As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bridge collapse in Minneapolis

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse/

Map coordinates of the bridge: 44.979240, -93.244770

Anyone have any news on this?

MKR on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Radio said 8 people dead and a schoolbus nearly went over the edge. 'course, they also said it was in Mississippi...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think you heard that it was on the Mississippi. Minneapolis/St.Paul straddles it.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    The bridge collapsed and fell into the Mississippi River.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's the state that looks like a boot.

MKR on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Radio said 8 people dead and a schoolbus nearly went over the edge. 'course, they also said it was in Mississippi...

Minnesota, but the bridge goes over the Mississippi river.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    aha, makes sense.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bridge collapses in Minneapolis, and no one's there to hear it.

Does it make a sound?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Podly wrote: »

Does it make a sound?

"Kersploosh"

MKR on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Podly wrote: »

Does it make a sound?

I'm pretty sure the 100 cars on the bridge at the time heard it.

What's left of them, anyway.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So The Daily Show starts filming at 7.

They had a full hour to come up with something for this. Think they'll have something?

MKR on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    I don't think so; there's very little to say about this in the DS that won't be unnecessarily assholish.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MKR wrote: »

They had a full hour to come up with something for this. Think they'll have something?
    It happened after 6 Central, which is after 7 Eastern.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MKR wrote: »

Oh wow.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So when I got home from work and saw this on the news I thought something along the lines of "Those dark wizards are torturing us muggles again."

And then I realized I'm a bad person.

And that I'm reading way too much Harry Potter.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, is it bad that after I called my Mom to make sure she was alright(they were driving around the twin cities) the first thing I thought was "Traffic's gonna be a bitch".

I don't drive over that bridge often, only to get to the airport. I do drive over another bridge over the Mississippi river on my way to work though.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    How does traffic in Minneapolis/St.Paul work? Does everyone commute into Minneapolis then go back over to St.Paul where the 'burbs are or something?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Before and after pics, just for reference. I was sorta confused about the scale of the bridge, and what kind of construction it was, until I found these.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited August 2007
    This is some crazy shit. I feel for the victims of this incident.. I don't know why, I usually don't care when it comes to a lot of the bullshit I see on the news but there's something about this that just strikes me as, "Well damn." Those poor people never saw it coming. Of course everyone is now going to attempt to find someone to blame, naturally.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Apparently there was construction being done on the bridge at the time. Oh, how the blame will fall like rain.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm thinking, from the After pic that Veegeezee linked, that they should be real glad nothing collapsed on and ruptured that tanker car of whatever nastiness it's carrying.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Apparently there was construction being done on the bridge at the time. Oh, how the blame will fall like rain.

Probably has nothing to do with the construction because it was just resurfacing as far as I know right now. The vibrations could have been what caused the collapse, but the leading idea was that the steel frame already had stress cracks in it.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Probably has nothing to do with the construction because it was just resurfacing as far as I know right now. The vibrations could have been what caused the collapse, but the leading idea was that the steel frame already had stress cracks in it.

Yeah. Stress was showing in the steel, they are suffering through an unusually heavy heat wave (and cooling off during night), and an abnormal traffic pattern..

I think it's gonna lead to some tightening up of the inspection process. With that said, the NTSB and the cities responded amazingly fast, and by the sounds of it amazingly well.

There's nothing unusual about the bridge design either, for the record.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, blame is most likely to fall upon whoever put their stamp on the latest set of inspections.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    Yeah, blame is most likely to fall upon whoever put their stamp on the latest set of inspections.

It'd be nice, just for once, to have a blameless catastrophe.

Yes, I know that these things don't just naturally collapse. But if the bridge was 40 years old, built using older techniques that don't feature redundancy, and if nature herself caused it to collapse... Why blame someone?

Now, if the stress was enough (Why am I constantly thinking of Rosie O'Donnel's comments? ...), then yes... Let's ream the inspectors for not making a big enough deal of this. And let's ream the legislature for scaling back funding for road maintenance projects (another thing that I heard today, but is unsubstantiated at the moment). But it would make me happy to see something not be blamed on people, and yet everyone learns from it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    There's nothing unusual about the bridge design either, for the record.

The piers are sort of far apart for a bridge that big, aren't they?

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I forget the name of it, but there is a sort of bracing and connection point in the center that is used both to simplify load calculations and to ensure that stress vibrations won't lead to a bridges collapse. It isn't a new technique, either.

Maintenance, or lack thereof, is the most likely culprit. Will be interesting to see what it really is and what the investigations will do to improve future bridge safety.

moniker on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm betting this turns out to be one of those workplace culture things, where something wrong was being done but it just didn't occur to anyone that it actually was wrong. Like the aircraft technician who matched screw sizes by sight.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, on the bright side I bet a lot of money is going to go into making sure Minnesota roads are safe now. It's too bad people had to die for it to happen... but... that's pretty much the norm these days, isn't it?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

They resurfaced the Riverside Expressway in my town late last year, and the heat from the new asphalt caused a crack in one of the on-ramps. They had to shut down the whole thing for a while to check for other structural faults, too. It was crazy, because that's the main route linking the south side of town, the CBD, and the northern and western suburbs D:

The structure is about the same age as this bridge, too, and almost entirely located directly over the Brisbane River. And my bus home uses it...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

They resurfaced the Riverside Expressway in my town late last year, and the heat from the new asphalt caused a crack in one of the on-ramps. They had to shut down the whole thing for a while to check for other structural faults, too. It was crazy, because that's the main route linking the south side of town, the CBD, and the northern and western suburbs D:

The structure is about the same age as this bridge, too, and almost entirely located directly over the Brisbane River. And my bus home uses it...

Wow, that must've been insane.

The article says the crack was caused by a failure of the bearings to shift their loads. Where did heat come in?

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Wow, that must've been insane.

The article says the crack was caused by a failure of the bearings to shift their loads. Where did heat come in?

The article is a bit outdated, but it was briefly mentioned in the local paper (leaked from a council engineering report, IIRC) before the entire train of thought was Disappeared from the public dialogue. Having only one paper in town is not so rad... The resurfacing occurred right before the problem emerged though, so I'm pretty sure some expansion from the heat (occurring in such a way as to stuff up the ability of weight to shift effectively on that part of the on ramp, which has quite a distinct shape) was to blame for the crack.

Anyway, thread's not about me. The eyewitness reports I've read were pretty scary. I saw at least two people saying they were on the phone to someone on the bridge right when it collapsed D:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Athenor wrote: »

It'd be nice, just for once, to have a blameless catastrophe.

Yes, I know that these things don't just naturally collapse. But if the bridge was 40 years old, built using older techniques that don't feature redundancy, and if nature herself caused it to collapse... Why blame someone?

Now, if the stress was enough (Why am I constantly thinking of Rosie O'Donnel's comments? ...), then yes... Let's ream the inspectors for not making a big enough deal of this. And let's ream the legislature for scaling back funding for road maintenance projects (another thing that I heard today, but is unsubstantiated at the moment). But it would make me happy to see something not be blamed on people, and yet everyone learns from it.

I n general - people like having someone to blame. It helps them make sense of a tragedy. There will be a head-hunt of epic proportions.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    The infrastructure in this country is ancient and needs to be rebuilt. This is one of those foundational issues, like social security, that will have to be addressed.

Shinto on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Damn this sucks.

Also, it appears CNN has acquired a video of the collapse, and it's up on their website. Damn thing failed from the middle outwards.

This is kind of relevant to this area as Nebraska put a 5 ton weight limit on this bridge to "lengthen it's life span", but I always thougt it was to prevent it from plummeting into the Missouri. I wonder how many states are going to doublecheck their bridges after this.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's another bridge that runs parallel to (what was) the 35W bridge. If it's not blocked or completely packed, I'll be walking along it before work this morning and I'll try to get some photos.

This is a very big deal for the city. It's, from my understanding, the most heavily traveled bridge in Minneapolis and it serves at least a fourth of the population every day - if not more than that. It connects downtown to several suburbs, the University of Minnesota, and a few other areas.

Luckily nobody I knew was hurt, but it was scary for an hour or so following the disaster. My girlfriend was on her way here from the campus as it happened. She luckily took another route, but she could have just as likely been on the bridge as it happened. Another very good friend of mine was on her way towards the bridge, but the collapse occured about ten minutes before she got there.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm betting this turns out to be one of those workplace culture things, where something wrong was being done but it just didn't occur to anyone that it actually was wrong. Like the aircraft technician who matched screw sizes by sight.

coughcough....BIG DIG...coughcough. Us Bostonians...er, Bostonites...um, Bostonicans know all about that.

At this point I'm just trying not to obsess about the fact that my oldest friend in the world lives in Minneapolis, and I haven't been able to get in touch with her.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    The infrastructure in this country is ancient and needs to be rebuilt. This is one of those foundational issues, like social security, that will have to be addressed.
    It doesn't need to be rebuilt, just maintained and that's always difficult because if you can push it just a little bit longer it means more money for <popular political program X>.

I mean, aren't highway crews essentially resurfacing the roads in one direction, then driving back across the country and doing it again on like a 10 year cycle?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be rebuilt, just maintained and that's always difficult because if you can push it just a little bit longer it means more money for <popular political program X>.

I mean, aren't highway crews essentially resurfacing the roads in one direction, then driving back across the country and doing it again on like a 10 year cycle?

No, here in the United States, at least on the East Coast, a lot of stuff needs to be rebuilt.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    GoodOmen: The Cell phone traffic here in Minneapolis was incredible if you were unable to contact her last night it would have been impossible. No one I knew was able to call. We were able to text pretty easily.
    I would say give her a call this morning.

It was pretty amazing though, thousands of people migrated to the area to help/watch. There were civilians directing traffic. People were jumping into the water, and down by the mississippi the bank is at least 10-20 feet above water.
    I work down on the U campus and its very strange, nearly everyone I know takes that bridge home, or at least 2-3 times a week to get down town.
    Thank god Pawlenty vetoed the road budget. :x

Troy on