As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm new: New guys suck.

Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in PAX Archive
So I just learned of PAX and immediately want to go.

Course, I just learned of it, now, like, yesterday then now. Worse off none of my friends are interested. I feel ashamed.

So how does one late join a thing as this especially when you reside in So. Cal? Really advice is what I'm looking for, or friends. ;DDDD

I think my only problem is finding a room, or people, or things.

Dee Kae on

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Where were you the last three years?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok,

1. Go register for the conference at www.pennyarcadeexpo.com

2. Find a way to get up here. I suggest the west-coast train trip or a Greyhound (which may or may not have fellow PAX-ers). The train trip Q&A is here, however.
    http://www.westcoastsupertrip.org/
    Or the thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=10276

3. Go to the hotel thread here, and see if you can find a room.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14865

4. Proceed to make friends on the forums.

5. Read this thread for more info.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15790

Hope that helps man. What is your name and classification (human/ewok/druid)?

Edit: New guys totally don't suck

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Go here to register for PAX, before August 1st. Unless you want to pay five dollars more at the door.

Check out the West Coast Train Trip Thread, if you want to party on a train all the way to PAX.

Hit up one of these two threads for Hotel arrangements. Or book your own.

Hope this helps.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alright, your first stop would probably be here. This is the West Coast Train Trip thread. Plenty of people going to PAX decide to fly, but others have decided to organize their very own train voyage up north to the great state of Washington.

Next! You may want to visit this thread. It has information pertaining to a room you might be able to get in on and you can also post your information and desire to find space to sleep.

Then we have our Pre-PAX events, which is a good reason to try and make it here Thursday around mid-day (Which sadly, WCTT won't be able to attend most of).

Pre-PAX Movie Raid. This started last year and was a rousing success with Snakes on a Plane being the target of merrymaking. This year, The Invasion, a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, is chosen as our muse for insult.

The Official Pre-PAX Dinner. Organized by our very own Astayonix and her partner ElectricTurtle, these two were good enough to find us space at P.F. Chang's this year and are organizing seating waves as to not disturb and anger the management of the establishment.

The Pre-PAX Nerdcore Show. This is just a little show being put on in a bar in Seattle called the High Dive. MC Frontalot, MC Router, Beefy, MC Chris and Optimus Rhyme are some of the names here.

Freezepop Concert. These guys just kick tons of ass, and if you don't want to sit in on a rap concert, this is a fine alternative.

For a little side fun at the convention you can give these a try.

Patient Zero. A game designed by a good friend of mine, this thing is outfit with combat rules, powerups and rife with missions and lots of other fun stuff to occupy some time at the con. There is also a link to the game's site itself in my sig.

TerraDrive Live. Patient Zero seem a little too time consuming or involved? Wanna just enjoy the con without that kind of distraction? Well, this game is more simple. It can be played at any time and is easy enough to just throw down at a slow moment in a line or in a concert, whathaveyou.

Beyond all of that, you have your standard tournaments, your awesome tabletop adventures that everyone loves. You can game in freeplay rooms (Console or PC), or you can bring your own computer.

Almost anything else you want information on, you can find it either here, an events master stickey or here, The Forumer's Complete Guide to PAX.

Sorry to ramble on here. Hope this helps you some.

EDIT: Oops! Almost forgot to mention one of the coolest room parties you ever saw! Party at Sealab Party 2007. This behemoth of a party has been around for around 3 years now and has been put on by our very own Moe_Fwacky. There is going to be plenty of booze (for 21+), Technomancer Press is sponsoring the bathroom and putting on a contest or two and we are going to be having an all around good time.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    Where were you the last three years?

A hole.

It was deep.

Edit: I'm amazed at the help I'm getting, thanks a ton. I figured I'd hit up that train thing from LA or what not or gray hound it up there. (A day and a half on the bus? Nonstop party)

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Edit: I'm amazed at the help I'm getting, thanks a ton. I figured I'd hit up that train thing from LA or what not or gray hound it up there. (A day and a half on the bus? Nonstop party.)

Train will have 40+ drunken PAXgoers partying and carrying on... Greyhound will have a whole lot of boredom. And no power outlets.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    neuroslice wrote: »

Edit: I'm amazed at the help I'm getting, thanks a ton. I figured I'd hit up that train thing from LA or what not or gray hound it up there. (A day and a half on the bus? Nonstop party.)

Train will have 40+ drunken PAXgoers partying and carrying on... Greyhound will have a whole lot of boredom. And no power outlets.

Count me in, but busing it to LA, damnit.

Bakersfield is a land of nothing, and uh... fields. Ironically.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bakersfield to LA won't be THAT bad.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It won't be. It'll rock.

Question, since I'll end up on this train thing. Settlers of Catan, or not?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It won't be. It'll rock.

Question, since I'll end up on this train thing. Settlers of Catan, or not?

The board game or some electronic derivative? Man, if I didn't already live in Washington I would soooooooooo be down for that on the train. I highly suggest you bring! If you have it around at PAX, I wouldn't mind re-learning how to play (I forget how).

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Looks like the Greyhound does connect to the Amtrak station, but I'd recommend the Amtrak bus, its really nice. just type in "Bakersfield" to "SEA" on amtrak.com.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Settlers of Catan, or not?

yesij4.jpg

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    neuroslice wrote: »
    Looks like the Greyhound does connect to the Amtrak station, but I'd recommend the Amtrak bus, its really nice. just type in "Bakersfield" to "SEA" on amtrak.com.
    Awesome, wonder if it's cheaper too.

Site confuses me, they buses?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Amtrak operates both buses and trains, and will assemble you a schedule that gets you where you need to go.

The best thing about it is that you don't need to bus south at all. The 703/717 San Joaquins goes north from Bakersfield and meets up with the Coast Starlight at Sacramento or Martinez. Both stops will have Supertrippers waiting for the train (PM the people listed in the first post to arrange a meet up). Just make sure that you connect with the right train, which is the Coast Starlight northbound on the 22nd of August. Return trip is the southbound Coast Starlight on the 27th.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    Amtrak operates both buses and trains, and will assemble you a schedule that gets you where you need to go.

The best thing about it is that you don't need to bus south at all. The 703/717 San Joaquins goes north from Bakersfield and meets up with the Coast Starlight at Sacramento or Martinez. Both stops will have Supertrippers waiting for the train (PM the people listed in the first post to arrange a meet up). Just make sure that you connect with the right train, which is the Coast Starlight northbound on the 22nd of August. Return trip is the southbound Coast Starlight on the 27th.

Oh awesome, this'll only cost me a cool 20 for the bus added on. ;D

Thanks!

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The San Joaquin's a train.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Welcome aboard mate! I'm new here too, never been to PAX and I'm already having a blast. You're guaranteed to meet and make friends just hanging out here, so even if you go to PAX alone... you won't be alone.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Liger wrote: »
    Welcome aboard mate! I'm new here too, never been to PAX and I'm already having a blast. You're guaranteed to meet and make friends just hanging out here, so even if you go to PAX alone... you won't be alone.

Awesome, now if only I can find a room, then I can book everything and be set.

Since I don't even think Dayquil could keep me awake for four/five days.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

There will be got plenty of caffeine to do that for you. And let's face it with concerts ending at 3AM and doors opening at 9 and the daily after-parties you don't got room in the schedule to sleep.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »

There will be got plenty of caffeine to do that for you. And let's face it with concerts ending at 3AM and doors opening at 9 and the daily after-parties you don't got room in the schedule to sleep.
    I'll find a hotel coffee table to crash under for three hours at a time.

That's enough sleep, I think.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Or just bunk with people that already have a room or try and get booked in the Green Tortise Hostel thread.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You suck, new guy. On the basis that you're a new guy.

Chizzer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Chizzer wrote: »
    You suck, new guy. On the basis that you're a new guy.

You have yet to feel how hard I can rock.

And eh, I'm looking, posted in that hotel thread, etc etc etc.

Can't really book anything till I get a place to crash really. :/

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, here's hoping you make your way to PAX. The more the merrier.

Chizzer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Chizzer wrote: »
    Well, here's hoping you make your way to PAX. The more the merrier.
    Aye aye at that.

(Comon someone has to have floor space. ;-;)

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure plenty of people even have bed space. Did you look at the green tortise hostel.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure plenty of people even have bed space. Did you look at the green tortise hostel.

Nope, what's that?

Sides, real men sleep on floors, with rocks.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's this.

A hostel's kind of like a hotel, except you sleep in bunk rooms and it's generally $25-30/night. Oh, and it's not a hotel. There's no room service or anything. Real bare bones.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's this.

A hostel's kind of like a hotel, except you sleep in bunk rooms and it's generally $25-30/night. Oh, and it's not a hotel. There's no room service or anything. Real bare bones.

That a bit uh....

Hrm...

Guess at a least ditch effort I'd stay there.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's this.

That a bit uh....

Hrm...

Ever since I have learned what one is, I have heard really good things about them. Certainly they are sort of low tech and stuff, but it usually is clean and warm (obviously that's not ALWAYS the case). I guess they are really popular in Europe.

I don't know if anyone has stayed at the Green Tortise before, but I assume it must be good. There is an entire thread of PAX people that are getting some rooms together (so they aren't with strangers). You should just hit that thread up. Should be a great way to meet people too.

Here you go:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=29374

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's this.

That a bit uh....

Hrm...

Ever since I have learned what one is, I have heard really good things about them. Certainly they are sort of low tech and stuff, but it usually is clean and warm (obviously that's not ALWAYS the case). I guess they are really popular in Europe.

I don't know if anyone has stayed at the Green Tortise before, but I assume it must be good. There is an entire thread of PAX people that are getting some rooms together (so they aren't with strangers). You should just hit that thread up. Should be a great way to meet people too.

Here you go:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=29374

Now that's a great idea. Rooming together would be the best thing.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Glad to help! Being one of the guy that has been to all of them, it's nice to be able to point out stuff that will make your experience more enjoyable. Good luck. Also, I don't think the hostel is too far. Here is the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=105+1%2F2++Pike+st.,+Seattle,+WA+98101&daddr=800+Convention+Pl,+Seattle,+Washington+98101&sll=47.608851,-122.339936&sspn=0.003154,0.006909&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Glad to help! Being one of the guy that has been to all of them, it's nice to be able to point out stuff that will make your experience more enjoyable. Good luck. Also, I don't think the hostel is too far. Here is the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=105+1%2F2++Pike+st.,+Seattle,+WA+98101&daddr=800+Convention+Pl,+Seattle,+Washington+98101&sll=47.608851,-122.339936&sspn=0.003154,0.006909&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1

Well I figure I'll only walk that route twice a day, or somehow acquire a rouge minicart from a golfcourse in the middle of nowhere or such.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    EPIC MOUNT!

TrainwreckX on
This discussion has been closed.