Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Lurker's confessional

1235»

Posts

  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    This forum has taught me to hate Korn.

    fixed

    The list never changes: http://www.infinitebacklog.com
    Chamberlain.jpg
  • dvshermandvsherman Registered User
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I think it makes discussions involving religion pretty boring.

    They really should be. It's kind of like how 9/11 conspiracy threads should be boring.

    "Hey, what if...!"

    "Evidence?"

    "<Rambling nonsense>!"

    "Sorry, no."

    I think that threads on religion and conspiracy found on this forum are a good thing for people caught up in believing those sorts of things. The problem most Christian fundamentalists seem is having anyone who is able to offer up a good counter-argument to their beliefs. Mainly because people who don't share their beliefs write them off and don't bother spending any time constructing such arguments.

    Threads on forum, among other things I read, were greatly helpful in getting me to see that I never really did examine Christianity honestly before deciding to say that it was what I believed. I don't consider those three years wasted, but I do wish I could have approached what happened in my life during that time with a much different perspective.

    So yeah. Boring but serve a purpose.

    I just looked at my join date. I've been a member since 2003, and if I remember correctly, isn't that when the old forum went away? Because I'm pretty damned sure I was lurking before that, under a different name. Anyway, I lurk more than post for a lot of the same reasons. Can't keep up with the flow of threads, someone else usually says what I was going to say, etc.

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    Even though I am not particularly religious I don't see exposure to faith based arguments as a bad thing. Such arguments can be a little frustrating at times but I think the best thing about this forum is that it really gives you an opportunity to look at things from another person's perspective.

    To put things into perspective for you, since you're such a fan of that, what if I were to argue that you're a rapist and base that argument upon "a magical sky-fairy told me so" and refused to accept any counter-arguments based in logic, reason or fact? You don't see how that's such a bad thing?

    DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    Even though I am not particularly religious I don't see exposure to faith based arguments as a bad thing. Such arguments can be a little frustrating at times but I think the best thing about this forum is that it really gives you an opportunity to look at things from another person's perspective.

    To put things into perspective for you, since you're such a fan of that, what if I were to argue that you're a rapist and base that argument upon "a magical sky-fairy told me so" and refused to accept any counter-arguments based in logic, reason or fact? You don't see how that's such a bad thing?

    I would tell you the magical sky-fairy is a lying whore.

    I am not claiming that all arguments are valid, simply that I enjoy exploring the reasoning behind such arguments. I suppose you could argue that its counterproductive but lets face it discussions on this board usually don't end with everyone coming to some kind of consensus.

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    kaz67 wrote: »
    Even though I am not particularly religious I don't see exposure to faith based arguments as a bad thing. Such arguments can be a little frustrating at times but I think the best thing about this forum is that it really gives you an opportunity to look at things from another person's perspective.

    To put things into perspective for you, since you're such a fan of that, what if I were to argue that you're a rapist and base that argument upon "a magical sky-fairy told me so" and refused to accept any counter-arguments based in logic, reason or fact? You don't see how that's such a bad thing?

    I would tell you the magical sky-fairy is a lying whore.

    I am not claiming that all arguments are valid, simply that I enjoy exploring the reasoning behind such arguments. I suppose you could argue that its counterproductive but lets face it discussions on this board usually don't end with everyone coming to some kind of consensus.

    I'm not basing my argument in any particular objective or the idea of productivity, I'm more saying that the more holes you have in your argument, the more water you can expect to get through when you submerge the vessel, and most arguments based in religion end up resembling chickenwire-submarines.

    DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User
    edited August 2007
    What I'm trying to get at is I am not so much interested in their actual arguments but in the reasoning behind them. I am genuinely interested as to why an otherwise reasonable person would hold beliefs that are more or less indefensible. As far as I am concerned the more variety we have the better and I don't we should be striving to create an environment where people are afraid to express unpopular opinions.

  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    What I'm trying to get at is I am not so much interested in their actual arguments but in the reasoning behind them. I am genuinely interested as to why an otherwise reasonable person would hold beliefs that are more or less indefensible. As far as I am concerned the more variety we have the better and I don't we should be striving to create an environment where people are afraid to express unpopular opinions.

    Does that really mean there should be enforced protection of indefensible positions?

    DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User
    edited August 2007
    No, it means you shouldn't dogpile on someone without hearing them out first. Generally speaking more conservative posters don't seem to last too long here and personally I think thats a shame. Thats not to say we don't have good discussions on this board but sometimes I think it would be better if there was a little more variety.

  • spanksspanks Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Hey. I just wanted to say that the main cause of my lurkiness is probably laziness. It takes a certain amount of energy to maintain a place in an online society. Plus, alot of the time people say what I would've said anyway (just like in real life...).

  • SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Main cause of my lurkiness is the fact that most of the time I'm reading here I'm too drunk to make a coherent post. Also the combative atmosphere is somewhat, hm, threatening. But that's why it's fun to read!

  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd say the main reason that I don't post is that I'm too combatative. Most of the time, my posts start with, "You fucking idiot, why can't you see <X>," where <X> is the most obvious thing in the universe. I mean, if we're in a thread talking about possible constitutional amendments, saying "But that's unconstitutional," defeats the fucking point. We're ammending it dumbass! Or in a thread about videogame sales numbers no the fucking PS3 isn't going to get first place this generation, I don't give a fuck how long your system cycle is. It makes it kind of hard to debate with others in a civil manner.


    So instead I usually erase the post, and if I've got something funny or original to say I'll throw it down. I'd say the world is a better place for it.

1235»
Sign In or Register to comment.