As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ps2 on a laptop?

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Is there any way to hook up my ps2 to my laptop through the s-video or anything?

chuck steak on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your laptop would have to have an S-video input. What it probably has is an S-video output.

If your laptop has some sort of video input, which--unless you bought one specifically for this purpose--I doubt it does, you can. Otherwise, no, not really, though someone probably makes some kind of crazy Composite->USB adapter that might let you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    You'll need an external USB video capture unit. These are easily purchased but typically cost probably $50 or more.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've heard many of the USB capture units have considerable lag to them so that's something to watch out for if purchasing one.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have one of these and it works great. I only get a little lag because my laptop is so old.
    http://www.buy.com/prod/adaptec-avc-1400-usb-2-0-gamebridge/q/loc/101/202149120.html

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have one of these and it works great. I only get a little lag because my laptop is so old.
    http://www.buy.com/prod/adaptec-avc-1400-usb-2-0-gamebridge/q/loc/101/202149120.html

Would my relatively newer computer (ATI X1600, 2.0ghz Core Duo, 1.5gb RAM) face more lag? I would definitely be interested in getting something like this if it ran well. I'm not really that nitpicky about about response (I can't even tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps).

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Response time and FPS are a bit different.

When I tried this via my PC, (TV tuner card) it made the games unplayable, unless they were turn based (so FFX was fine. Ace Combat, eh not so much).

Definitely try it but hang onto that recepit.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Your laptop would have to have an S-video input. What it probably has is an S-video output.

If your laptop has some sort of video input, which--unless you bought one specifically for this purpose--I doubt it does, you can. Otherwise, no, not really, though someone probably makes some kind of crazy Composite->USB adapter that might let you.

Actually, they do make such beasties (I actually have one in my laptop bag at the moment.)

Edit: For the perpetually nosy, the device I have is called the Adaptec GameBridge. It hooks to USB 2.0, and can support either composite or S-Video. I've actually run my Wii on it, and it works well.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To resurrect the thread, one last question: Would the Adaptec GameBridge work on a Macbook Pro?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To resurrect the thread, one last question: Would the Adaptec GameBridge work on a Macbook Pro?

I'm curious to know this too, I gots me an iMac

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    saltiness wrote: »
    I've heard many of the USB capture units have considerable lag to them so that's something to watch out for if purchasing one.

Specifically, if the card calls itself a PVR unit or anything like that, it is one of the ones with bad lag. (Perfectly fine for TV, though.)

evilmrhenry on