Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Phallian [Phalla] - Game Over: GOOD GUY VICTORY!!

visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Archives
Whispers of sound float through your head. You don't remember much...a power outage? A shadow? F5?

Your eyes open and you look around you. You're lying in a large gymnasium, filled with other people. Everybody is whispering to each other; some people are shaking hands in greeting. As you get to your feet, your hand brushes against cold metal encircling your waist. Puzzled, you attempt to take a closer look at it, but the angle is weird and you can't see much. You do notice, however, that others are wearing the same thing. You are about to introduce yourself and ask someone what's going on when you hear the PA system crackle above you.

"Greetings, Phallaneers! What a pleasure it is to see you! I have looked forward to this moment for a long time.

You are all probably wondering what you're doing here. That is a good question. You see, I have found myself rather obsessed with Phalla. I enjoy it so much that I thought to myself, wouldn't it be grand if I could run a real, live Phalla? Yes, ingenious I know. So that's what you are. Allow me to explain some of the features of the technology you are currently wearing.

Around your waist, you will see a metal belt. This is unremovable. This belt is very useful. If you punch the black button on the top, you will notice that it ejects a small drawer. In this drawer, you will find an earpiece. Put the earpiece in your ear and push the yellow button on your belt; you will hear your role. I will give you a few moments to listen to this."

Rather confused, you follow the instructions, and your role is whispered into your ear. When it is finished, you shrug and take it out.

"Finished? Good! You may listen to it again if you didn't get it the first time. When you are sure you know your role, you may push the small black switch on the side of the earpiece. This will scramble the message so nobody else knows what your role is.

Now then, push the green button on your belt. You will see another drawer open, this one containing a headset. Put the headset on; this is how you will communicate your orders to us, should you have any special abilities. This is also how you transmit your vote. At any point, you may request a summary of who has voted for whom over the course of the game.

One last thing about the belt. If you are so unfortunate as to lose the vote, this will be the method of your death." A chill fell across the room. The voice chuckled over the PA. "Oh yes, we are deadly serious. If you are killed in this game, you will be killed in real life. Charming, isn't it?"

One of the people in the room yells angrily. "Fuck this shit. I didn't sign up for this. I'm not gonna play your dumbass game." Crossing his arms, he sits down in the middle of the floor, refusing to move.

"Mmmm, I see," says the voice. "So you're dropping out then?"

"Yeah, I'm dropping out!"

"Okay then. Tofu, is it? Thank you for allowing me to provide a demonstration!"

"A demonstration?" Tofu says. "A demonstration of what? I'm not giving no demonstr--"

The belt around his waist begins to beep. Tofu stares down at it in terror, and people begin moving away from him, sensing danger. The beeping increases in frequency, and Tofu gets more and more agitated. He stands up and begins scraping desperately at the belt, trying to get it off. Suddenly, the beeping stops, and a large light in the middle of the belt turns bright red. Tofu breathes a sigh of relief and turns to the others. "See? He's just bullsh--"

BOOM!

An explosion rips out of the belt, severing Tofu in half. His torso falls to the ground, and his lower body topples over. Sobbing, he tries to use his arms to move him towards his legs, but gradually his sobs subside and he lies still.

The voice speaks into the horrified silence. "See? Deadly serious. Well, I think that's all. You have the full range of this school. Don't try to escape or you're end up like Tofu here. Have fun kids!"

The PA clicks off. Nobody speaks for several seconds. Then people begin scrambling for the doors leading out of the gynasium. Not wanting to be left behind, you join one of the groups and head into the hallway.

The game has begun.

visiblehowl on
DogSig.gif

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's interesting. Not 30 minutes in and there's a liason bandwagon already?

steam_sig.png
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Clarification: Bad guy roles were distributed randomly. The bad guys are not determined by which role they got.

And while I'm at it...

Clarification: There are 8 bad guys.
    Well fuck. Fucky fucky fu.

I have a blog. Read it. Blog-reading makes you pretty and popular.
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    what is the vote count so far?

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Guys really

they advised me to contact him

rainydoo1rv3.jpg

That's an interesting ninja edit.

What's he hiding...

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    Elendil is probably me. Wanting to be elected and claiming that he's awesome? That's essentially my MO.
    You hardly have the monopoly on that market.

I've been strutting around proclaiming my awesome since Newham.

Per3th.jpg
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Man, I think Squash is bitter at me.

Preacher wrote: »
    Something tells me this story ends up with Ballbaggins fucking his house again.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think Squashua accidentally outed his role in that image, because I saw a name that was censored. Whoops, Squashua!

edited July 2007
    what is the vote count so far?

You're pretty much dead.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Guys really

rainydoo1rv3.jpg

What's he hiding...

a rule about naming oneself.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I doubt that, because the name he blacked out doesn't participate in Phallas.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sure, I can go with a vote for Gnasty for Liaison.

Everybody who's Aroduc, raise your hand.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys really

rainydoo1rv3.jpg

What's he hiding...

Maybe it's better to ask what he's not hiding.

Man, I'm rusty from inactivity. Gotta ease myself back into these things.

chirisigtext.png
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Clarification please. If we guess someone's role and that role doesn't even exist, are will still penalized? Second, can we guess once per day? Once per game? Only once every other day if we are wrong?

edited July 2007
    I doubt that, because the name he blacked out doesn't participate in Phallas.

Participating in this phalla is how I rebel.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    edited July 2007
    !vote Gnasty, but I propose you ask for some details on the roles in the game pertaining to the people who've signed up.

Such as whether or not every player here has a role pertaining to them or not.
    (And vice-versa; roles relating to players who didn't sign up.)

And this would be a clarification question, but I don't think it'd get answered.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude, squashua, that is one of the more suspicious Day One things I've seen.

edited July 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Dude, squashua, that is one of the more suspicious Day One things I've seen.

I shouldn't even be posting here. This might get me banned. Or infracted.

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Clarification please. If we guess someone's role and that role doesn't even exist, are will still penalized? Second, can we guess once per day? Once per game? Only once every other day if we are wrong?

Clarification: Yes, you are still penalized. You can make as many guesses as you want per day. Guesses may not be retracted, however. You may only make one guess per person (i.e. you can't !guess that visiblehowl is DevoutlyApathetic and then !guess that visiblehowl is tofu)

DogSig.gif
    edited July 2007
    CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER

I vote Squashua.

edited July 2007
    Squashua is really hinting at his role. I think that means he wants us to guess what his role is. That might end poorly

edited July 2007
    DËTHKÖK wrote: »
    Squashua is really hinting at his role. I think that means he wants us to guess what his role is. That might end poorly

It might, depending on your own role. It always ends up good for me though.

Take the cheese. I dare you. :winky:

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    edited July 2007

Clarification: Yes, you are still penalized. You can make as many guesses as you want per day. Guesses may not be retracted, however. You may only make one guess per person (i.e. you can't !guess that visiblehowl is DevoutlyApathetic and then !guess that visiblehowl is tofu)

So just to make this clear, if I guessed on everyone but was correct once, I can't be killed the next day other than by the vote, right?

Second, if I guessed everyone as Aroduc, I'd be right 1/50 times. Is that allowable?

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    !vote Gnasty, but I propose you ask for some details on the roles in the game pertaining to the people who've signed up.

And this would be a clarification question, but I don't think it'd get answered.

We don't need to bother asking that because we already know the answer. Aroduc isn't playing but is a role, which means at least one person who is playing isn't a role. There's several other likely roles I can think of that aren't in the player list.

• MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Squashua, I'm not completely in love with your tone right now.

Preacher wrote: »
    Something tells me this story ends up with Ballbaggins fucking his house again.
    edited July 2007
    Smasher wrote: »

We don't need to bother asking that because we already know the answer. Aroduc isn't playing but is a role, which means at least one person who is playing isn't a role. There's several other likely roles I can think of that aren't in the player list.

But we could get some specifics. How many roles are of players not in the game? How many players don't have roles being used in this game? Etc.

fiV9i14.jpg
    edited July 2007
    If I wanted to guess on Squashua based upon his hints as truthful hints, I'd say Munkus Beaver or Drez.

However, I think it would be a better use of time to find someone who consistently lies and changes their avatar as the role I'd guess him to be. ElJeffe might be a good start. Second, look at his title, that may be an actual hint whereas his banter is not.

edited July 2007

So just to make this clear, if I guessed on everyone but was correct once, I can't be killed the next day other than by the vote, right?

Second, if I guessed everyone as Aroduc, I'd be right 1/50 times. Is that allowable?

That's a good point. Allow me to reconsider this.

DogSig.gif
    edited July 2007
    Okay, guys, I think we should look at the mechanics here and assess a few things:

1) This is not a typical Phalla. Even if the existential aspect didn't exist, it would still be a bit different from other Phallas, at least those I've participated in.

2) The existential aspect to this Phalla is very important, and it is important to keep this in mind. We should assume a few things. One, that people were told to act out a role of another prominent Phalla player (I know, I am just stating the obvious here). Two, that the participants may or may not need to act out that role with every post. While I think acting "in character" in every post is where the spirit of this game lies, it doesn't necessarily follow that everyone would be forced to do this, because the ability for someone to be intimately aware with the posting and general Phalla habits of the role they were assigned to is low. It is highly possible, though, that assigned roles require some varying degree of roleplay.

3) We should assume that even the best among us are acting out characterizations or possibly outright mockeries of their assigned role, either through lack of ability to act properly, or because that is what their role entails. There may even be a "role miller" of sorts - not narration-wise because apparently dead players will not be linked to their roles - but insofar that someone's role may be to convince everyone that they are someone else. Keep that in mind.

4) I think it may be helpful to do what Ardor did in the signup thread and think about how DevoutlyApathetic and Visiblehowl might interpret our personalities into roles, so we can analyze posts against our own self-characterizations.

Unless that's not allowed: clarify please?

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    But that sketch he posted is reminiscent of SE++. Are there any people from there active enough to get used as a role?

fiV9i14.jpg
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would assume Aroduc is a bad guy otherwise whoever is Aroduc should reveal themselves so we can vote them out and get whatever the special "something" is (unless the something is that all of those who vote for him die).

!vote gnasty gnasty is as good of a choice as any right now, though if he veto's the vote he should have some explaining to do.

edited July 2007
    Well, he already posted his role in that image. I saw it before he censored it (because he's not allowed to tell people his role.)
    It's pretty fucking clear he wants us to guess his role, and I think it's pretty clear that we shouldn't

• FrosteeyFrosteey 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The rationale for voting Gnasty is a bit misguided. Gnasty is a bit misguided, too. Rethink the lime votes, folks.

frosteey.gif
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User
    edited July 2007
    I would assume Aroduc is a bad guy otherwise whoever is Aroduc should reveal themselves so we can vote them out and get whatever the special "something" is (unless the something is that all of those who vote for him die).

!vote gnasty gnasty is as good of a choice as any right now, though if he veto's the vote he should have some explaining to do.

We aren't allowed to reveal who we are, so the Aroduc person couldn't even do that if they wanted to.

i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited July 2007
    But that sketch he posted is reminiscent of SE++. Are there any people from there active enough to get used as a role?

I am fairly active in SE++ and I do not see any correlation between Squashua's MS Paint art and anyone on the roster of this Phalla, but I'll look through the list again.

steam_sig.png
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    The rationale for voting Gnasty is a bit misguided. Gnasty is a bit misguided, too. Rethink the lime votes, folks.

I am misguided?! I am the most guided person here! I am like a GPS system of awesomeness!

i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Okay, guys, I think we should look at the mechanics here and assess a few things:

1) This is not a typical Phalla. Even if the existential aspect didn't exist, it would still be a bit different from other Phallas, at least those I've participated in.

2) The existential aspect to this Phalla is very important, and it is important to keep this in mind. We should assume a few things. One, that people were told to act out a role of another prominent Phalla player (I know, I am just stating the obvious here). Two, that the participants may or may not need to act out that role with every post. While I think acting "in character" in every post is where the spirit of this game lies, it doesn't necessarily follow that everyone would be forced to do this, because the ability for someone to be intimately aware with the posting and general Phalla habits of the role they were assigned to is low. It is highly possible, though, that assigned roles require some varying degree of roleplay.

3) We should assume that even the best among us are acting out characterizations or possibly outright mockeries of their assigned role, either through lack of ability to act properly, or because that is what their role entails. There may even be a "role miller" of sorts - not narration-wise because apparently dead players will not be linked to their roles - but insofar that someone's role may be to convince everyone that they are someone else. Keep that in mind.

4) I think it may be helpful to do what Ardor did in the signup thread and think about how DevoutlyApathetic and Visiblehowl might interpret our personalities into roles, so we can analyze posts against our own self-characterizations.

Unless that's not allowed: clarify please?

You can analyze all you want. Just don't reveal the name of your role.

If you're skating too close to the edge of revealing the name of your role, you'll get a warning before we take serious action against you.

DogSig.gif
    edited July 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

We aren't allowed to reveal who we are, so the Aroduc person couldn't even do that if they wanted to.
    But someone could claim to be the Aroduc role, by saying "Hey, everyone, vote for me" with a little bit of wink wink nudge nudging.

Of course, you'd have to assume that the person in question is Aroduc, and isn't someone with a 'Die Night 1 by Vote" win criteria (if such a thing existed)

And seriously, stop trying to find out Squashua's role. It's a bad idea. He wants us to guess it. Don't do that

edited July 2007

That's a good point. Allow me to reconsider this.

I'll be honest. If I were you, I would say both the vote and execution can go through this special privaledge and/or you should limit the amount of guesses one can have in a day.

edited July 2007
    I think it will be helpful to keep tabs on how people are roleplaying. For instance:

cheez: Grammar nazi.
    Gnasty: Full of himself.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    rainy2fh4.jpg
    vote count?

humebackgroundcj5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.