As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey! You're really... great....

StratoStrato Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Social Entropy++
I met Fiona Apple after a show last night to get an autograph, and all I could say was a preplanned line I had, because my mind totally froze otherwise.

Do you chat it up like old friends or are you scared of awesome people too?

Strato on

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I usually just think to myself that they're just people too, and then I'm not so uptight about it.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only famous people I have met in my life are David Attenborough and Terry Pratchett and I didn't really talk that much to either of them.

Butler on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Butler wrote: »
    The only famous people I have met in my life are David Attenborough and Terry Pratchett and I didn't really talk that much to either of them.

The important thing is did you have sex with them?

Transporter on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I met Chelsea Handler the comedian once

I was nervous

but she was smoking pot in an alley so she was pretty chill

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    psh
    dumb celebrities

no one is impressed

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How is Fiona Apple's recent work? I haven't listened to anything of hers since her debut album, pretty much.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    concreteconcrete Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I met and chatted casually with Robert Plant once. We were playing guitar on a streetcorner for fun and he wanted us to play some Zeppelin. Funny thing is my dad was in the general area too and noticed Plant (him being one of his idols, being a Zeppelin fan forever), but was too nervous to talk to him.

I always bring this up whenever I see my family.

concrete on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    How is Fiona Apple's recent work? I haven't listened to anything of hers since her debut album, pretty much.

Really? Each album is better than the last, in my opinion. When The Pawn... is really solid, and the latest Extraordinary Machine is magnificent, though not what you'd expect at first. Check 'em out.

Strato on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I met David Lowry and Johnny Hickman from Cracker. David Lowry was kind of quiet/sullen looking, but he was nice enough. Johnny Hickman talked to me and my GF for a good few minutes about random topics.

I've met John Glenn too and talked to him like regular, but thats because it was at a family reunion (he is my grandmothers cousin).

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh wait, I think I have one of her singles from Extraordinary Machine. Just the one, though.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    denmmurraydenmmurray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Butler wrote: »

I would love to meet terry pratchett...I wish I were british.

denmmurray on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    Oh wait, I think I have one of her singles from Extraordinary Machine. Just the one, though.

When The Pawn and Tidal have some good singles, but I would say EM works more as a whole.

Strato on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I met the bassist from Against Me! when I was an hour and a half early for a gig.

I did what I normally do when nervous and went incredibly English and incredibly polite..

"Pardon me, I know this is a bit rude just walking up to you but would you mind perhaps signing perhaps the greatest (in my humble opinion) CD you have ever created?"

I don't know what comes over me.. But I think it was a relief from the two guys that were just stood there going

"yeah man pints of guiness is like, the best thing ever, like, i think it should be on your new album re-recorded you know, like"

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dude how can you turn down a polite englishman.

It is impossible.

Transporter on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I even managed to pronounce the parentheses..

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dude how can you turn down a polite englishman.

It is impossible.

Would you mind terribly if I stole your loose change and then beat you to the ground with my pocket watch?

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I ended up eating breakfast sitting right beside Alanis Morissette (the tables at this place were pretty close together). I didn't even notice until my girlfriend was giving me these weird "LOOK OVER THERE" faces at me. I was too busy trying to find some damn ketchup. I said hey to her and then asked her if I she could pass the kecthup. The end.

Zeta on
  • Options
    Mad IronMad Iron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I worked at the WB studio for about 4 years, so I met a few people. Most of them were really nice, regular people.

You know who wasn't? Robert Patrick. He was a dick.

Mad Iron on
  • Options
    denmmurraydenmmurray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mad Iron wrote: »
    I worked at the WB studio for about 4 years, so I met a few people. Most of them were really nice, regular people.

You know who wasn't? Robert Patrick. He was a dick.

Yeah, he seems like he would be...terminator...what a bastard.

denmmurray on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    chat it up like old buddies
    i met the lead singer from wide mouth mason and we talked like we'd gone to high school together or something
    good times, he is a good dude

i have had, however, people meet me and talk to me as if they were intimidated as crap
    that's weird as hell

mully on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    David Carradine is pretty much a pompous asshole.

he wouldn't even sign my yellow book.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mully wrote: »
    chat it up like old buddies
    i met the lead singer from wide mouth mason and we talked like we'd gone to high school together or something
    good times, he is a good dude

i have had, however, people meet me and talk to me as if they were intimidated as crap
    that's weird as hell

to be fair you are internet famous

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've met the people that currently make up KMFDM. They's all really nice.

I met the dudes from In Flames. They're cocksuckers.

I met one of the guitarists from Lacuna Coil. He was pretty cool.

mcp on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    About the closest thing to a celebrity I have met is the guy that runs J-List and does the newsletter. That was kind of cool. Nothing beyond that though, but I've lived in suburbs all my life so no surprise.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    Mad IronMad Iron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Played Guitar Hero with the guys from Comeback Kid last weekend. They were really cool.

Not very good at the game though.

Mad Iron on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had lunch with Nicholas Cage when he was filming National Treasure II in my city (I run the city's film office).

He was pretty cool. We talked about comics, pop culture, and why he named his son Kal-El.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's such an obvious question.

The planet is going to die and he is going to become Superman.

duh

Transporter on
  • Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I went to an OK GO concert once, and i had never heard of the guys. My sister and my boyfriend brought me to "enlighten" me.

I talked with some guys at a table in the back between bands in the tiny-ass creepy crawl, and didn't think much of it.

Then the same guys were on stage, and I come to find that they were the very band I had come to see. In retrospect, I think they were mildly teasing me in conversation for not having heard them before.

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, that's really cool. Nicholas Cage has made some shit movies, but he's a big nerd so I think he'd be a cool dude to hang with.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    and why he named his son Kal-El.

Well?

Strato on
  • Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Strato wrote: »

Well?

"It was the only word that could make me shoot whiskey out my nose mid-shot"
    That's my guess, anyway

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    Strato wrote: »

Well?

that weed was so good

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I went to see Front Line Assembly earlier this year.

I like them, but wouldn't really be able to identify any of the band members Bill Leeb.

I got there way too early, and the place was kinda empty still. I was just hanging around the bar, and some dude came over and shot the shit for a bit. When FLA came on, turned out he was the drummer.

mcp on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One of the guys I work with had a house warming party for his new place. So I went and it turns out his neighbor is the US Tour/Concert promoter for U2 and just happened to bring Bono. Apparently he was in New York that morning for some event and likes to stay in the Pocono mountains where this party was because it's calming. So she invited him over and he was all "OK, why not".

My wife is a huge U2 fan so she went up and talked to him like a fan and I just stood there because I honestly don't care for his music, but he seemed like a decent guy. You would think he would be a pretentious douche, and he has that look about him, but he was actually a pretty OK guy for a rockstar.

Hunter on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's such an obvious question.

The planet is going to die and he is going to become Superman.

duh

I named my son Doomsday, and he's going to kick Nick Cage's son's ass one day.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    His response was something about loving the superman character and especially what it embodied in the human spirit. Always noble, just, striving to do the best..followed by... "and it just really sounded cool."

He took the name Cage from a comic character as well.

And I agree, some of his movies have been ass, but it was awesome to just shoot the shit with him for a little over an hour. He's a big nerd with a slightly eccentric bend.

So really, he's us with more money.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I met Billy Boyd and Orlando Bloom together in Glasgow.

Oh, how I embarrassed myself.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I met the dudes from Slayer a couple of times, but we didn't make much conversation. It was mostly just a bunch of standing around.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    One of the guys I work with had a house warming party for his new place. So I went and it turns out his neighbor is the US Tour/Concert promoter for U2 and just happened to bring Bono. Apparently he was in New York that morning for some event and likes to stay in the Pocono mountains where this party was because it's calming. So she invited him over and he was all "OK, why not".

My wife is a huge U2 fan so she went up and talked to him like a fan and I just stood there because I honestly don't care for his music, but he seemed like a decent guy. You would think he would be a pretentious douche, and he has that look about him, but he was actually a pretty OK guy for a rockstar.

Did he come and talk to you later about his oppinions on your wife?

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I met Mark Messier once. I told him I liked his haircut.

Reckless on