As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reboot to be made into a movie trilogy.

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
By Carolyn Giardina
http://www.reuters.com/article/filmN...29158520070723

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "ReBoot," one of the earliest computer-animated episodic TV series, will be redeveloped as a trilogy of feature-length films by Rainmaker Animation.

Originally produced in 1994, the series centered on life within a computer, where good forces fought invading viruses and videogames were viewed from within.

"ReBoot" was created by MainFrame Entertainment, which was acquired by and renamed Rainmaker in 2006. The show aired for several seasons on ABC, YTV and Cartoon Network.

"The idea is to relaunch the brand in a new way," said Rainmaker Animation executive vice president Paul Gertz, who will oversee the project.

To do this, Rainmaker has entered into a strategic alliance with Zeros 2 Heroes, a Web site set to launch Monday (July 23) to provide a social network for comic book fans.

Five undiscovered writers chosen by Rainmaker were selected to work with the animation studio's production teams to prepare a pitch for the new "ReBoot" story line. These will be posted on the Zeros 2 Heroes site Thursday (July 26), the opening day of San Diego Comic-Con International. Those who visit the site will be able to work with each production team to help refine the ideas for "ReBoot" and later vote and select a favorite pitch. The brainstorming environment is what the site calls "Think Ups."

A Web-based comic, based on the selected story, will be published this year. Production on the features will commence at that time.

"'ReBoot's' legions of fans have been incredibly loyal and continue to keep the property alive on dozens of fan sites," Gertz said. "We're very enthusiastic about how we're reconceiving this classic series by creating an innovative way for those fans -- who were kids when the series started -- to use new technology to help guide us."

Zeros 2 Heroes president Matt Toner sees the Internet as a democratizing medium. "It takes away gatekeepers," he said. "We want to connect the fans with the producers ... and let them determine what the next hits will be. When it comes to long-standing genre entertainment properties, the fans are the real experts."

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was pretty happy to read the title of this threat, but that sounds absolutely horrible.

"Renamed Rainmaker", "relaunch the brand in a new way", "Five undiscovered writers"

I... I just can't read the whole post.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, you can't make Reboot without that voice actor whose name I suddenly can't recall.

Vincent Grayson on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Uh, that link's broken. This is the link
    I doubt that the movie would do the show justice. :/

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How did that series end again?

I remember watching some episodes where like a black goo was taking everything over including the major villians. Was that the end?

UnKnown Soldier on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I remember watching some episodes where like a black goo was taking everything over including the major villians. Was that the end?

I either never saw the end, or I don't really think there was any resolution. I thought it got canceled right before the last season, I could be wrong. I do recall Bob becoming extremely badass though. So is this like the whole series redone, or does it take place after the previous series?

Edit: Wikipedia seems to agree with me. The last season ended on a cliffhanger and the show got axed.

YodaTuna on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, you can't make Reboot without that voice actor whose name I suddenly can't recall.

The dude who voiced Megabyte? Yeah, that dude ruled. Megabyte made the show.

Evil Multifarious on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tony Jay

:(

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Tony Jay was the voice of Megabyte, and if the movie picked up where the series left off...it be a problem because:
    Megabyte had revealed himself to be a trojan horse virus (in the series, a shapeshifter basically) and had taken over a key part of Mainframe,

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Tony Jay was the voice of Megabyte, and if the movie picked up where the series left off...it be a problem because:
    Megabyte had revealed himself to be a trojan horse virus (in the series, a shapeshifter basically) and had taken over a key part of Mainframe,

He will have changed form and thus would be voiced by a different VA. Unfortunately.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    an_alt wrote: »
    I was pretty happy to read the title of this threat, but that sounds absolutely horrible.

"Renamed Rainmaker", "relaunch the brand in a new way", "Five undiscovered writers"

I think it's saying that the company that produced ReBoot was renamed "Rainmaker". Throughout the entire article, "Rainmaker" is clearly referring to a business, not the show itself.

Andrew_Jay on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »

I think it's saying that the company that produced ReBoot was renamed "Rainmaker". Throughout the entire article, "Rainmaker" is clearly referring to a business, not the show itself.

You are right, my good man, and I am wrong. Now about the other two points...

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The last 4 episodes of ReBoot were carp. They should've ended the series after Daemon was defeated, it would've been the perfect end. That said, I'm interested to see what they'll be doing with this, if it starts the series over or picks up from the cliffhanger.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Tony Jay

Man, I didn't know Tony Jay had died until I just looked him up on wikipedia.

This has ruined my day.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh shit, Reboot was awesome. Is it out on DVD?

The Cheese on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, they should have ended it with that nice little song and dance number.

moniker on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    Tony Jay

Man, I didn't know Tony Jay had died until I just looked him up on wikipedia.

This has ruined my day.

His death really drove home the notion that we'd never see a full resolution to the Legacy of Kain series.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ...I'm going to be bothered by this every minute of every day till I can know for sure whether or not it's good.

Torso Boy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Cheese wrote: »
    Oh shit, Reboot was awesome. Is it out on DVD?

Yeah, but they've been out of print for years. You're gonna have to spend hundreds of dollars to get them all.

DarkPrimus on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Huh, just as there were a couple of threads talking about how planning a trilogy in advance is retarded.

I see they can't actually afford writers.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it mentioned which arcs will be the focus of each film?

Glyph on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glyph wrote: »

Its mentioned that on thursday we can give the writers input into their ideas, and then vote on the best one. Until then, we will know nothing.

Veevee on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GOLDEN RULE OF MOVIES BASED ON GEEK STUFF:

Faithful to source material or GTFO.

I don't see any signs of this movie adhering to the Golden Rule.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Glyph wrote: »

Its mentioned that on thursday we can give the writers input into their ideas, and then vote on the best one. Until then, we will know nothing.

Democracy NEVER works in the hands of the public. Preplanned trilogy = unavoidable fail.

BenGPT on
  • JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Do you think they are going to update the graphic quality of the models and environment, because I don't think I would be able to stand it if Reboot went from this:
    reboot.jpg

to something like-this-but-dear-god-not-for-real
    reboot_tinintheair.jpg

Jawa on
  • HypnosHypnos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I always figured Reboot just ended with the world being abruptly formatted and everyone killed.

If they make a new Reboot they should just make it in a totally different computer and rewrite the world's mechanics a bit so it actually makes a bit more sense. The idea that you basically fuck up your computer by playing and winning games was stupid.

But I guess it was cool with the kids

Hypnos on
    -Hypnos
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ahahahaha, what the hell is that picture from?

DarkPrimus on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hypnos wrote: »
    I always figured Reboot just ended with the world being abruptly formatted and everyone killed.

If they make a new Reboot they should just make it in a totally different computer and rewrite the world's mechanics a bit so it actually makes a bit more sense. The idea that you basically fuck up your computer by playing and winning games was stupid.

But I guess it was cool with the kids
    I always figured it was the user deleting the game after they beat it.

electricitylikesme on
  • JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ahahahaha, what the hell is that picture from?

I wish I knew, I just googled Reboot Cosplay and found that

Jawa on
  • TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Here's a synopsis.
    A web creature infected Hexadecimal and Megabyte, mutating the latter into Gigabyte. It's revealed that the villians are brother and sister, unintentionally created by Dot and Enzo's father. A villian named Kilobyte mutated into Gigabyte and escaped to Mainframe right as their father was performing an experiment, which split Gigabyte into the two villians. The experiment turned their father into a Null, which Megabyte captured and called Nibbles.

Eventually, Gigabyte is defeated and the web creature creates a tear to escape back into the Web. This, in turn, allows all sorts of nasty Web creatures to invade Mainframe. All the characters form a temporary alliance to save Mainframe and beat the web creatures back. During this time, Bob makes Enzo a Guardian. Before they can close the portal, Megabyte and Hexadecimal betray the good guys by breaking Bob's Keytool and launching him into the Web.

As the only Guardian left, the task of protecting Mainframe falls to Enzo, who finds the task overwhelming. However, he and Dot are able to lock the villians away behind a firewall. However, the relief is short-lived because the unthinkable happens: Enzo gets killed in a fighting game. Right before the final blow, he, AndrAIa and Frisket convert themselves into game sprites to avoid deletion.

For the next few systems, they hop around from system to system via games to find their way back to Mainframe. The game-hopping accelerates their aging to make them young adults. They find a system with portals to other systems, join up with Captain Capacitor and Ray Tracer to surf the Web and find their way home. Along the way, they find Bob, who has joined up with Web Riders in hopes of finding his way back as well. The Keytool that Enzo still carries with him combines with Bob, giving him its powers. They return to Mainframe to find that Megabyte has broken free of the firewall and has Mainframe under his control.

The good guys reunited, they all band together to confront the villians. Thanks to all the abuse and experiments Megabyte has heaped upon her, Hexadecimal is becoming increasingly more insane. But Bob is able to heal her of all the damage and earns her unending devotion. Bob and Megabyte have an epic fight. Megabyte is defeated and tries to take Mainframe with him. Mouse sends Megabyte into the Web before he can. However, Megabyte's damage is irreversable and the system is slowly dying.

The only options they have is fight to delay the inevitable or just let the system crash and hope that the User will do a system restore from the last backup. They watch as a game cube descends, which crashes the system totally. The User fulfills their hopes, restores the system and Mainframe is a good as ever.

The end is followed by two movies. The first focuses on a new villian called Daemon, who has infected nearly all the Web and is briefly alluded to during the last season of the series. She invades Mainframe and uses Bob to finish her task, then promptly attempts to make the entire Web self-destruct. Hexadecimal uses the core to power herself up to fight Daemon, but she is unable to stop her before the self-destruct program starts. The only option is send out a counter-program to stop it, but they need a virus to spread it. It also means total fragmentation, which is just as good as deletion. Out of love for Bob, Hexadecimal volunteers to have the virus loaded into her and spread it out over the Web.

The second features a second Bob popping up into Mainframe, right after "Glitch-Bob" proposes to Dot. During most of the movie, there is speculation as to who the "real" Bob is. "Glitch-Bob" goes to the SuperComputer to attempt to remove the Keytool from himself to prove he is the real one, but the process puts him in a coma. Dot decides to marry the other Bob. At the alter, "Glitch-Bob" recovers and confronts the other Bob, who reveals himself to be a mutated, more powerful Megabyte, who now has alias and Trojan horse abilities. Now he can shapeshift, create clones of himself, and infect indiscriminately. The movie ends with him controlling the Principal Office and announcing that he is no longer interested in ruling Mainframe. Instead, he just wants to destroy everything and everyone...

*blink, blink* O_o

Damn... And that was all from memory. I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed.

I'm kind of disappointed that the series ended in a cliffhanger. The "My Two Bobs" movie wasn't necessary in my opinion, but now I want to see everything tied up in a nice pretty bow in some kind of fifth season. Hopefully, this project they want to work on won't suck and will pick up where the last movie left off.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    ...I'm going to be bothered by this every minute of every day till I can know for sure whether or not it's good.

Damn I loved this show. It was great. The little penguins wandering around. Hah. I didn't even get that joke until years after first seeing the series. What a great show though. Well now I miss reboot. Thank you very much.

Rchanen on
  • AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys, don't worry, this is still Mainframe, technically.

If you go to www.rainmaker.com, and then click "Animation", you'll be taken to www.mainframe.ca, and in a little box at the bottom, it says, "Rainmaker acquires Mainframe to create Canada's largest animation and visual effects company. ..."

So I have high hopes that this'll be just like the old days.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tigress wrote: »

Here's a synopsis.
    A web creature infected Hexadecimal and Megabyte, mutating the latter into Gigabyte. It's revealed that the villians are brother and sister, unintentionally created by Dot and Enzo's father. A villian named Kilobyte mutated into Gigabyte and escaped to Mainframe right as their father was performing an experiment, which split Gigabyte into the two villians. The experiment turned their father into a Null, which Megabyte captured and called Nibbles.

Eventually, Gigabyte is defeated and the web creature creates a tear to escape back into the Web. This, in turn, allows all sorts of nasty Web creatures to invade Mainframe. All the characters form a temporary alliance to save Mainframe and beat the web creatures back. During this time, Bob makes Enzo a Guardian. Before they can close the portal, Megabyte and Hexadecimal betray the good guys by breaking Bob's Keytool and launching him into the Web.

As the only Guardian left, the task of protecting Mainframe falls to Enzo, who finds the task overwhelming. However, he and Dot are able to lock the villians away behind a firewall. However, the relief is short-lived because the unthinkable happens: Enzo gets killed in a fighting game. Right before the final blow, he, AndrAIa and Frisket convert themselves into game sprites to avoid deletion.

For the next few systems, they hop around from system to system via games to find their way back to Mainframe. The game-hopping accelerates their aging to make them young adults. They find a system with portals to other systems, join up with Captain Capacitor and Ray Tracer to surf the Web and find their way home. Along the way, they find Bob, who has joined up with Web Riders in hopes of finding his way back as well. The Keytool that Enzo still carries with him combines with Bob, giving him its powers. They return to Mainframe to find that Megabyte has broken free of the firewall and has Mainframe under his control.

The good guys reunited, they all band together to confront the villians. Thanks to all the abuse and experiments Megabyte has heaped upon her, Hexadecimal is becoming increasingly more insane. But Bob is able to heal her of all the damage and earns her unending devotion. Bob and Megabyte have an epic fight. Megabyte is defeated and tries to take Mainframe with him. Mouse sends Megabyte into the Web before he can. However, Megabyte's damage is irreversable and the system is slowly dying.

The only options they have is fight to delay the inevitable or just let the system crash and hope that the User will do a system restore from the last backup. They watch as a game cube descends, which crashes the system totally. The User fulfills their hopes, restores the system and Mainframe is a good as ever.

The end is followed by two movies. The first focuses on a new villian called Daemon, who has infected nearly all the Web and is briefly alluded to during the last season of the series. She invades Mainframe and uses Bob to finish her task, then promptly attempts to make the entire Web self-destruct. Hexadecimal uses the core to power herself up to fight Daemon, but she is unable to stop her before the self-destruct program starts. The only option is send out a counter-program to stop it, but they need a virus to spread it. It also means total fragmentation, which is just as good as deletion. Out of love for Bob, Hexadecimal volunteers to have the virus loaded into her and spread it out over the Web.

The second features a second Bob popping up into Mainframe, right after "Glitch-Bob" proposes to Dot. During most of the movie, there is speculation as to who the "real" Bob is. "Glitch-Bob" goes to the SuperComputer to attempt to remove the Keytool from himself to prove he is the real one, but the process puts him in a coma. Dot decides to marry the other Bob. At the alter, "Glitch-Bob" recovers and confronts the other Bob, who reveals himself to be a mutated, more powerful Megabyte, who now has alias and Trojan horse abilities. Now he can shapeshift, create clones of himself, and infect indiscriminately. The movie ends with him controlling the Principal Office and announcing that he is no longer interested in ruling Mainframe. Instead, he just wants to destroy everything and everyone...

*blink, blink* O_o

Damn... And that was all from memory. I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed.

I'm kind of disappointed that the series ended in a cliffhanger. The "My Two Bobs" movie wasn't necessary in my opinion, but now I want to see everything tied up in a nice pretty bow in some kind of fifth season. Hopefully, this project they want to work on won't suck and will pick up where the last movie left off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ColRwxkC1FY

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.