As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flight Sim Extravaganza

PolishElvisPolishElvis Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Flight Sims. Some poeple love 'em, others find them intolorable. This thread is for you to post your favorite sims, screens, and stories as long as they involve the act of flying.

I'll list some of my favorite sims:
Jane's USAF
hbhggxztra.jpg
Wikipedia says:
Jane's USAF is a military jet aircraft era Combat flight simulation video game set between the Vietnam War conflict to the modern day. The combat flight simulation is a survey simulation but featuring good photorealistic graphics and decent flight models.The simulation features 7 stock player flyable aircraft such as the F-105 Thunderchief, F4 PhantomE II, F-16C Fighting Falcon, F-15C Eagle, F-15E Strike Eagle, A-10 Thunderbolt IIA, F-117A Nighthawk and the F-22A Raptor as the stock planes in the basic simulation
This game has some problems with running on XP, but third party patchs ae avaible to remedy these problems. My Favorite sim because of the sweet SuperPro 9.4 mod , which adds hundreds of flyable jets and helicopters, as well as plenty of missions.

Enemy Engaged: Apache Havoc and Comanche Hokum
Enemy_Engaged_Comanche_Hokum_screenshot1.jp
Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum is a attack helicopter simulation game. The game was a follow up to Enemy Engaged: Apache vs Havoc, and interconnectable with it. It was developed by Razorworks. The source code has been released and has since then resulted in a heavily modified game [1]. Enemy Engaged 2 is its sequel.

An excellent helicopter sim, with a great mod communtity which provides graphics on par with the sequal and content that surpasses it.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Image:FSXseaplane.jpg
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (known in the Flight Simulator community also as simply FSX, of which the X is pronounced ten, as in the Roman numeral) is the latest version of Microsoft Flight Simulator after Flight Simulator 2004. It includes a graphics engine upgrade as well as compatibility with Windows Vista, having been hailed by Microsoft as the most important technological milestone in the series to date. It is the first version in the flight simulator series to be released on DVD-ROM.

A nice break from combat flying, but its graphics can cripple your hardware.

FSXseaplane.jpg

PolishElvis on

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No X-Plane? :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anything big happen with x-plane lately? I haven't paid any attention to flight simming in general let alone x-plane in like a year or more. I always liked x-plane, but MSFS is so polished...

Stregone on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh, I couldn't tell you. I haven't played X-Plane in a year or more. I just remember it being pretty awesome. As far as flight sims go, I've been looking for a new one, that's just a tad bit more on the Arcadey side of things. Not, like, Ace Combat, but not Flight Sim X, either. I didn't like FSX at all. My favorite flight sim of all time was still the original F/A-18 Hornet on my old Macintosh Performa.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've just recently built a powerful new pc. Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair PC6400, GeForce 8800 GTS. Three days ago, I bought FSX.

It makes my pc cry.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A-10 Cuba. So many hours spent goofing around in the demo, such good times.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    I've just recently built a powerful new pc. Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair PC6400, GeForce 8800 GTS. Three days ago, I bought FSX.

It makes my pc cry.

D:

How is that possible?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You forgot LOCK ON: Modern Air Combat
    dogfight.jpg
    ScreenShot_026.jpg

Possibly the hard-corest of the hard-core

Bearcat on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The great thing about LockOn Gold is that it's really damn hardcore, but it's also fun to play. I just boot it up and play the quick missions, they're really cool.

I love landing them planes.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It makes my pc cry.

Did you download FSX SP1? It's supposed to optimize it a bit.

I actually earned a free copy of FSX from http://club.live.com/. It's been a month and I still haven't gotten it in the mail. I'm beginning to think that site is a scam.

xraydog on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

It makes my pc cry.

D:

How is that possible?

Custom PC Magazine in the UK gave Scan, an online computer parts retailer, the challenge of putting together a computer that could run FSX at it's highest possible details. Here's what they had -

Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme QX6700
    4GB Corsair XMS2-6400
    GeForce 8800 Ultra

And even that beast couldn't run the game at it's best. In fact, here's the article -

The ultimate FSX PC

Going back on-topic, they also did an excellent feature based on the Flight Simulator series over the years, and here it is -

Flight For Your Life

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No X-Plane? :(

I love me some X-Plane (I actually have the Version 8 World DVD set), but it definitely lacks the polish that Microsoft's flight simulator offers. I think this is due to the fact that X-Plane is done by a very small team. One of my biggest annoyances with it is the fact that they don't seem to use much real-world terrain; and what they do use is tiled repeatedly. It's pretty obvious when you're flying around Cleveland and realize that we don't have that many baseball stadiums and they don't line up in a grid. It definitely pulls me out of the immersion.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png