As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Shmups/Run n Gun thread (Be attitude for gains!)

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Ikaruga, yeah. Radiant Silvergun, uh huh.

Now that that's out of the way...

I've become a bit obsessed with collecting shmups as of late. Like, I dunno. Really really obsessed. I've been playing back through Panzer Dragoon Orta (and Saga, just cause), and I think I'm going to dive into eBay and grab the first two Panzer Dragoon games as well.

I even have a friend of mine in Japan run by Akihabara to see if he can grab me both Thunderforce collections on the Saturn, as well as the Saturn Thunderforce V.

I almost imported Karaous for the Dreamcast before I found out that it was coming to the Wii. I think I'm going to put in a bid for Chaos Field on the Gamecube, and I'm currently trying to find a box and manual for my copy of Ikaruga (eBay seller screwed me).

Yesterday, I won a copy of RayCrisis. Never played any of the Ray games, and IGN gave this one a good review. I know for a fact that I need Einhander, and my local Gamestop has both Raiden III and RType Final. So... I'll be busy with shmups lately. I'm really anxious to get Thunderforce V, though.

Anyone have any recs on a good two player game? I know, I know. Blasphemy and all, but Ikaruga really is a fun game in two player once both players get the routine down, and I'd like to find a game that works similarly.

Sheep on

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Everyone complains about all the TG-16 shmups on the Wii's Virtual Console, but it's just rich soil ready for farming to me. <3 Most of my VC and XBLA collection is made up of shmups, and while I consider myself fairly good at vertical bullet-hell shmups for some reason I can not survive for 10 minutes while playing R-Type III. Something about it just mystifies me.

I have Chaos Field for GC, and I've played it a sum total of about four times. It's not that it's really bad, it's just ... very middle of the road. It doesn't really grab me for any reason.

I also rebought (after previously selling) Nanostray for the DS, in anticipation for the upcoming Nanostray 2, and it's not as nearly as bad as I initially thought it was. The touchscreen controls are still clumsy as hell but overall it's still quite enjoyable.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • NeenerNeenerNeenerNeener Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Under Defeat. Excellent helicopter shmup for the Dreamcast, with 2-player.

Border Down is by the same team and supposedly awesome as well, but I've never played it.

Also, if you like Panzer Dragoon, you'd probably enjoy Sin and Punishment for the N64. It's an over-the-shoulder 3D shooter developed by Treasure, but it's on rails and the only movement controls are jumping and dodging. It's a bit hampered by the undesirable N64 analog stick, though.

Anyway, these are the only two shmups I've personally bothered importing. Sin and Punishment I was lucky to find used and complete, and I bought Under Defeat when it was still available new. So, good luck there.

NeenerNeener on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I see Under Defeat pop up from time to time, but I don't have a modded or Japanese Dreamcast. Might need to look into grabbing one, but I'm not sure. I may just stick with my US Saturn and just grab the 5 in 1 cart, though I'd love having a skeleton Saturn just to have.
    Everyone complains about all the TG-16 shmups on the Wii's Virtual Console, but it's just rich soil ready for farming to me. Most of my VC and XBLA collection is made up of shmups, and while I consider myself fairly good at vertical bullet-hell shmups for some reason I can not survive for 10 minutes while playing R-Type III. Something about it just mystifies me.

Didn't Solider Blade come out yesterday?

Also, good work on that Metroid retrospective! Highlight of my Mondays.

Sheep on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Needs more dreamcast and saturn shooter love. Especially if you like the capcom shooters.

solsovly on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anybody else purchase Raiden III then play it once and pretty much not touch it again?

ArcticXC on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Anybody else purchase Raiden III then play it once and pretty much not touch it again?

I rented it, played it once, and didn't touch it again.

Controlling two ships was rad, but no homing laser sucked.

Tiemler on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Everyone download Warning Forever (put it into google, I can't link it where I am atm)

LewieP on
    edited July 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warning_Forever

There's also another anime inspired, and even freeware, shmup for the PC floating around the net. Someone linked me to them, but I dunno if I could run them on my Mac under Crossover or not, so I never checked them out.

Sheep on
  • D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

I rented it, played it once, and didn't touch it again.

Controlling two ships was rad, but no homing laser sucked.

Bought it, played it, got pissed at it for not coming close to 1+2, then started playing it again a month later after I found you could save replays. Now Im obsessed trying to get perfect playthroughs to save...

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    I see Under Defeat pop up from time to time, but I don't have a modded or Japanese Dreamcast. Might need to look into grabbing one, but I'm not sure. I may just stick with my US Saturn and just grab the 5 in 1 cart, though I'd love having a skeleton Saturn just to have.
    Everyone complains about all the TG-16 shmups on the Wii's Virtual Console, but it's just rich soil ready for farming to me. Most of my VC and XBLA collection is made up of shmups, and while I consider myself fairly good at vertical bullet-hell shmups for some reason I can not survive for 10 minutes while playing R-Type III. Something about it just mystifies me.

Didn't Solider Blade come out yesterday?

Also, good work on that Metroid retrospective! Highlight of my Mondays.
    You're in the U.S., right? Soldier Blade has been out for months -- it's actually my favorite VC shmup right now, although I haven't picked too much up in the past few months. I'm really curious about Air Zonk for some reason, but I think it's almost universally panned. :(

Also, now that Geometry Wars is available on PC everyone with the means should give it a shot. Really one of the finest twin-stick shooters I've played in a long time.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This thread needs more Touhou. I've been playing Imperishable Night for most of this summer and it is delicious.

setrajonas on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    setrajonas wrote: »
    This thread needs more Touhou. I've been playing Imperishable Night for most of this summer and it is delicious.

This thread needs 75% more Touhou.

Touhou.jpg

I love these games to death, the absolute best shooter I have ever played, ever ever ever. But my computer is fucking worthless right now, I can't even play these games. I got a cheap ATI card just so I could play this, but after playing for 5 minutes, the game slows down to 1 - 5 FPS. I should have gotten the more expensive card.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2007

Anyone have any recs on a good two player game? I know, I know. Blasphemy and all, but Ikaruga really is a fun game in two player once both players get the routine down, and I'd like to find a game that works similarly.

Phantasmagoria of Flower View.

And that's such an easy card. Most of the rhythm ones are. Now... Eirin's Lunatic cards... and all their interlocking nonsense... ugh.

Aroduc on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This thread needs more Contra III

Fix'd.

RichardTauber on
  • .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If your into importing Saturn shmups then be sure to grab Shienryu and Soukyugurentai.

.la1n on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wartech Senko no Ronde for the 360 is a great SHMUP like game as well. I took a chance on it and I'm loving the game.

You can check out a review here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=76722

Bamelin on
    edited July 2007

That's the one that was recommended.

I don't imagine any of the newer games will run on either of my Mac/PC.

Sheep on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2007

That's the one that was recommended.

I don't imagine any of the newer games will run on either of my Mac/PC.

Actually, at least the demo of the most recent one is a hell of a lot less system intensive than Imperishable Night thanks to tightened code and whatnot.
    http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/th10dl.html

Also of note, a week or two back, Zun released an updated demo which adds back in grazing and some other very slight tweaks.

Aroduc on
    edited July 2007
    Well, I have a Duo Core 2 Mac. They might run under Crossover.

However, my only PC is a 500MHz Athlon with a TNT2 card.

D:

This thread sadly reminds me of the cruel fate of the R-13 Cerberus. :-(

Sheep on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The demo for 10 doesn't work on my computer, but I love Perfect Cherry Blossom and havn't played too much of Imperishable Night cause I thought I'd try to beat Cherry without continues before I moved on... can't make it past the start of stage 4 on normal with 3 lives and no continues.

Burtletoy on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The demo for 10 doesn't work on my computer, but I love Perfect Cherry Blossom and havn't played too much of Imperishable Night cause I thought I'd try to beat Cherry without continues before I moved on... can't make it past the start of stage 4 on normal with 3 lives and no continues.

PCB has two extra modes above and beyond the regular six stages. :P Imperishable Night is actually a little bit easier than PCB I'd say. It's a lot more elegant in execution at the cost of a bit of challenge.

Though Stage 4 is pretty easy once you learn to stop spazzing out and make small movements. Almost everything in the stage itself is targetted at you, so if you're flying all over the place, shots get everywhere. If you just slowly move around and dodge minimally, then it's simple.

Aroduc on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Why do any other dreamcast games exist besides under defeat.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2007
    Woo.

Won Chaos Field for less than 10 bucks. Gonna swing by GameStop tonight and see what Gradius V, Raiden III, and RType Final are goin for.

Sheep on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PCB has its charms, but I definitely agree that the mechanics of IN were much more refined, especially with regard to item collection. Also, the music of IN is incredible.

setrajonas on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Why do any other dreamcast games exist besides under defeat.
    I actually liked Mars Matrix better. But I think Under Defeat is the most graphically advanced shmup ever made, by far. Gameplay-wise, Zero Gunner 2 is probably the best out of those three.

FreddyD on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2007
    PCB has its charms, but I definitely agree that the mechanics of IN were much more refined, especially with regard to item collection. Also, the music of IN is incredible.

I hold a special place in my heart for Aya's theme personally.

Aroduc on
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It doesn't look like it's been mentioned, but check out the Alien Syndrome thread. It's a great new run n gun/dungeon crawler. It's also 4 player coop with great smash tv esque controls.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Too bad some great arcade Shmups never got ported (over here, anyways). I love Guwange and Do Don Pachi.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    G Darius is a good 2-player horizontal shmup.

And it's readily available and super-cheap on the Taito Legends 2 disc.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mentioned before but I must say Border Down is by far my favourite Shmup.

Don't expect to find it cheap though just as a warning.

Radient Silvergun is excellent but not really worth the money it costs at the moment.

Gradius V is a must purchase not besides its one of the finest games ever mae but is also still relativly low price.

Ziggymon on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What are the best bang/buck games to get for shmups/run'n'guns?

Capcom Classics Collection Vol 1
    Taito Legends Vol 2
    Gradius III and IV

Those are some good ones that I have. I also recommend Konami Arcade Classics for the DS, because it has portable Contra and Gradius arcades, as well as tons of other cool games.

What else? How are CCC Vol 2 and Taito Legends 1?

My personal favorite shmups/rungunners are:

Gradius V
    Castle Shikigami 2
    Alien Hominid
    Metal Slug 2
    Gradius
    Contra 1
    Legendary Wings

But I also love Gradius III and IV, Raiden 3, RType Final, Life Force, the Touhou shmups, the Ray shooters, the Darius shooters, and more that I can't remember right now.

slash000 on
    edited August 2007
    Anybody else catch this?

http://dory.mncast.com/mncHMovie.swf?movieID=10036889020070730170931

Might be a bit slow, or try reloading it or something, but it's basically a Korean MMOShmup of sorts. Neat idea, but probably terrible in reality. Also, skip to like 2:00 or 2:30 to get past all the boring crap.

ArcticXC on
    edited August 2007
    Also Rob on the shmups.com forum is awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBfaEl2tHP8

ArcticXC on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Woo.

Won Chaos Field for less than 10 bucks. Gonna swing by GameStop tonight and see what Gradius V, Raiden III, and RType Final are goin for.

If they havent changed much in the past few days: 16.99, 29.99(new), 11.99 respectivly

ronzo on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This thread needs more Contra III

Fix'd.

OMG, I may never beat that game with a final boss having that much health! I'm still on Easy/7 lives just to get a feel for the game and I can only barely make it to the winged beast on level 6. Perhaps I should be rocking the C-weapon more often, but I just love the Flamethrower/Heat Seeker combo (with occasional Laser on top-down levels). But how the hell did he switch weapons so quickly like that?

As for other shmups (and others not so shmup/run n gun), I'd like to point you toward this thread on Platformers.
    http://www.platformers.net/forum/index.php?topic=1310.0

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2007
    That reminds me... Comiket72 is in two and a half weeks. Though I haven't had a chance to go through the CD yet... I am looking forward to Studio Siesta's latest game, Trouble Witches... and obviously Mountain of Faith. Sooooo keeping my fingers crossed for a Scarlet Weather Rhapsody demo.

Aroduc on
    edited August 2007
    Also Rob on the shmups.com forum is awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBfaEl2tHP8

For some reason, my eMail was banned from their forum. And I don't know why. I can't register.

EDIT

"It's like playing Tetris and making pretty pictures. You're missing the point, you idiot."

Sheep on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DoDonPachi

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Capcom Classics Collection 1 is also pretty good. It contains:

1943 Kai
    Commando
    Exed Exes
    Forgotten Worlds
    Legendary Wings
    Section Z

I grabbed a big PS1 shmup game auction off of Ebay not long ago. One of the games in it is Sol Divide; a unique fantasy themed shooter. Nothing overly special about the game, but it really grabbed me as I was playing through the game checking them out, for some reason . .

The Burnin8or on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    g07510p3szp.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop