As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thanks Alpha

13»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Solved too quickly? It was already 4 days after April Fools when it was finally solved. Coupled with the mods killing everyone; if it hadn't been solved by that night, the forums would be rendered practically useless from all the killings. I think they pretty much killed everyone but like 10 people who had posted since April 1.
    Useless? If I'm not mistaken, we were still able to post without any lengthened post timer.

Everyone thought that it would last only April 1st. I remember a few people saying, "We don't have to solve anything, we just have to wait."

Saturday morning proved otherwise. But it was all fun.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Lizz the BlizzLizz the Blizz Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for going through the trouble of setting all of this up for us, Alpha, it was great fun :)

Lizz the Blizz on
  • Options
    Master ComputerMaster Computer Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Bitching aside thanks Aplha for putting in the effort to make an event, as sometimes you need something to stir it up.

People may not of liked it but at least it gave them something to bitch about.

Master Computer on
    1113904359102_17629_056.gif
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I <3 bitching

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    FenloreFenlore Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Did I mention I loved that, I really did, oh, and raijin killed me too.

Fenlore on
  • Options
    David ByrneDavid Byrne Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    I just wish I was able to participate in the IRC. For the strangest reason I could never connect to slashnet.

David Byrne on
    talkingheads.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I just wish I was able to participate in the IRC. For the strangest reason I could never connect to slashnet.

Yeah, I can't get on IRC here unless it is through a java client.

I was a mIRC junkie for years upon years. Java just doesn't cut it for me.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Thanks guys. It means a lot to me to know that you appreciated it. This year was a little bit different, as right as I set the whole thing into motion I had some relatives come into town and we did various things throughout the remainder of the weekend. So my posting was not as fluid as I would have liked it to be, and I couldn't shepard the event like I had planned.

All that said it turned out fairly well. I've come to the conclusion that everyone involved loved it and the opinions of everyone else were mixed. I realized that IRC was fairly exclusive, and I don't plan on using it again anytime soon. The next april fools prank (which I like Ramius' idea of waiting until after april fools to implement) will be different than our current setup. It will have signups and will be fairly straight forward.

I also have some more hijinks under my hat for this summer. If one of them works out with the other forums, it should be an awesome event.

If you guys have any more idea\constructive criticism\things I did well or not so well I'm all ears :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    And people say this forum isn't fun. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    scjohnnoscjohnno Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I'd just like to say that it's awesome that you guys are involved with the community like this. It's been alot of fun for me and I'm sure lots of other people, and it reminds us that you're fun people, as well as nazis. :P

scjohnno on
    ...a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it. - Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I think I bitched a lot without saying thanks, I guess I will say it now. It does take a lot of work to do something like this. Thank you for doing this for us.
    I like the idea of signing up, since many people wouldn't or couldn't participate and were left out of the "fun part". This way, people will only have the "annoying" part if they sign up for the other part (note- quotes because I disliked the "fun" part and liked the "annoying" part better) and deserve what they get. Of course, I would also dislike it if the benefits were too great, since it is exclusive based on interest. And there are a lot people with many different interests on this board. But that balance is ultimately up to the mods.
    One main problem I had was the one completely out of your control- I would suggest having a back-up person help if you make big changes to the forum again in case something does come up.
    Also, it was ambitious, but I like smaller pranks. It may be a personal preferance, but disrupting too much of the forum can cause pains that annoy people more, whereas small changes are seen as more "in good fun". While people could leave the forum if they wanted to, why encourage a mass exodus when you could just do it on a smaller scale, either in time length or amount of changes.
    So with this, I cringe a little at the word "event" in your post, Alpha. Oh man. That's all I'll say.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I think I bitched a lot without saying thanks, I guess I will say it now. It does take a lot of work to do something like this. Thank you for doing this for us.
    I like the idea of signing up, since many people wouldn't or couldn't participate and were left out of the "fun part". This way, people will only have the "annoying" part if they sign up for the other part (note- quotes because I disliked the "fun" part and liked the "annoying" part better) and deserve what they get. Of course, I would also dislike it if the benefits were too great, since it is exclusive based on interest. And there are a lot people with many different interests on this board. But that balance is ultimately up to the mods.
    One main problem I had was the one completely out of your control- I would suggest having a back-up person help if you make big changes to the forum again in case something does come up.
    Also, it was ambitious, but I like smaller pranks. It may be a personal preferance, but disrupting too much of the forum can cause pains that annoy people more, whereas small changes are seen as more "in good fun". While people could leave the forum if they wanted to, why encourage a mass exodus when you could just do it on a smaller scale, either in time length or amount of changes.
    So with this, I cringe a little at the word "event" in your post, Alpha. Oh man. That's all I'll say.
    preference

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Other people share the preference. So it depends on how many others there are, and whether people want to take it into account or not.
    But the main complaint I saw was the unreadability of the forums- if it had been lessened a bit, less people would have complained. It started small(some people didn't like the black and white), but the killings(with the text fades) became the "straw", so to speak, for more people.

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Other people share the preference. So it depends on how many others there are, and whether people want to take it into account or not.
    But the main complaint I saw was the unreadability of the forums- if it had been lessened a bit, less people would have complained. It started small(some people didn't like the black and white), but the killings(with the text fades) became the "straw", so to speak, for more people.
    I like how I can double entendre by just being a spelling nazi

But yeah, alpha knows now that segregation is for the benefit of society, which will solve the problem without having to do away with unreadability, which has always been the staple of april fool's jokes.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Thanks guys. It means a lot to me to know that you appreciated it. This year was a little bit different, as right as I set the whole thing into motion I had some relatives come into town and we did various things throughout the remainder of the weekend. So my posting was not as fluid as I would have liked it to be, and I couldn't shepard the event like I had planned.

All that said it turned out fairly well. I've come to the conclusion that everyone involved loved it and the opinions of everyone else were mixed. I realized that IRC was fairly exclusive, and I don't plan on using it again anytime soon. The next april fools prank (which I like Ramius' idea of waiting until after april fools to implement) will be different than our current setup. It will have signups and will be fairly straight forward.

I also have some more hijinks under my hat for this summer. If one of them works out with the other forums, it should be an awesome event.

If you guys have any more idea\constructive criticism\things I did well or not so well I'm all ears :wink:
    Everything was cool except for broken BBcode and my inability to get SNOW to work correctly.

I'd love to have something happen over the summer; just don't fuck up all the formatting. :)

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    I like how I can double entendre by just being a spelling nazi
    heh. Yeah, my spelling is awful- I didn't catch that.

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Event doesnt mean pirates coming in and hoarding away forumers, nor does it mean ninjas coming in and killing people. This one wont even make the forums less readable.

Thanks for the posts though. I don't expect everyone to like it. I like your idea of doing some small pranks. I have kind of put pranks on the back burner in leui of less downtime. Once we stabalize my job will be much easier and I will be able to spend more time chatting and having fun small pranks instead of running around putting out fires.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    Alpha, your avatar doesn't seem to be cycling.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    FAUrrego wrote:
    Alpha, your avatar doesn't seem to be cycling.
    Oops. Thanks for telling me :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Everyone thought that it would last only April 1st. I remember a few people saying, "We don't have to solve anything, we just have to wait."

Well, I said that, but that's because I knew we had to wait for AlphaBot to post the next translation and had a feeling that Alpha had something come up...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    murder.gif
    I'm going to haunt you alpha...

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Well, I said that, but that's because I knew we had to wait for AlphaBot to post the next translation and had a feeling that Alpha had something come up...
    Speaking of which, how much did you really know?

Paladin on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    murder.gif
    I'm going to haunt you alpha...
    :lol:

Henroid on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2005
    Okay, well, I'm not going to make a new post about it, but problem I made a new thread for here already is preventing me from viewing that same topic.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I was waiting for someone else to sig it for a while, but I didn't see anyone so I win.

Knowing my luck someone else did and I missed it.

-Edit-

Forgot sigs are still borked. :(

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Did anyone actually translate the scroll itself, or was the whole thing a red herring while AlphaBOT gave us the real deal?

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Thanks Alpha.

THIS IS A TEST AND A THANK YOU!

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Makershot wrote:
    Did anyone actually translate the scroll itself, or was the whole thing a red herring while AlphaBOT gave us the real deal?
    redherring.jpg

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Makershot wrote:
    redherring.jpg

That version was superior to the original series

FyreWulff on