As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Return of Jim Crow

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mandatory voting is unconstitutional anyway, no use arguing it in the context of the U.S.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not voting in Australia is easy - you donkey vote. Actually I think we need to take that further and add an "abstain" box on the forms, but I see a world of difference between declaring you abstain from voting in an official way, and not voting because you just never went.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not voting in Australia is easy - you donkey vote. Actually I think we need to take that further and add an "abstain" box on the forms, but I see a world of difference between declaring you abstain from voting in an official way, and not voting because you just never went.

Hasn't donkey voting basically caused a bunch of controversy, even after random ballots?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Hasn't donkey voting basically caused a bunch of controversy, even after random ballots?
    ...no?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Mandatory voting is unconstitutional anyway, no use arguing it in the context of the U.S.

Which is pretty much a case-in-point reminder that the US constitution, while nice, isn't all that and a bag of chips. Good democracy requires obligatory participation by all capable, or as close to as you can get without screwing people over some other way.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

Which is pretty much a case-in-point reminder that the US constitution, while nice, isn't all that and a bag of chips. Good democracy requires obligatory participation by all capable, or as close to as you can get without screwing people over some other way.

Its a right to vote, not an obligation.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Do you not get that I think it should be an obligation?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Why? Because it can be? Should it be mandatory for everyone to run for public office, because we can and it would make people more involved?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Why? Because it can be? Should it be mandatory for everyone to run for public office, because we can and it would make people more involved?
    Voting is pretty much the minimum level of participation in democracy that makes it differ - at all - from being a monarchy or a dictatorship state.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Voting is pretty much the minimum level of participation in democracy that makes it differ - at all - from being a monarchy or a dictatorship state.

But not voting is in itself voicing an opinion.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

It really isn't; its simply a lack of information - information I'd argue is important. Parallel example: in the data entry system at work where our soil survey data is stored, one test is described in terms of the level of reaction you see upon adding KCl solution to soil. It runs from 1-4, with one being "a little fizzing" and 4 being "wheee, mini volcano ow ow its spitting burning stuff out of the test tube at me". However, there's no "0", for "test performed, no reaction at all". This is a problem, because you just have to take it on faith that the test was actually performed at all, and there's no way that any worker isn't going to slip up and forget to record the info once in a while. The lack of an "abstain" vote and the lack of attention paid to what a high proportion of abstains on an individual issue means is similar to me, and similarly problematic. 'Abstains' strike me as a far more effective measure of voter discontent with available options, and I'm willing to go so far as to say that if the number of "abstains" is high enough then the decision should be scrapped and the process begin anew.

I know that last part never happens anywhere, but in the parliament here and the Senate/House of Reps in your country, abstain votes are recorded and especially high or low numbers of abstains tend to be at least commented on. Citizen voting should be treated the same. If you're not allowing your elected officials to pike on voting, you shouldn't be letting citizens do it either.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How about organizing voting duty similar to jury duty. Every election only a randomly chosen subset of the population gets to vote. Since their votes are now very powerful, they might have a better incentive (or even be moved by their civic duty) to be informed on the issues.

If you think of a jury as a voting system, it works pretty well. Randomly select 12 people to "vote." They are now so powerful, that they feel compelled to at least think about their vote thoroughly.

enc0re on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

in the parliament here and the Senate/House of Reps in your country, abstain votes are recorded and especially high or low numbers of abstains tend to be at least commented on. Citizen voting should be treated the same. If you're not allowing your elected officials to pike on voting, you shouldn't be letting citizens do it either.

I would love to have a "none of the above" box on the ballot.

It might go some way to move the criteria for winning an election away from "being better than the alternatives".

Gorak on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    On that note, however, I am COMPLETELY opposed to these "Vote or Die"/"Get out the Vote" operations. There is something worse than not voting, and that is voting for the wrong reasons. There should be no external 'incentive' for voting, no days off, etc. Voting is intrinsically rewarding.

Whatever. Those campaigns are just one of the ways we socialize our youth with an ethic of voting.

Most people's first vote(s) aren't the most meticulously reasoned things, because it takes a while to get your feet politically.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    To be perfectly honest, I think that if the US wasn't as politically powerful as it is, the UN would be all over your electoral process. Unfortunately, they're only really capable of proper oversight in third-world holes that no-one cares about.
    I agree with this. The mechanics of our election process are full of holes and conflicts of interest. Hell, one of the central election strategies is to run hard-negative ads in certain markets just to broadly depress voting turn-out.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I think that if the US wasn't as politically powerful as it is, the UN would be all over your electoral process. Unfortunately, they're only really capable of proper oversight in third-world holes that no-one cares about.
    I agree with this. The mechanics of our election process are full of holes and conflicts of interest. Hell, one of the central election strategies is to run hard-negative ads in certain markets just to broadly depress voting turn-out.

Ha ha, this reminds me of hearing on the radio that a group from some relatively together African country (Kenya? Ghana?) offered to supply election observers in 2004. We probably could have used their help...

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I don't know, it doesn't seem like negative campaigning is really on the list of things the U.N. intervenes on.

I notice the U.N. doesn't intervene in Italy. They have all manner of problems and are not a superpower.

Shinto on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The U.N. doesn't have any power to change our electoral policies. Mandatory voting is only done by a very small group of countries (who are mostly small in size). I don't really see it happening here, especially with punitive measures. It goes against a lot of values instilled in the Constitution, whether you like it or not.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I don't know, it doesn't seem like negative campaigning is really on the list of things the U.N. intervenes on.

I notice the U.N. doesn't intervene in Italy. They have all manner of problems and are not a superpower.

I don't they think they had deliberate disenfranchisement of poor and ethnic minorities to the extent the US did. It also seems to be more egalitarian - each side claims that the other cheated.

Gorak on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007

Well, the UN doesn't really intervene in Europe outside of the brand-new Republics and the occasional punitive action in pseudo-European Turkey. I didn't really mean that negative campaigning is an international incident; just that it shows that our central actors (and executives and enforcers) in our democratic system are often given to subverting the basic premise of participatory democracy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

And Mith, that Economist article proves that Caplan is as full of shit as we thought.

Can you be more specific? I happen to think that his observations are correct.

As it points out, Caplan states that there are four biases at work:
    • The first is that society is anti-market - that we don't comprehend that the market benefits us. What Caplan seems to not get is that many times, it doesn't. To take an example close to home, my home state deregulated electrical power generation about a decade ago. Supposedly, this would cause prices to drop. Instead, it's been a massive screwup, and nobody in their right mind without a vested interest still supports deregulation. The reality is that the populace is wary of the market - sure, it can be beneficial, but it can also be incredibly destructive.
    • Second, Caplan states that we are anti-foreigner. The examples that he gives, though, are bullshit. The line about jobs that Americans shun is a load of crap - Americans don't shun those jobs, we just refuse to do them at the wages that they think they can pay for them. As for outsourcing, the problem there is that it ultimately corrodes our internal capabilities - look at the number of native CS majors over the past decade for a great example. Opposition to foreign production stems from the fact that it is driving the race to the bottom.
    • The point about "make-work" is probably the worst, because it ignores so much about keeping a community healthy. Yes, one could hire a super efficient person to handle the workload, and only have to pay that person, but if he's the ONLY one working, you're going to see a sharp decline in the health of the community. It's actually better for the community if you employ a decent cross-section of it. There's also the ideological bias here as well - the idea of using work to employ a large section of the community is very much Keynesian, and the Cato boys never liked Keynes. So, to sum this point up, we place the strength of the community over pure productivity.
    • Finally, the pessimism issue. This is purely due to Caplan sitting in his ivory tower. Yes, it's easy to say "look at all the economic indicators, things are going swimmingly" from a macro standpoint. But when you're on the ground and all you see is solid jobs being replaced with crappy service McJobs, your earning power eroding, your job stability lost long ago - why WOULDN'T you see things in a pessimistic light. Caplan should get out of the ivory tower, and see how the other half lives, if he wants to comprehend why the common man has a pessimistic outlook.

And again, there's the issue of his biases - considering he's aligned with Cato, he's not just an economist, but instead is probably most in tune with the Chicago school. However, discussing the merits and flaws of that system is definately off topic here.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In short: maximized economic efficiency serves capital holders greatly and tends to benefit consumers. Workers, however, tend to get screwed when economic efficiency is maximized.

And the great majority of voters are workers.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In short: maximized economic efficiency serves capital holders greatly and tends to benefit consumers. Workers, however, tend to get screwed when economic efficiency is maximized.

And the great majority of voters are workers.

Hence why there's been such a push to get us to self-identify as consumers. Makes the crap more palatable.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Angel, I will concede a few points about a few things. Deregulation (Jeez, what were we thinking? We just deregulated institutional monopolies. Which is insane.), for one. But for the most part, I think that you are being irrational (yeah, like one in the book).

I don't think you should criticize him for making impartial observations. I agree that his recommendations are slightly wonky, but his observations are made from some good, old rational Science, while yours are based on first-hand experiences at best (though they are infinitely more likely the empty rhetoric of some populist politician).

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Angel, I will concede a few points about a few things. Deregulation (Jeez, what were we thinking? We just deregulated institutional monopolies. Which is insane.), for one. But for the most part, I think that you are being irrational (yeah, like one in the book).

I don't think you should criticize him for making impartial observations. I agree that his recommendations are slightly wonky, but his observations are made from some good, old rational Science, while yours are based on first-hand experiences at best (though they are infinitely more likely the empty rhetoric of some populist politician).
    The fact that you call economics a rational science is enough to make me laugh. Honestly, if I could make a new thread, I'd have to make one on discussing the moral bankruptcy of Cato. Like I said, most of the bullshit that he states comes from the fact that he's in an ivory tower, looking at the macro, and betting it helps the micro. Problem is, that's not always the case.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Like I said, most of the bullshit that he states comes from the fact that he's in an ivory tower, looking at maximizing one or two variables in the macro, and not really caring but claiming that it helps the micro.

Fix'd

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Angel,

I do think that we have a significant difference of political opinion, but hopefully we can find some sort of common ground.

I do not think that Libertarian is a dirty word, for starters. That is how I define myself when asked; it is not perfect, but it makes more sense than saying "Liberal" or "Conservative". Whereas I believe that trade should be free and unfettered, I also believe in Universal health care and free education. Pure, unregulated capitalism probably would not be as beneficial as Milton Friedman would like. After all, there should be balance. I think we can both agree with that. Whereas you would believe that the Government should be more powerful in some areas, I think that I would disagree with you.

Anyways, I would just like to start off by saying that a lot of your observations, especially as your post progresses, seem to be quite weak.

You start off strong - you have good point about how deregulation has led to HIGHER utility prices. Certainly that was not the intention. I think the fault with this example is that the industry that you cite lacks serious competition. After all, communities only allow one line of each utility to be set. I think what should have happened is that line operators should be forced to sell space on their networks/lines (if it is technologically possible) to other companies at wholesale rates. That would create competition. And certainly you agree that a competitive market leads to lower unit costs?

The anti-foreign bias is definitely true, though it is manifested for reasons I believe have not been explained. I do not think that Americans, for the most part, are xenophobic. Not the ones who read books, anyway. I think that most Americans fear for the security of their jobs. And for good reason! If they lose their jobs, they lose their health care. The fact that employers pay for their employee's health care was quite an accident of history. Americans should start getting free, Universal health care so that American corporations are not burdened with the cost (WalMart is actually lobbying for Universal Health care. I know. Evil WalMart). As well, Americans should be supported through post-secondary education (it does not have to be free, but interest-free loans would be a nice start).

(Just to add - perhaps to combat the falling number of Engineers the Government should subsidize that level of education the most. Just a thought.)

I think that protectionism would be a great mistake. It does not make the distribution of wealth more equitable - it just creates a bunch of domestic fat cats making money off of consumers. Americans pay double the market rate for sugar, because the industry is protected by both tariffs and subsidies. I don't see how the average American American benefits from those tariffs and subsidies. Of course, jobs are saved, but is it really worth the cost?

I agree that the gains from free trade have so far been inequitable. But the gains ARE there. Ask any economist. The problem, of course, is how to make it more equitable. Free health services and education are a start, I think.

In terms of the "Make-work" bias, I think that you are missing the point. Unemployment is far from the sole economic indicator, and farther still from being the most important. Yet when politicians talk about the Economy they only talk about "jobs". Why? Because that is the only experience that the layman has about the economy. You argue that 'the strength of the community' is more important than overall productivity. That is false. The ONLY indicator of living standards is worker productivity. (A lot of research has gone into this over the years. Paul Krugman will get a Nobel prize for his work on it someday.) Just as it would not make sense take away shovels and replace them with spoons, it definitely would not make sense to limit productivity to increase employment.

In terms of pessimism, I think that Americans are right to be pessimistic. After all, the average worker's REAL wage has stagnated for the last ten years or so. Of course, many consumer goods are much cheaper thanks to trade with China, but those gains have nearly been eliminated thanks to higher utility costs. On that note, however, I do not think that things are terrible. They just are not getting better.

Anyways, I hope I didn't bore you too much.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    I agree that his recommendations are slightly wonky, but his observations are made from some good, old rational Science

Allow me to assure you that this is bull of the first order. Guys like Caplan have gotten to eat out a lot in the past twenty-thirty years by selling the notion that the subject is a settled matter and we should all just sort of roll over for our neoclassical overlords, but that's a combination of PR and wishful thinking, not science.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I do not think that Libertarian is a dirty word, for starters. That is how I define myself when asked; it is not perfect, but it makes more sense than saying "Liberal" or "Conservative". Whereas I believe that trade should be free and unfettered, I also believe in Universal health care and free education.

Congratulations. You are a democrat.

You are not a libertarian however.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I do not think that Libertarian is a dirty word, for starters. That is how I define myself when asked; it is not perfect, but it makes more sense than saying "Liberal" or "Conservative". Whereas I believe that trade should be free and unfettered, I also believe in Universal health care and free education.

You show me a Democrat who believes in free trade, and I'll concede.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Clinton[remember Nafta?]. Gore. Obama.

God, all of them.

Though usualy they preface it with "Oh, but lets also not have different rules for different nations"

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Clinton[remember Nafta?]. Gore. Obama.

God, all of them.

Though usually they preface it with "Oh, but lets also not have different rules for different nations"

Bill Clinton, yes. Hilary, not as much.
    This is a real victory for the Syracuse candle-making industry. Our manufacturers deserve a level playing field and we owe it to them to make sure that others do not unfairly circumvent our fair trade practices. Syracuse has a proud history of candle production but attempts by importers to undercut our producers have put that tradition at risk. I am pleased that the Department of Commerce heeded our call to take action against these unfair practices and recognized the importance of this decision to local producers, especially here in Syracuse. We will continue to make the case on behalf of Syracuse candle-makers as the Commerce Department considers its final determination.

Obama?
    Obama wrote:
    Let’s all acknowledge that to some degree globalization is here.… The world is smaller than it used to be. When we negotiate trade deals, we’ve got to make sure there are strong labor and environmental provisions in those trade deals.

Which is exactly the same as not supporting trade.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Do you understand what fair trade is? And how it conforms to the requirements that are required to make free trade work?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You show me a Democrat who believes in free trade, and I'll concede.

An overwhelming majority of the Democrats on this very site are free trade.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Do you understand what fair trade is? And how it conforms to the requirements that are required to make free trade work?

Of course. Fair Trade is worse than protectionism, because at least protectionists have no illusions about their beliefs.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Obama wrote:
    Let’s all acknowledge that to some degree globalization is here.… The world is smaller than it used to be. When we negotiate trade deals, we’ve got to make sure there are strong labor and environmental provisions in those trade deals.

No, protectionism is the opposite of free trade. Leveraging free trade agreements to get what we want is called international politics.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Obama wrote:

No, protectionism is the opposite of free trade. Leveraging free trade agreements to get what we want is called international politics.

I have never heard of political provisions in trade agreements leading to anything else other than the rejection of those agreements. Especially worker and environmental provisions. What Obama is basically saying is that he will not engage in any trade agreement with any country that will not require the elimination of that country's comparative advantage.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Obama wrote:

I have never heard of political provisions in trade agreements leading to anything else other than the rejection of those agreements. Especially worker and environmental provisions. What Obama is basically saying is that he will not engage in any trade agreement with any country that will not require the elimination of that country's comparative advantage.

So, like every Free Trade agreement?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    Obama wrote:

So, like every Free Trade agreement?

I think that you're confusing protected industries with political provisions (such as higher wages, health care benefits, Environmental laws). I do not think that industries should be protected through tariffs or subsidies. Those market distortions are unproductive, and cause more harm than they are worth.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I have never heard of political provisions in trade agreements leading to anything else other than the rejection of those agreements.

How many details do you actually know about the free trade arrangements we make?

NAFTA for instance is suplimented by both the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEO) and the North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALO).

Shinto on