As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RAGE - IT'S HERE: id's newest IP and engine 5

1525354555658»

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Next project for the engine should be fixing the engine.

Those indoor textures were disgraceful.

Everything had to be compressed a ridiculous amount to fit on 2 DVDs (and content was removed), and the game did poorly enough that the high res pack for PC was never released. So in the end I blame Microsoft's 360 policies. There was no problem with the engine.

I stand corrected then.

It's a pretty common complaint though, and it's one of the problems with Megatextures - that you get massive texture sizes. It kind of sucks that especially indoors and close up you get such graininess, but it is nice that any given scene looks more real/lived in than most games. I'm fairly certain that on the id Software end they also had some lower resolution source textures (probably to conserve space/bandwidth since they kept everything stored in a central server, but that's just conjecture). I believe the color contrast filters (post processing) adds an additional loss of quality. In fact here's a comparison:
    2cn8ci0.jpg
    rk0q3t.jpg

I think there's no way to disable the post processing in current versions of Rage however.

On PC they did release a patch that changed the filtering method to something much nicer, but I don't know if consoles ever saw that?

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    lol brown

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Just a heads up... Gamefly has this game on sale for PC for $10! I don't think you need to be a member.

Don't have a link because I'm at work, but I'm sure if you search Gamefly PC games you'll find the right place.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just a heads up... Gamefly has this game on sale for PC for $10! I don't think you need to be a member.

Don't have a link because I'm at work, but I'm sure if you search Gamefly PC games you'll find the right place.

You area a god. A god damned god!

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Rage/158385/

10 all week long.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

If only the game was worth even that....

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

If only the game was worth even that....

$10 is definitely worth it. :P

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Hmmm, for 10 bucks, I might have to get this.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Not worth ten after I got it.

"Game" runs at 60 fps (I just built a top end desktop) but the world only looks good at a distance. Up close it comes apart and kinda pulls you out of the world because you can see the textures(mega?) are all murky.

I am a few settlements in and have fought the same guy skinned about 10 times with about 3 AIs (runny stabby, shooty, puss guy.)

Its also typical ID. Way back in doom 2 we are shown items seemingly singled out on the map. Cuz used to say "That has stupid written all over it" - as you grab it and enemies spawn. And low and behold many many years later... buttons in far off rooms and items just sitting in the middle of the room just waiting for you to touch them and spawn dudes. They have not changed the formula.

Regening health is very generous too.

Its "fetch quest : the game." So much wasted potential. Im still playing to get my 10 out of it...

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    id hasn't made a compelling game since Doom 3 (which can be argued). Then again, isn't this their first game since D3? I dunno. Either way, id is pretty bad at story based gameplay.

• Options
    GNome013GNome013 UtahRegistered User new member
    You guys seem to agree the ending sucks but how is the rest of the game? I have gotten about an hour in a half in and am bored. Nothing in the game sticks out as bad to me it just feels very generic. The shooting is satisfying but the missions all seem generic and tedious and there really hasn't much for a story. The crafting is a potentially nice touch but is nothing new and deosn't seem like it will be deep enough to be satisfying. Does the game get more interesting(other than the horrible ending) or will I stay bored if I don't enjoy it already?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    You'll probably stay bored. The shooting is nice but there's so much fluff in between. It just seems so unfocused. Then again, when the shooting is good, boy does it get good. I don't feel that bad about purchasing it but there are better shooters out there sadly.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg