As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoX]Help With Costumes

KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
So after some initial thought of making a Robotics/Traps MM villian type character, I booted up CoH only to find I didn't know what to make him look like. I had a basic idea of his background (Mad Professor who started experimenting with robotic parts/pieces, exchanging parts of his own body for manufactured limbs, etc.) After about 2 hours of experimental costumes (yeah, I suck) I decided to give up on trying. I was kind of going for something like this, except more human looking.
cov-b-05alpha.jpg

So for everyone reading this, any thoughts/suggestions? I asked in the PA channel earlier and everyone seemed to agree on some sort of robot with a top hat and monocle.

Also, use this thread to post up some experimental costumes that you'd like some guidance on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
XBL
Kajusta on

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Personally if thats what you came up with, use it. That looks friggin' awesome in my opinion.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nope, not something I came up with. It was just an example, really. I was having a whole lot of trouble with the concept of this character, he's really supposed to still look human, but choices pieces of his person are replaced. I couldn't seem to find the right balance of Human and Robo, so I just got frustrated. So I turn to the PA community for some ideas ;)

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm. Well, you can make it so that only one of the arms is robotic. The guy in the pic looks pretty big too. Making him smaller might make him appear more human. Just a few thoughts...

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kajusta wrote: »
    So for everyone reading this, any thoughts/suggestions? I asked in the PA channel earlier and everyone seemed to agree on some sort of robot with a top hat and monocle.

Ha!
    Monocle and top hat is the suggestion for everything.

I'll provide some constructive ideas as soon as I come up with a few.
    Oh, human face with the "Kano" style metal faceplate might be good. That way his face remains human but has metal on it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just stay away from the typical stuff. You just need to log into Atlas Park and check out the 9 billion robot clones.

Use stuff that nobody else does and come up with creative combinations. Maybe use something that wasn't intended to look like something but does.

For example, I have a character who wears an orange gas mask because at a distance it looks like a duck bill, and the character is supposed to be a bird. Most people get a kick out of that type of stuff.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just a few ideas with more of a human "just thrown together" feel.

testiv5.jpg

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd love some help designing Thunder Squadron's new suit.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nice work there, Sponge. The brain says "I'm human", while the rest says "Sort of".

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    I'd love some help designing Thunder Squadron's new suit.

Throw up what you've got now and some basic things you're looking for. I <3 designing costumes.

Nice work there, Sponge. The brain says "I'm human", while the rest says "Sort of".

Not sure if Kaju is looking for something more polished, the rest of the body is rather ramshackle, but I think the head works out pretty well.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »

Not sure if Kaju is looking for something more polished, the rest of the body is rather ramshackle, but I think the head works out pretty well.

Yeah, very Borg-esque.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was more or less looking for something less 'borgish'

I was just kind of messing around earlier, and came up with this: arghli4.png

I thought it looked pretty cool, but it still feels incomplete for some reason. Any thoughts?

edit: if I do get around to making the character, maybe he can use the extra costume slots throughout his life to further his bio/technological advancements so he'll end up looking sort of what Sponge posted.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have a hard time doing screens on my laptop, but I'll work on it.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think it looks a little bare because he's so skinny. I reckon if you bulk up his physique or give him some different shoulders (Gladiator would look pretty good with the robotic arm I think, or perhaps spiked band/spike pauldron) would give him some extra definition around the chest.
    testaq9.jpg

For example.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I like what you've got there, Kajusta. I think the feeling of missing something has to do with the lack of a Lab Coat. Only problem is then you can't have the robotic arms.

As for Wiggin I tossed together a design for ya. I have no idea what your current guy looks like so I went with the default height but changed around the other sliders, the stuff that can be changed at Icon.

thundersquadron00ve5.jpg

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So seeing as how the last post in this thread was a week ago, thought I'd post up a character I just made.

aeonoverdrivequ0.png

Aeon Overdrive. Basically a Mutant that finds himself without an arm and an eye (gets his arm replaced, obviously) who discovers that combined with the super strength from his mutation, can manipulate the electricity his arm uses to function. Brute SS/Elec

I plan on using the cool costume method of "aging" this character. Like, upgrades to his arm over time, different battle wounds, etc.

Edit: Any thoughts/suggestions for the costume and or future costumes welcome ;)

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wish I had shots of my MM saved. He had the perfect zombie-cyborg look going.

Basically, go with the one full robot arm upper body, and the zombie texture. Use one consistent skin for the legs, boots and arm (I think I used cyberpunk, if that's what it's called.) The mechanical bits were black/grey.

Then do the single monocle eyepiece, but make the eye red. Use whatever face seems appealing; I went with bald, and IIRC the "scarred" faced texture.

I did some more detail work, but that's the gist of it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    lolprotomantj1.png

I give to you my 2 minute take on Protoman!

edit: Supposed to look like this:

ProtoMan3.gif

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Make the blue lighter :o

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Helmet needs to have the colors flipped.
    It was red with a white accent.
    EDIT And the suit was gray.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Arthil wrote: »

There's bright light shining on Protoman in that picture.

This is my HARM corrupter, he's an outcast(though I may not stick with it, they're awfully plain looking).

outcast2ya7.jpg

Any recommendations?

I know I'd need to change that chest emblem to white to be a snow flake.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do like the hellions did and make him an outcast but with an elite boss like costume..meaning anything you want but just sticking with a color theme really.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »

There's bright light shining on Protoman in that picture.

This is my HARM corrupter, he's an outcast(though I may not stick with it, they're awfully plain looking).

outcast2ya7.jpg

Any recommendations?

I know I'd need to change that chest emblem to white to be a snow flake.

Do any of the Outcasts have weird skin colors? I thought they all had normal human fleshy-tones.

The flesh-colored gloves on the blue skin are weird.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cold and Elec ones are blue, Earths are brown/gray.

And yea, flesh-colored gloves look creepy. Also, he's too skinny to pull off that 5 o'clock shadow.

Edit: Just way too skinny in general. Did you turn his waist/hips all the way to the left or something?

Scooter on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

And yea, flesh-colored gloves look creepy. Also, he's too skinny to pull off that 5 o'clock shadow.

Edit: Just way too skinny in general. Did you turn his waist/hips all the way to the left or something?

Sliders All The Way To The Left is for girls only!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I made him average, because all the outcast pictures I looked at, seemed pretty average.

But yeah, strange that average puts sliders all the way to the left.

Edit: And I would have given him a costume, with blue skin color, except even the pictures of Outcast bosses wear normal clothing. But if you guys think it fits the outcast theme still, I'll definitely go for a real costume.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Frostfire.jpg

That's Frostfire, that's as special as they get.

Scooter on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I'm having trouble with my most played character. It at first was just rolled to see how I liked him (Fire/Ice blaster, tech origin) thinking I wouldn't like him I didn't care too much what he looked like

Kirab.jpg

Then I decided to switch a few things around... and got this

Kirab2.jpg

but pretty much I think I am just unhappy with the whole robot thing. And have no idea what to make him look like, so any ideas are welcome. His name is Kirab, which is the name of my Undead Ice mage in WoW, so I may go the zombie route, or may not. But I really have no idea. And while his origin is Tech, that doesn't really mean shit to me as I just pick at random for all my characters anyway.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    EWom wrote: »
    So I'm having trouble with my most played character. It at first was just rolled to see how I liked him (Fire/Ice blaster, tech origin) thinking I wouldn't like him I didn't care too much what he looked like

Kirab.jpg

Then I decided to switch a few things around... and got this

Kirab2.jpg

but pretty much I think I am just unhappy with the whole robot thing. And have no idea what to make him look like, so any ideas are welcome. His name is Kirab, which is the name of my Undead Ice mage in WoW, so I may go the zombie route, or may not. But I really have no idea. And while his origin is Tech, that doesn't really mean shit to me as I just pick at random for all my characters anyway.

I rather like both of those, for the most part. But I think the mech feet are too much, especially on non-huge characters, and "goggles-over-tech-helmet = robot" is a cliche. The suggestion that popped to mind when you mentioned zombies is taking the second costume, changing the feet to something that matches the legs/body more closely, and then ditching the helmet for a zombie-faced head. IE, zombie in a robot suit. Which is potentially awesome.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Those aren't goggles, technically. They're a helmet detail.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok I have no idea what this really is, but it kinda came from your suggestion :

Kirab3.jpg

Zombie/pirate with robotic arms to hold the Ice Sword as well as shoots the fire. And apparently part ghost too cause he flies. :)

I'm semi happy with him. I used banded leather for the chest with lt grey and dark purple, as well as for the offhand. I was gonna do pirate hook but that seemed over the top. I'm still completely lost on the shoulder pads.

The legs are now shredded pants with zombie feet and light green camo, for the rotting moldy look.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Goddammit, I came up with Outcasts first.
    Apparently, I'm a trendsetter.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Just a question of curiousity, how many people make a point of matching up their costume colors to their powers? On my new elec/eng blaster, someone in AP appeared shocked that I'd gone with pink/purple/black instead of white/blue (they were a green empath, btw). Obviously I don't care what someone in AP thinks, but I was just wondering how big a factor that is for you guys.

I suppose I do it from time to time, but most of the time I don't even think about it, or it's more due to the nature of the concept (my stone tank Nordic looks like a rock because, well, he's a rocky golem).

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Goddammit, I came up with Outcasts first.
    Apparently, I'm a trendsetter.

I went with outcast, because at the time, Scooter or Accault listed them as a villain type that had not been used in HARM, so, nyah.

Septus on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just a question of curiousity, how many people make a point of matching up their costume colors to their powers? On my new elec/eng blaster, someone in AP appeared shocked that I'd gone with pink/purple/black instead of white/blue (they were a green empath, btw). Obviously I don't care what someone in AP thinks, but I was just wondering how big a factor that is for you guys.

I suppose I do it from time to time, but most of the time I don't even think about it, or it's more due to the nature of the concept (my stone tank Nordic looks like a rock because, well, he's a rocky golem).

I match colors to powers about 50% of the time. I have a Blue & white Fire/Mace tanker, and a Red/White Fire/Axe tanker, so... go figure.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Depends, too on the character. My Stone Tanker, yeah- totally kitted him out in brown. Then again, the guy wears a T-shirt with his picture on it.

My MA/INV scrapper? X-men-ish blue/yellow.

God I miss this game.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Just a question of curiousity, how many people make a point of matching up their costume colors to their powers?

I do it 98% of the time. My brain screams in repulsion at some of the costumes I see when people start to use their powers. A red costume on a Regen? Ugh. A bright blue costume for a Fire tanker? Punch that man. Ghostalker? The green elec aura throws me over the edge of sanity. :P

I really do want to shake people who's power colors clash with their costume. It is one thing to be black and red shooting blue and white balls, it is another thing entirely to be wearing a Santa costume with Regeneration auras on.

Other than Sonic Squadron all of my guys at least have a highlight color that matches up to one of their power sets. The only reason Sonic doesn't is because the defender graphics got changed from white to orange.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I pretty much never try to match them, I don't see the need. Heck, it seems that very few heroes in comics have costume colors that match what they do.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    every character in comics I can think of off the top of my head at least has a highlight color in their design that relates to the color of their power. Cyclops' visor, Spawn's eyes, Gambits rib area, Silver Surfer's body. ;)
    The only ones I can think of that don't are Jean Grey, but her powers aren't always conveyed as being pink, and Iron Man...though his repulsers sometimes have a hint of yellow and his boot rockets obviously work.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, comic characters aren't as flashy either. Wolverine doesn't glow green, Juggernaut doesn't sparkle, and superstrength doesn't glow yellow.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wolverine's has nothing to do with his claws or regeneration, Storm's was black with gold trim, I'd say that doesn't match, Silver Surfer doesn't emit any kind of silver energy, I don't think Spider-woman has any pink on her, and the Human Torch's outfit was blue right?

I think many of them do have small portions of their outfit that match(Psylocke has a tiny little belt that matches), and many have powers with no associated color.

Septus on