As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Up-Converting DVD Player

Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of NothingJust a ShowRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a good up-converting DVD player. I've been using my PS2 as a DVD player, which sucks as it is. I bought myself a 42" DLP quite a while back, and I'm finally trying to decide on an up-converting player to replace the PS2.

I don't know how many of you may have experience with more than one up-converting dvd player, but I'm looking for some recommendations if any of you have an opinion.

Also, if anyone knows some good places to get HDMI cables and the like for a relatively low price, that'd be a bonus, too.

Vargas Prime on

• embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a Sony DVD player that upconverts, and it works great and looks great. I connect it via HDMI.
    Edit: The model I have is the DVP-NS90V. It's a really good player. Read the reviews there on Amazon for some folks who agree with me :)

As for cheap cables, go to Monoprice. They're great quality, and cheap! Everyone here will recommend them.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OPPO DVD Players

These are amazing and the price is very good too. Using a DVD test disc, it scored higher than a lot of the more expensive units.

And I believe they were also offering a free HDMI cable with it.

Edit: Here you go!. Comes with a HDMI cable.

phamtq on
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    phamtq wrote: »
    OPPO DVD Players

These are amazing and the price is very good too. Using a DVD test disc, it scored higher than a lot of the more expensive units.

And I believe they were also offering a free HDMI cable with it.

Edit: Here you go!. Comes with a HDMI cable.

That looks like a good one if you want the DivX playback as well, which can be nice to have. Also, the Sony I linked, while quite a bit less, won't do 1080p like this one, just up to 1080i (Which is as high as my particular TV will go)

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, my Samsung DLP only goes to 1080i, as well, so the 1080p capability isn't a must-have at the moment.

Vargas Prime on
    edited August 2007
    It also has DCDi Faroudja chip which is an EXTREMELY good de-interlacer. This is great if you are upscaling your DVDs.

phamtq on
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    the PS3 can up-convert, no? it's a blu-ray player and console as well, so if you decide to get one in the future since you've got a ps2, a regular dvd player might seem like a waste.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
    edited August 2007
    But not all DVD players upscale the same way. Some have better chips and better algorithms.

phamtq on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I can also testify to OPPO's awesomeness. I have one of my own. It's honestly comparable to Blu-ray a lot of the time, the upscaling is that good. It's also region-free, plays divx, and does 1080p. Absolutely perfect player.

Urian on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    I can also testify to OPPO's awesomeness. I have one of my own. It's honestly comparable to Blu-ray a lot of the time, the upscaling is that good. It's also region-free, plays divx, and does 1080p. Absolutely perfect player.

OMG they're region-free too?

Bought. Bought hard.

Now I can legitimately own and watch Spaced and Black Books on DVD!

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705