As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Religion is giving me a headache...

WindbitWindbit Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm not sure what to believe. I was raised as a Christian, but currently I can't believe that a loving God would be selfish enough to create people to suffer and that he would send all nonchristians to Hell. I've read so many books and articles on the Internet arguing for and against Christianity. It's extremely hard to keep all the claims straight.

I've seen more proof against Christianity than I have for it. I believe that macroevolution does occur. I also see several inconsistencies in the Bible, such as the contradictions concerning Judas' death. I've also found that in Matthew 16:28, Mark 9:1, and Luke 9:27, Jesus says he will return before all those who are present at his ascent into Heaven will not die before the Second Coming.

However, I've also seen claims that the vast majority of Old Testament prophecy has been fulfilled. I've read several of them that seem pretty convincing, but I don't think I could possibly figure out if all of these claims are true or not.

I really want to make sure if Christianity is true or not. I want to eliminate all doubt from my mind. If any of you have comments, or could post links to helpful material, I would appreciate it.

Windbit on

• Options
    tdonlantdonlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    another religion thread? Just renounce God and become an atheist, its what all the cool kids are doing.

tdonlan on
    ==========
    |daydalus.net|
    ==========
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where does it say in the Bible that non-Christians are going to Hell to suffer forever?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Where does it say in the Bible that non-Christians are going to Hell to suffer forever?

Whichever parts the Baptists read.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why does macroevolution matter? The Earth isn't flat, the sun doesn't revolve around the Earth, the planet is more than 6000 years old... the case for the Bible as an absolute, literally true account of the planet's history is obviously not going to hold anyway.

Take a look around at some of the different ideas of what Christianity is. You're sure to find something which can accommodate both your faith and your doubts. The desire to eliminate all doubt from your mind is understandable but not really healthy, IMHO. Atheists have to live with doubt too, they just live with different doubts.

itylus on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really doubt the OP is sincere.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Windbit wrote: »
    I really want to make sure if Christianity is true or not. I want to eliminate all doubt from my mind.

Well, that's not possible. You can't Know if it is True, and the only way to eliminate doubt is to stop thinking.

Think of it this way: How scared are you of being eaten by a dragon?

That should tell you how much you feel non-empirical things.

Then go with that.

_J_ on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    However, I've also seen claims that the vast majority of Old Testament prophecy has been fulfilled. I've read several of them that seem pretty convincing, but I don't think I could possibly figure out if all of these claims are true or not.

Such as... ? You'd think events of that magnitude would be grounded in more than just hearsay.

Glyph on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want to eliminate all doubt from my mind.
    Why the hell would anyone want to do that?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    None of us can tell you whether Christianity is True and no materials that we could point you to could do that either. You have to decide for yourself what is true for you. That's what faith, belief, and non-belief are all about and it's what sets relgion apart from science (for most people).

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    witch_ie wrote: »
    You have to decide for yourself what is true for you. That's what faith, belief, and non-belief are all about and it's what sets relgion apart from science (for most people).

Religion is apart from science in the same way that alchemy is apart from chemistry or astrology is apart from astronomy.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really want to make sure if Christianity is true or not.
    Well, do you want it to be true? Because that's pretty much how it works.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wait, how does "wanting" something to be true "work"?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, how does "wanting" something to be true "work"?

Hit or miss depending on whether the thing you want to be true is true. Most people don't really care if something is true qua true though. It matters when you are building bridges and whatnot but less so when you are trying to come up with reasons to get up in the morning,.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    WindbitWindbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To tell the truth, I don't want it to be true, because it seems to me that no sort of higher power could be good. I especially don't want Christianity to be true because it seems cruel to me that not only do people have to suffer in life just so God can get his worshipers, but the vast majority of people will have to suffer for all eternity in Hell.

Windbit on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You have to decide for yourself what is true for you.

"true for you" doesn't mean anything. Subjective does not equal Objective.

_J_ on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure what to believe.

I really want to make sure if Christianity is true or not. I want to eliminate all doubt from my mind. If any of you have comments, or could post links to helpful material, I would appreciate it.

Faith in a religion cannot be based around "facts", "proof", or the scientific method. To be faithful, you have to have faith, which is one of those intangible things that meters and scales cannot quantify. It works out well in Christianity, because all you need to do is believe in Cybo-Jebus or Zombie Jebus or whatever he's supposed to be nowadays and give him (and by association, everyone else) your love, and you'll be ok.

There's only one way to "prove" which religion is right, and it involves a gun, your cranium, and a very speedy piece of lead going from one to the other. You want proof, you're not gonna get it until you get that sweet, sweet formaldehyde enema.

And if you wait until then, it's too late. Hence the whole "faith" thing.

Ultra Edit:

Don't let church dogma/fat, sweaty "Christian" women/poorly translated and misrepresented Bibles sour you on the religion of your choice. Your belief and faith comes from within, and all the bullshit everyone else spouts is just what their religion means to them and how they interpret all that excess bullshit that the churches have been heaping on for the past couple of thousand years to get money.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

But... but... objective truth is divisive!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    To tell the truth, I don't want it to be true, because it seems to me that no sort of higher power could be good. I especially don't want Christianity to be true because it seems cruel to me that not only do people have to suffer in life just so God can get his worshipers, but the vast majority of people will have to suffer for all eternity in Hell.

Well you can comfort yourself with the fact that there is no empirical evidence to support the notion of people suffering for all eternity in hell. You can also play Agatha Christie with the "hell" meme and deduce that the best explanation for its existence is that it allows people to control other people through fear.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2007

What's neat is that you're being sarcastic...but there are people who actually believe that.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm sure you know it is quite a bit more complicated than that. You can't escape your subjectivity no matter how hard you try.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2007
    You can't escape your subjectivity no matter how hard you try.

Is that statement subjective?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Turtles...all the way down.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2007

I'm just saying, your statement refutes itself.

_J_ on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I feel like I'm trying to heal a gunshot wound with a first aid kit, but here goes...

Look. The Bible's subject matter is, first and foremost, the nature of God and the fate of the human soul. Despite making claims about history, cosmology, and even physics, the Bible ultimately says fuck-all about those things. Well, it actually says a lot about Jewish history, but that's not the point of the text.

Now, if you really want to 'banish all doubt from your mind' about Christianity, consider what it asks you to believe. As you think about it, pay attention to whether claims like 'Jesus was raised from the dead' are taken as innately true by you. Don't attempt to justify them to yourself. The point is, do you believe without having to give reasons for it? Because that is the nature of Faith.

I'd say this is probably more worthy of H&A, but I've never gone to H&A and have no idea if they're equipped to deal with spiritual crises.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm just saying, your statement refutes itself.

Think of it as a koan.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

I'm just not sure what he's after. I predict that it will involve a horse, however, and that this horse will be high.
    Harrier wrote: »
    I'd say this is probably more worthy of H&A

You'd say wrong. H/A is not a debate-forum.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm not sure what he's after, though. I predict that it will involve a horse, however, and that this horse will be high.
    For a second there, I thought you were making some kind of marijuana joke.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well you can comfort yourself with the fact that there is no empirical evidence to support the notion of people suffering for all eternity in hell. You can also play Agatha Christie with the "hell" meme and deduce that the best explanation for its existence is that it allows people to control other people through fear.
    Careful! When he realizes this, he'll quickly realize that heaven is the same thing, except with reward instead of fear, and that could be depressing!

Kaputa on
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm just not sure what he's after. I predict that it will involve a horse, however, and that this horse will be high.

I think the point is that the original poster isn't after a debate on the merits of religion, he's hoping for relief from the anxieties caused by the disconnect between what he's been raised to believe and what he has come to think through his independent thoughts processes.

itylus on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    itylus wrote: »

I think the point is that the original poster isn't after a debate on the merits of religion, he's hoping for relief from the anxieties caused by the disconnect between what he's been raised to believe and what he has come to think through his independent thoughts processes.

From his other posts, I think he's already an atheist deep down inside. This thread seems to be bait.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Religion, Atheism, Agnosticism, they all have idiots.

I guess I'm a nonthiest. Is that a word?

Shinyo on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Why do people keep inappropriately capitalizing the first letters of certain words? The word "faith" doesn't need to be capitalized, nor does "truth," for that matter.

Windbit, think of it this way. Would you have ever had an inkling to believe all that bullshit and bile the bible tosses around if you hadn't been raised with it? We're all atheist by default, whether some would like to admit it or not, and anything that follows is a purely social construct created out of habit nowadays. Religion really isn't anything special at all, and spirituality is just as much of a useless concept. Don't be afraid of losing both of those things, because the freedom you'll know after you have will lead you down the roads of actual philosophy, rather than trumped up swill with pretty, comforting words.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shinyo wrote: »

If you mean nonthiest in the sense that you don't believe in god, that's the same thing as atheism chief.

Theism = belief in god

a = without

athiesm = without a belief in god

I used to hang out on a religious debate forum, and the amount of religion threads we've had in the last week is starting to bother me.

Also, the word "macroevolution" fills me with so much anger it burns like a tiny star within my mind. Stop using it, or I'll slit your throat while you sleep.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Ferris Bueller thought -isms were bad. Sounds like you're two peas in a pod.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

Ferris Bueller thought -isms were bad. Sounds like you're two peas in a pod.

A nontheist practices nontheism, neither of which are words because they mean the same thing as atheism.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Also, the word "macroevolution" fills me with so much anger it burns like a tiny star within my mind. Stop using it, or I'll slit your throat while you sleep.

I agree so very, very hard. It was a word created by stupid fucking creationists because they had to reconcile the fact that they'd been denying a phenomenon which we had tangible fucking evidence for. "Macro" and "micro" are only seperated by time, creationists just couldn't deal with it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    This is, like, the third fucking thread you have made saying pretty much the exact same goddamned thing. If there is a God, I'm sure he's sick about you prattling on about the same shit ad nauseum, so just shut it and move on. Or, like, go back and read the other identical threads that you started within the past week, because I'm sure this one will look exactly the same in ten pages.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.