As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP - Let's Get Started!

SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint.Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I'm thinking it's about time for me to buy a PSP. I do most of my gaming on handhelds so I can't ignore the PSP for much longer. So I've decided to head out tonight in search of a used PSP (one in good condition) and, if I decide I really do want it, will pick it up.

Unfortuneatly, I don't know a whole lot about the PSP. For one thing, what kinds of accessories should I pick up, and what size memory stick? Also, I know a bit about the games, but am unsure as to which are the cream of the crop that I absolutely must have. The older the better, because I can also get the games used and save some money.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

SirUltimos on

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The preferred case I see most people recommend is the Playgear Pocket -- I have it and love it, it's a nice tank of a case. $15 or so, and you can play the PSP while it's in the case and it doubles as a kickstand if you want to set it up for music or movies.

As far as memory sticks, if you're looking solely for games a 512MB stick should be plenty but there are good deals occasionally for 1GB or 2GB sticks, so you might as well (I got two 1GB sticks for $10 each a few months back, and now have a 4GB stick that was $40 after rebate). You need Memory Stick Pro Duos; the Sandisk brand is really good and cheaper than Sony's brand. I have a Lexar and it's not quite as fast as the Sandisk, but it was cheap. :P

As far as games, some of the earliest are still the best, IMO: Lumines, Wipeout Pure and Hot Shots Golf can be had for dirt cheap and are great. I also really love DJ Max Portable 2, and if you like rhythm game the pope told me it's a sin not to have it.

I also recommend PSP Video 9 for formatting your DVDs to fit on the PSP; TV shows work great in quick 22-minute bites for commutes and such.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're only going to be primarily using the PSP for games, you don't really need a huge memory stick. So a small Pro Duo will be fine. If you plan on using it for movies and MP3s, you'll probably want a 1 or 2 gig stick. If you don't have any already, a good set of headphones will do you good as well seeing as the speakers on the PSP aren't all that great on their own. They get nice volume, but their quality is a bit on the low side kinda like the DS Lite speakers.

As for games, Lumines is a must if you can find a copy and love puzzle games. I hear the Afterburner game on there is pretty sweet as well for an Arcade flight shooter. I've heard mixed things about Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. Kinda "Love it or hate it" games seeing as they both play like their console counterparts would, only missing the Right analog.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm thinking it's about time for me to buy a PSP. I do most of my gaming on handhelds so I can't ignore the PSP for much longer. So I've decided to head out tonight in search of a used PSP (one in good condition) and, if I decide I really do want it, will pick it up.

Unfortuneatly, I don't know a whole lot about the PSP. For one thing, what kinds of accessories should I pick up, and what size memory stick? Also, I know a bit about the games, but am unsure as to which are the cream of the crop that I absolutely must have. The older the better, because I can also get the games used and save some money.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

You'll want a Logitech Playgear Pocket, right off the bat. It's a great case to protect your fragile PSP with its delicious but unprotected screen. Plus you can make your own covers for it. As for a memory stick, what do you want to do with your PSP? If you just want to play it (how boring), you'll probably be fine for a while with the 32 mb stick that comes with it. If you hear the lurid siren's call of downgrading, homebrew, and ripping your own PSX games to play on it, or just want to pack some music on it (or even just fit those downloadable goodies like the extra tracks and ships for Wipeout Pure), you'll want a bigger card. You can fit up to 4 gigs in a PSP, I believe, and they're nicely priced at places like Newegg.

As for games, it all depends on what you like. Lumines is a great puzzle game (and the key to unlocking said homebrew to boot!), and since it was a launch game, should be easy and cheap to find. The two Metal Gear Acid games are pretty neat, merging Solid Snake with Yu-gi-oh in a way you think would never work, but does. The stories are not part of the main Metal Gear storyline, but they're full of crazy bad guys and sneaking around and, of course, cards. Wipeout Pure is a good racing game with some downloadable bonuses and rather sweet music, if you are into both racing games and techno. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is a game I own but have not had much time to play, but it is neat (and has a 86% on Gamerankings.com, which isn't bad). It even has voices!

There's really a whole slew of good games for the PSP. Daxter, Riviera, Syphon Filter, the GTAs if you're into them, Loco Roco <3, Gitaroo Man, and so on. Browse around Gamerankings and see if anything in the PSP top 50 catch your eye.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, the Playgear Pocket is awesome. it has saved my system numerous times.

The library really depends on your taste. There are some really good platformers, 2d and 3d in Mega Man Powered Up, and Daxter. Pirates is a great port of the PC/Xbox classic. Racing is where the system really shines, with Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Burnout, among other need for speeds and such. Action games there are some pretty fun ones. Infected is old, and although it is simple, it is quite fun (same goes for Planet Moon's other PSP game, Heatseeker, although i don't think that is old enough to be a bargain yet. Loco Roco is also good. Might want to pick up some of the downloadable demos first though, see if you like them.

In fact, go here for a list of all the downloadable demos available. (japanese ones work too)

I'm still looking to pick up Killzone Liberation and Ratchet And Clank sometime soon, but neither of those are at a bargain price yet.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got my PSP not long after it came out, maybe a month or two. I dropped it the first day, on a concrete sidewalk, and it stopped working. *cringe*

Somehow, the battery lost it's charge in the impact. After charging it, the system's worked fine. I bought the Playgear Pocket that very night, and have never dropped it since. Of course. =D

Final Fantasy Anniversary's been eating up my time lately. Metal Slug Anthology isn't BAD on PSP, but MS6 loads way too much. Loco Roco is gold, as is Lumines and Wipeout. Megaman: Maverick Hunter X is a great remake of MMX1 for SNES, and highly recommended, as is Megaman: Powered Up. Daxter's not bad, Metal Gear AC!D is ok, but takes too long to get through a level on a bus ride.

The PSP is under appreciated, largely due to the early lack of software and the push to resell every movie you own as a UMD. Now that the insanity of that has passed, we can enjoy the system for what it is: a damn solid portable with an awesome screen, great processing/graphical power for a portable, and all-around fantastic portable media device.

Houn on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the responses. For the most part, I'm only going to be playing the PSP at home so I don't really need a case and I guess I won't need a big memory stick either, since music and video would be more easily done at home anyway (although I didn't know about ripping PS1 games... I'm intrigiued by that).

Thanks for all the help so far.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2
    Killzone: Liberation
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    PoPoLoCroiS
    Prince of Persia: Rival Swords
    Final Fantasy 1 & 2 (remakes)
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
    God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    LocoRoco
    Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
    Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
    Legend of Heroes
    The Legend of Heroes III: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
    The Legend of Heroes IV: A Tear of Vermillion
    Valhalla Knights
    Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony
    Me and My Katamari
    Daxter
    Grand Theft Auto Stories
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

games currently out and coming out soon

check them out and see if they're a genre you like

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the responses. For the most part, I'm only going to be playing the PSP at home so I don't really need a case and I guess I won't need a big memory stick either, since music and video would be more easily done at home anyway (although I didn't know about ripping PS1 games... I'm intrigiued by that).

Why don't you just wait for the PSP Slim in September?

Esh on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Esh wrote: »

Why don't you just wait for the PSP Slim in September?

I was about to say the same thing. At the very minimum, buy a screen protector. It's like five bucks and you will appreciate it in the long run. If you're going to be using it at home so much, the slim is going to have TV out which is a really nice feature.

LocoRoco is a must have. Try out the demo and make sure you like it. Portable Ops is rad chilis too.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Like the others said if your gonna buy a PSP wait for the new one. The current one's battery life sucks. Not to mention the poor D pad (hopefully its fixed in the new version).

As for a memory card the included 32meg one isn't really enough even for game saves and demos. I don't do homebrew at all and I've got about 600megs of game demos and game saves on my 2gig memory card. Not to mention later down the road when sony will allow you to purchase PS1 games online without the need for the PS3 middleman. They take up about 500megs I think.

Also if you find you really don't like the included joystick nub keep in mind you can pop it off and replace it. I replaced mine with a larger one that kind of sticks up. Much easier on the thumb.

powersurge on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd suggest a screen protector even if you get the Playgear Pocket, as it's cheap as hell and doesn't hurt at all. It helps with dust somewhat, as well. Definitely, DEFINITELY get the Playgear Pocket. I've dropped my PSP from my backpack three times with no damage.

Pb on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PSP homebrew rocks too.

And IGN reviewed Sid Meir's Pirates! and said it was pretty kick ass. PC one was awesome, so this should be too.

Puzzle Quest rocks hard too.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Like the others said if your gonna buy a PSP wait for the new one. The current one's battery life sucks.

The new one may not be much better

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually, the battery life for the slim is apparently double if you use the original PSP battery in it.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2
    Killzone: Liberation
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    PoPoLoCroiS
    Prince of Persia: Rival Swords
    Final Fantasy 1 & 2 (remakes)
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
    God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    LocoRoco
    Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
    Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
    Legend of Heroes
    The Legend of Heroes III: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
    The Legend of Heroes IV: A Tear of Vermillion
    Valhalla Knights
    Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony
    Me and My Katamari
    Daxter
    Grand Theft Auto Stories
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

games currently out and coming out soon

check them out and see if they're a genre you like

I see no Ratchet and Clank - Size matters.

You die in your sleep.
    Nah just joking, you won't die for it

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yeah

i need to update that list

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually, the battery life for the slim is apparently double if you use the original PSP battery in it.
    But the old battery won't fit without a new, bulky cover for it.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But the old battery won't fit without a new, bulky cover for it.

It'll fit, except the new slim cover won't cover it, so it sticks out.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    if you get a PSP, get the following stuffs for it:

PSP system
    2gig or more mem stick (if you have ANY plans for video, music or homebrew + ps1 games from the PSN network.)

MG: portable ops
    Lumines
    Wipeout/Burnout if you like racing games
    Valkyrie Profile if you're an RPG player
    Loco Roco if you can find it cheap
    Tekken if you like fighting games
    Daxter
    Ratchet and Clank
    Socom(s)
    Maverick Hunter X
    Mega Man powered up

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was thinking about getting the PSP Slim, but I doubt I'd be able to find a used one for a while and I really can't afford the extra 50 bucks or so for a new one. I'm supposed to be saving for school.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This thread needs more Killzone: Liberation love. It's really fun, especially if you download the expansion pack.

And Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror is a fantastic action game as well.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Get a PSP with firmware 1.0/1.5, Lumines, and homebrew Cave Story. You will not be disappointed.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm probably the only one here who's played it, but the Marvel Trading Card game has gotten more playtime than any other psp game I own. It's basically just the VS card game with a long single player and some multiplayer options (though the internet multiplayer is lame in that they make you buy packs mtgo style).

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086