As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where is the line drawn?

• ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Werrick wrote: »
    For some reason it also happens when a person reaches the age of about 30 or so something happens to their brain and they start to be even more open to perspective. I find myself, in the last two years or so, more and more able to consider other attitudes and ways of thinking. Priorities change and people seem to become more rounded just by virtue of... aw hell, I don't know what, but I definately notice a difference in many folks, including myself.

But people get politically more conservative the older they get.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Sigh.

In other news, the title of this thread makes me want to yell "The Line Is Drawn HERE! THIS IS SPAR-TA!"

I was thinking more of Picard's First Contact line

Or Quark's in the second-to-last episode of DS9

Christ I'm such a nerd

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sigh.

In other news, the title of this thread makes me want to yell "The Line Is Drawn HERE! THIS IS SPAR-TA!"

Christ I'm such a nerd

Don't feel bad. I had the exact same thought.

THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HEE-AH! THIS FAH, NO FATHER!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sigh.

Christ I'm such a nerd

Man, that movie is awesome.

"If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand."

MikeMan on
  • WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

You have a keen mind. I would have enjoyed debating with you.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm 20, and I don't think it would be creepy, but it would definitely be weird if a 35 year-old woman was interested in me. Hell, a few of my coworkers are 30 and I think it would be weird if they were interested in me.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's a big difference between a 13 years old and a 21 years old couple dating versus a 25 and 32 years old couple. At age 13 I don't think there's any way that someone could have the knowledge and mindset to have a healthy sexual relationship. Hell I don't think I had even kissed anyone, must less had a serious relationship at that age. Having a relationship with someone that is much more sexually developed would cause a lot of trauma. By the time the average person reaches 20 and beyond, they've finished growing(so at least their bodies' are sexually mature) and hopefully know how to handle dating. That's why an older couple that has a bigger age gap won't freak people out, but a younger couple will.

furiousNU on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sigh.

Christ I'm such a nerd

God this made me crack up so much.

Age differences obviously get less wierd as you get older. My parents have an age difference of 9 years, but they met when my mom was like... 27 maybe (my Dad is older).

As for people in their 30's being boring, depends. My brothers are both in their mid 30's with wives and children and I wouldn't call them boring.

Al_wat on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Something happens to most people at certain ages. The old expression, I believe it was Samuel Clemens that said "The older I get the smart my father becomes." or somethign to that effect. I often say that it was remarkable just how smart my dad got when I reached the age of 21. I think that effect is almost universal, or at least it's commonplace.

I had almost the exact opposite reaction. I loved my dad, respected him, still do, but the older I get, the more I realize that he made some poor fucking choices.

Regarding the OP, I refuse to make a snap judgment about the situation without knowing more about the people involved. The girl is at that age where it might be a kidnapping, it might be that she ran away. It's kind of hard to tell. And, yeah, 21/13 is creepy... but again, it's right on the cusp where it might be a predatory relationship, or it might just be weird.

Without knowing more about her, him, or her parents, it's kind of hard to tell what exactly should be done about this. I guess that means that there is no clear "line," and it's up to the police to investigate the matter and find if there's any evidence of exploitation or kidnapping.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    I'm 20, and I don't think it would be creepy, but it would definitely be weird if a 35 year-old woman was interested in me. Hell, a few of my coworkers are 30 and I think it would be weird if they were interested in me.

Well, there's nothing weird about a 30 year old being physically interested in a 20 year old. 20 year olds are pretty much the peak of physical development; there's a reason they're the ones that show up in girlie mags.

Emotionally and intellectually, there's a lot of room for improvement. But if one was to find a particularly mature 20 year old, one would be pretty silly to not pursue it. I mean, unless he doesn't like young, intellectually stimulating hot people.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    And, yeah, 21/13 is creepy... but again, it's right on the cusp where it might be a predatory relationship, or it might just be weird.

If there's sex involved, then it's a predatory relationship more or less by definition. If it's platonic, it's merely odd, but otherwise it sets the benchmark for creepy.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    And, yeah, 21/13 is creepy... but again, it's right on the cusp where it might be a predatory relationship, or it might just be weird.

If there's sex involved, then it's a predatory relationship more or less by definition.

I recognize that our culture declares relationships between people under 18 and people over 18 to be predatory, and consequently that's a self-fulfilling prophecy where any adult male who is in such a relationship is probably there because he's a creep whose burning desire for pubescent pussy overcomes his adherence to any common sense of decency.

But I also recognize that it is hypothetically possible, though highly unlikely, that such a relationship might be as healthy as any other sexual relationship. Even though the law defines it as an abuse relationship - and I have no problem with the law defining it as such because that's an appropriate classification in the vast majority of cases - it bears mention that this specific case might be the outlier.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I recognize that our culture declares relationships between people under 18 and people over 18 to be predatory, and consequently that's a self-fulfilling prophecy where any adult male who is in such a relationship is probably there because he's a creep whose burning desire for pubescent pussy overcomes his adherence to any common sense of decency.
    Whoa, really? Because as a 21 year old, a few months ago I went out with a 17 year old girl. I wouldn't have called the relationship predatory, especially seeing as it never really got particularly sexual, and I wouldn't call the relationship outside of the common sense of decency either; we liked each other a lot, we went out for a while, kissed, cuddled, did couple-like things and such, like a lot of relationships, really.

I don't know, I guess the word 'probably' means that there are exceptions to the rule, but I do resent the label 'creep' being banded about so freely.

I do accept that there are some really fucking creepy guys out there, of course >_>

Rohaq on
    edited August 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »
    Whoa, really? Because as a 21 year old, a few months ago I went out with a 17 year old girl.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to indirectly cast aspersions on you. I was referring to a 21-year-old who would be involved with a 13-year-old.

Anyway, my whole point is that clear delineations aren't always possible or desirable. Clear lines are important for policy and legislative purposes, but choosing which issues to assign limited law enforcement resources to is a much fuzzier situation. Just because something's illegal doesn't mean it's worth a full-on manhunt, and just because somebody breaks the law doesn't mean he's necessarily a predator. That's for the police assigned to the case with the assistance of the "victim's" family to figure out.

Feral on

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You would think her parents would have done something when she brought home a guy that had to shave.

Hey man, I had to shave at 13. I dunno about you.

I've never heard of this equation before, but I rather like it. I think I'll start using it to evaluate the people around me.

I do wonder though, what if your age isn't even? Because for me, it says that a 16 1/2 year old would be fine, but not a 16 year old. I mean, in a couple months the equation changes, but as a rule, what do you do with an odd age?

Jimothy on
    edited August 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Because for me, it says that a 16 1/2 year old would be fine, but not a 16 year old. I mean, in a couple months the equation changes, but as a rule, what do you do with an odd age?

It means you're only half-creepy.

Feral on

edited August 2007
    This thread (yes, I know I created it), also reminds me of something I heard from a few people recently.

An old teacher of mine married an ex-pupil. He was in his 30s, at least, she was 16. They apparently started seeing each other after she left school and such (although rumours will always fly that they were seeing each other beforehand, these can't be confirmed though) and she was over the age of consent for the UK. They're also apparently still happily married, 10 years later.

Strange? Yes. Creepy? I'd have thought so at the time (I was in the same school about 5 years after this happened, and I should add that he still had a job) but the fact that they're apparently still happily wed and have a young kid suggests that they were a good match. Opinions?

Edit:- Additionally, I'm quite surprised that we've reached page 3 and kept the debate civil over such a sensitive issue. Congrats D&D.

Rohaq on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This thread (yes, I know I created it), also reminds me of something I heard from a few people recently.

An old teacher of mine married an ex-pupil. He was in his 30s, at least, she was 16. They apparently started seeing each other after she left school and such (although rumours will always fly that they were seeing each other beforehand, these can't be confirmed though) and she was over the age of consent for the UK. They're also apparently still happily married, 10 years later.

Strange? Yes. Creepy? I'd have thought so at the time (I was in the same school about 5 years after this happened, and I should add that he still had a job) but the fact that they're apparently still happily wed and have a young kid suggests that they were a good match. Opinions?

Edit:- Additionally, I'm quite surprised that we've reached page 3 and kept the debate civil over such a sensitive issue. Congrats D&D.

Man, I remember that episode. Kelly was dating Professor Lasky (who was pretty cool, by the way).

Still, it just wasn't as good as when they were in high school.

Jimothy on
    edited August 2007

Man, I remember that episode. Kelly was dating Professor Lasky (who was pretty cool, by the way).

Still, it just wasn't as good as when they were in high school.
    Buh?

Rohaq on
    edited August 2007
    You just described a plot from the later episodes of Saved By the Bell.

I mean, they didn't get married, but it was scandalous and she got on well with his kid.

Jimothy on
    edited August 2007
    You just described a plot from the later episodes of Saved By the Bell.

I mean, they didn't get married, but it was scandalous and she got on well with his kid.
    Oh right, well.. This wasn't Saved by the Bell, and these guys had a kid, he didn't have any previous ones, as far as I know.

I mean, hey, it could all have been bullshit. I assumed it was back when I was in high school, until I heard it more recently from some people who were his students at the time.

Rohaq on
    edited August 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you. Just joking.

Jimothy on
    edited August 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you. Just joking.
    Ah right, sorry, I thought this was one of those 'Bullshit, that happened on TV and therefore could never have occurred in real life.' things.

Rohaq on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't like the equation. 16+14 year olds are creepy? I need to reevaluate things if this is so.

Kaputa on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    I don't like the equation. 16+14 year olds are creepy? I need to reevaluate things if this is so.

I think you just managed to nit-pick the only odd problem with it.

Good job.

Sceptre on
    edited August 2007
    I think people are taking that guideline a little too seriously.

Feral on

• ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If anyone's interested, the girl was found. Scant information though:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/6936070.stm

Man held after missing girl found
    A man has been arrested following the disappearance of a 13-year-old girl who went missing from her Portsmouth home and was found in Northern Ireland.

The youngster had not been seen since she left her home on Sunday morning. Hampshire Constabulary said she was found on Tuesday evening.

Police are working with the authorities in Northern Ireland to bring her back so she can be reunited with her family.

A 21-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident.

Quite a few countries have ages of consent that compensate for situations like a 19 y.o. being with a 17 y.o. old. The age of consent could be, say, 16 +4. This would mean that once you're past 16, you can have sex with anyone under 20; with the full age of consent remaining at 18. I can't see how anyone could really find issue with that.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited August 2007
    No guesses at who the 21 year old who was arrested is, although it doesn't mention that he was charged at all.

Rohaq on
  • WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Something happens to most people at certain ages. The old expression, I believe it was Samuel Clemens that said "The older I get the smart my father becomes." or somethign to that effect. I often say that it was remarkable just how smart my dad got when I reached the age of 21. I think that effect is almost universal, or at least it's commonplace.

I had almost the exact opposite reaction. I loved my dad, respected him, still do, but the older I get, the more I realize that he made some poor fucking choices.

I find this really interesting.

At the risk of going off-topic, I would suggest that, prima fascia it might appear that perhaps your experience isn't typical. However, upon closer examination I find myself asking a number of questions. Firstly, have you spoken to your father about those choices? Did he make standard choices? Were they the best choices at the time from his poitn of view? Would he agree now that they were bad? Assuming you recognize them as bad choices would he also, given your information and perspective, also see them as bad choices?

Perhaps it's not so much that you find yourself outside the paradigm I described, but in fact well within the range, just simply without realizing it?

Assuming that your father isn't a complete douchebag to begin with (because some fathers are, let's face it) and was an alcoholic or somehow abusive in some way and was just a dude trying to raise a family as best he could, is it possible that he also agrees now, in hindsight, with you? Can you guarratnee that in his position, at that time and place in his shoes you would not have made the same decisions?

The reason why I find this so interesting is because, obviously, I very much believe in the paradigm I assembled and consider myself an example, yet at the same time I recognize bad choices that my own father made in his past. However, that doesn't mean that I don't agree with him in principle in terms of his perspective and the things that he tried to teach me when I was a boy and even in my 20's to a certain extent, regardless of how strenuously I resisted them.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
    edited August 2007

I find this really interesting.

At the risk of going off-topic, I would suggest that, prima fascia it might appear that perhaps your experience isn't typical. However, upon closer examination I find myself asking a number of questions. Firstly, have you spoken to your father about those choices? Did he make standard choices? Were they the best choices at the time from his poitn of view? Would he agree now that they were bad? Assuming you recognize them as bad choices would he also, given your information and perspective, also see them as bad choices?

Perhaps it's not so much that you find yourself outside the paradigm I described, but in fact well within the range, just simply without realizing it?

Assuming that your father isn't a complete douchebag to begin with (because some fathers are, let's face it) and was an alcoholic or somehow abusive in some way and was just a dude trying to raise a family as best he could, is it possible that he also agrees now, in hindsight, with you? Can you guarratnee that in his position, at that time and place in his shoes you would not have made the same decisions?

The reason why I find this so interesting is because, obviously, I very much believe in the paradigm I assembled and consider myself an example, yet at the same time I recognize bad choices that my own father made in his past. However, that doesn't mean that I don't agree with him in principle in terms of his perspective and the things that he tried to teach me when I was a boy and even in my 20's to a certain extent, regardless of how strenuously I resisted them.
    I don't think I agree with you: The older I got, the more I recognised the flaws and mistakes with both of my parents: My dad made some terrible decisions, when it came to both his career, and his life in general. He was a fake, constantly trying to put on that he was successful, whilst his life fell apart beneath him.

My mum, who mainly brought me up, taught me some valuable lessons, but nowadays I see that she's not the rock I once thought that she was, and that she too has made some bad decisions in life, even now.

Basically, the older I got, the more human they seemed, and this is what I think most people find as they get grow up.

But yes, very off topic, and probably suited to its own thread ;-)

Rohaq on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    The older I get, the more I realize that my parents have made, and still make, a lot of mistakes.

They are still awesome though.

ege02 on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I read the story in my local paper, and apparently the 12yo was known by the girl's parents, went round to dinner and helped with the washing up and junk - they just didn't know he was 21.

I've known at least two other girls who have been going out with guys a decade older than them - and in one case, it was 18 and 50-something. I just take it as another symptom of the chav mentality - girls just want to look grown up, maybe? I don't know, the girls I knew seemed happy enough.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fails the .5(your age)+7 rule. It is creepy.

I love that the equation actually works almost without fail.

Pity the kids under 10. They can't date anyone. The minimum age of their date is older than they, and their date's minimum age is also older. Such a conundrum.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Pity the kids under 10. They can't date anyone. The minimum age of their date is older than they, and their date's minimum age is also older. Such a conundrum.

Neither should they be dating. The equation is foolproof!

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

The lowest age where the equation will give you a minimum that isn't older than you is 14, which seems like a good age for people to start dating.

I can't fathom a universe where 13 and 21 is not creepy. According to the math it won't be not-creepy until he's 30 and she's 22.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

The lowest age where the equation will give you a minimum that isn't older than you is 14, which seems like a good age for people to start dating.

I can't fathom a universe where 13 and 21 is not creepy. According to the math it won't be not-creepy until he's 30 and she's 22.

I forsee this being an invaluable tool for the protective father.

F: You aren't old enough to date yet.
    D: <whine> Why not?
    F: Because math says so!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I forsee this being an invaluable tool for the protective father.

F: You aren't old enough to date yet.
    D: <whine> Why not?
    F: Because math says so!
    There shall be a protracter and an abacus on my mantle. Anytime my kids act up I'll point to it and tell them there's no maybe's in math.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

But... her brithday is in about 2 weeks... :( Damn, im creepy i guess.

I've also heard another rule. For women its 5 years up 2 years down and the opposite for men. By that logic, in quite good :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If there's grass on the field, play ball! DURRRRR

Seriously though, I'm almost 23. That means an 18 year-old is pushing it.

This sucks for me since I'm one of those immature 20-somethings you guys were talking about. I blame it on living at home for too long.

THAT SAID, I enjoy talking to 18 year-old girls, but they can be really freaking annoying. I generally find that I like 20 year-olds best. Basically if they're in their sophmore year of college, they're fun to talk to (for me).

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX