As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should Pluto Be A Planet?

augustanaaugustana Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is my random question of the day. Lately I've been addicted to the Universe series on the History Channel and they're going to do an episode on "the outer planets" and all how Pluto isn't actually technically a planet anymore (there's even a poll about it, and I realized that I kind of don't understand why they got rid of it being a planet in the first place - and besides what if it is, does it really hurt anything?

augustana on

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No. Just because everyone was raised to believe it was a planet does not make it a planet.
    The debate came to a head in 2006 with an IAU resolution that created an official definition for the term "planet". According to this resolution, there are three main conditions for an object to be considered a 'planet':

1. The object must be in orbit around the Sun.
    2. The object must be massive enough to be a sphere by its own gravitational force. More specifically, its own gravity should pull it into a shape of hydrostatic equilibrium.
    3. It must have cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.[89]

Pluto fails to meet the third condition, since its mass was only 0.07 times that of the mass of the other objects in its orbit (Earth's mass, by contrast, is 1.7 million times the remaining mass in its own orbit).[90][91] The IAU further resolved that Pluto be classified in the simultaneously created dwarf planet category, and that it act as prototype for a yet-to-be-named category of trans-Neptunian objects, in which it would be separately, but concurrently, classified.

Gim on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only reason Pluto would be classified as a planet is because people are used to it, at this point, much like how "Hydrogen" and "Oxygen" have their names backwards.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does it really hurt anything if it's not a planet? I think it was important that they came up with an exact classification of planets with all the planets being discovered outside of our solar system as of late.

Pluto just happened to be a casualty.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It'll always be a planet to me. /nostalgia

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It must be. How else can we complete the "My Very Eager Mother..." mnemonic? That would be awkward.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    It must be. How else can we complete the "My Very Eager Mother..." mnemonic? That would be awkward.

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nana.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    YES

I'm biased

Plutonium on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    ... much like how "Hydrogen" and "Oxygen" have their names backwards.

Really? Explain please.

xraydog on
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Deathly Hallows spoiler:
    My Very Eager Motherfucker Just Sliced Up Nagini

WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Deathly Hallows spoiler:
    My Very Eager Motherfucker Just Sliced Up Nagini

:^:

Also, does it really matter if its not classed as a planet? I really don't see how its official classification as a planet changes anything other then a few science text books...

Tav on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Go here and listen.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    xraydog wrote: »
    ... much like how "Hydrogen" and "Oxygen" have their names backwards.

Really? Explain please.

Hydrogen means "Water Generator."

Oxygen means "Acid Generator."

Oxygen and Hydrogen are both required for Water, only Hydrogen is required for acid.

As is my understanding.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The PastryThe Pastry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm assuming that would be Greek. Do you (or anyone, for that matter) happen to know the extent to which whoever named it that would have been able to distinguish between an acid and a base? I mean, when they said "acid" did they mean "has a pH significantly lower than 7" or "corrodes the shit out of this metal thing here."

Just curious really.

The Pastry on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It isn't a planet, it is a planetoid, and a Kuiper Belt Object. When someone doesn't understand what that means, it is a good opportunity to teach them something about the outer reaches of our solar system.

But if they're gonna push for a simple, yes or no, answer, then no, it's not a planet.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The Pastry wrote: »

I'm assuming that would be Greek. Do you (or anyone, for that matter) happen to know the extent to which whoever named it that would have been able to distinguish between an acid and a base? I mean, when they said "acid" did they mean "has a pH significantly lower than 7" or "corrodes the shit out of this metal thing here."

Just curious really.

http://www.answers.com/oxygen&r=67

"Lavoisier named the new gas oxygen using the Greek words oxys, meaning sour or acid, and genes, meaning producing or forming, because he believed it was an essential part of all acids."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The PastryThe Pastry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

http://www.answers.com/oxygen&r=67

"Lavoisier named the new gas oxygen using the Greek words oxys, meaning sour or acid, and genes, meaning producing or forming, because he believed it was an essential part of all acids."

Much obliged.

The Pastry on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If Pluto is a planet, then Ceres is a planet, I say! Along with those KBOs out past Pluto that are the same size or larger.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pluto should never have been a planet in the first place. Insofar as it's all arbitrary, I don't see what removing it from "The List" will hurt.

No, it should not be a planet.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know, Neptune and Jupiter have rings.... I don't know why people always leave em out.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You know, Neptune and Jupiter have rings.... I don't know why people always leave em out.

I think it comes down to people only remembering the most prominent things about astronomy, and forgetting the rest.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pluto was designated a planet before we could look much further than it. The reason they took away the planet designation is becasue they looked beyond Pluto and found there's probably dozens of other objects out there that would have to be consdered planets as well.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Uranus too. You should pay more attention to Uranus. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

See, 'cause it's like Your Anus. It's funny.

Ahem.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The cool thing about this is that when we have children we can say "When I was a kid there were nine planets!

Kaputa on
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My one problem with it not being a plant is that it failed specifically on the "clearing the neighborhood" because it comes to close to Neptune, but that should also dick Neptune (why does Pluto still chill in its hood?), Jupiter (has a bunch of asteroids around it iirc), and Earth (near earth asteroids). More or less the IAU just didn't want Pluto and couldn't give a half a shit answer for why it shouldn't be.

I, for one, am a large fan of the other solution of adding quite a few planets to the solar system.

Squirrelmob on
  • Options
    NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My one problem with it not being a plant is that it failed specifically on the "clearing the neighborhood" because it comes to close to Neptune, but that should also dick Neptune (why does Pluto still chill in its hood?), Jupiter (has a bunch of asteroids around it iirc), and Earth (near earth asteroids). More or less the IAU just didn't want Pluto and couldn't give a half a shit answer for why it shouldn't be.
    Stern and Levison proposed another criterion that does, however, lead to a nonarbitrary way to classify objects. They remarked that some bodies in the solar system are massive enough to have swept up or scattered away most of their immediate neighbors. Lesser bodies, unable to do so, occupy transient, unstable orbits or have a heavyweight guardian that stabilizes their orbits. For instance, Earth is big enough that it eventually sweeps up or flings away any body that strays too close, such as a near-Earth asteroid. At the same time, Earth protects its moon from being swept up or scattered away. Each of the four giant planets rules over a sizable brood of orbiting satellites. Jupiter and Neptune also maintain their own families of asteroids and KBOs (called Trojans and Plutinos, respectively) in special orbits known as stable resonances, where an orbital synchrony prevents collisions with the planets.

These dynamical effects suggest a practical way to define a planet. That is, a planet is a body massive enough to dominate its orbital zone by flinging smaller bodies away, sweeping them up in direct collisions, or holding them in stable orbits. According to basic orbital physics, the likelihood that a massive body will deflect a smaller one from its neighborhood within the age of the solar system is roughly proportional to the square of its mass (which determines the gravitational reach of the massive body for a given amount of deflection) and inversely proportional to its orbital period (which governs the rate at which the encounters occur).

The eight planets from Mercury through Neptune are thousands of times more likely to sweep up or deflect small neighboring bodies than are even the largest asteroids and KBOs, which include Ceres, Pluto and Eris.

That's from this article. Seems like quite a bit more than "half a shit" of a reason.

I for one would much rather have eight planets, with lesser planetoids (or whatever the correct term is), than dozens. There is a clear difference between the eight massive bodies and the likes of Pluto, and the distinction in nomenclature seems quite fitting. I do not think of Pluto as being in the same category as Jupiter or Earth.

Navoc on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think there's any risk of not feeling like you're standing on the edge of the solar system when we eventually land a man or women on Pluto though. Actually frankly that's why I want to do it - go all the way out to the rim and stare into galaxy.

Then go mad and become a space viking.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think there's any risk of not feeling like you're standing on the edge of the solar system when we eventually land a man or women on Pluto though. Actually frankly that's why I want to do it - go all the way out to the rim and stare into galaxy.

Y'know I thought I had finally wiped the show Space Knights from my memory sparks, but you just brought it all back.

gallery_space_knights2-0-450-0-300.jpg

They will be in my nightmares tonight

Low Key on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Who really cares?

It's not like its classification affects much of anything, besides what list schoolchildren are forced to memorize by rote.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You've been watching Firefly, haven't you?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007

I, for one, am a large fan of the other solution of adding quite a few planets to the solar system.

Apparently, there's a very good chance there's at least one more massive gas giant out beyond the reaches of Pluto, even more massive than Jupiter.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I frankly don't give a damn. There's an official definition of a planet and if Pluto meets it then it is one, if it doesn't then it's not. It's just a word.

Zek on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only reason Pluto would be classified as a planet is because people are used to it, at this point, much like how "Hydrogen" and "Oxygen" have their names backwards.

Wait, what?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Wait, what?

I explained it on page 1.

But this kind of supports my point.

You try changing something that people grew up with and they're all "Wait, what?" :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But this kind of supports my point.

You try changing something that people grew up with and they're all "Wait, what?" :P

I lived a much happier life before you shot down brontosaurs for me.

Although, really, it's just semantic bickering at this point.

*shakes fist*

Gim on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey, think how I felt about it.

My nickname was Bront when I was in the GATE program.

:(

But yeah, ultimately, words is words. It's just that most people have a hard time with words, so its best to make it easy for them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Don't think of it as "Pluto isn't a planet anymore, wahhh". Think of it as "Pluto and Charon are a binary dwarf planet system, that's super cool!"

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Pluto fails not so much because it hasn't "swept out debris in its orbit" but rather because Pluto as a celestial body does not comprise the majority of the mass present in its orbit, not by a long shot.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »

You've been watching Firefly, haven't you?
    Actually I watched Firefly, but then much later watched that awesome BBC documentary-style scenario thing about a multi-planet 6 year mission round the solar system. Where they went to Pluto - that was pretty awesome. We should do that.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No it shouldn't be a planet. If Pluto can be considered a planet then there are tens or maybe hundreds of other objects that fit the same criteria. And now that we are finding extra solar planets an actual definition of the term is required. I'm not a huge fan of the definition, it still seems a tad vague for my liking, but whatever.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Strange AttractorStrange Attractor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think Pluto really cares what we call it.

Strange Attractor on
    Hi.