As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop Question

Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I am going to buy a new laptop for college. My question is if I have an Apple laptop and I'm running windows on it can i install and play windows games?

Igpx407 on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes.

Get the best battery/lightest thing you can

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You'll need to be booted into Windows (not running it in a virtual environment) to get the full benefit of 3D acceleration.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Then I'm definitely going to buy a MacBook pro but then my other question is how much better is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM compared to the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM?

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When buying a laptop, spend every penny you can afford.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Then I'm definitely going to buy a MacBook pro but then my other question is how much better is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM compared to the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM?

I just bought this laptop.

I can't directly compare the stats of the two chipsets, but it's my understanding that only the 256M chipset supports DirectX10.

I could be wrong, this is just from my memory.

I've had it now for one week, and game performance is pretty good for a laptop. I have mostly been playing Neverwinter Nights 2 with it, and it runs pretty smooth without any hiccups. It doesn't seem as sluggish as my desktop XP, which has a slightly less powerful chipset in it.

On top of that, Boot Camp is still Beta, so I can hope for even better performance this fall when it becomes part of OS X 10.5.

ryuprecht on