EBA is a superior game, and readily accessible. If you're planning to buy a DS and games at the same time, you would be doing yourself a disservice in leaving the store without Elite Beat Agents.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zampano wrote: »
    Knowing the language is probably the least important part of Ouendan.

Some might say it's actually a plus.

But EBA is a superior game, and readily accessible. If you're planning to buy a DS and games at the same time, you would be doing yourself a disservice in leaving the store without Elite Beat Agents.

Hells yes. I would also argue that not knowing the language is kind of a plus, given it lets you assemble your own dialogue, even though it's horribly obvious as to what's going on.

The music's surprisingly not bad either, though yes, EBA is a better production all around.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

edit: I've never played any pokémon before, ever. How should I choose between the pokémon games?

Stylus shouldn't be a problem unless the game is shittily built, in which case you don't want tit anyway. Even those games which do have a definite handedness to the controls will have the option of configuring for lefties, like Metroid Prime: Hunters does.

For Pokémon, look here and decide which of those pokes you simply can't do without then pick the version that has the most of them. Other than that, the story and such is largely identical (opponents might be a few steps to the left, or they could be wearing a different shirt, that sort of thing...).

Actually, no-one has mentioned Metroid Prime Pinball yet, so I will; awesome pinball game and it comes with the rumble pack too. But don't get it if you don't actually like pinball as that's really all there is to it. Literally, the game goes start, select table, play. Does have local multi-player though.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone know where's the cheapest place to get the Hori screen protectors online? Failing, that, what B&M stores carry them?

They never brought the DS Lite screen protectors state side. You have to import them. GameStop is now carrying the official Nintendo screen protectors that they use on their demo units. Be wary though, you only get one cover, not one for each screen. They work well though.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tetris DS*
    Planet Puzzle League* (aka Tetris Attack)
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Meteos
    Mario Kart DS*
    Phoenix Wright (start with the first one)
    Pokemon* (Diamond seems to be the popular one, so get Pearl if you like being in the minority)
    Etrian Odyssey (no mention yet? shame!)
    Jump Ultimate Stars* (need to import, closest thing to Smash Bros. on the DS)
    Metroid Prime: Hunters* (takes getting used to)

Games I *'ed are WiFi enabled. I highly recommend at least reading up on Etrian Odyssey. It's a fantastic (and difficult) game that I suspect will be a bitch to find after a while. JUS is a bit more expensive since it's imported, but it is oh so amazing. It's like Smash Bros., but with Shonen Jump characters. It also has a few features like character improvement and support characters that Smash doesn't have. Most impressive though is that it proves the SSB design can work extremely well on the DS.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd recommend Metroid Prime Hunters, but only if you enjoy games like Quake 3 or Unreal tournament.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the games ive logged the most hours on are Etrian Odyssey, Meteos, Puzzle Quest, Elite Beat Agents and Advance Wars DS. i was at one point or another heinously addicted to each of those games, and would strongly recommend them all. not a complete list of must haves by any stretch, just a starting point really.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

They never brought the DS Lite screen protectors state side. You have to import them. GameStop is now carrying the official Nintendo screen protectors that they use on their demo units. Be wary though, you only get one cover, not one for each screen. They work well though.

What do the official Nintendo ones look like, package-wise?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not one single game has been a problem for me, and I'm left handed with a large library of DS games, including Trauma Center, Metroid Prime, and Meteos (my super favourite). Lefties have no worries when it comes to the DS.
    If you can find Yoshi's Touch & Go cheap, go for that, it's such a fun little arcade game.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ultimate Jump Stars (import, think smash brothers + anime)
    Mario Kart DS
    Animal Crossing

Those are my top 3 games for the DS. A fighting, racing, and sim game. What more could you want?

Well, I mean there are a lot of other great DS games. I just think those are the top 3 you could get.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Come on people, say it with me

ADVANCE WARS DS

malerik on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Advance Wars DS.
    Pokemon.
    Phoenix Wright.
    Elite Beat Agents.
    Mario Kart.

For me, those are the essential 5 that I would recommend to ANYONE. Many, many other great games, but those are ones that I think 99% of people will love. Phoenix Wright may not have any replayability, but it took me bloomin' ages to work through the 5 cases so who cares. EBA is like dipping your brain in joy, Mario Kart is the best version so far, as is Pokemon. Advance Wars is the best turn based strategy game of all time, I just finished the campaign and I'm onto the hard campaign. Still got dozens of single matches to burn through as well, then I can make my own maps? I'll be playing that bad boy for years.

Don't listen to the poster that said Electroplankton, which is shite. I got that for zero money, and I'm still annoyed at ever having touched it.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, Electroplankton isn't a game, so if you were expecting one from EP, then yeah it is a bunch of junk. On the other hand, if you like neato musical gadgets, Electroplankton is a fantastic example; but you will have to assign your own value to that as with everything else.

In the vein of random other software for the DS, you can get all sorts of clones (not ROMs, never ROMs) of things like Lemmings and Doom from the home-brew scene (I think there's a thread on it around here somewhere) as well as a few other neat things to do with your DS. Like turn it into a PDA of sorts, or an mp3 player and so on.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Take one electroplankton, add small child, simmer for a few minutes.

Congratulations you just made a masterpiece of music!

Seriously, small kids LOVE that thing. I have to admit I am quite partial to it myself. The one with the leaf that fires tadpoles is pretty much the main draw, but theres something oddly soothing about all of it, especially the rings one

malerik on