As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Downloadable Audio-Book Services?

MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to have some books in audio form so that I can entertain myself from time to time while resting my poor eyes. I figured that light but lengthy fare like the Wheel of Time series would be perfect for this. Imagine my surprise when I found that when WoT made the jump from paperback to mp3, its price became $Texas. So, obviously the thing to do is find a more economical way to procure audio-books.

Right now I'm looking at audible.com, which has a $15/month subscription plan on which you can accquire (and own) one book per month. It seems a good deal; I don't think I'd go through more than one audio-book in a month. Does anyone know of another good service?

Thanks!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
Mahnmut on

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My library is part of a service that allows card-holders to download audibooks. I doubt that you go to my library, but perhaps yours has something similar.

Even if you couldn't download them, I'm sure they'd have them on CDs that you could rip to MP3 quite easily.

Taximes on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This site has a large listing of audio books from the public domain that can be downloaded for free,

http://librivox.org/

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I looked around for other services, and Audible was a pretty good deal, as you could get books or radio (Car Talk), or newspapers or whatever. Nice feature was how you didn't have to d/l right away; could save in your account, then d/l later.

Looks like they've got some crazy credit thing now. Don't know what that's all about. Used to be just d/l two or three "things" per month, either book, or radio, or whatever.

I went to www.audiobooks.com, and looks like most of the fiction are abbridged. Forget that, yo!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    RecoillessRecoilless Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Audible.com
    Pretty good. Plus you can keep signing up under new names for more free books.

Recoilless on
    Once a month women act the way men do all the time.
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Itunes has audiobooks, though I've never used them so I'm not sure of their selection/price.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    skeldare wrote: »
    Itunes has audiobooks, though I've never used them so I'm not sure of their selection/price.

It's not a fantastic selection, and the prices are fairly high. Anyhow, thanks all. My local library also has a miserable audio-book selection (first place I checked), but I'll be making some use of that librivox site for sure. :)

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89