As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Emails an AIMs

SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
Couple of things - one is proper Monkey Den material, I guess and the other is minor H/A that doesn't really merit it's own thread.

If I have me email address shown (so that it is a link button at the bottom of my posts), is it safe? As in, I know if you post your email address that they quite often get picked up in auto-searches and then added to spam lists, but will it get spotted if it is in one of these links?

Also, AIM address...I'm new to AIM so I was wondering if this is just my AIM username or if it is something else? The address bit has me confused.

Szechuanosaurus on

• Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    It might just be me, but wouldn't both of these be H/A? since they are both asking for help or adivce on something?

I don't know about the auto search/email adress thing, but the AIM one is your AIM screen name.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    The AIM one is H/A, but I felt silly making two threads about fairly minor questions. Thanks for answering it.

I figure that the email thing realtes to how the forum works so Alpha's probably going to be the person most likely to know the answer. Although I fully expect Senoir to give his.

Feh, it's not like it's pushing anything important off the front page of the Monkey Den right now.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    your displayed email is not scrambled.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    So that means it would be picked up on a search or something?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    yeah, if a bot was sent to scrape the PA forum pages.

Then again, they might not, not sure how well bots can handle dynamic pages. Either way, most email addresses are figured out using dictionary words and just name generators until they get you, or buy a list from your ISP.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Bots can handle pages like these like any other page.

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    BesigedB wrote:
    Bots can handle pages like these like any other page.

spammers are very, very cheap.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Your IM handles and emails are not visible to anyone unless they're logged in as a user. This was instituted a while ago after we had a few users get weird IM bot-spam.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    bone daddy wrote:
    Your IM handles and emails are not visible to anyone unless they're logged in as a user. This was instituted a while ago after we had a few users get weird IM bot-spam.

That wraps up that mystery.

Szechuanosaurus on