As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where do I start to learn Japanese?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am going to study abroad in Japan before I am out of school and I would like to learn some Japanese. I really want to find a pen pal but before I can even do that I need to learn enough Japanese to write in Romaji. To learn to write in Romaji do you have to learn the 3 writing scripts first? Oh, and I have a really dumb question, whenever I watch videos with Japanese they always seem to say Hi!!, why is that? It sounds like some sort of acknowledgment.

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hai means yes, as in they are about to begin. Basically you want to know Katakana and Hiragana first. You can learn quite easily if you just google it. You will probably want to pick up a book. I have no recomendations though sorry :(.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    UnabridgedCaptainUnabridgedCaptain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    First, I would like to state that, this being my first post ever on the PA forums, I hope I'm not walking into a joke thread.

With that said, you do not necessarily need to learn the two alphabets (and definitely not kanji) to be able to write romaji. While hiragana and katakana are useful and should be learned as soon as possible, it is possible to learn vocabulary and grammar using only the English alphabet. However, it's a good idea to learn how the alphabets are structured, so as to better grasp pronunciation and how to write in romaji. If you're looking for a Japanese-speaking pen pal to help you practice, there are many web-based services that will set you up with a partner who is either a Japanese student wanting to practice English, or a fellow English-speaking student who will practice with you/help you study Japanese. Unfortunately, I don't know any of these services off of the top of my head, but I can personally set you up with a capable pen pal.

In the meantime, it's a really good idea to download and install a Japanese text input method. If you're running Windows, Microsoft will let you download the language pack from their site for free, and typing in Japanese should be explained by the download's readme. If you can't find that on their website, or are not running Windows, there are some older IMEs I can link you to.

In response to your dumb question: what you're hearing is "hai." It means "yes."

UnabridgedCaptain on
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There is no better way to learn than just taking an good ol'-fashioned course.
    Still being in high school might pose a problem, though. See if a community college in your area
    will let you enroll without having completed high school. You might be able to swing something!

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I learned through tapes and beacuse i started with that it makes it eaiser to write it out on paper beacuse you know what everything is.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Still being in high school might pose a problem, though. See if a community college in your area
    will let you enroll without having completed high school. You might be able to swing something!

Well, I am in college and they don't offer Japanese. The university I am transferring to might, but I wont be going to UF for another year.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In the meantime, it's a really good idea to download and install a Japanese text input method. If you're running Windows, Microsoft will let you download the language pack from their site for free, and typing in Japanese should be explained by the download's readme. If you can't find that on their website, or are not running Windows, there are some older IMEs I can link you to.

I know how to install the language packs with the XP discs but I lost them and on their website I can't find any that support Windows XP. I found packs for windows 98 and NT but not really anything for XP. I found this but does not have Japanese...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0db2e8f9-79c4-4625-a07a-0cc1b341be7c&displaylang=en

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My first question is why would you want to learn romanji in the first place?

I would suggest taking a 100 level Japanese intensive at your local college or university. I did last semester and learned romanji for about the first week then went straight into hiragan, katakana while doing kanjii characters on the side.

The alphabets aren't really that hard to learn (with the exception of Kanjii). Best way to learn imho is to have a sensei who can teach you in a classroom setting.

Maybe get a rossetta stone application for Japanese on the side as well.

EDIT:
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Well, I am in college and they don't offer Japanese. The university I am transferring to might, but I wont be going to UF for another year.

Didn't see this. Well, the next best thing would be to put an ad in craigslist looking for a language partner. Your university should have bulletin boards with this kind of thing too.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well the only reason I wanted to learn Romaji is because my XP system does not support it at all and I can't seem to find any language packs to download for it.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You look at this?

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kana are easy to learn, just make some flash cards with, say, the tsu character on one side and "tsu" on the other, the wa character on one and "wa" on the other, etcetera.

Don't worry about "learning" romaji, it will just come with learning the kana.

Kyouteki on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You look at this?

That is the first thing I did and you have to have the XP disc to install the packs.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm using the Rosetta Stone system too. It seems pretty robust and does voice matching which I think is useful. My dad and step mom bought the English ones and seem to be doing very well.

phamtq on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kyouteki wrote: »
    Kana are easy to learn, just make some flash cards with, say, the tsu character on one side and "tsu" on the other, the wa character on one and "wa" on the other, etcetera.

Don't worry about "learning" romaji, it will just come with learning the kana.

Yeah I can speak from experience with this. I started learning about six weeks ago and have recently made up some flash cards and it works like a charm for me.

I bought myself a workbook/CD combo that focusses on speaking, and I bought a workbook that focusses on reading and writing to cover my bases.

These two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Take-Off-Japanese/dp/0198603002/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-5500268-7088618?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186598392&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yourself-Beginners-Japanese-Script-Yourself-Script/dp/0071419853/ref=sr_1_2/202-5500268-7088618?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186598442&sr=8-2

I'm just working my way through them and I feel it has been very worthwhile so far.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well if your college of choice does not offer Japanese you might want to look for a Japanese embassy in the area or a Japanese Society. They will most often offer language Classes to anyone who wants to learn. Be warned though these classes are filled with Otaku kids whose sole knowledge of Japan or any Asian Culture is limited to what they see in Anime. I know this because I took one and I was one at one time. If you can get past that then you will learn a little bit there until you can get into a proper class. Also try to do some independent Study as well.

There is a free program called “learn kana” that are Hiragana/Katakana Flash cards.
    http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/brentb/jal/LearnKana.exe

Japanese is a difficult language to learn but not the most difficult of all (Mandarin Chinese holds that honor) with some practice you should get it. Ganbane!

Artoria on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Otaku kids whose sole knowledge of Japan or any Asian Culture is limited to what they see in Anime. I know this because I took one and I was one at one time. If you can get past that then you will learn a little bit there until you can get into a proper class. Also try to do some independent Study as well.

I like anime and I watch it but I find the kids who wear DBZ shirts all the time, annoying. I really don't think Otaku kids over in Japan are as bad as the ones we have in the united states.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh guys, I got the language pack by downloading a copy of XP on BT. I have a legit copy from my school so its legal.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Japanese is a difficult language to learn but not the most difficult of all (Mandarin Chinese holds that honor) with some practice you should get it. Ganbane!

I don't know if this helps me, but I learned English with phonics because I had a hard time reading when I was younger. So I was taught using phonics.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    do not not not learn japanese from anime

Japanese people HATE that, I am told

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Raneados wrote: »
    do not not not learn japanese from anime

Japanese people HATE that, I am told

Why would I do that, wouldn't that make my Japanese full of slang. Wouldn't it also lack the correct tone of respect...

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why would you? It's got to be much harder trying to learn Japanese from Anime than from a textbook anyway.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Interesting thread, I won't have to make it. :)

Say, I've seen the CDs and books mentionned in here, and they seemed interesting. Do you have any good sort of "Eng / Jap, Jap / Eng" dictionnary to suggest?

Djiem on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Interesting thread, I won't have to make it. :)

Say, I've seen the CDs and books mentionned in here, and they seemed interesting. Do you have any good sort of "Eng / Jap, Jap / Eng" dictionnary to suggest?

best one I've ever found

http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/fg=r/inline/dict

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nice, thanks.
    Any good print format book, though?
    It's for a trip to Japan in my case.

Djiem on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hai does not mean "yes". It is an acknowledgement. "Hai" is basically "I agree with you". Sometimes it means yes, sometimes it does not from an English grammatical point of view as we can handle negatives by saying "yes" and people will know what we mean. Also, this doenst take into account the politeness factor that many Japanese answers "require". Just shouting hai or iie (thats no) to a question is typically rude (especially iie) as they can mean anywhere in the range of "you are right / okay / yes / i agree" to "no, i dont agree / you are wrong and an idiot for implying that".

Hai just acknowledges you heard someone or telling them you agree or acknowledging direct orders from superiors (if you watch an anime of gundam or some military one you can see hai = yes sir or no sir / maam).

Iie is not just "no" either as you can use it to show modesty, such as when someone compliments youre wife or car or something, you can say "iie" for a"its not all that" type of answer. Just saying "hai" to agree with them would be insulting and a sign of bragging.

So yes, you can generally say hai = yes and iie = no, but you would be wrong for someone trying to learn the language. Watching anime = hai / yes type responses, not real life type responses.

For learning, http://www.kanjistep.com/ is a great site to find all the calligraphy steps to writing in kata / hira gana and kanjis. They have several simple lessons as well. Make flash cards and take a page (like you did in elementary for cursive and printing) and write every kata / hira gana out across lines (practice just like they show you on the site, each stroke in correct order). After you learn the different characters (practice saying them when you pull them out like i = long e sound, ki = sounds like key, etc), you can mix them up and identify them as kata or hira and recognize them on sight. Take random sorted packs on the bus / in car / etc for random practice on the go.

http://www.learn-japanese.info/ is another good site and has links to many others. There are several pod casts as well that can be found online where people have conversations and go over the sentences in step by step fashion that let you experience actual people speaking Japanese and help you learn quicker and pick out words from sentences faster (at least I found it that way). After that, you will need to either find a tutor / class or buy books / library to learn more kanji and grammar / vocabulary.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    KVW, at the end of this youtube clip there is a convo and they say hai, like 20 times in the convo. Is it because his Japanese is bad and he is telling her that he understands what was said?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KVW, at the end of this youtube clip there is a convo and they say hai, like 20 times in the convo. Is it because his Japanese is bad and he is telling her that he understands what was said?

While it probably seems like I made a big deal about "hai" and it not meaning yes exclusively, it is fairly often used that way. I just wanted to make sure that it is not an exact translation and not to just take it at face value as a yes / no thing. Having said that, without seeing the video, it could be completely wrong or used perfectly and so on. For all I know, the guy could just be agreeing to whatever the other is saying to him sort of like when you get nagged at and just say yes to get the person to leave you alone.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You look at this?

That is the first thing I did and you have to have the XP disc to install the packs.
    You need to activate the "language bar" or something. You'll get this toolbar that'll be hanging out on your computer screen.

Once you have the language bar, you can switch from "EN" to "JP." Then, you need to click the "A" on this toolbar and pick "H" to have your typing converted to hiragana and stuff, or "K" to have it converted to katakana.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You look at this?

You need to activate the "language bar" or something. You'll get this toolbar that'll be hanging out on your computer screen.

Once you have the language bar, you can switch from "EN" to "JP." Then, you need to click the "A" on this toolbar and pick "H" to have your typing converted to hiragana and stuff, or "K" to have it converted to katakana.

I just started messing around with the typing conversion, and it's fun. :D

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I can only see Japanese text but I can't type it because the language pack I have is not complete.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg