As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Incursion: d20 Roguelike

• Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Damn, my Orc thaumaturgist was rolling along, on dungeon level 3, and he was L 4. But then some invisible ancient ghost kept scaring me.. and the Orc god gets all kinds of pissed off when his orcs get frightened, so he smited me, by sending me down to floor 6. Real ugly down there.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I killed a black dragon on level 3 only to uncover his disguise, he was actually a BLACK DRAGON?????? Huh apparently it's all the rage to wear a disguise of yourself.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I killed a black dragon on level 3 only to uncover his disguise, he was actually a BLACK DRAGON?????? Huh apparently it's all the rage to wear a disguise of yourself.

This might seem silly to you, but maybe not everyone wears a disguise of another species. In fact, most disguises humans in real life make are of other humans. Perhaps he was posing as some Black Dragon politician, and you just didn't get the shtick.

Also, third floor is hard :(

piL on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Estoc wrote: »
    The way this game is played it could be possible to make a multiplayer version. One person could be desinated party leader, and does the movement for the party outside of battle. The fights are nice, and the time system could account for mutiple characters.

I would kill for this.
    I was thinking about that - it would be pretty hot.

Have any games like this ever been multiplayer?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The way this game is played it could be possible to make a multiplayer version. One person could be desinated party leader, and does the movement for the party outside of battle. The fights are nice, and the time system could account for mutiple characters.

I would kill for this.

I believe Angband, which is great, has a multiplayer variant called Mangband.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    piL wrote: »

This might seem silly to you, but maybe not everyone wears a disguise of another species. In fact, most disguises humans in real life make are of other humans. Perhaps he was posing as some Black Dragon politician, and you just didn't get the shtick.

Also, third floor is hard :(

Hahha I never thought about it that way. Really this game can be a lot less hard if you happen to get lucky with some items in the shop. I got a plus 5 leather armor for my drow rogue and a plus 5 acidic dagger really made the first 3 levels of the dungeon a lot easier. Of course I hit the fourth floor and couldn't land a hit on what I was attacking.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How would you buy those items from the shoppe?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Strangely enough, I've once had a Dwarven +5 Platemail of Fortification or something. It was so expensive that the price wrapped around to the point where it was 2gp.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There is nothing as satisfying as sitting down and eating an enemy who has been causing you trouble. And eating your animal companions after they die. What I'm saying is that I enjoy how this game doesn't punish you for eating the dead, most roguelikes would have had me die of a mysterious disease from this act, here I just get raped by bears whenever I hit level 3.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Whatever you do make sure you DO NOT do an area attack in a graveyard. It destroys the gravestones and spawns many many many angry crazy powerful undead that want to kill you.

vhzod on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    There is nothing as satisfying as sitting down and eating an enemy who has been causing you trouble. And eating your animal companions after they die. What I'm saying is that I enjoy how this game doesn't punish you for eating the dead, most roguelikes would have had me die of a mysterious disease from this act, here I just get raped by bears whenever I hit level 3.

I'm running low on food, and so I'm going to have to start eating people soon, which is bad because I'm not immune to disease.

I bet a orc paladin would rule!

Edit: Flaming spheres are more dangerous than you would think they would be with 12 reflex save and evasion.

piL on
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    vhzod wrote:
    Whatever you do make sure you DO NOT do an area attack in a graveyard. It destroys the gravestones and spawns many many many angry crazy powerful undead that want to kill you.
    What a coincidence, I was gonna post the same thing. In my case, I kicked open a door with an explosive trap while in said graveyard. Now the entire graveyard is up in arms, and something just wrapped its tentacles around me. I don't like where this is going. D:D:

SAVED, at 9hp, by a potion of dimension door. Wheee, now to get the fuck outta here. D:

Estoc on
  • Options
    varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh god. When the Linux binary hit I'm on this like whipped cream on a pancake.

varland on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow, I just got taken out by some sort of evil fruit garden. I step into an abandoned temple, only to be immediately sprayed by a spore plant, causing confusion. I then aimlessly stagger over to a dark tree, which after a short fight, grabs me and slams around everywhere. To top it off, while this is happening, a vampiric melon bounces up and starts sucking my blood, giving constitution damage. My potion of dimension door is rendered useless since I stepped on a dimension anchor trap earlier. I die very quickly, hitting -1 hp. Damn, that was nuts. :P

Estoc on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I would kill for this.

Angband has Mangband
    Tome has TomeNet
    Nethack has Internethack

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    vhzod wrote:
    What a coincidence, I was gonna post the same thing. In my case, I kicked open a door with an explosive trap while in said graveyard. Now the entire graveyard is up in arms, and something just wrapped its tentacles around me. I don't like where this is going. D:D:

SAVED, at 9hp, by a potion of dimension door. Wheee, now to get the fuck outta here. D:

Can you kick a gravestone to cause the same thing? :)

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't know. Feel free to try tough, but understand that you're gonna get at least one monster per gravestone, so you're gonna get swamped quick, and somehow tentacles will get involved.

Estoc on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I want to be a necromancer/priest of mara however I find it very hard to stay good and I'm losing alignment in ways I don't understand. Are all spells that use negative energy inherantly evil? Sometimes when I summon a creature and it attacks an evil hostile creature who isn't trying I lose alignment every time it attacks and I don't know why. How do you tell if a spell is inherantly evil? Since I need to start as a mage to get spellbooks and the channeling stone and phase door how can I stay good so Mara will accept me?

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What is the best way to overcome the invisible fear things that follow you around on pretty much every level lower than one.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What is the best way to overcome the invisible fear things that follow you around on pretty much every level lower than one.
    Okay, I'm getting a bit tired of invisible crap like "phantasmal plague of spiders" or whatever that can just follow me around and hit me all they like. How does one kill what one can't see?

Please give me your solutions, as creative as you need be. (besides hiding inside a summoning circle for the rest of your days . . .)

(sound of crickets chirping)

C'mon guys, what do you do to get rid of that stuff other than run like hell, quaff potions and pray?

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • Options
    KouKou Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Get a really big sword and just continuously spin in a circle. You're bound to hit it at some point.

Kou on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    See Invisible helps a bit.

Likewise, most of the time turn undead is a godsend.

Hell, lots of times it's basically free experience.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can we get any non caster long term solutions?

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    See Kou's suggestion, otherwise, no.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You normally need a direct magic attack or ghost touch weapon to even hit an etheral creature anyway so you're sol. You need a wand or something.

vhzod on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    There is no glory in Roguelikes, only achievement.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man fuck this game. I just spent like half an hour reading through all this awesome character creation stuff, made a Dwarf cleric (homage to Dwarf Fortress, my first roguelike) and set off on my journey. I was clubbed to death by a goblin.

I can't remember being this confused and overwhelmed by a game since... well, since Dwarf Fortress, which quickly became one of my all time favourite games and a horrible addiction. I'll give this another shot sometime soon.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    vhzod wrote:

Can you kick a gravestone to cause the same thing? :)
    I can confirm that yes indeed, kicking a tomb caused a giant deer to appear and rape my rogue to death.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I can't remember being this confused and overwhelmed by a game since... well, since Dwarf Fortress.

For some reason this has intrigued me enough to give it a try

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I told my friend about this game.

He gave it a shot.

Following is a Gtalk transcription.

Angus: AUUUGHHH
    You cast entangle, you disturb a grave you wake the dead, you disturb a grave, you wake the dead, you disturb a grave, you wake the dead.
    me: Yeah.
    Don't
    Don't cast AOEs in graveyards.
    They don't like that.
    Angus: There goes my druid.
    Turns out animal companions are useless.
    Also, what kind of game throws intangibles at you on the first floor?
    WHO WOULD DO THAT?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How is the combat? Is it the basic 'You hit <monster> for <damage>' things, or does it have body location damage like the roguelike portion of Dwarf Fortress, or uhh... the other one I can't think of where I bruised my spleen and puked all over a goblin.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I now see the combat is very D&D-like. It's no spleen-busting Dwarf Fortress-ness, but it is quite awesome, and I say this having gotten through a total of 3 hallways before a skeleton with a greatsword killed me.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A genius would do that Evil. An evil genius.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, what kind of game throws intangibles at you on the first floor?
    WHO WOULD DO THAT?
    Yeah, disturbing graveyards tends to get you those kind of critters. I think it also spawns some creatures with the undead hunter tag on them, but I didn't get to check whether they actually hunted the undead spawned since they apparently knew I was the one who triggered them. They wanted to kick my ass too, so I ran.

Oh, some quick tips for starting survival:
    The 8 potions around the perimeter of the starting area are basically freebies. Five of them are always healing, and the other 3 are always dimension door (teleports you away from current location). Also, if you check a group of scrolls, the stack with the highest number tends to be scrolls of identify; it's no guarentee, but it's mentionable.

I hope that helps.

Estoc on
  • Options
    JourneymanJourneyman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, everyone,

Best strategies for dealing with poltergiests, IMO,
    in the current build, are (a) using area of effect
    wands, if you have them, (b) magic missile if you
    are a mage, (c) if you are an elf, manifestation
    helps, (d) there is currently a bug that lets
    you attack poltergiests -- go to the combat options
    menu, select Attack, then try every square around
    you until you find the one with the poltergiest in it.
    As long as you have a magical weapon, you have
    at least a chance of striking true, and most of the
    non-spellcasting classes start with a magic weapon
    of some kind. If you don't strike true the first time,
    keep trying; (e) there are potions in the store
    called Potion of Faerie that will duplicate Manifestation
    if you can afford them, (f) if you can see the damn
    thing, you can cow, quell or surrender to the ghost;
    (g) if you are a ranger, rogue or monk, and you can
    get out of its line of sight and hide, it will stop attacking
    you because it can't see you; (h) Alicorn Lance works
    well against poltergiests for druids, but you might not
    be high enough level; (i) some gods will smite your
    enemies for you when you pray for aid, and you can
    check using the Seek Insight prayer option.

It's also worth noting that Incursion creatures are
    programmed to not leave melee in most circumstances,
    to avoid suffering attacks of opportunity. So if you can
    summon something beside the poltergiest and then move
    away, it will stay with the summons rather than continuing
    to attack you.

Remember that magic spells and weapons have a 50%
    miss chance against incorporeality -- if a magic weapon
    or spell does not affect an incorporeal creature, /try
    again/. Poltergiests are kind of like training wheels for
    the truly badass incorporeals -- the ones that can actually
    kill you.

In some cases, the best option might be to get to the
    nearest stairs and jump levels to lose the poltergiest,
    if frex you have no magic weapon and no decent wands
    or source of see invisible.

I plan to make some changes to the next version to
    ease this source of frusteration:
    * Set a minimum depth of 2 or 3 for poltergiests
    * Add an alchemical item players can manufacture
    that allow seeing invisible.
    * Fix the bug that lets incorporeal undead track
    you when you dimension door out of their
    immediate line of sight.
    * Add an option to cow/quell/surrender to creatures
    you cannot see
    * Maybe have gods that grant "clarity of mind" also
    let you see invisible if you are currently being
    menaced by invisible creatures and pray for aid
    * Put a single potion of see invisible in the starting
    dungeon room.
    Hopefully these things together will make the
    issue more fair.

DaveTheWave,

Like in Crawl, low-level Incursion characters can
    sometimes die very unfair early deaths. This is
    part of the nature of the game's primary challenge:
    survive long enough to protect yourself against the
    bad stuff. To amelorate the frustration of this, there
    is an option to 'clone' a character you liked and try
    again.

Journeyman on
  • Options
    skimbleshanksskimbleshanks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I have a bug to report. The manual claims that a wild shaped druid can open doors regardless of whether or not his animal form has hands. I wild shaped my lizardman druid into a pygmy war rhino and was unable to open any doors with him; I had to wild shape into a baboon in order to open any doors. I was also unable to see a way to resume my natural shape, but this might be an oversight on my part.

I also have a suggestion -- druids shaped into appropriate animals should be able to charge and destroy doors.

skimbleshanks on
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    -Lao-tzu
  • Options
    RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How do I take things out of chests?

Never mind figured it out.

RandomKit on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Journeyman wrote: »
    Like in Crawl, low-level Incursion characters can
    sometimes die very unfair early deaths. This is
    part of the nature of the game's primary challenge:
    survive long enough to protect yourself against the
    bad stuff. To amelorate the frustration of this, there
    is an option to 'clone' a character you liked and try
    again.

Speaking of this -- is there a limited number of "clones" you can do? I ask cause occasionally my favorite characters vanish from the reincarnation menu, which is a bummer.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I managed to summon a orc monk with a wand, and have it kill me in one turn. Also I had generated a dungeon with only one way to go and only one door that was at an angle instead of being one of the four cardinal directions. The game in general has just been acting wacky for me today. For instance generally when cloaked and moving around the creatures around me also move, but now they are just standing there before they would follow me even if I was hiding.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Journeyman wrote: »
    Hey, everyone,

Best strategies for dealing with poltergiests, IMO,
    in the current build, are . . .

Thank you much. Those ideas help.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!