As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Thread: The tabletop game for people who can read.

• Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I quite like your paint job Mani.

On that note, I am getting rid of my Beastmen on ebay or somewhere else. I don't want to paint Minotaurs as thet turned out to be not what I expected.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    noted. I'll be brewing up a batch of that tonight.

I wish I still had a bunch of those old film canisters. Those were always perfect for blending up paint mixes.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

On that note, I am getting rid of my Beastmen on ebay or somewhere else. I don't want to paint Minotaurs as thet turned out to be not what I expected.

How so ash?

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mani

what is that wash you're using? It's fucking sexy as hell.

It's something sharp posted in my bubonic court thread a while back. It took me a few tries to get the mix right, but my final proportions were 5 parts green paint (I used snot green), 5 parts brown ink, 2 parts brown paint, 2 parts black ink, 6 parts water, and 1 part future floor wax.

:D

This technique is also how I got my first 2000pts of Mortal Nurgle done in a month and a half.

I've painted about 5000pts of Fantasy Nurgle Models with it.

Its also going to be how I get 1500 pts of heavily converted Plague Marines done before October 27th.

And it was just a variation of the Skeleton Wash.
    noted. I'll be brewing up a batch of that tonight.

I wish I still had a bunch of those old film canisters. Those were always perfect for blending up paint mixes.

Man! My secret is out!

I go through so much brown ink (between this wash and doing all my bases with undiluted brown ink) that I have enough pots lying around. Most of my Wash batches start at about half a pot of brown ink, then dump shit right into the pot.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Most of my Wash batches start at about half a pot of brown ink, then dump shit right into the pot.

Oooh, that's a good idea.
    I usually do my bases with an incredibly watered down foundation paint, that I then dry brush on top of, but I may try this for my mordheim band.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to base them properly? Initially I wanted to do snow (because I got a free tub of flock from games day), but I'm not sure how well that'd work out. City streets and puddles? Rubble?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Most of my Wash batches start at about half a pot of brown ink, then dump shit right into the pot.

Oooh, that's a good idea.
    I usually do my bases with an incredibly watered down foundation paint, that I then dry brush on top of, but I may try this for my mordheim band.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to base them properly? Initially I wanted to do snow (because I got a free tub of flock from games day), but I'm not sure how well that'd work out. City streets and puddles? Rubble?

There was a urban basing set at one point, all shards of stone and resin building pieces. It was mostly 40k stuff, but it could be used for warhammer to. No idea if they still do it though. The traditional way is using slate, but it can be fragile. Theres always using choped up sprues as rubble. Cut it up into tiny sections scatter it randomly. Base it a dark grey and drybrush with a lighter colour.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of how to expand this Dwarf list to 2000
    20 Dwarf Warriors @ 205 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield
    Veteran w/ Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield

20 Dwarf Warriors @ 205 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield
    Veteran w/ Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield

10 Thunderers @ 140 Pts
    Hand Weapon; Dwarf Handgun; Light Armor

Cannon @ 165 Pts
    Master Rune of Defense; Rune of Fortune; Rune of Reloading; Cannon
    3 Crew w/ Hand Weapon; Light Armor

Thane @ 142 Pts
    General; Hand Weapon; Gromril Armor; Shield
    Runic Weapon; Rune of Cleaving
    Runic Armor; Master Rune of Steel; Rune of Stone

10 Slayers @ 143 Pts
    Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Slayer; Unbreakable
    Giant Slayer; Hand Weapon

Total Roster Cost: 1000

I'd add a Runesmith or two to fill out your Hero choices. So key against the magic lists you'll be encountering.

Runic Stone Throwers are a must, as well, or perhaps a pair of Bolt Throwers. The rule for Dwarf arilltery, generally, is "take it." With your last special choice I'd advocate a nice heavy choice of Ironbreakers for your general.

For Core, you may want one or two units of Great Weapon Warriors to act as counterchargers and general hardasses. Rangers might be an option as well, if you're building for a tourney, as there are those damnable "capture table quarters" scenarios. One or two more large blocks of Warriors might be advisable as well (I wouldn't spend more than 500 more points on your Core, to be honest). Really, your Core dpeends on what you play against most frequently.

For your rare choice, pick up an Organ Gun and, if you think you'll need the movement, the Gyrocopter can be a nasty surprise.

For your lord choice, the easy answer is the Runelord special character, but repeated uses of him will result in a fewer amount of people to play against. However, a normal Lord or Runelord could be of immense aid as well.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    mani - just make it asphalt and get a little bit of drywall gypsum to create rubble stones. Toss in a few odds and ends here and there for variety and you're set.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing.
    It's a shame that I glued them all to their bases before painting them. I found this cool plasticard that looks like cobblestones.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »

How so ash?

Well, The Minotaurs weren't what I expected. They seemed so...weird and they didn't feel right. I mean I like the Gors/Ungors, but Do I want to paint the minotaurs? Not really. I might think this through but I have been not doing them for a couple of days now. I don't know what else to do. I guess I could keep them and stay on the back burner for a while, but then agian, I might not do them. Especially since I started liking creating characters for the Desu Brigade and converting them.

Any comments on how I should proceed? I currently have all the gors/ungors primed and built and the Lord primed. I still have the Shaman unprimed, the 2 minotaurs unstripped and around 30 old gors from 5th edition unstripped as well.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »

How so ash?

Well, The Minotaurs weren't what I expected. They seemed so...weird and they didn't feel right. I mean I like the Gors/Ungors, but Do I want to paint the minotaurs? Not really. I might think this through but I have been not doing them for a couple of days now. I don't know what else to do. I guess I could keep them and stay on the back burner for a while, but then agian, I might not do them. Especially since I started liking creating characters for the Desu Brigade and converting them.

Any comments on how I should proceed? I currently have all the gors/ungors primed and built and the Lord primed. I still have the Shaman unprimed, the 2 minotaurs unstripped and around 30 old gors from 5th edition unstripped as well.

You chould probably convert some ogre bulls into minatours pretty easily. I know what you mean though, the current ones are ugly as sin.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I played against beastmen (for the first time) in the games day mega battle and I really liked the look of the ogres.
    (Honestly, the entire Beastmen model line is pretty snazzy and underrated.)

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I played against beastmen (for the first time) in the games day mega battle and I really liked the look of the ogres.
    (Honestly, the entire Beastmen model line is pretty snazzy and underrated.)

Oh I agree. I like the look of the Gors/Ungors and almost eevry line except for the Minotaurs. I mean the beasts I can run without the use of the Minos, but really what chance is there if I don't have any big hitters with blood lust?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The mino's have gigantic heads. Something more tauren-like would be optimal.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There are plenty more choices for Beasts of Chaos armies when it comes to big guys, aren't there? Am I remembering rightly that they can draw from the Hordes of Chaos list as Special or Rare choices or something?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    There are plenty more choices for Beasts of Chaos armies when it comes to big guys, aren't there? Am I remembering rightly that they can draw from the Hordes of Chaos list as Special or Rare choices or something?

In the 2000 point army list I have, I gave them 4 Minos. In the 6000 points list, which I wanted to collect, seeing how they are going agianst my Lizardmen, I gave them 4 Trolls, 2 units of 6 Minotaurs, 1 Dragon Shaggoth, 5 Dragon Ogers and 2 Spawn of Chaos. Thats most of them with the exception of the Giant.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Your friend is full of shit. The handgunners n' cannons army is pretty much the Empire's unimaginative cheese list.

If anything, you've got what's otherwise known as a "well balanced" army.

But, if I may make a suggestion;

It is entirely your choice, but the General isn't the most attractive choice. I mean, the runefang is quite nice, but it's still three wounds at most, which is nice but not particularly impressive. The extra banner for the state troops has also been horribly nerfed since the last version, as none of the sub-50pt banners are particularly useful, and the Griffon standard got bumped 5 points out of eligibility.

To put it another way, that it's always been put in regards to Empire armies; the general isn't meant to be a combat character, he's meant to help the troops via boosting their leadership. If you want a combat character, there are better choices, and as a leader the Elector Count/General has been somewhat nerfed to obsolescence.

Now, if you want someone to kill shit, grab a Grandmaster. If you want someone to be an amazing leader, grab an Arch Lector and stick him in the middle of your line.

Edit: also, oh dear god I hate plaguemonks, and their related plague-things.

And the guy who uses them makes sure to insist I make any unit champions take a seperate toughness test for that plague censer thing.

Thanks for the advice.

I took a harder look at the Arch Lector last night, and you're totally right. With the Prayers (specifically the RiP Unbreakable) he's an amazing anchor for my horde o' dudes, and I can give him Dwarf Lord level saves (1+ armor, 4+ Ward, Hammer of Judgement for great justice). Not to mention, throwing out those bound spells could force dispel dice out, leaving my mages to wreak ungodly havoc. Or my opponent plays smart and I get the nifty Prayers whilst my mages get shut down.

There's just so much cool shit in the Empire book. Already my list is going to cost me $475 or so, and it's a real effort to restrain myself from planning out another 1000 points.

I'm debating dropping the Gryphon Riders so that I can comfortably include the Ogres in the 2k list, as without the Gryphon Legion and with the Arch Lector (who'll be something like 30 or 40 points cheaper than the Elector Count/General of the Empire) I should have enough to cut the Gryphons and maybe add some more magical standards to the state troops. However, my only mounted unit being Inner Circle Knights screams to me that they're just going to get ripped to shreds if I use them offensively. The plan, at the moment, is that the Gryphon Legion and ICK would move up together, the Gryphons getting the first charge due to their delicious "eat Fear on the turn we charge" rule. Also, looking at the list for legality, it seems Kislevites aren't legal and I don't want to take crap in casual games over using not quite tourney legal units.

I'm really worried about breaking against a charge from something heinous like Orc Boyz or Chaos Warriors. The unit with the Arch-Lector should be fine, but the other units around them are going to be in a lot of trouble. Should I think about including more Battle Standards (+1 to combat res, common magic item)?

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Strategic placements or use of your detatchments is key here. Detatchments are the Empire's best special rule. They make their troops, who on paper are mediocre to slightly above average, absolutely incredible when it comes to winning combats.

Which is why I've come to follow the "Village Idiot" school of thought towards this army, where everything in a list is to support and otherwise maximize the effectiveness of the main troop blocks.

I only use knights in small units of 5 or 6, and they're there to act as a hammer unit, the war-machines and ranged units are there to take down any threats to the infantry, and to whittle down enemy formations so that they're easier to deal with.

As for Detatchments, you need to know how to use the rules to their maximum advantage. The supporting/counter charge and supporting fire rules are easy enough, and at most, rely on smart placement and movement. But, a 10-man unit of Free Company can also be a nice piece of bait to invite a charge by foolish generals or frenzied units, as a flee reaction will never cause panic in friendly troops, for example.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I'm playing against a Tombking army. Now i've seen them in action a few times, so I know what they're capable of, however, i've never actually played against them.

Here's what i'm bringing to the table:
    3x Rhinox Cavalry: w/Standard Bearer, 2x Iron Fists, Bellower, Thunderlord, 3x Bull Rhinox. Points: 533

1x Gorger: Points: 75

3x Bulls w/ Light armour, and one guy with an Ironfist. Points: 118

3x Bulls w/Light Armour, Ironfists. Points: 128

3x Iron Guts, w/ Standard Bearer. Points: 164

3x Iron Guts w/ Standard Bearer + Magical Banner. Points: 189

2x Butchers 2/ Dispel Scrolls, Powerstones a piece. Points: 390

1x Bruiser w/ Heavy Armour, Wyrdstone, Greedyfist, Greatweapon. Points: 192

2x Lead Belchers. Points: 110

Grand total: 1,999.

And yes, Rhinox Cav are legal in this game. Any advice?

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    anything you can do to get dispell dice. both of you are fear causing creatures so negate fear. just try and take out his chariots with out letting them get a charge off. If he rolls with his Tk in chariot that unit will take you to task easily. other then that if he has piles of skeletons get the flank on em to negate their outnumber bonus. they have str 3 and ws 2..so need 5 to hit and 4 to wound. So you should have the davantage when it comes to doing dmg / hitting. Really in those situations you want to get as many attacks as possible.

good luck

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited August 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    So I'm playing against a Tombking army. Now i've seen them in action a few times, so I know what they're capable of, however, i've never actually played against them.

Here's what i'm bringing to the table:
    3x Rhinox Cavalry: w/Standard Bearer, 2x Iron Fists, Bellower, Thunderlord, 3x Bull Rhinox. Points: 533

1x Gorger: Points: 75

3x Bulls w/ Light armour, and one guy with an Ironfist. Points: 118

3x Bulls w/Light Armour, Ironfists. Points: 128

3x Iron Guts, w/ Standard Bearer. Points: 164

3x Iron Guts w/ Standard Bearer + Magical Banner. Points: 189

2x Butchers 2/ Dispel Scrolls, Powerstones a piece. Points: 390

1x Bruiser w/ Heavy Armour, Wyrdstone, Greedyfist, Greatweapon. Points: 192

Grand total: 1,999.

And yes, Rhinox Cav are legal in this game. Any advice?

Kill his Hierophant (It'll be one of his Liche Priests) and you'll win without a problem. It's a total achilles heel.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok so I played some games a few days ago with my new TK. First I played 1k against a friend of mine, who plays orcs. My paltry 25 warriors, 8 horsemen and 3 chariots managed to see off 20 Orc big un's 20 savage orcs and 20 black orcs. I managed to get in an early flank with my chariots and just broke his units one at a time. Then I got lent the extra models to make it up to 2k, and ended up drawing in a 2v2 battle. Because of the number of models on each side, It was pretty much impossible to maneuver, and the skaven player holding down the flank I was attacking on just hit my infantry and we just ground each other down until we were pretty much both out of it. Both battles were fun though, and the Tomb Kings army is hella fun to play. Though Ive got to remember. Chariots are not Heavy Cav.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    no chariots are not , but on a flank they will chew through most infintry especialy if you plant your tomb king or prince in there. Hes the guy that makes a chariot unit a bit harder hitting. i mean getting an extra attack or extra mov from him so it frees up your other priests to help out the rest of the army.

and am i to assume you didn't have your casket against the skaven ? cause their ld is so low that would be an awsome tool of utter destruction.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Draeven wrote: »

and am i to assume you didn't have your casket against the skaven ? cause their ld is so low that would be an awsome tool of utter destruction.

I haven't been able to use my casket against skaven yet, but I've discussed it with my buddy who plays skaven, and we've come to the conclusion that it would be awesome against smaller units, but anyone running large units of clan rats is going to have a high enough unit leadership due to the strength in numbers rule to resist most damage.

I personally think that a pair of screaming skull catapults with skulls of the foe are much more likely to decimate a skaven army, and are actually cheaper.
    Although I did once have a bone giant tear through an entire unit of plague monks in one turn, so there's something to be said for that as well.

ON ANOTHER NOTE

I picked up a bottle of Games Workshop water effects. The shit was MEGA pricey, but I want to put puddles on some of the bases of my skaven mordheim band. Has anyone used this stuff? Do you have suggestions?

I plan on doing a test model first (obviously), but I'd rather not have to deal with any problems that can be avoided with sound advice.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I seem to remember something about the casket using the unmodified LD of the target, so even for a huge unit of clanrats it'd be 5.

I may be wrong, though.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I seem to remember something about the casket using the unmodified LD of the target, so even for a huge unit of clanrats it'd be 5.

I recall that too. I may have heard it from this very thread though, so I dunno how valid it is.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I may be wrong, though.

It's the base leadership of the unit, not the actual model in the unit. (According to the manager of my local GW).
    Meaning the unit gets it's strength in numbers bonus, but not a leadership bonus from a general or something.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    40 more empire soldiers to go before saturday.

I needs me some motivation.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    no chariots are not , but on a flank they will chew through most infintry especialy if you plant your tomb king or prince in there. Hes the guy that makes a chariot unit a bit harder hitting. i mean getting an extra attack or extra mov from him so it frees up your other priests to help out the rest of the army.

It was an option, but his ally was an O&G Player, and Im not a huge douche. Casket of souls is nice, but that would mean altering my list, and I really wanted to learn to use the list I had written.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The casket is greeeeeeaaaaaat against orcs and goblins.
    Downright amazing.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Downright amazing.

I know, but I would of been all like "Oh Skaven and Orcs? Ima dorpping 5 skeles and a catapult to take an I win machine" And that would of made me a huge dick.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jolly good show, Norgoth :^:

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Downright amazing.

Until I blow it the shit up with a well-placed Doom Diver.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    *writes "DOOM DIVER" on shopping list*

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    doom divers should be in every O&G list.

Unlimited range (are they still unlimited range? I forget now) artillery that gets to correct its deviation?

Fucking yes please. They're god-damned hero-killers, artillery-killers, basically perfect assassination tools to even the playing field and let the rank and file troops do their job without being harassed by some abominably strong or wicked unit the enemy has waiting behind the lines.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Downright amazing.

Assuming you..

A)Guess right
    B)Dont scatter
    C)Get at least 4 hits
    D)Get all 4 of those hits on the crew
    E)Score 4 wounds
    F)And your opponent fails his ward save (If he has one)

And If you fail on any of those points a single Incantation of summoning will restore it to full. Also warmachines die fast against the Casket, it only needs to beat your leadership by 3 to render the machine useless.

Best way to deal with the casket is Tomb Scorpians/Gutter runners/waywatchers/chamelion skinks/Spells which target individual models.
    doom divers should be in every O&G list.

Unlimited range (are they still unlimited range? I forget now) artillery that gets to correct its deviation?

Fucking yes please. They're god-damned hero-killers, artillery-killers, basically perfect assassination tools to even the playing field and let the rank and file troops do their job without being harassed by some abominably strong or wicked unit the enemy has waiting behind the lines.

No, they have a 60" range. For all intents and purposes there stone throwers that dont use a template. Id love to have a goblin army thats just 2 doom divers, 2 rock lobbas, 4 spear chukkas and as many fanatics and wizards thats possible. Just let your enemy advance, pounding them with magic and artillery, and let them charge your goblins. They then have to pause there charge 8" away as you unleash fanatics at them. Then two things can happen, either they get hit, or continue there charge, get hit and quite possibly stop on fanatics. If you do this, its possible to get 6d6 strength 5 amour piercing hits on a unit. Thats been smashed up by magic. And winged goblins.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    And here we have my Altdorf Swordsman regiment standard bearer. Which may double as a Griffon standard as needed.

standardbearer.jpg

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Looks cool man. Is that a Greatsword Standard bearer?
    Also, while we are posting pictures:
    Bennan.jpg

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    No, it's the limited edition standard bearer that came with my army box.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Downright amazing.

Like the man said, it's a single spell to bring it back to full strength.
    Which leads to at least 2 turns of hitting your entire army with it.

I would have brought it, simply because you need every edge you can get with the guys I play with.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
This discussion has been closed.