As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS question.

collinccollinc Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times, but I've looked around and can't seem to find an answer.

I know the DS has the wireless download games, so is it even necessary to buy any DS games or will I be able to download most of them? Especially the HDTS games.

Free cake. Inquire within.
collinc on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It depends on the game. Quite a few will require you to have a copy, including Mario Kart and Puzzle Quest.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2007
    I'm sure it's possible to go through the entire event without carrying some DS games, but I'd just bring what you've got as far as multiplayer games (it can't hurt).

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well I just bought a DS specifically for PAX. Right now I only have Pokemon Diamond. Mario Kart was the big on I was leaning on, I will need to get my kart racing on.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    StealthStealth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There is always the "download wireless play" option, but a lot of games restrict what you can do if only one person has the cartridge. Find few games you're interested in and buy them, because worst case scenario, you've got some sweet new games! Personally, I'm going to be bringing Starfox, Mario Kart, and Tetris for sure... I'd bring games like Nintendogs, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, but the problem is I've hardly played on them lately.

Stealth on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bring MKDS. My snakes. Let me show you them.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    jay427jay427 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Definitely buy games for it. If you run into 7 people who are playing MKDS and all have carts, I guarantee that they won't let you in without a cart, as you would be seiously limiting the variety of tracks available, as well as slowing everyone down...MKDS should be in EVERY ds owner's library as well....so should Puzzle Quest and Tetris.

jay427 on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    While you can definitely go thru PAX without a single game, either playing games that don't require you to own it or just enjoying the rare opportunity to actually use Picto-Chat, I would suggest you buy games anyways.

Why own a DS without any games? You don't even have to pick up multiplayer games, just pick up a couple really great DS titles.

If I was going to recommend a couple games to pick up, New Super Mario Bros. would be great for both PAX and non-PAX. I love Phoenix Wright on the DS, but then again that isn't multi-player.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Uh... you don't need Mario Kart or Tetris DS to play against someone who has it. I know this from prior experience. You just connect and download enough of it from the other person to play against them.

padmeamanda on
  • Options
    KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Uh... you don't need Mario Kart or Tetris DS to play against someone who has it. I know this from prior experience. You just connect and download enough of it from the other person to play against them.

Except then you don't get the whole play experience. For example, with Mario Kart, you only get a very limited selection of tracks and characters to play with as a Download Play gamer.

Kyouteki on
  • Options
    padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kyouteki wrote: »

Except then you don't get the whole play experience. For example, with Mario Kart, you only get a very limited selection of tracks and characters to play with as a Download Play gamer.

Well yes, that's obvious. But you can still play the game against another person on an even playing ground. Although it's not exactly even anyway if they have been playing the game a lot longer than you. Even so, it's not worth buying the game now just to play against someone else with the game, since they've still probably been playing longer than you, because you only have like a week or two left to practice. :) So... yeah, do whatever makes you feel more uber. Personally, I think it's a lot more satisfying to beat someone at their own game than to pretend I'm good at something I just bought. :lol:

padmeamanda on
This discussion has been closed.