As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you like the Webcomics?

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    8-bit theater was great, I followed it for like the first 100 pages. But then it just got boring. But hey, there are some really crazy dedicated people on the internet who are willing to follow the most obscure shit until it dies a horrible, withered death.

I don't think 8-bit theater is exactly obscure.

And at any rate I think Clevinger gets a free pass for never, ever, ever taking himself seriously. 8-Bit Theater's only major fault is that it's parodied itself to the point where it's rolling into a quantum singularity.

Regardless, there is no excuse for being chummy with Tim Buckley.

Rust on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VGCats? I can enjoy it. It feels more like a storyboard than a comic, though - like if Scott Ramsoomair could animate this is how he'd do it. I think VGCats would work pi]much[/i] better animated, personally, and it would make his execution of jokes work better. As it is, though, it's a lot to take in and the joke is often crushed by his intention. A shame, really.

http://www.sheezyart.com/view/626574/?

No, the problem with vgcats is that it's simply not funny.

Y'know, Scott Ramsoomair didn't write that Flash toon.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VGCats? I can enjoy it. It feels more like a storyboard than a comic, though - like if Scott Ramsoomair could animate this is how he'd do it. I think VGCats would work pi]much[/i] better animated, personally, and it would make his execution of jokes work better. As it is, though, it's a lot to take in and the joke is often crushed by his intention. A shame, really.

Hm, this flash movie is not from the VGcats artist you say? Sorry then, I haven't brothered to check, I just remembered that one and thought that it was made by him (wasn't his comic to supposed to become an animated series at some point anyway?).

Well, but I still stand by my point, I just don't find his comics (or let's say 99,9% of them) funny at all.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Hm, this flash movie is not from the VGcats artist you say? Sorry then, I haven't brothered to check, I just remembered that one and thought that it was made by him (wasn't his comic to supposed to become an animated series at some point anyway?).

Well, but I still stand by my point, I just don't find his comics (or let's say 99,9% of them) funny at all.

You somehow missed the long-ass credits?

reVerse on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    WAIT - while typing this out, I think I get it. menstrual CYCLE, like motorCYCLE. THAT'S what I was looking for. Ok, there's the goddamn joke.

:-)

In RE: Sluggy Freelance. I started reading the comic when it had about... 4-5 years of backlog, but I just plowed through that like nothing, because it was a bunch of really amusing misadventures that really captured my interest. I followed it pretty religiously through most of college, but stopped reading it about 3 years ago. Now I can't get through even a week of comics, because it's so wordy. It's become more of a page-a-day graphic novel, but a graphic novel whose stories no longer interest me.

As for VGcats -- I really like it, my boyfriend hates it and every other webcomic I read, except for XKCD. *shrug* Chacun a son gout.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007

Since you got the sig, I should mention that Jump Leads shows promise. Not in my regular reads quite yet, but I've been checking in on it every few weeks.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, Lackadaisy Cats has updated! I think we're going to get to see Calvin indulge in his psychotic side...

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Perry Bible Fellowship is wonderful. Sgt. Grumbles is my absolute favorite.

But Achewood is the greatest webcomic I have ever read.

Whatever you have planned for the next couple hours - cancel. Visit Achewood. Read the strip from day 1.

That is all.

GameHat on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I never understood the appeal of Achewood. The art is terrible and it's not funny.

reVerse on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Liar. Achewood is the greatest thing since Calvin and Hobbes.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is me, seconding the fuck out of Wonderella.
    http://www.webcomicsnation.com/justinpie/wonderella/toc.php

Crimson King on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    reVerse wrote: »
    I never understood the appeal of Achewood. The art is terrible and it's not funny.

Sometimes things don't have to be funny to be super awesome. There may never be a story arc in any comic as great as the great outdoor fight.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

This is pretty much the perfect situation for the following phrase:

It's not for you.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This is me, seconding the fuck out of Wonderella.
    http://www.webcomicsnation.com/justinpie/wonderella/toc.php

She (Wonderella) talks a lot like Roast Beef.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Since you got the sig, I should mention that Jump Leads shows promise. Not in my regular reads quite yet, but I've been checking in on it every few weeks.

Very kind of you to say.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Very kind of you to say.

I also like it a lot aswell. May I also say what a handsome avatar you have.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »

Very kind of you to say.

I also like it a lot aswell. May I also say what a handsome avatar you have.

Aww, shyucks. Y'makin' me blush.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yahtzee takes on the world if you like Zero Punctuation you'll like this chronicle of his early (mis)adventures.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Achewood is rather polarizing.

I think that people who really enjoy language comedy love Achewood. So much of the Achewood dialect has crept into my own speech.

GameHat on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've found a couple of Achewoods I've really liked, but haven't been able to actually actively read the comic. Not sure why.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Achewood is certainly interesting, but something about it is offputting. That's an annoyance, as I'm sure I'd really like it if I just sat down and read it...

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

This is pretty much the perfect situation for the following phrase:

It's not for you.
    Truer words have not been spoken.

I read somewhere that the guy who does Achewood decided not to make the art very elaborate because he didn't want it to get in the way of the real focus of the comic (which is the writing, and it shows), and he didn't want it to prevent him from updating on time.

I also find myself often unable to explain why an Achewood comic is funny, I just know that it is.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I guess it's like saying, "Why is chocolate delicious?" or "Why are kittens so golly gosh darned cute?" - it is a question which one knows the answer to, but simply cannot vocalise. Humans do not have the capacity to explain these things.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    I've found a couple of Achewoods I've really liked, but haven't been able to actually actively read the comic. Not sure why.

I started by reading a few of the Achewoods I thought were hilarious - The End! No Moral, Ray gets sort of stoned, The SaniTaco Arc.

Then I started seeing bits of myself in Roast Beef and Téodor, with maybe a little Ray and Phillipe thrown in.

THEN I saw that Onstad maintained blogs for each of the characters, all written entirely in character.

Achewood is the first comic where I've actually gotten invested in the characters - it's still the funniest thing I've ever read, but damn it I just about wept for joy when
    Roast Beef finally proposed to Molly

The sheer genius and beauty of the Achewood universe is unparalleled. It really is the first comic strip I've found that belong in the ranks of C&H.

GameHat on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Well, IN MY OPINION, it's not funny, but I'll lime it unedited anyway. I like language humor, but, I dunno, Archewood is just... shit. To me, at least. I can't understand why people compare it to C&H.

C&H is godly.

Djiem on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

Well, IN MY OPINION, it's not funny, but I'll lime it unedited anyway. I like language humor, but, I dunno, Archewood is just... shit. To me, at least. I can't understand why people compare it to C&H.

C&H is godly.

I concur. Never understood the appeal.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know if I'd compare Achewood to Calving and Hobbes, but there's nothing still going on that can overcome my nostalgia for C&H. That being said, I think a lot of people don't give Achewood a fair shake because it is very character driven and basically requires a read through the whole archive. Yes, the first couple of months are a little rocky, but once you start to understand the characters you'll be glad you stuck in there.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Trevor wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd compare Achewood to Calving and Hobbes, but there's nothing still going on that can overcome my nostalgia for C&H. That being said, I think a lot of people don't give Achewood a fair shake because it is very character driven and basically requires a read through the whole archive. Yes, the first couple of months are a little rocky, but once you start to understand the characters you'll be glad you stuck in there.

I'm not sure that applies to everyone. Like it or not, some people will not like Archewood, no matter how many fair shakes they give it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    part of the appeal of Calvin and Hobbes was it's art was fantastic.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    part of the appeal of Calvin and Hobbes was it's art was fantastic.

I absolutely agree. I have the Calvin and Hobbes book set - um, forget the name, it's the one that's every comic, weighs like 40 lbs :lol:

Achewood is not about the art. I'll agree, the art in it isn't that great - though see The Cartilage Head arc for some genuinely beautiful scenes.

Why do I compare Achewood to C&H?

C&H had great art, and 2 well developed characters, with whom I could both relate.

Achewood has some pretty sparse art, and like 6 or 7 characters with whom I can relate deeply with. Plus about 5 minor characters that I just love.

C&H is simplicity perfected. A boy. His tiger friend. Youth. Summer. Astounding.

Achewood is complexity and pain - a depressive neurotic. A romantic. A wealthy manic playboy. A destructively hilarious drunk.

The child in me loves C&H and Philippe.

The adult in me aches along with Achewood.

GameHat on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't think they are similar, there's nothing really like Calvin and Hobbes right now, and probably never will be. If I had to compare it to a real-life comic, I'd say that Achewood has some similarities with Chris Ware's work (Jimmy Corrigan, Acme Novelty Library, etc), but what I was saying was that its genius is on par with C&H, or at least very close.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A large part of Achewood's appeal to me is Onstad's (and Onstad's characters') ability to use phrases that most people would outright laugh at in real life, but which make perfect, perfect sense. Like today. "You're a crazy man, Beef. Go to a dungeon." I totally get that, and the more I read Achewood the more I realize my own language is sort of shifting to Achewoodian.

Also, it's simultaneously the most fanciful, the darkest, the most absurd, the most realistic and the funniest comic I've ever seen, and if I could only have one webcomic exist, that would be the one.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, people say that Achewood's art isn't very good. I beg to differ. Onstead can deliver a ridiculously accurate depiction of emotion in just a few lines, so that's all he uses.

See:
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02022007

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Also, people say that Achewood's art isn't very good. I beg to differ. Onstead can deliver a ridiculously accurate depiction of emotion in just a few lines, so that's all he uses.

See:

I'm sorry, but I just really can't see anything funny in this.

Djiem on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The difference between achewood and most other comics, is the difference between hearing a funny story about a stranger, and a funny story about your friend. The story about the stranger needs to be much more outlandish and humorous for you to care, whereas the one about your friend you're already interested in, because it happened to your buddy.

It really illustrates to me the importance in creating likeable, identifiable characters - it makes people much more willing to buy into the story, as well as the humor involved.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Legorobot is back up.

Some of it might be NSFW, but it's a fantastic comic.

http://www.legorobotcomics.com/

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

See:

I'm sorry, but I just really can't see anything funny in this.
    I don't particularly like the art, either. I realize it's a stylistic choice, but the comparison just seems totally ridiculous to me.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but this was just recommended to me and it seems pretty good.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but this was just recommended to me and it seems pretty good.

I think I've just found a new regular comic.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Eh, I'd rather people not "get it" than have Achewood go with obvious punchlines and easy jokes.

Doc on