As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii remote spazzing out?

Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I just bought this Wii yesterday, mounted the sensor bar on top of my monitor (I don't own a TV), and it was working fine. After playing for a while today, it started acting all screwy, even just sitting at the menu the cursor would jump around without me moving, disappear sometimes, etc.
I have no idea what's going on here. I noticed that the sensor bar had gotten a little warm (but not exactly what I'd call hot) from being on top of my monitor, but... I dunno.
Any ideas? I haven't really changed where I'm sitting from before, but it just doesn't work right at all now.

Dance Commander on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Have you looked at the battery status to see whether the batteries are low?

I realise you got it just yesterday but it could just be you have naff batteries.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is there another light source in the room? Has the sun moved so it's shining directly somewhere near the bar? That can cause it to go screwy. Or the batteries in the remote are running out.

Also, you can't say 'spazzing'. That word is very bad in Britain. This post will now have to be hurriedly recalled due to a 'manufacturing defect' and re-released in a few weeks.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Have you purchased other remotes? If the spazzing happens with another wii remote, then your problem is within the console or the sensor bar.

Try re-syncing the remotes, and make sure you have no IR lights anywhere in the room.. I've heard on the vine that even halogen lights could interfere.. who knows.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I only have the one remote, the light hasn't really changed, and the batteries are fine =/ Sometimes I'll just be holding the remote still and the cursor will jump from one side of the screen all the way to the other, it's really bizarre. I'll try resyncing it.

P.S. If I decide to, is it ok to mount the sensor bar upside down?

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »
    Is there another light source in the room? Has the sun moved so it's shining directly somewhere near the bar? That can cause it to go screwy. Or the batteries in the remote are running out.

Also, you can't say 'spazzing'. That word is very bad in Britain. This post will now have to be hurriedly recalled due to a 'manufacturing defect' and re-released in a few weeks.

I think he means scoping out. (obscure?)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Imagine the cursor having a seizure.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This may be a stupid question but have you gone into the Wii settings and set the sensor bar position and sensitivity settings?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    ZimarooskiZimarooski Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's a weird issue. Is there any cellular interference?

Zimarooski on
    Favicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gif
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Sensor Bar is just to IR lights, so upside down shouldn't screw it up if you do it. Just make sure it's still horizontal, and not tilted.

Any other significant IR sources that could be screwing it up?

Heyyy, would a TV remote be able to screw it up? Don't they use IR?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SoaL wrote: »
    The Sensor Bar is just to IR lights, so upside down shouldn't screw it up if you do it. Just make sure it's still horizontal, and not tilted.

Any other significant IR sources that could be screwing it up?

Heyyy, would a TV remote be able to screw it up? Don't they use IR?

Remotes only emit in IR when you press the buttons, get a digital camera, point the remote at it and then press buttons on your remote and watch it in the digital camera display. (CCDs in digital cameras also view in greater spectrums than the human eye including infra-red, although cameras do have IR filters they vary in their ability to block infra-red light)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, I went to adjust the sensitivity (although I had done that before, last night, when it was dark) and noticed that there were approximately 8 hojillion blinking lights everywhere. Turning the sensitivity down to 1 got it working again, but I have no idea what those other lights are. There are no sources of IR light anywhere in my room that I'm aware of.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, I went to adjust the sensitivity (although I had done that before, last night, when it was dark) and noticed that there were approximately 8 hojillion blinking lights everywhere. Turning the sensitivity down to 1 got it working again, but I have no idea what those other lights are. There are no sources of IR light anywhere in my room that I'm aware of.

Are you sure?

A lot of light sources do emit in infra-red, the sun, leds (christmas lights on trees for example), remotes etc.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can't just lights in general make the Wiimote mess up? I remember some reports about them having problems at press showings with really intense lights there.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can't just lights in general make the Wiimote mess up? I remember some reports about them having problems at press showings with really intense lights there.

The problem with a lot of lights in general is that they don't just magically stop at our visible spectrum, they emit in other spectrums too. Generally normal lights keep roughly to our visible spectrum, but this isn't guaranteed of all light sources.

For example, if memory serves energy efficient light bulbs emit quite a bit in infra-red so a lot of them have a layer that mostly blocks IR light.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Indeed. Basically, don't just think "but I don't have an IR bulb" or anything. :P

Æthelred on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Are you sure?

A lot of light sources do emit in infra-red, the sun, leds (christmas lights on trees for example), remotes etc.

If you have a digital camera, some of them will pick up on infrared light as well. Try it with a cell phone camera if you have one.

Do you have any reflective surfaces nearby, as well? Light might be reflecting off of those.

jothki on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you have lots of glass around your tv? That will cause it to appear multiple times in the sensitivity settings.

Geod on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have this problem (extra IR sources) if I have my entertainment center glass door closed. We have a mirror on the opposite side of the room and the sensor bar lights reflect off it, then off the glass, and produce a double image to the wiimote. It's kinda funny, but I just keep the glass door open and all is well in the world.

The mirror was there before the Wii came out, and my wife isn't too keen on taking it down just so I can get better reception on the wiimotes..

But yes, sometimes the strangest or unexpected things will cause the wiimote to point crazily.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to play my Wii in the sun, so you might want to triple check that there's no IR interference.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If he is seeing a hojillion dots, that means there is extra IR sources

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cervetus wrote: »
    This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to play my Wii in the sun, so you might want to triple check that there's no IR interference.

Why on earth...

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Do you have track lighting?

Figgy on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I only have the one remote, the light hasn't really changed, and the batteries are fine =/ Sometimes I'll just be holding the remote still and the cursor will jump from one side of the screen all the way to the other, it's really bizarre. I'll try resyncing it.

P.S. If I decide to, is it ok to mount the sensor bar upside down?

(a) mounting it upside down is just fine, just make sure it's horizontal.

(b) Make sure the plastic at the top of the remote is clean or else it won't be able to see the sensor bar

(c) go to the sensor bar sensitivity setting in the Wii config to see if there are any other IR sources near the sensor bar screwing things up.

(d) remember that IR sources need not be direct. Most monitors will reflect IR light off their surface... so if there's a bay window right behind you you're SOL. Most heat sources are also IR sources ... so look out for candles, incandescent light bulbs, and any general purpose heaters (like toaster ovens).

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »

Why on earth...

On a tennis-court? Would be cool.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've seen that kind of thing happen when I point from too far away from the sensor bar (maybe like 10-12+ feet). Maybe that's it?

bruin on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I've seen that kind of thing happen when I point from too far away from the sensor bar (maybe like 10-12+ feet). Maybe that's it?

If you're that far away, you might need to increase the sensitivity to max. Either that or there's some IR sources in your (now wider) FOV.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg