As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once I saw an amazing movie...

MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
070514_once_vmed_5p.widec.jpg

Trailer here.

I don't think we've had a thread yet on this incredible movie. I saw a preview for it in Dublin when I was visiting in March. It looked interesting, but I remember saying, "Ah, hell. It'll probably never play in America, so there goes that."

Then, a month or so ago, I heard it was playing in select theaters. So I googled it, invited some of my friends, and drove 45 minutes to the theater.

I was blown away.

The movie was one of the most touching and extraordinary movies I've ever seen.

So, yeah. Anyone else see it? Your thoughts? I'd love to hear other people's reactions to this movie.

Edit: Yeah, as Wiseguy pointed out, maybe I wasn't so clear. The movie's name is "Once".

MikeMan on

• Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I live in the South therefore I will never see this movie. Unless it's still showing in Atlanta at the end of August when I finally go out there.

Hopefully the DVD release will be out soon, or I could download it off of iTunes or something.

Genius idea: iTunes starts carrying indie flicks.

I've heard a good bit about this movie, though, and I want to see it somehow.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    WiseguyWiseguy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, so the movie's called Once if people didn't catch that.

But, jesus christ, yes, go see this fucking film. Once is such an intimate experience, that it ceases to feel like a movie. Even if you don't like the music in the film, that doesn't matter. The cinematography, the characters, everything about this film avoids any cliche you know and gives you a refreshing experience.

Wiseguy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wiseguy wrote: »
    Okay, so the movie's called Once if people didn't catch that.

But, jesus christ, yes, go see this fucking film. Once is such an intimate experience, that it ceases to feel like a movie. Even if you don't like the music in the film, that doesn't matter. The cinematography, the characters, everything about this film avoids any cliche you know and gives you a refreshing experience.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough! Edited the OP appropriately.

I think the music's fantastic, but you're right, it's only one of the reasons why this is such an incredible movie.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I looked at the trailer...I want to see it! I wonder where I can find it...

thundercake on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's it about? No spoilers obv.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What's it about? No spoilers obv.

It's about a musician who meets a girl on the streets of an Irish city. I really don't know what else to say that doesn't give something away that I think is important. It's shot in a handy-cam style: very personal, very low-key. It features music prominently, the songwriting and performing thereof. It's raw, and fresh, and really doesn't have any of the normal love story cliches.

edit: Also, I've fallen in love with Marketa Irglova.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Added the trailer to the OP.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    It was running here a few weeks ago, and somebody told me it was a musical, so I didn't bother with it...

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    It was running here a few weeks ago, and somebody told me it was a musical, so I didn't bother with it...

Oh man.... :(

It features music, so I guess in that way it's a musical. But it's not like any other "musical" I've ever seen. People don't break out into choreographed song and dance, or anything.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    You should have made this thread much earlier. It's all your fault.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    You should have made this thread much earlier. It's all your fault.

I thought for sure someone did, but then I realized I probably was imagining things. It's still out in theaters where I am. I can only hope it's out near other people too. But if not, there's always the DVD.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, I wanna try and catch this with my GF so we can see it in the theater. Should I really try hard to do so or would it be okay to wait for the DvD...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, I wanna try and catch this with my GF so we can see it in the theater. Should I really try hard to do so or would it be okay to wait for the DvD...

Try really hard. Unless it's a shitty theater it will really add to it, IMO.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

Try really hard. Unless it's a shitty theater it will really add to it, IMO.

That's what I was scared of... The only really good theater around here is about, oh 40min away. Oh well.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't find any local theatres playing it. D:

Might have to look in the "independent" as i only searched online

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's really a crime that a movie like this is so hard to find, but something like Evan Almighty was in every theater in the universe.

Ugh.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I saw a trailer for this online, and they kept using lines like "This is a ONCE in a lifetime movie" and other shit like that.

I have decided to vehemently and preemptively hate this movie for that reason.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I saw a trailer for this online, and they kept using lines like "This is a ONCE in a lifetime movie" and other shit like that.

Sounds like a valid reason

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I know it's silly. But I just can't stand the ad.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HypnosHypnos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Is this one of those movies where a lot of the appeal comes from the fact it's an indie?

Hypnos on
    -Hypnos
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hypnos wrote: »
    Is this one of those movies where a lot of the appeal comes from the fact it's an indie?

No.

Unless by "indie" you mean "good." In that case, yeah, all of its appeal comes from it being good.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I been repping Once for about two months now.

Best movie I've seen in a while. It's like The Bends made movie.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I know it's silly. But I just can't stand the ad.

It makes me sadder than you will know that you might pass on this movie because of the stupid ad campaign.

Please. See it. Or the bunny-thing gets it!
    Japanese-Bunny.jpg

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just saw it

Hypnos on
    -Hypnos
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just saw it

Thanks for contributing to the thread in a constructive manner.

Asshole.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the Forums.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just saw it

Asshole.

It was a good movie.

O_o

Hypnos on
    -Hypnos
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm always down for a good non-cliche love story, so I'll have to look it up.

I don't think it's playing anywhere nearby, so Paris J'e taime will have to do in the meanwhile.
    (Any thoughts on that?)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, sorry for being direct, but talk about it, this is after all D&D where we do engage in conversation. Talk about such things as, 'Was it hard to find a theater that shows the movie?', 'What did/n't you like about the movie and/or it's characters.', 'Do you think it lives up to the hype?' Etc.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just saw it

Asshole.

It was a good movie.

O_o

I'm glad you liked it!

Get a sig and avvy so we can remember you.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want to see this movie. They put a preview for it on Hugh Grant's latest chick flick DVD.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmmmm, this comes out in a month here. I will keep an eye out for it. It looks like a good Palace flick.

Low Key on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I live in the South therefore I will never see this movie. Unless it's still showing in Atlanta at the end of August when I finally go out there.

Hopefully the DVD release will be out soon, or I could download it off of iTunes or something.

Genius idea: iTunes starts carrying indie flicks.

I've heard a good bit about this movie, though, and I want to see it somehow.
    Yeah, it's playing in a decent size release at theaters around Atlanta. I doubt it'll still be there at the end of August, though.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Laemmle's Playhouse 7
    673 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA, USA - Map
    12:00 2:20 4:50 7:20 9:45

SWEET. I need a good movie.

themightypuck on