As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Thread: The tabletop game for people who can read.

NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Critical Failures
Whats this warhammer thingy?

Warhammer is a tabletop minatures game made by Games Workshop and set in a universe of the same name. Its a gritty unforgiving setting where men are men, Skaven are Skaven, and Ladys in lakes may or may not be elves.
wikipedia wrote:
Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles, formerly Warhammer Fantasy Battle and often abbreviated to Warhammer, is a tabletop wargame created by Games Workshop and the origin of the Warhammer Fantasy setting.

The game is played with 'regiments' of fantasy miniatures. It uses stock fantasy races such as humans, elves, dwarfs, undead, orcs, goblins, vampires, as well as some more unusual types such as lizardmen, skaven, etc. Each race has its own unique strengths and flaws; Wood Elves, for example, have some of the most powerful archers in the game but have poor overall defense.

Since first appearing in 1983, Warhammer has been periodically updated and re-released with changes to the gaming system and army lists. The current official version is the seventh edition, released on 9 September 2006.

Looks like a bunch of toy soliders to me
It is, but these toy soidiers are servants to the dark gods, who tend to walk around stabbing each other

I used to do that when I was six with my army men!
Yes but warhammer is a tabletop strategy game. Each "little plastic man" is the result of painstaking and rewarding work, and the game itself is a tactical game based mainly on movement. Its like Airfix and chess combined, thats if chess had catapults and Airfix had models that represented damnation itself.

I see, so what races can I choose?
Because his post was awsome, and I am lazy, Hes Morskitters fantastic race post thing.

Morskittar wrote:
Who’s Killin’ Who?

Beasts of Chaos
beastsofchaos-armybook-cover.gif

Beasts of Chaos are the “other” Chaos army: grubby, dirty beastmen, minotaurs, centaurs, and other gribblies. Y’now that creepy medieval picture of a satyr-daemon-thing on a woman’s chest? That’s these guys.

Bretonnia
bretonnia-armybook-cover.gif

Pre-revolution French, King Arthur’s knights, and the oppressed peasants from Monty Python and the Holy Grail squished into an army full of heavy cavalry charges, uppity nobles, and oppressed peasants.

Dark Elves
darkelves-armybook-cover.gif

Ever wanted to play a wargame with Elric’s Melnibonean kin? Drugs, pointy ears, slaves, and the least fruity elves since medieval myth, these guys have little to do with Tolkien’s fairies.

Dogs of War
giant-graphic.jpg

Everything else. Tilean (read: 15th century Italian) pikemen, giants, ogres, and suicidal dwarf pirates (seriously), Dogs of War is a catch-all for various mercenaries that can be played on their own, or as additions to other forces.

Dwarfs
dwarfs-armybook-cover.gif

Like every other dwafs ever, except more obsessed with gold, drunker, and a lot more sullen. If Gimli were a Warhammer dwaf, he would’ve spent three weeks checking a giant gold-lined book, found the time one of Aragorn’s ancestors scuffed his new boot, then cut the man’s head off as payment.

The Empire
empire-armybook-cover.gif

The point-of-view for most of the Warhammer World (and setting for WFRP), the Empire is an especially mad take on the 16th century, pre-Protestant Holy Roman Empire. Empire armies have it all, from state-licensed battle wizards to experimental steam and gunpowder cannons. Also, codpieces, tights, and jaunty caps. The Empire is the most stylish fantasy realm ever.

High Elves
highelves-armybook-cover.gif

Yeah, they’re somewhat like Tolkien’s elves. Except how they’re a bit less “fade into the West” and more “exert control over everything like some facist hyper-Roman/British empire grasping at the last vestiges of divine right”. So they’re more like Tolkien’s elves, with balls.

Hordes of Chaos
hordesofchaos-armybook-cover.gif

Willing servants of Chaos, most of this army is super elite, close combat units. If the Dark Side wasn’t a bunch of whiny bitches and old guys… it’d still be half as apocalyptically badass as Chaos. Except they still always lose… until next time they march to destroy the world for sure.

Lizardmen
lizardmen-armybook-cover.gif

Biological automatons created by the Old Ones to do stuff. The lizardmen are a smelly and stupid. Die-die lizard-things.

Ogre Kingdoms
ogre-side-art.jpg

Ogres are as fat as your mom. And way more badass, ‘cause they can eat rocks, horses, and have really bit swords and hammers. That’s pretty much all there is to them.

Greenskins
orcsgoblins-armybook-cover.gif

WAAAGH!!!

Skaven
skaven-armybook-cover.gif

The skaven don’t exist. If they did, however, they’d rule the stupid manthings in short order and be the primary protagonists of Warhammer, destined by the will of their god to rule the above-dwellers for all eternity.

Tomb Kings
tombkings-armybook-cover.gif

Undead that don’t suck. The Tomb Kings are the by-product of Nagash’s experiments and ambitions, who happens to be one of the coolest characters in Warhammer. Tomb Kings are less cool, but they could still beat the shit out of Brendan Frasier and Indiana Jones. At the same time.

Vampire Counts
vampirecounts-armybook-cover.gif

Whiny bitches, just like in every fantasy setting, ever. Warhammer vampires are a little cooler, though, ‘cause they were another inadvertent creation of Nagash.

Wood Elves
woodelves-armybook-cover.gif

Before Tolkien and Christmas came along, elves were vengeful, nasty, spirits of the forest. These guys skip Tolkien and get back to that. They’re not nice, they keep human children as drugged-up slaves, and they’re allied with possibly Chaotic (or just insane) trees. Also, the Bretonnians are their unknowing bitches.

Also Chaos dwarfs, although theyare tournament legal there not supported at the moment, but theres allot of nudging and winking involved when there mentioned, and they've popped up in a few of the recent army books, as well as getting models in the Storm Of Chaos

This shit seems expensive
It can be, but if you shop around you can get some pretty cheap deals, and despite the cost, youve got to agree GW makes some quality models. Ein put up a fantastic set of links to help you get some decent prices, and Ive included it below
Where can I buy this stuff online?
http://www.games-workshop.com/ - The main site. Not the cheapest place to get minis, but if you can't find it anywhere else...

http://www.forgeworld.com/ - Beautiful resin models to add spiff to any army. The place to go if you love your hobby, but hate your wallet.

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk - Consistent discounts, extra discounts on 5+ 'army bundles', free international shipping, great selection. Used as #1 seller by myself and several other users.

http://www.chaosorc.com - Good discounts (particularly on large items), cheap shipping. patchy selection but carries lots of older products and non-GW stuff. Some items aren't clearly labeled differently from older versions, but they're a good alternative on specific items.

http://thewarstore.com/ - Excellent selection, good discounts, good service. 20% off normal prices, 25% off orders of $400 (adjusted price) or more. $3.95 shipping flat rate (free on certain orders I believe.)

http://www.bartertown.com/ - The place to go when looking for like-minded people with models for trade and sale. I just picked up a Forgeworld Warhound Titan for half-off from someone who needed to raise cash for a ring.

Other places of Note:
http://www.warseer.com - Currently about the biggest GW-related forum on the net.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/ - Space Marines, and high fashion (not really)

http://www.the-waaagh.com - Orks orks orks orks! Jobs a gud'un boss.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/ - They used to be cool. Kinda fallen on hard times.

http://www.the-warforge.com - Ein's modelling and converting site. Totally slipped this into the OP because I could.

And because you need a way to cart all your wonderful new toys around, here are a couple recommendations beyond what you can get from GW:

Sabol Army Transports A little expensive, but I use them exclusively, because of the quite reasonable international shipping price, and mostly for the fact that you can custom cut the foam trays to fit your models. Also available from the War Store, and BattleWagon Bits.

Figures in Comfort A wide range of precut foam trays, and carrying cases for whatever your needs.

TL: DR-WARHAMMERS.

Norgoth on

• Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Marking this thread. With my pee. So I can find it again.

Cynic Jester on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, my Ogre Kingdoms game vs. The Chaos Dwarves!

I lost. :(

It came down to turn six, victory points, and he won by 127 points for a minor victory. It really shouldn't have been so close, but his single earthshaker cannon misfired on the first round, and blew up.

Having played the Ogre Kingdoms enough now, i'm saddened by some of their limitations, say, compared to the regular Dwarves, who have insane customability and lots of solid choices. The OK army is just inherently limited, and I want to say, at a slight disadvantage in most games from lack of choices. Maybe i'm seeing it wrong, but that's just how I'm callin' it. I'm still a new guy sorta, so i'd be willing to listen to a counter point or two, if I haven't seen the big picture.

Anyways, next few games, I intend to try even things up. Rhinox Cavalry, here we come.

3lwap0 on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    So, my Ogre Kingdoms game vs. The Chaos Dwarves!

I lost. :(

It came down to turn six, victory points, and he won by 127 points for a minor victory. It really shouldn't have been so close, but his single earthshaker cannon misfired on the first round, and blew up.

Having played the Ogre Kingdoms enough now, i'm saddened by some of their limitations, say, compared to the regular Dwarves, who have insane customability and lots of solid choices. The OK army is just inherently limited, and I want to say, at a slight disadvantage in most games from lack of choices. Maybe i'm seeing it wrong, but that's just how I'm callin' it. I'm still a new guy sorta, so i'd be willing to listen to a counter point or two, if I haven't seen the big picture.

Anyways, next few games, I intend to try even things up. Rhinox Cavalry, here we come.

Nope, ogres are very limited and its there main problem. Bear in mind that this is there first army book ever, as opposed to say chaos, who have had a good 7 editions of warhammer to get new units and such. When Ogres V2 hits, I expect the number of options to jump up alot. Some friends and I were talking the other day and common consensus was that if they did away with gut charges, and gave you CR for charging ogres instead then ogres usability whould massively increase.

That said I have seen some Ogre armies win some impressive victory's, so OK are still a usable army, there main problem is that all OK armies are the same.

Norgoth on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Eh, you're actually mostly right; OK are, despite all appearances to the contrary, a finesse army. You can't just put your head down and charge, hoping for the best. Unfortunately, this is how a lot of Ogre special rules work...

Actually, it reminds me of back when the Ogres first came out and everyone thought they were unbeatable and beardy cheese etc. Some guy came into my local GW wanting to check out the OK, but the only staff guy was busy, so I volunteered to use one of the store armies against this guy's OK. The staffer said yes, so I picked Tomb Kings, having never played them before. I picked a bunch of bowmen, some spears and a prince with the flail. The last anyone saw of the bruiser, my prince was gilding his skull to add to his flail...

Nothing to do with what you were saying but I like to ramble occasionally.
    Anyway, yeah, the OK army has relatively limited options, since it has barely any missile fire that isn't gnoblar related. On the other hand, if you are having trouble with warmachines and/or cavalry, you want gorgers/yhetees because gorgers kick small unit ass and yhetees have M7 (and therefore 3d6 pursuit) and ignore terrain movement penalties.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited August 2007
    Ive seen a few tournament players using this tactic when playing ogres
    ogresir0.jpg

Its a little risky though, as it involves lots of small units.

Norgoth on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If a Tomb King is flammable, why would he ride a chariot of fire?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007

More importantly why do Vampire counts get 20 skeles a box and tomb kings only 16 when there exactly the same skeleton?

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »

More importantly why do Vampire counts get 20 skeles a box and tomb kings only 16 when there exactly the same skeleton?

They say it's for the tomb kings specific archer sprue or some shit.
    After you've purchased at least two of the tomb kings boxes, you should just buy VC boxes and swap your extra TK bits in.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007

They say it's for the tomb kings specific archer sprue or some shit.
    After you've purchased at least two of the tomb kings boxes, you should just buy VC boxes and swap your extra TK bits in.

Yeah I know a guy who has tons of the shields, so I can just buy two 'vc boxes and have all my skeles, as opposed to like 3 tk ones.

Edit: Also im pretty much done with my first unit of Warriors and chariots, Its just the Horsemen and my Lich priests and im done with my battalion.

Norgoth on
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ogresir0.jpg

Ogre units don't have 360' LOS do they?

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited August 2007
    ogresir0.jpg

They dont need it, The goblins are within their 90' arc, its just my hasty mspaint picture being crap. Bear in mind if the ogres flee the goblins/humans/whatever are going to fail and only move like 4"

Norgoth on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I'm starting an Empire army. So far I've got two wizards (one mounted, one on foot), a Captain on a warhorse (I call him Captain Hobo because he's mostly made oout of spare cannon crew bits), 16 Spearmen and 20something Handgunners.

I know my next purchase will be 2 units of Swordsmen and a Great Cannon or two, but I'm unsure as to how to go about buying it all. I'll be at GenCon next week and I hope to find deals there , but if not, should I get the $90 battalion box or save up for the huge army box? There's no way in hell I'm paying $22 for 10 Empire footsoldiers, that's for damn sure.

LibrarianThorne on
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ogresir0.jpg

They dont need it, The goblins are within their 90' arc, its just my hasty mspaint picture being crap. Bear in mind if the ogres flee the goblins/humans/whatever are going to fail and only move like 4"
    I was just curious, I get that it would work anyway (so long as a load more goblins don't show up :)). I Don't know any OK players.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I'm starting an Empire army. So far I've got two wizards (one mounted, one on foot), a Captain on a warhorse (I call him Captain Hobo because he's mostly made oout of spare cannon crew bits), 16 Spearmen and 20something Handgunners.

I know my next purchase will be 2 units of Swordsmen and a Great Cannon or two, but I'm unsure as to how to go about buying it all. I'll be at GenCon next week and I hope to find deals there , but if not, should I get the $90 battalion box or save up for the huge army box? There's no way in hell I'm paying $22 for 10 Empire footsoldiers, that's for damn sure.
    Buy free-company boxes.

They are the best sprue ever.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »

Buy free-company boxes.

They are the best sprue ever.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm planning to. The background for my army is that it was a mercenary company only recently recruited into the Empire's standing army proper, so there'll be a hard core of state troops supplemented by asstons of Free Company and Dogs of War (I'm looking at Kislevites and the unit of Ogres that carries cannons around).

FC is also, currently, the best buy for Empire core as it comes with what, 16 guys? Hell of a lot better than the damn state troops box.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited August 2007
    God, basing chariots is a pain in the arse.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    God, basing chariots is a pain in the arse.

Yeah, there's really no good way to do it.
    You can build the base and chariot separately, and then suffer the consequences as you thrash a fully painted model while putting it all together, or you can glue the chariot to the base, and then add the horses once everything is painted, completely neglecting the underside of the chariot.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007
    I glue the horses on the base and keep the chariot unglued, makes them easier to carry. Its just painting such a large area is a pain, especially with sand on it, its just so patchy.

Norgoth on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    pin holes in wheels of the chariot

pin holes in the bottom of the feet of the horses

pins sticking out of the base

easy to remove and transport, easy to reassemble and move around

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I glue the horses on the base and keep the chariot unglued, makes them easier to carry. Its just painting such a large area is a pain, especially with sand on it, its just so patchy.
    So don't paint the sand.
    If you really must have it coloured, put some paint in the PVA you use to stick the sand yo the base and it will come out nicely coloured.
    Especially if you put a second coat of coloured glue on top once the first one has dried.
    Also, you can break up a large base by only using patches of sand and using static grass for the rest.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited August 2007
    So I've been working on my skaven a bit this weekend, and as I'm building this Bubonic Court army, something isn't sitting right with me.
    A few months ago I was told that clanrats were a mainstay unit for the bubonic court list, but I'm looking at this Lustria book, and nowhere does it say that you must include clanrats with the army. In fact, clanrats aren't even on the army list.

Does anyone know how this is really supposed to look?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ogresir0.jpg

I was just curious, I get that it would work anyway (so long as a load more goblins don't show up :)). I Don't know any OK players.

The tactic you posted works, if your line of ogres is properly arranged. You actually have to stagger the line a bit, since it's possible for the over-run attempt to take you past the 90 degree arc, and thus, you can't flank charge. The kick is that it's not very often your center unit that is the bait is in that position, but a flank unit. That's still okay, you'll get a flank charge, but only 1.

If my time with the Ogres has taught me anything, it's that you will not win combat res, unless you do massive casualties, and then, maybe. Example: I had 3 bulls, a butcher, and 2 gorgers on the flank, on a chaos dwarf warrior unit, and still couldn't win combat res, even killing 5 of them a turn.

So the trick is to keep your units as small as possible. Three bulls, or Ironguts, tops. Add a Hero or Lord unit in, and keep it small. Leadblechers need to move in two man units, to maximze your field of fire. Keep the units small, for God's sake flank with your insane movement rate, and you might have a chance. Against low movement armies, you will have a turn 2 or 3 flank, easy. Keep your center units the toughest, with Trollguts, and heavy armour, and just pray.

And that's it. That's one real strategy i've deduced. Man, it just ain't easy being an Ogre these days.

3lwap0 on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, I need to start making a 1k list to fight Morskittar with at PAX.

(But mostly I just wanted the Blue Dot)

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
    edited August 2007
    Here's the Empire list I plan on buying. Note the Ogres don't have their cost because I don't have access to an OK book and so don't know them, I just know I needs them in the list.
    Lord
    General of the Empire on Barded Warhorse- Runefang, full plate armor, shield, lance (216)

Heroes
    Captain on Barded Warhorse- Lance, Full Plate armor, shield (72)

Level 2 Wizard on Warhorse- 2 Dispel Scrolls (125)

Level 1 Wizard- Van Horstmann's Speculum (95)

Core

20 Spearmen- Full command, Shields (130)
    2 detachments of 10 Free Company (100)

20 Swordsmen- Full command, Banner of Valour (160)
    1 detachment of 10 Handgunners (80), 1 detachment of 10 Free Company (50)

10 Handgunners (80)

20 Spearmen- Shields, full command (130)
    2 detachments of 10 Free Company (100)

10 Handgunners (80)

Special
    Inner Circle Knights- 8, full command, Steel Standard (268)

Great Cannon (100)

5 Gryphon Legion- full command (170)

Rare

Helblaster Volley Gun (110)

3 Ogre Leadbelchers (165) Thanks Echo!

Total: 2151

LibrarianThorne on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Leadbelchers = 55pts each.

Echo on
    edited August 2007
    Thanks a million, Echo.

Looks like, without the Ogres, I have 2000. But the Ogres are so damned awesome.

LibrarianThorne on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm trying to think of how to expand this Dwarf list to 2000
    20 Dwarf Warriors @ 205 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield
    Veteran w/ Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield

20 Dwarf Warriors @ 205 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield
    Veteran w/ Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield

10 Thunderers @ 140 Pts
    Hand Weapon; Dwarf Handgun; Light Armor

Cannon @ 165 Pts
    Master Rune of Defense; Rune of Fortune; Rune of Reloading; Cannon
    3 Crew w/ Hand Weapon; Light Armor

Thane @ 142 Pts
    General; Hand Weapon; Gromril Armor; Shield
    Runic Weapon; Rune of Cleaving
    Runic Armor; Master Rune of Steel; Rune of Stone

10 Slayers @ 143 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Slayer; Unbreakable
    Giant Slayer; Hand Weapon

Total Roster Cost: 1000

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks a million, Echo.

Looks like, without the Ogres, I have 2000. But the Ogres are so damned awesome.

that's because leadbelchers are terrifying

PiptheFair on
    edited August 2007
    I'm working on a Clan Pestilens Mordheim band, so I've been futzing around with sharp's nurgle wash.

One of the first few attempts (but not the first, as that one was way too bright.)
    skavenwash1.jpg

Once I had a result I liked, I applied the wash to the rest of the warband as a base.
    skavenwash2.jpg

And this is my color test model for the rest of the band.
    I want his armor to look a bit more coppery, and I think I'm going to pick up a different brown tomorrow and toss it on as another highlight.
    I'm stoked how well the green wash basecoat gave him a sickly look though.
    skavensample.jpg

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I've been working on my skaven a bit this weekend, and as I'm building this Bubonic Court army, something isn't sitting right with me.
    A few months ago I was told that clanrats were a mainstay unit for the bubonic court list, but I'm looking at this Lustria book, and nowhere does it say that you must include clanrats with the army. In fact, clanrats aren't even on the army list.

Nope, Clanrats aren't even on the list.

Heroes:

Festering Chantor
    Nurglitch and Retinue
    Plague Lord
    Plague Pontifex
    Plague Priest
    Stinking Thing

Core:
    Plague Monks
    Pusbags
    Rat Swarms
    Rotten Rodents

Special:
    Frothing Giant Rats
    Plague Censer Bearers

Rare:
    Mad Rat Ogres
    Rat Spawn

Joeslop on
    edited August 2007
    I was just talking to a friend (who plays O&G) about my Empire list, and he was basically yelling at me for playing an underpowered list. He said that I should go either all Handgunners/Cannons or all cavalry. Now, I'm not planning on playing in any real GW tournaments with this list because at all the 40k tourneys I went to I had a rather unspectacular time of it, and I just don't enjoy competitive Warhammer all that much. However, is my list terribly underpowered? Should I drop the Leadbelchers and Gryphon Legion for more cost-effective units or is my list, as it stands, relatively powerful? Having fun is important to me, but winning does play a factor in that and constantly losing drives me away from games.

So, what I'm asking is, was my friend correct? If he was, what changes would you lads and lasses suggest?

LibrarianThorne on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    He's telling you to play an all gun line list because they tear shit apart.

But they are also zero fun to play against, and will most likely leave you with no one wanting to play you.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
    edited August 2007
    Joeslop wrote: »

Nope, Clanrats aren't even on the list.

Heroes:

Festering Chantor
    Nurglitch and Retinue
    Plague Lord
    Plague Pontifex
    Plague Priest
    Stinking Thing

Core:
    Plague Monks
    Pusbags
    Rat Swarms
    Rotten Rodents

Special:
    Frothing Giant Rats
    Plague Censer Bearers

Rare:
    Mad Rat Ogres
    Rat Spawn

Nice, this (mostly) plague monk army is going to tear ass.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your friend is full of shit. The handgunners n' cannons army is pretty much the Empire's unimaginative cheese list.

If anything, you've got what's otherwise known as a "well balanced" army.

But, if I may make a suggestion;

It is entirely your choice, but the General isn't the most attractive choice. I mean, the runefang is quite nice, but it's still three wounds at most, which is nice but not particularly impressive. The extra banner for the state troops has also been horribly nerfed since the last version, as none of the sub-50pt banners are particularly useful, and the Griffon standard got bumped 5 points out of eligibility.

To put it another way, that it's always been put in regards to Empire armies; the general isn't meant to be a combat character, he's meant to help the troops via boosting their leadership. If you want a combat character, there are better choices, and as a leader the Elector Count/General has been somewhat nerfed to obsolescence.

Now, if you want someone to kill shit, grab a Grandmaster. If you want someone to be an amazing leader, grab an Arch Lector and stick him in the middle of your line.

Edit: also, oh dear god I hate plaguemonks, and their related plague-things.

And the guy who uses them makes sure to insist I make any unit champions take a seperate toughness test for that plague censer thing.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Plague Monks aren't that scary. Even with 16 attacks in the front ranls, I find that mine never really kill that much. Hell, in the last game I played it took them 3 rounds of combat to rout a unit of 10 Thunderers standing in a line. They hadn't even lost a rank form shooting either.

Plague Censer Bearers, now they're what will give you the Plague and kill you in a gruesome pus filled death. Then there are the Flails, and the Frenzy and the Hatred.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Your friend is full of shit. The handgunners n' cannons army is pretty much the Empire's unimaginative cheese list.

If anything, you've got what's otherwise known as a "well balanced" army.

But, if I may make a suggestion;

It is entirely your choice, but the General isn't the most attractive choice. I mean, the runefang is quite nice, but it's still three wounds at most, which is nice but not particularly impressive. The extra banner for the state troops has also been horribly nerfed since the last version, as none of the sub-50pt banners are particularly useful, and the Griffon standard got bumped 5 points out of eligibility.

To put it another way, that it's always been put in regards to Empire armies; the general isn't meant to be a combat character, he's meant to help the troops via boosting their leadership. If you want a combat character, there are better choices, and as a leader the Elector Count/General has been somewhat nerfed to obsolescence.

Now, if you want someone to kill shit, grab a Grandmaster. If you want someone to be an amazing leader, grab an Arch Lector and stick him in the middle of your line.

Edit: also, oh dear god I hate plaguemonks, and their related plague-things.

And the guy who uses them makes sure to insist I make any unit champions take a seperate toughness test for that plague censer thing.

WHY is right, your friend is full of shit. Handgunner lines are good, but it suffers from Rock/paper/scissors syndrome. I played an empire handgunner army the other day with my wood elves. I just hid behind trees, got my wardancers on the flank and rolled up his whole line. Its true Tournament armys are designed to do one thing incredibly well, but they still make provisions to stop them being massacred by some random guys gorgers/miners. I have a friend who plays an empire gunline, but he also brings along two units of 25 swordsmen, and he does fairly well.

Basiclly Balance>OMGSUPERCHEESE, because whilsts gunning down hordes of men is nice, it only really works against certain opponents. Also if you play in a regular group it will take exactly one game for them to alter there list to own you.

Norgoth on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    More importantly, Gunline armies aren't that mcuh fun for either side. There isn't much movemen, and often it comes down to whether the gunline can kill enoguh of the enemy or rout enough units to survive in combat. Balanced armies are more enjoyable for all concerned.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    mani

what is that wash you're using? It's fucking sexy as hell.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2007
    Mani picture gives me an idea. If you PM me the pictures/links, Ill add a forumer army section to the OP.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    mani

what is that wash you're using? It's fucking sexy as hell.

It's something sharp posted in my bubonic court thread a while back. It took me a few tries to get the mix right, but my final proportions were 5 parts green paint (I used snot green), 5 parts brown ink, 2 parts brown paint, 2 parts black ink, 6 parts water, and 1 part future floor wax.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
This discussion has been closed.