As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is how the world ends... apparently.

• Options
    Che GuevaraChe Guevara __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    What does the transit of Venus entail? Like lights in the night sky, or more subtle stuff?

Well, I watched it through a telescope.

You can't look directly at the sun, so you have to use one of those solar reflector jobbies that focuses the light on a white sheet of paper.

Once it begins, it's like watching this tiny little black tear drop form on the side of the sun. Then it breaks off and this dot of a shadow slowly moves across the sun.

The knowledge that the tiny shadow you're seeing is about the same size as Earth... this tiny blue marble floating in space... and that it's a lot closer to the Sun and yet the Sun still looks so amazingly massive in comparison... it was an amazing perspective.

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No! It isn't the mayans, it's the Bird Flu pandemic that is going to do us in.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was about to read it, then I realized I'm an intelligent human being who doesn't easily fall pray to stupid pseudoscience. Good day sir.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thing that I don't get about their this side up of the galaxy theory is that why does our position matter? So post 2012 we are > 0 on the galaxy plane. Where are we at now in relative position to where we will be in 2012, +0.0001? So in the time we've been an intelligent species how much have we moved in that? I can't possibly believe that the difference between ok and totally fucked can happen in a matter of 5 years for this type of movement. Wouldn't we have already seen effects of this?

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Speaking of Mayans, I will be visiting Tulum tomorrow.

It's the only large-scale ruins to overlook the Caribbean Sea. It should be pretty cool.

Want me to look for a Mayan Doomsday Device while I'm there?

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Muriden wrote: »
    The thing that I don't get about their this side up of the galaxy theory is that why does our position matter? So post 2012 we are > 0 on the galaxy plane. Where are we at now in relative position to where we will be in 2012, +0.0001? So in the time we've been an intelligent species how much have we moved in that? I can't possibly believe that the difference between ok and totally fucked can happen in a matter of 5 years for this type of movement. Wouldn't we have already seen effects of this?

I really wouldn't mind having the water in my toilet spin the opposite way.

Wait.......wait a minute.

After we cross that magical equator that the crazy people believe will make opposite day every day, does that mean when I flush my toilet, sewage comes out?

Everyone have evil goatees?

Kryptonite will heal Superman?

Pit bulls will heal instead of maul?

Honestly, I don't think this is a universe I want to live in.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    Speaking of Mayans, I will be visiting Tulum tomorrow.

It's the only large-scale ruins to overlook the Caribbean Sea. It should be pretty cool.

Want me to look for a Mayan Doomsday Device while I'm there?

Just hit the self destruct button, then we'll be safe.

I came in here to explain how the Mayan calendar is cyclical, but I've been beaten so badly that I have a bloody nose. So I'll just tell the OP not to be such a gullible idiot next time.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2012 I'm not worried about. Unless we get a shitty president or something. 2025 on the other hand I'm thinking about. It won't be the end of the world, but a bit of shit will hit the fan.

Shogun on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I really wouldn't mind having the water in my toilet spin the opposite way.

Wait.......wait a minute.

After we cross that magical equator that the crazy people believe will make opposite day every day, does that mean when I flush my toilet, sewage comes out?

Everyone have evil goatees?

Kryptonite will heal Superman?

Pit bulls will heal instead of maul?

Honestly, I don't think this is a universe I want to live in.

We all get cowboy hats. That's it.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    Blah blah blah, blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah bu but anything more (like sudden world peace, or free ganja ---

What's this? Well now you've got my attention.
    is just stupid hippie mumbo-jumbo. Don't pay any attention to it.

Oh. Well shit.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man unless you have a supernova device and are planning to blow up the Earth or remove a large fraction of it or something i.e. get active about your favorite apocalypse, I don't want to hear about it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    You really need to read Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World.

He talks about exactly this kind of pseudoscience crap and why it is so popular among (stupid) people.

Amazingly good book. Puts shit like this in a more natural perspective instead of some sort of quasi-science sensationalist shit.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The world ends in fire. Either because of a supernova or because Loki is a dick.

moniker on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    The world ends in fire. Either because of a supernova or because Loki is a dick.

It's all about Surtr, baby.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Some say it ends in ice...

Either cause the sun goes out or we cloud it up or ice ages tend to be cyclical as some theories predict.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Either cause the sun goes out or we cloud it up or ice ages tend to be cyclical as some theories predict.

As the sun expands into a red giant our Ozone layer is going to be burned off and the atmosphere carried away by solar winds until we turn into a more brown version of Mars. Orbiting a white dwarf until a black hole swallows us up or the end of existence as we understand it comes.

moniker on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man we will kill ourselves long before that. You know too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around. The reasons, as always, purely human ones..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man we will kill ourselves long before that. You know too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around. The reasons, as always, purely human ones..

Celine Dion Christmas Albums.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think doomsday predictions discredit themselves by virtue of being overly specific. When the end comes, it'll be in a way we didn't see coming. The global equivalent of Rimmer's Mind that bus, what bus, splat.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Maybe its not a galaxy-centric theory?

The implication is that a balance is tipped and a boundary is crossed.

If you imagined Earth as the center of their Universe (obviously), they're probably talking about a pole shift.

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2007
    HBNDonut wrote: »
    Yeah so this is my first post on these forums, but a friend told me to come here because I would get a lot of feedback on this topic. First of all there is this:

Doomsday 2012

I read this today and it really got me worked up and worried. It's a big read, but I'm sure some of you will find it interesting at least. I'll summaraise it here as best I can;

OK, first off you have these dudes called the "Mayans" who were like Astronomers and invented a big crazy detailed calendar thousands of years ago. When you do all the mathematics, this calander expires on approx December 21 2012. There has been lots of conspiracy theories about this and lots of ideas as to why this date is significant. But then I heard about this big astronomical event that is about to happen to us...

No.
    Now first off, I dont believe in religion or prophecies or anything like that. I think, maybe, the Mayans were really really smart and awesome at predicting universal outcome through astronomy... anyway;

No.
    Our Solar System is not in a fixed position in the Milky Way Galaxy, as you may know. We move around as the galaxy moves around. On December 21st 2012 our solar system will do something it has never done before. It will pass from a position "above" the Milkyway's centre of mass - to beneath it... This is going to do all kinds of crazy unpredicted crap to us, electric power will short circuit, days and nights could get shorter/longer, water in the northern hemesphere will spin clockwise down the plughole instead of anti-clockwise etc...

I do know what you're talking about, but you're wrong on basically all counts regarding the consequences. What you're talking about is how the Milky Way is basically a big disk, and we're sort of on top of the disk, near the edge. But we do go up and down through the disc, and in fact we have gone through the densest, "middle" part of the disc many times before. This is nothing new, and there is no fucking reason it would fuck up magnetic fields and shit -- unless you can point to some celestial body that will draw near enough to us to actually effect our magnetic fields and shit. And, at that point? I'm pretty sure collision would be more of a worry at that point. :P
    Also, the Sun begins a new solar cycle in the year 2012. At the start of the Suns solar cycles (which happen every 11 years or so) there is a lot of explosive reactions from the sun, shooting billions of tonnes of super heated gasses and chemicals into space.

Normally, we are protected from these reactions from the sun by some sort of wierd magnetic field which has a big crazy name. But not when we move to our new position in the Milkyway. We're going to burn to death. And there is nothing we can do about it, guys.

First of all, Earth's magnetic field does approximately jack and/or shit to protect us from solar wind and cosmic rays. It's a common myth, though. You know what protects us from these ridiculously fast-moving, charged particles? Our atmosphere. That's why we have an ionosphere, buddy -- because this shit ionizes everything in the top layer of the atmosphere due to all the high-energy collisions. Fuck the magnetic field. Your compass wouldn't work (even though passing through the disc will do nothing to our magnetic field in the first place), but that's about it. Maybe some migratory birds will get lost.

Our magnetic field is in the middle of switching poles, though. That's kind of cool.
    Also, it may also just be coincedence, but look at a lot of our political timescales and scheduled events like dealing with global warming etc. You'd be surprised at just how often the year 2012 is mentioned. That could just be me making stuff up, but I think the world leaders know something that we don't.

No.

Stop worrying.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I will make a prediction: in 2012, much like every other year, nothing interesting will happen. However in 2011, something bad will happen and in 2013 the US will do something for us to continue regretting doing for the next decade.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I will make a prediction: in 2012, much like every other year, nothing interesting will happen. However in 2011, something bad will happen and in 2013 the US will do something for us to continue regretting doing for the next decade.

The Venus transit happens in 2012.

If you miss it, you'll have to wait until your grandkids get the chance to see it next time.
    First of all, Earth's magnetic field does approximately jack and/or shit to protect us from solar wind and cosmic rays. It's a common myth, though. You know what protects us from these ridiculously fast-moving, charged particles? Our atmosphere. That's why we have an ionosphere, buddy -- because this shit ionizes everything in the top layer of the atmosphere due to all the high-energy collisions. Fuck the magnetic field. Your compass wouldn't work (even though passing through the disc will do nothing to our magnetic field in the first place), but that's about it. Maybe some migratory birds will get lost.

Our magnetic field is in the middle of switching poles, though. That's kind of cool.

Uhhh... might want to read up on that one. The magnetosphere deflects massive amounts of solar radiation.

solar_wind_comp_L.jpg

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    c_apocalypto_teaser_cartel.jpg

COINCIDENCE

I THINK NOT.

My theory: Mayan Guy #1: Dude our calender ends Dec 21st 2012
    Mayan Guy #2: So? We got a few centuries to fix it.
    Mayan Guy #1: Your right!

They were both sacrificed that night.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

As the sun expands into a red giant our Ozone layer is going to be burned off and the atmosphere carried away by solar winds until we turn into a more brown version of Mars. Orbiting a white dwarf until a black hole swallows us up or the end of existence as we understand it comes.

I was pretty sure the Sun would not expand into a red giant. I have always read that it will just diminish into a white dwarf or a quark (or some shit) and eventually disappear. The Sun doesn't have enough mass to collapse into a black hole (though reading about how that happens is pretty cool).

As for 'passing through the Milky Way' crap. We, as in everything on Earth, is always in a state of motion (astronomically spealking). The Earth rotates, the Earth goes around the Sun, the Sun goes around the center of the galaxy, the galaxy is in a constant state of travel from the center of the universe where the big bang happened. If we were to pass 'underneath' the Milky Way, it would have been gradual lasting who-the-fuck-cares amount of years.

As for the end of the world? Pssssht, that is small potatos. Everyone knows that when the Earth is in trouble, humankind will band together and use some impossible science to advert disasster. The Hollywood theory proves this.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2007

If you miss it, you'll have to wait until your grandkids get the chance to see it next time.

Uhhh... might want to read up on that one. The magnetosphere deflects massive amounts of solar radiation.

http://scijinks.jpl.nasa.gov/en/educators/gallery/spaceweather/solar_wind_comp_L.jpg

Man, well it does shit for cosmic rays, and those are the really nasty fuckers anway.

Plus I'm pretty sure our atmosphere is still the primary method of absorbtion. I mean, you do understand how tremendously weak the Earth's magnetic field is, right? And that some of the particles coming in towards us have energy that's measured in billions of electron volts, right? For a single, tiny charged particle? These things sometimes travel at speeds faster than we can make in a particle accelerator. Earth's magnetic field really does absolutely nothing against that.

Further, the Earth's field would provide pretty much no protection at the poles -- assuming it provided protection in the first place. And yet, you'll take note that they are neither utterly irradiated or scorched to a crisp.

Like I said -- as far as I know, the idea that Earth's incredibly weak magnetic field, which provides no coverage for the poles, and has in fact shifted poles many times in our history (the middle of such a shift would result in essentially no realy magnetic field around our planet -- it's happening right now. The poles are gonna shift pretty soon) actually protects us from enormous amounts of incredibly energized particles makes no sense.

But then again I might be on crack.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »

http://scijinks.jpl.nasa.gov/en/educators/gallery/spaceweather/solar_wind_comp_L.jpg

Man, well it does shit for cosmic rays, and those are the really nasty fuckers anway.

Plus I'm pretty sure our atmosphere is still the primary method of absorbtion. I mean, you do understand how tremendously weak the Earth's magnetic field is, right? And that some of the particles coming in towards us have energy that's measured in billions of electron volts, right? For a single, tiny charged particle? These things sometimes travel at speeds faster than we can make in a particle accelerator. Earth's magnetic field really does absolutely nothing against that.

Further, the Earth's field would provide pretty much no protection at the poles -- assuming it provided protection in the first place. And yet, you'll take note that they are neither utterly irradiated or scorched to a crisp.

Like I said -- as far as I know, the idea that Earth's incredibly weak magnetic field, which provides no coverage for the poles, and has in fact shifted poles many times in our history (the middle of such a shift would result in essentially no realy magnetic field around our planet -- it's happening right now. The poles are gonna shift pretty soon) actually protects us from enormous amounts of incredibly energized particles makes no sense.

But then again I might be on crack.

You're on crack.

The magnetosphere acts like a gigantic cow-pusher, using it's polarity to fend off high energy particles from coronal mass ejections as well as the solar wind.

However, a CME can come in at an opposing polarity and all the energy gets sucked straight down into the core, wreaking havoc on a global scale with electric circuits.

As for high energy radiation reaching the ground at the poles... there are huuuuuge friggin' holes in the Ozone there, remember?

Che Guevara on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just to clarify: Water does not, in fact, go down the drain in opposite directions on opposite sides of the earth.

Because that would be stupid.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HBNDonut wrote: »
    OK, first off you have these dudes called the "Mayans"...

I'm going to keep reading, but why is Mayans in quotation marks?

Edit: Dammit. The high estrogen mod beat me to it.

Quid on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just to clarify: Water does not, in fact, go down the drain in opposite directions on opposite sides of the earth.

Because that would be stupid.

Must you ruin every urban legend?

I mean, next thing you will tell me is that they put chlorein in the water...

Or never landed on the moon.

Yeah, I went there.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Was going to write something and then realised that if someone's going to believe stuff like this, it's difficult to change their minds. It's like all the psuedo-archeology stuff that goes round and pretend scholars make loads of money out of, when you try to show them that half the stuff's made up or (in this case) a really unlikely reading of the texts, etc. they just think you're part of the "academic conspiracy," knowingly lying to thousands of students for your own nefarious purposes (seriously, read Bernal's replies to criticisms made of his Black Athena books - beats any rant on here for shear hilarity), as do their readers (there's a really good chapter in Fagen's book written by someone who got totally sucked in by some of these so-called 'theories' about how she would defend them to the hilt without really understanding the source material).

Hopefully the guy who wrote the OP will realise that it's all just sacre-mongering and get a good nights sleep.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, I read the first few paragraphs of the article you posted, and the guy is correct: the Mayans and the Aztecs (and I think the Olmecs as well) had three different calendars. The one that every talks about (regarding the doomsday prediction) is the "long-count" calendar - which is fairly interesting, I suppose, since it's not a calendar that starts on a day and then measures all subsequent days in relation to that original day, but it starts at some point in the future and then goes backwards. That's how you get that completely arbitrary date in 2012 (I've heard various days/months, but always 2012) - you start there, and then work your way backwards.

As far as the calendar ending...It doesn't end. All it does is change from being 12.x.x.x.x to being 13.x.x.x.x - not that big of a difference. But, apparently, the change was regarded by the Mayans as something akin to a shift to a new age, or epoch, or whatever you want to call it. I like to think of it as the dawning of the "Age of Aquarius" - it's a real point in time when certain astronomical phenomena will change position, but anything more (like sudden world peace, or free ganja) is just stupid hippie mumbo-jumbo. Don't pay any attention to it.

My nomination for Best Post of 2007. :^::^:

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Way to fuck up the title of the thread.

YOU FAIL

necroSYS on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, I'm confused.
    Why is out magnetic field going to stop protecting us just because we shifted from top to bottom? And why is electricity gonna short out? And why is ANYTHING going to change?

I'm completely serious. Our position on the planet isn't going to change. Just our position in the universe.
    Which happens...well...every day.

Also: Re: The Mayans: Weren't they...er...what's the correct wording...
    "Raped and pillaged out of existence as the white man basically trampled their livelihood into the ground to make way for our own greedy needs"?
    So that might explain why the calender stops.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You're on crack.

The magnetosphere acts like a gigantic cow-pusher, using it's polarity to fend off high energy particles from coronal mass ejections as well as the solar wind.

However, a CME can come in at an opposing polarity and all the energy gets sucked straight down into the core, wreaking havoc on a global scale with electric circuits.

As for high energy radiation reaching the ground at the poles... there are huuuuuge friggin' holes in the Ozone there, remember?

Some of this makes sense, some of it is just gibberish.

Firstly, a magnetic field will deflect ionized (charged) particles no matter what the polarity - remember the right and left hand rules? CME's which cause issues are those with enough volume that a sizeable portion of particles make it to the ionosphere.

The ozone holes are our fault.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

But then again I might be on crack
    That is why the auroras exist. The radiation hits these weaknesses in the magnetosphere, and creates those lights in the sky. There are several protections from the solar wind: first, the magnetosphere, then the van allen radiation belts, the ionosphere, then the ozone, and THEN our atmosphere helps at the end. When the polarity shifts, we loose our fisrt line of defense against it, and since all these things work together IN HARMONY, it would expose us to MUCH more radiation than we're used to. It is one of the theories of the extinction of dinosaurs.

Curiosity gets the best of me, where exactly are you getting your science?

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "
    As for high energy radiation reaching the ground at the poles... there are huuuuuge friggin' holes in the Ozone there, remember?"

You uh... ever take physics past highschool?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is like the tenth fucking time the "Mayan Calender ends in 2012 oh shit" thread we've had in three months.

WHEN A CALENDER ENDS, A NEW ONE STARTS, IDIOTS.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seriously. Their fucking calendar was a wheel.

Now the great mystery of what happens when a wheel makes a complete rotation will be discovered.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    "
    As for high energy radiation reaching the ground at the poles... there are huuuuuge friggin' holes in the Ozone there, remember?"

You uh... ever take physics past highschool?

University level?

Go try sunbathing at the poles.

Che Guevara on
This discussion has been closed.